What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105 ... 195
Online now: DukeofNuke, Google [Bot], j_tso
user Stupid cockwomble
No, that was The Shootist (1976). He died of cancer a few years later.

Dad took me to see it, probably because he was excited that there was a new Wanye flick. He was really bummed that John died in the movie, though. I think he expected a hero piece.
Brannigan was shot in London when I was there and I thought it might be nice to see the city as I remember it.

The Unbelievers (2013) Dawkins at his most self satisfied, superior and smug. Avoid.
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
How To Train Your Dragon.

Good movie.
user Stupid cockwomble
Ribtor posted:
The Unbelievers (2013) Dawkins at his most self satisfied, superior and smug. Avoid.

I'll take that as a positive recommendation.
user posted:
Ribtor posted:

I'll take that as a positive recommendation.

You'll be underwhelmed.

Better off Jonathan Miller's "A brief History of Disbelief", or "The God Who Wasn't There", or "The Enemies of Reason" (by Dawkins) just to name three.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
Godzilla

Nicely done overall. I won't claim it's story or acting is really any better or different from most of the Heisei or Millennium Gozilla films (i.e. the one's from 84' - 04'), but that's OK, because I love most of them as they are. The action moving from The Phillipines, Japan, Hawaii, Las Vegas, and ending in San Francisco makes for a lot of guilty pleasure. Outside Cranston, the humans are mostly forgettable, but that's OK too--they're insignificant. It looks fantastic and gives us a real Godzilla. Can't say I wasn't entertained.
TOS
forget the title, but it was a long doc on fukushima on netflix

pretty ghastly stuff ... i hadn't realized the same design defect that cause problems (making the control room staff think there was lots of water in the reactor vessel when really it was dry and about to melt down) also happened at three mile island years earlier
bratboy so sorry I schooled you
Wolf of Wall Street.

I'm not convinced it had to be as long as it was, but we enjoyed it.
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
Continuing the Bond films: The Living Daylights. This has to be the one I've seen the least, and it's not a bad outing. Gotta say, I kind of like Timothy Dalton as Bond, he's not nearly as schmarmy as Roger Moore was.
user Stupid cockwomble
Roger Moore sucked as Bond.
Live and Let Die didn't suck, but I know what you mean. But, he was the guy playing Bond when I grew up, so he's the one I remember most. I was just a little kid when Sean Connery was playing Bond.
Pithecanthropus posted:
Live and Let Die didn't suck, but I know what you mean. But, he was the guy playing Bond when I grew up, so he's the one I remember most. I was just a little kid when Sean Connery was playing Bond.

I'm in the Connery #1 camp but the new guy really is the best of all the rest by far. Of course the whole style of the movies has changed for the better too.
X-Men: Days of Future Past

Good action, Magneto moves big things. Some plot moments made me think, "come on, hurry up".
Best of all, the events in the movie erase what happened in X-Men 3.
user Stupid cockwomble
Mystique keeps the green bod?
She's blue and yes, she does.
Are you color blind?
Pithecanthropus posted:

Roger Moore is still way better than Pierce Brosnan, and his first four Bond movies are all great (yes, Moonraker is FANTASTIC). You can only take this character seriously for so long, Moore played him as a joker at the right time.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Metacell posted:
Pithecanthropus posted:

Roger Moore is still way better than Pierce Brosnan, and his first four Bond movies are all great (yes, Moonraker is FANTASTIC). You can only take this character seriously for so long, Moore played him as a joker at the right time.

The Man With the Golden Gun: car chase, comical southern sheriff, stick fiddling corkscrew car jump to the sound of a slide whistle!
puh-lez :roll:
user Stupid cockwomble
That's problem: he played it as a joke and if you read the books and then watch the movies you want it grittier. Sean had it right, even Fleming said so.
Shrek.

It was very enjoyable, with several very funny parts.
user Stupid cockwomble
Just checked out the Blazing Saddles DVD - special features included a TV pilot: Lou Gosset as "Black Bart" - no human waste...
user Stupid cockwomble
"Richard Pryor wrote most of the Mongo stuff."
user Stupid cockwomble
"They wouldn't risk Pryor - the studio wanted to cast Flip Wilson."

:eek:

(for Cleavon Little's part)
user posted:
That's problem: he played it as a joke and if you read the books and then watch the movies you want it grittier. Sean had it right, even Fleming said so.

Not to mention Moore played it like the same character from The Saint and The Persuaders.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Well, that's his range, ya know ...
2001: A Space Odyssey

What in the hell?
user Stupid cockwomble
matt posted:

What in the hell?

I had the same reaction. Read the book.
matt posted:

What in the hell?

Watch it a few more times. Take some medicine first.
user Stupid cockwomble
I watched in the theater with my DAD (more of a John Wayne fan).
bratboy so sorry I schooled you
matt posted:

What in the hell?

My all-time favorite movie
TOS
matt posted:

What in the hell?

family legend:

an old friend of the family named sean sullivan was in that flick (one of the 'nauts on the moon) ... after the premiere he went up to kubrick and said, "stanley, what's it all about?"

kubrick shrugged and said, "you tell me"

but the book makes it clear ... all that freaky stuff at the end was dave bowman's body being rapidly aged till it died, after which his consciousness evolved into a being of pure energy (thus closing he loop started at the beginning, when the monolith leapt us forward from monkeymen to underwear-clad cigarette-smokers)

why stan the man couldn't just spell that out at least a little bit more is beyond me
user Stupid cockwomble
I just figured it was difficult to show. Most of what happened at the end was descriptive: The new being returns to Earth and stops a global nuclear war by making the weapons go poof - something that might be easier to illustrate convincingly nowadays.
Wall•E.

Really excellent. I laughed a lot during this movie.
bratboy posted:
matt posted:

What in the hell?

John Lennon's too. He thought it should be played 24 hours a day in a temple.
bratboy posted:
matt posted:

What in the hell?

I wouldnt say my all time fave, but it is in my top 10 for certain.
New Xmen movie. Rife with anachronisms, but a fun ride.
TOS
Pithecanthropus posted:

anachronisms? like what?
user Stupid cockwomble
Be Here to Love Me: A Film About Townes Van Zandt

I like his music, but man, did he like huffing glue.
TOS posted:
Pithecanthropus posted:

anachronisms? like what?

Here's a few: The technology for getting DNA from a small drop of blood didn't exist in 1973, nor did the level of lab sophistication that is shown exist. "Dark Side of the Moon" didn't come out until March of 1973, whereas the Paris Peace Accords took place in January (Quicksilver is wearing a DSotM T-shirt). RFK Stadium wasn't being used as a baseball venue in 1973 because the Washington Senators had moved to Texas in 1971.
TOS
Pithecanthropus posted:
TOS posted:
Pithecanthropus posted:

anachronisms? like what?

Here's a few: The technology for getting DNA from a small drop of blood didn't exist in 1973, nor did the level of lab sophistication that is shown exist. "Dark Side of the Moon" didn't come out until March of 1973, whereas the Paris Peace Accords took place in January (Quicksilver is wearing a DSotM T-shirt). RFK Stadium wasn't being used as a baseball venue in 1973 because the Washington Senators had moved to Texas in 1971.

ah

i can live with that
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105 ... 195