What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98 ... 195
Online now: Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot]
user Stupid cockwomble
Reminds me: What's up with the new Jack Ryan movie?

Another Tom Clancy Roadstand?
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
dv posted:
justine posted:
Turbo. I thought it would be A LOT better.

"Turbo" really should have been the title of the Wreck It Ralph sequel.

:(

?
justine Elitist Beer Lover
I just finished Gravity. What a great flick!
user Stupid cockwomble
Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy

Found a movie-branded paperback copy in my collection and it had a bit at the end about the arduous task of getting the movie finally made - seems the final boost partly came from Adam's own death.

Following it up now with a DVD copy of the TV show (rather poor quality - looks like my old VHS copy transferred to a disc).

edit: just been watching the "Making Of" section of the DVD - didn't realize that we've been treated with such a shot of Adam's naked bum.
I watched Frozen with the littles and if was good, but with all the hype about it, I expected a lot more from it.
TOS
kung-fu panda 2 (again)

still awesome
user Stupid cockwomble
X-Men First Class

DVD on TV

First time I saw it was downloaded from a torrent. When the opening scene started, identical to the first X-men movie, I was thinking, oh human waste, I got the the wrong fricken file!
Cloudy With a Chance Of Meatballs 2. It was cute.
user Stupid cockwomble
Heh.

Wolverine.

"fiddlesticks off."
Mortal Instruments. I liked it.
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
A couple of Charlie Chan movies. I wish Jackie Chan would consider making one.
user Stupid cockwomble
Rise of the Planet of the Apes

Nice that they let the apes win after all of the dreary earlier sequels.

Of course, they left it hanging that the all the other apes were going to lose big time.
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
Fruitvale Station

No one seems to know this movie, but it got 94% from critics on Rotten Tomatoes, and 90% from the general public.

I won't give away exactly what happens. It's a good movie, but it's very very sad. It's based in San Francisco, about a true story of something bad that happened that really shouldn't have happened.
You won't give it away? Everyone that watches the news knows what happens. And it wasn't really in SF. :p
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
Not everyone gets the same news coverage as you. And okay, Oakland. They were 10 miles away from San Francisco, and within walking distance of San Francisco Bay.
TOS
hm, interesting-looking movie, i wonder if they have it on netflix

ugh, that story made me so mad
TOS
fight club

first time watching it since it came out (around 15 years ago, lawdy lawd) ... it's quite good, better than i remember, lots of clever satire in there
dv
Galaxy Quest.
user Stupid cockwomble
You poor person.
Galaxy Quest is great.

"....but WHY??!!"
user Stupid cockwomble
I like the outtake on the DVD where Sigourney tears open her top.
TOS
galaxy quest was good, but it's just a shadow of what it would've been with the original star trek cast
Séamas Honorary Consul General
These are over the last 2 weeks or so.

Duck Soup
This is the first time my kids have seen it. They were slightly confused, but did have several moments of big-time belly laughs. ( I like to imagine my kids are related to the Marx's--my wife's maternal great grandfather was a Marx--from Alsace--just like their father).

There Will Be Blood
This movie had me thinking about it for days. I actually found the lead character more sympathetic than most viewers seem to have. I thought it was very well done and very intriguing and extremely well acted. Going to watch this again.

Gods and Monsters
I was hoping for much better. It sounded like the makings of a really interesting story. If this was about a heterosexual director behaving that way, everyone would go on about what a disgusting letch he was.

Manhattan Watched this before the whole Woody Allen "scandal" thing got churned up again. I saw this about 20 years ago, and probably enjoyed it more than the first time. Diane Keaton is brilliant, and Allen's acting is probably better in this than any of his movies. Probably his best looking movie and the writing is brobably just a notch below Annie Hall.

The Artist Disappointed in this. I was looking forward to seeing this for some time, and found it very underwhelming. I watch a good number of silent films, and perhaps have become accustomed to the manner of acting from that era. This was like watching a contemporary period piece with the sound turned off. The quality of the picture even looked like a color movie just converted to black & white. The story had just a single bit or two if interesting parts, other than that, meh.
TOS
Séamas posted:
Manhattan Watched this before the whole Woody Allen "scandal" thing got churned up again. I saw this about 20 years ago, and probably enjoyed it more than the first time. Diane Keaton is brilliant, and Allen's acting is probably better in this than any of his movies. Probably his best looking movie and the writing is brobably just a notch below Annie Hall.

oddly enough woody still thinks of it as his worst movie ... i believe he particularly loathes his own performance

personally i think it's the most beautiful of his movies ... i like the characterization that it's a love poem to a new york that never was
TOS
i'm currently watching "little big man"

still one of my all-time fave westerns
TOS posted:
i'm currently watching "little big man"

still one of my all-time fave westerns

One of my all time favorite movies, period. As a kid I was absolutely nutzo regarding anything about Native Americans, especially the ones on the plains.

My wife absolutely detested it. She was disgusted by the violence (which was supposed to disgust) and didn't think the humor was funny.
TOS posted:
Séamas posted:

oddly enough woody still thinks of it as his worst movie ... i believe he particularly loathes his own performance

personally i think it's the most beautiful of his movies ... i like the characterization that it's a love poem to a new york that never was

I didn't know he never liked that one.
The part of his acting I liked best was when he first meets Keaton's character. Much of what he is doing is small, physical reactions--almost identical to how my F-i-L reacts when he hears stuff he disagrees with.

I'm not sure if it was of the New York that never was. I mean yeah, the Gershwin makes it a bit much, but a lot of it seems very right.
I think he may have made sure the streets were clean when he shot though. NYC streets are kind of more like that now than back then when littering was an American past time, and when NYC was at it's apex of scuzziness.
TOS
Séamas posted:
TOS posted:
Séamas posted:

I didn't know he never liked that one.
The part of his acting I liked best was when he first meets Keaton's character. Much of what he is doing is small, physical reactions--almost identical to how my F-i-L reacts when he hears stuff he disagrees with.

I'm not sure if it was of the New York that never was. I mean yeah, the Gershwin makes it a bit much, but a lot of it seems very right.
I think he may have made sure the streets were clean when he shot though. NYC streets are kind of more like that now than back then when littering was an American past time, and when NYC was at it's apex of scuzziness.

well, it wasn't like the movie back when the movie was made, and now manhattan is becoming a 1%-er theme park, so ...
user Stupid cockwomble
Well, La de dah.

La de dah.
You're what Grammy Hall would call a real Jew!
TOS
wrong movie, dammit
user Stupid cockwomble
Rat Race. I love this movie!
The Lego Movie
I admit I didn't have high hopes for this to begin with, but that got tempered by hearing that the reviews were largely positive.

How this got positive reviews is beyond me.
I think there were *maybe* ten minutes of this that weren't hyper-kenetic jittery flashy heartless dogshit.
One or two of the jokes hit the mark fairly well, but the rest was boilerplate crap that's been done and done and done.

I find this type of movie tiresome. it reminded my of Wreck It Ralph which I also thought was pretty awful.

My kids liked it for the most part.
Forbidden World, aka "Mutant", an early '80s Roger Corman Alien ripoff. Tons of gore, tons of nudity. Sort of the ultimate Cinemax late night movie. I won't say it's a good movie, but it delivers. Worth the 99 cents I paid for it.
The Monuments Men.

Extremely well acted. It just felt a little too disjointed as it moved around... like it was trying to stuff in far too much story for a 2 hour movie, but felt it needed it all to properly get across the overarching theme, neatly tied up by the last two minutes.

I really liked it, but I can’t see it being an award winning film... probably why it got a february release instead of a December release.
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
Untouchables, which I'd actually never seen before. Good acting and look, but I prefer a little actual "history" in my historical dramas. It really had potential, but devolved into some sort of shlock by the end.

Fargo, which the love of my life had never seen. Being from Minnesota I can hear all sorts of problems with the accents, but damn that's a good movie!
sturner Ancient Soldier
justine posted:
Captain Phillips. Real good flick, even if most, if not all, isn't true.

Well, the sniper shots were.
sturner Ancient Soldier
Gettysburg.

I had to watch it again. Just got that urge for a little old fashioned Glory. What gets me with this movie is besides some of the more emphasised elements of social commentary, most of it is true.

Colonel Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain and the 20th Main, understrength, mostly unsupported, were the end of the Union line at Gettysburg. Had they been overrun, the Confederates would have rolled up the Union flank and the battle of Gettysburg would have ended on the 2nd day, and the war would have had a markedly different course. The brigade commander placed the 4 regiments on Little Round Top personally. The last thing Vincent told Chamberlain was: This is the left of the Union line. You are to hold this ground at all costs!

That is the single most chilling order any infantry commander can receive. Hold at all costs. Hold until relieved. Basically, die upon this ground.

Of all the points of history in the U.S., this one afternoon is one of the most pivotal and decisive. If one man can influence the course of a nation, then on July 2nd, 1863 on Little Round Top, Colonel Chamberlain was that one man.
sturner posted:
justine posted:
Captain Phillips. Real good flick, even if most, if not all, isn't true.

Well, the sniper shots were.

Yeah, but from what i read, the Captain was largely responsible for it all. He was apparently warned to stay 600 miles away from the Somali coast by the maritime board or the US but ignored the warnings. Other crew members have also stated that he wasn't exactly the likable guy that Tom Hanks portrays, and was in fact, pretty unlikable. Still, i thought it was a good flick.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98 ... 195