What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99 ... 195
Online now: Google [Bot]
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
C.S.A. It's not super well made, but it's a nice bit of entertainment.
TOS
taxi driver

still a great flick, but i still feel the romantic subplot should've been cut from the script
user Stupid cockwomble
The romantic stalker subplot or the romantic pedophile subplot?
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
NO, the romantic Teenage Hooker subplot.
user Stupid cockwomble
user posted:
... the romantic pedophile subplot ...

Might have been just that Jodie was a bit fresh for the role rather than her age in the movie.
TOS
romantic stalker
user Stupid cockwomble
I agree with you there. I found myself FFing past that crap, much as I wanted to look at the delicately young Cybil.
dv
Recently...

The Mouse That Roared
Stand Up Guys

Sorry if I mentioned one of them already. Mouse was hilarious.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
user posted:
I agree with you there. I found myself FFing past that crap, much as I wanted to look at the delicately young Cybil.

I think all those parts are really great, as they demonstrate the utter disconnect Travis Bickle has with the society and world around him. They set up the moral ambiguity of his character: he could go so either way in this movie.
Last movie I watched was Wreck It Ralph last night. Def' one of my favorite movies.

Last move I've seen for the first time was A Fantastic Fear of Everything staring Simon Pegg. I thought it was a really good movie.
Séamas Honorary Consul General
Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.
(1971) Wilder is totally inspired in this one.

It recently occurred to my wife and I what a total jerk Grandpa Joe is.
"Oh an opportunity to go someplace nice?
Hmm, Look I CAN walk!!! I can jump and sing and dance!"

Meanwhile Charlie's mom gotta work doing laundry 18th century style.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
Séamas posted:

This has been one of my favorites for years too, and one of the few I bothered to get a copy of. It's a shame most people will probably remember the crappy remake instead, but I can add this one to my list of great movies that were ruined by bad remakes.

Also, Grandpa Joe was a jerk in that movie for more reasons than just that. He was the uncouth individual that encouraged Charlie to try the fizzy drinks that got them chewed out at the end, never mind encouraging him to "steal" the gobstopper.
radarman posted:
Séamas posted:

This has been one of my favorites for years too, and one of the few I bothered to get a copy of. It's a shame most people will probably remember the crappy remake instead, but I can add this one to my list of great movies that were ruined by bad remakes.

Also, Grandpa Joe was a jerk in that movie for more reasons than just that. He was the uncouth individual that encouraged Charlie to try the fizzy drinks that got them chewed out at the end, never mind encouraging him to "steal" the gobstopper.

I think encouraging him to steal the gobstopper is his least of sins.
I mean, I've seen this several times since my kids were little, but I never paid much attention to what "Slugworth" was offering.
Charlie was growing up in a completely destitute home, and Slugworth offered him a way out of that--a nice home and more money than he could ever hope for.
Charlie at that point could only possibly hope that he would get a lifetime supply of chocolate from Wonka.
Charlie opts to keep the family living in a hovel in abject poverty but with a lot of chocolate.
Granted he was just a kid, but he could have EASILY had all the chocolate he could want if he took the deal from "Slugworth".

Of course Slugworth was a fraud, but Charlie couldn't have known that.
user Stupid cockwomble
radarman posted:
....the crappy remake...

Not sure I'd go around calling it that. It's a special case.

The Wonka version was regarded by Dahl and fans as a bastard movie that had little relation to the story. The Depp movie was an attempt to produce a version that was far more accurate.

I'd call it a crappy remake only if it the story was similar to Wonka.
Geesie Couldn't hit it sideways
user posted:
radarman posted:
....the crappy remake...

The Wonka version was regarded by Dahl and fans as a bastard movie that had little relation to the story. The Depp movie was an attempt to produce a version that was far more accurate.

"Crappy second adaptation" then?
user Stupid cockwomble
Perhaps. I didn't think it was so crappy.

It was just odd.
Not to belabor the point, but I thought Charlie was kind of a jerk for choosing Grandpa Joe in the first place. The man has been laying in bed (smoking, I might add) for twenty years.
Charlie never once bothered to think of bringing his mom?
When she wasn't doing that awful laundry job she was cooking, knitting sweaters and changing bedpans for the four geezers. She deserved a day off.

My wife thought the wife was too much of a downer to bring, but I still think he should have brought her.

She's no Racquel Welsh, but she isn't a bad looking woman either.
She could have tarted herself up and made Wonka take notice.
He's been busy banging oompa loompas since who knows when, and I'm sure if she came into that factory and showed what she could do to his gobstopper, she could turn that into a relationship--or find the means to get him on a paternity suit.
Either way, they'd be out of poverty.
user posted:
radarman posted:
....the crappy remake...

Maybe I just don't get Dahl, but I thought the Wilder movie told a better story than the book did.

I think the Burton version strayed pretty far from the book too, didn't it?
user Stupid cockwomble
Séamas posted:
user posted:
radarman posted:
....the crappy remake...

Maybe I just don't get Dahl, but I thought the Wilder movie told a better story than the book did.

I think the Burton version strayed pretty far from the book too, didn't it?

Quote:
Liccy Dahl remembers Burton entering Dahl's famed writing shed and saying, "This is the Buckets' house!" and thinking to herself, "Thank God, somebody gets it."
Dahl wan't around to say so, but his daughter seemed to think it was correct. Seems they actually had to tone it down.
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
I just watched Ender's Game yesterday, and have to say I was wholly disappointed. The story gaps omitted important development and depth; it lacked viciousness and therefore tension. Some changes just outright diverted from the story.

It was also obvious that the larger part of the budget went to special effects -- the size of the cast was glaringly obvious to me. There were three adults and about 20 kids in the cast. They couldn't come up with extras to stand around and make it look like this was really a school or a military academy?
user Stupid cockwomble
Probably pretended Ender never killed anyone.
user posted:
Probably pretended Ender never killed anyone.

Well, in the movie that's exactly what happened. In the book those facts were never revealed or confirmed to Ender until much later -- the bully he fought at the beginning and then Bonzo Madrid, who Ender was pretty sure he had killed.

I really hate to make it a book vs. movie adaptation grudge, because the movie, if it's good, should be able to stand up despite its adaptations, but this just wasn't good.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Robert B. posted:
I just watched Ender's Game yesterday, and have to say I was wholly disappointed. The story gaps omitted important development and depth; it lacked viciousness and therefore tension. Some changes just outright diverted from the story.

It was also obvious that the larger part of the budget went to special effects -- the size of the cast was glaringly obvious to me. There were three adults and about 20 kids in the cast. They couldn't come up with extras to stand around and make it look like this was really a school or a military academy?

They took a page right out of I Robot
user Stupid cockwomble
Watching The Last Airbender on telly right now.

Hard to take it seriously with Asif Mandi as a bad guy.
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Antisocial

Watch only if you're addicted to social networks.
-

Now, the quality is as good as the best SyFy original, so let me spoil it for you:

A "subliminal message" on a social network, intended to make people addicted to it, actually "changes" people's brains and generates some kind of tumor that turns people into some kind of zombies.

Great concept, poor execution.

And it has one of the visual effects I hate most in recent movies and tv shows, analog type distortion on digital screens.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
Robocop.

Meh. Not a patch on the original. I wouldn't say it was bad, but not much more than mildly amusing, and lacking not only the sharp edged humor of the original, but also the humanity and drama of Murphy slowly remembering his humanity. Most of the action sequences resemble a Ghost Recon video game installment. The only thing that's even an addition to the original is Murphy totally removed from his suit, which is truly nightmarish.

Wait for the rental.
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
Kids.

I feel nauseous.
Vulture 420
Escape Plan. Was pretty good, except that 50 cents was in it. The climax could have been bigger. Arnold is slowly getting his looks back, but obviously it's very difficult for him to get back in shape for some reason; his arms, once his biggest asset, look puny and he has no triceps anymore. Vincent D'onofrio was good, too, as was Vinnie Jones. Stallone looks like his face is settling in since whatever plastic surgery he had right before Expendables, and he is easier to take in this film.
lleviathann The itch you can't scratch
Ender's Game (pretty good)
Riddick (only good if you liked the others)
Labor Day (chick flick for V-Day. The Mrs. liked it and was tolerable for me)
dv
Pacific Rim

Fun.
TOS
LLEVIATHANN posted:
Riddick (only good if you liked the others)

after the epic awesomeness of the second one, i thought it was an apocalyptic letdown
Vulture 420
The Armstrong Lie. Very exciting documentary showing details about the people behind the entire controversy and the man himself, showing how much of a douchebag most cyclists are and why on a professional level because of the competition and secret drug use by everyone, as in every sport. I highly recommend it if you care or would like to understand how he was destroyed only because he was singled out and exposed. Had it been any other rider that won and was exposed for any reason, the results would have been the same on paper in terms of drug use and doping.
Jobs

meh, Pirates Of Silicon Valley 4eva!
The Act of Killing.

It's unsettling and somewhat bizarre. Feeling very nauseous now.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
Robert B. posted:
The Act of Killing.

It's unsettling and somewhat bizarre. Feeling very nauseous now.

I don't know anything about that other than the title, but that's probably enough. I still haven't recovered from the mistake of watching the Daniel Berg video.
Carrie (the latest remake). Sissy is still the best one. Not bad but after two (?) others it's completely predictable. Moore nailed the insane mom. I used it as an example to my kids that anything taken to extremes is bad including religion.

Thor: Dark World: Another Marvel Super Hero movie. Not great, not horrible, fun to watch and will more than likely see the next on when comes up for rental. The trailers for Capt. America 2 look promising.

::RANT:: FFS stop adding human waste after the credits. Movie ends, credits roll, done, enough with 'wait! there's more!' BS. This kind of crap keeps me out of the theater. Hello!?! Credits roll, lights come up, the illusion is over, the movie is over now let me go home dammit. ::/RANT::
dv
LLEVIATHANN posted:
Carrie (the latest remake). Sissy is still the best one. Not bad but after two (?) others it's completely predictable. Moore nailed the insane mom. I used it as an example to my kids that anything taken to extremes is bad including religion.

Thor: Dark World: Another Marvel Super Hero movie. Not great, not horrible, fun to watch and will more than likely see the next on when comes up for rental. The trailers for Capt. America 2 look promising.

::RANT:: FFS stop adding human waste after the credits. Movie ends, credits roll, done, enough with 'wait! there's more!' BS. This kind of crap keeps me out of the theater. Hello!?! Credits roll, lights come up, the illusion is over, the movie is over now let me go home dammit. ::/RANT::

The lights don't come up any more - theater managers have learned.
Remember when they used to have curtains in the movie theater?
Thor: The Dark World

:up:

--;
dv posted:
The lights don't come up any more - theater managers have learned.

Apparently not the manager here. human waste, the cleaning crews start swarming in before the credits are up.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99 ... 195