What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100 ... 196
Online now: Google [Bot], ukimalefu
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Cleaning crew?
You mean, the same guy that sold you the ticket, and the popcorn; and ran the projector ?
Star Trek. Are they kidding?

Gravity. Nicely done.
lleviathann The itch you can't scratch
DukeofNuke posted:
Cleaning crew?
You mean, the same guy that sold you the ticket, and the popcorn; and ran the projector ?

Now that you mentioned it...that guy did look awfully familiar.
C. Ives Lacks Critical stick fiddling Thinking
The reboot of Red Dawn. There are no words to express what a piece of crap this movie is.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
C. Ives posted:
The reboot of Red Dawn. There are no words to express what a piece of crap this movie is.

The Major and the Minor (1942), Ginger Rogers and Ray Milland

The Miracle of Morgan's Creek (1944) Betty Hutton and Eddie Bracken

Comedy doesn't get much better, especially given the subject matter and the times.
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
Dallas Buyers Club.

Good movie.
justine Elitist Beer Lover
matt posted:
Dallas Buyers Club.

Good movie.

I'm trying to find time to watch this. I heard it was really good.
Séamas Honorary Consul General
The Princess Bride.
My wife always talks about this movie, how much she likes it. And it seems she has a lot of company. People really love this thing.
Seemed half-done to me. Some of the acting/directing and production are like from a bad made-for-TV movie, and the main villain is a complete bore.
My kids (especially my daughter) really liked it--which makes sense, it seems like it is for the elementary school crowd.

The Bicycle Thief
This was totally impressive. Totally simple story, amazing scenery, heartbreaking story.
I stick fiddling hate people who steal bicycles.
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
Séamas posted:
The Princess Bride.
My wife always talks about this movie, how much she likes it. And it seems she has a lot of company. People really love this thing.
Seemed half-done to me. Some of the acting/directing and production are like from a bad made-for-TV movie, and the main villain is a complete bore.
My kids (especially my daughter) really liked it--which makes sense, it seems like it is for the elementary school crowd.

I'm one of the most cynical stick fiddlers you'll ever meet and I love that movie.
Pithecanthropus posted:
Séamas posted:
The Princess Bride.

I'm one of the most cynical stick fiddlers you'll ever meet and I love that movie.

I don't think it is the cynic in me that didn't care for it. I mean the overall story is perfectly fine.
I think that is why I rate it harshly--the directing, writing and acting don't do justice to the story.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
Séamas posted:
Pithecanthropus posted:
Séamas posted:
The Princess Bride.

I don't think it is the cynic in me that didn't care for it. I mean the overall story is perfectly fine.
I think that is why I rate it harshly--the directing, writing and acting don't do justice to the story.

When I saw it orginally, I thought, yeah, that was a mildly amusing cute diversion (I'm big on fantasy films). Years later it seems to have become the biggest cult classic of it's time. YMMV.
user Stupid cockwomble
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
Séamas posted:
Pithecanthropus posted:
Séamas posted:
The Princess Bride.

It's supposed to be campy. It's sort of the happy go lucky equivalent of Army of Darkness. If they had played it straight, it would have been a crappy, half-ass movie. As it stands, it was pure genius.

Yes, I love this movie too...
radarman posted:
Séamas posted:
Pithecanthropus posted:
Séamas posted:
The Princess Bride.

It's supposed to be campy. It's sort of the happy go lucky equivalent of Army of Darkness. If they had played it straight, it would have been a crappy, half-ass movie. As it stands, it was pure genius.

Oh for fucks sake, I'm very familiar with camp--this one just doesn't cut it for me at all.
The entire first act (especcially the scenes with Shawn, Andre the Giant and Mandy Patankin) was just plain wooden --nothing camp about it.
I sincerely thought Wallace Shawn had only been given the script minutes beforehand.

I'm not saying it should have been played straight--to me, the acting should have just had some type of consistent vision. It seemed to me each actor thought he was playing in a different type of movie.
Reiner is significantly hit and miss on this thing throughout his career.
Séamas posted:
Oh for fucks sake,

Anybody want a peanut?
Séamas posted:
radarman posted:
Séamas posted:
Pithecanthropus posted:
Séamas posted:
The Princess Bride.

Oh for fucks sake, I'm very familiar with camp--this one just doesn't cut it for me at all.
The entire first act (especcially the scenes with Shawn, Andre the Giant and Mandy Patankin) was just plain wooden --nothing camp about it.
I sincerely thought Wallace Shawn had only been given the script minutes beforehand.

I'm not saying it should have been played straight--to me, the acting should have just had some type of consistent vision. It seemed to me each actor thought he was playing in a different type of movie.

I think you are the sort of movie snob that makes me want to tuck a hand grenade (sans pin) in your pocket. People go to movies for this thing called “fun”, and I think your perception of what is fun is irretrievably skewed. The Princess Bride is a brilliantly beautiful film and very much on the “hit” side of Reiner’s film career. :p
TOS
"mitt" on netflix

actually quite watchable ... turns out the guy's a human being

i think it also shows how disgusting the whole process is if getting nominated then running, how the candidates become caricatures and the targets of endless insults
Warin posted:
Séamas posted:
radarman posted:
Séamas posted:
Pithecanthropus posted:
Séamas posted:
The Princess Bride.

I think you are the sort of movie snob that makes me want to tuck a hand grenade (sans pin) in your pocket. People go to movies for this thing called “fun”, and I think your perception of what is fun is irretrievably skewed. The Princess Bride is a brilliantly beautiful film and very much on the “hit” side of Reiner’s film career. :p

Meh, I'm not being a snob at all about it. I have fun at the movies and enjoy the hell out of them.
This was a decent kids movie, I thought the acting and directing was lacking and far too flawed to call beautiful. It could have been, but missed the mark in my eyes.

I really get a kick out of people who clutch pearls at the very idea that someone doesn't share their affection for human waste.

To the point of desiring them to die by explosives. Wonderful.

That said:
Monsters University
Hit and miss, had some fun moments, but one of those movies where it looks like Pixar is running out of steam.

The Muppets
On the whole I liked it. The original music was surprisingly good. The morose Kermit got tiresome after the half-way point though. I think the director and producers forgot to give Kermit some of his more energetic personality.

Trainspotting.
I remember seeing this when it came out. I was roughly the same age as the characters. Now I am seeing it more from the perspective of the main character's parents.
The style story and acting is great throughout.
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
user Stupid cockwomble
Séamas posted:
Monsters University
Hit and miss, had some fun moments, but one of those movies where it looks like Pixar is running out of steam.

I suspect it's more the result of Disney getting their wretched mouse paws on them.
What made Pixar great was they were allowed to do what they saw fit, including long development times, while Disney were solely the distributors. Now Disney's pushing them into sequels.

Guess we can look forward to teenage Dash, Violet and Jack Jack teaming up to save Mom & Dad from captivity with the Underminer.

Last edited by user on Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:38 pm.

user posted:
Séamas posted:
Monsters University

I suspect it's more the result of Disney getting their wretched mouse paws on them.
What made Pixar great was they were allowed to do what they saw fit, including long development times, while Disney were solely the distributors. Now Disney's pushing them into sequels.

Guess we can look forward to teenage Dash, Violet and Jack Jack teaming up to save Mom & Dad from captivity with the Underminer.

I'll take it. MOAR INCREDIBLES!!!

But I disagree, Pixar is still Pixar, and they make sequels for the franchises that sell more toys. Toy Story, Cars, and Monsters. And it started before the Disney acquisition. And their movies still say "Disney-Pixar" as always.

Same as how Disney has not ruined Marvel.

yet

I liked Monsters U.
user Stupid cockwomble
I am puzzled that The Incredibles has not been promoted as much as the other movies. I have a DVD that I bought as soon as it became available (actually bought it in a grocery) and it's starting to have some problems playing back. Saw the blu-ray at Wally World but thought I could get a better price later.

Now it's been years and that's the only copy I've seen aside from one for $42 at B & N.
TOS
pixar's emphasis on merchandising has me worried they're on the way out
TOS posted:
pixar's emphasis on merchandising has me worried they're on the way out

Emphasis? They've been selling toys since the first Toy Story! It's nothing new. And it's what Disney does too.

Marvel and Star Wars sell a lot of toys too.
user Stupid cockwomble
At least they don't design their movies solely to sell toys - unlike some the anime.
The fact that Disney owns frickin' EVERYTHING has me worried that armegeddon will come turn us all into cartoons.

Although wouldn't be so bad.
dv
Was watching Fantasia today.

Stuff that must have happened:

Sometime in 1939, one Disney animator showed another a sketchpad, and said, "Do you think these goldfish are sexy enough?"

At one point, somebody decided to leave in the uncomfortable pause before Stokowski acknowledges Mickey. (After the Sorcerer's Apprentice.)
justine Elitist Beer Lover
dv posted:
Was watching Fantasia today.

I saw that in the theater when i was young. :)
user Stupid cockwomble
Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

The American version. I'm following it up right now with the Swedish movies. She's prettier in those.

There's quite a few Macs. The American version has Tiger, including iPhoto and Photoshop CS. Lisbeth has a custom black skin on her OS. The movie shows her switching to X11 so she could run a full Boolean search in a UNIX text-based program. Very nice.
Fargo.

It's a decent movie, but I didn't think it was as good as all of the positive press it has gotten.

:shrug:
dv
matt posted:
Fargo.

It's a decent movie, but I didn't think it was as good as all of the positive press it has gotten.

The problem with watching movies everybody's spent a generation copying is that they seem derivative and quaint by comparison with everything that came after.

DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
... and Shakespeare's stuff is just a bunch of strung-together cliches .
dv
DukeofNuke posted:
... and Shakespeare's stuff is just a bunch of strung-together cliches .

It is now.

I mean, Hamlet, aka "WTFPIRATES?"
dv posted:
matt posted:
Fargo.

The problem with watching movies everybody's spent a generation copying is that they seem derivative and quaint by comparison with everything that came after.

see also: Blue Velvet
All About Eve
(1950)
I more or less knew the storyline, but have never seen it.
Betty Davis is great as usual, but I thought Anne Baxter (as Eve) was just awful. Her mode of delivery was so slow it was excruciating.
Thelma Ritter is fun, but is pretty much playing the same character she'll play again four years later in Rear Window.
One neat part of this is it has a very early appearance from Marilyn Monroe in a small part. I was never terribly enthralled by Monroe, but I must say she is magnetic in this and IMHO never looked better.
I was fairly disappointed.
Psycho.

Very interesting for the time, if not for the fact that I had some idea of what to expect.
bratboy so sorry I schooled you
matt posted:
Fargo.

incorrect opinion :worriedfrown:
bratboy so sorry I schooled you
user posted:
Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

The American version. I'm following it up right now with the Swedish movies. She's prettier in those.

uh yeah but then she went and made Prometheus and ruined everything for everyone
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100 ... 196