What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97 ... 195
Online now: Google [Bot]
Séamas Honorary Consul General
Donnie Darko.
This movie seems to have a good number of ardent fans. I thought it was OK, and seemed on the verge of being really good at times, but fell flat with me overall. Pretty good for a director's first movie.

The Deer Hunter
I was really looking forward to seeing this. I was about 11 when it came out, and have wanted to see it for quite some time but never had the opportunity.
I have always thought that 1967-1980 was something of special era when it came to good movies--and since this one had so many awards and great actors it was going to be something I would really enjoy.
I knew several bits about it: Steel Town, Vietnam, Russian Roulette, Rusysn or Russian ethnic community, etc.

I have to say I was a bit disappointed. I was initially confused as to when the movie was taking place--I was thinking that what i was seeing was the current time (mid/late 70s) and that the Vietnam part would be flashback--mostly because all the male actors has '70s hair and were wearing '70s style clothes. Even if it was supposed to be early '70s it just didn't capture that look--especially in how it would have been in a provincial dumpy steel town (where fashion would have been 10 years out of date).
I know it sounds like quibbling, but it is details like that that most of the great movies of the era nail down perfectly.
Another jarring thing was the hunting trip--I mentioned to my wife that we MUST go to those mountains as I had never ever seen anything like them in the east. Then I saw the deer--didn't look like a white tail to me. It became obvious that these Pennsylvania steel workers managed to drive that old Cadillac all the way to the Rockies and got back to Penn before the deer would rot on the hood.

The arc of the story was good and De Niro's performance was about as good as I ever saw from him--but I could totally see how the director's following movie could be such a lousy stinking bomb (Heaven's Gate). I think he really just got lucky in many ways with this movie.
justine Elitist Beer Lover
I wasn't impressed with Donnie Darko at all. A little to high on the weird-o-meter for me.
user Stupid cockwomble
I was pretty disturbed by the forced-suicide scene in DH. Don't care to see it again.
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
World War Z. I didn't read the book, so that's not what dissappointed me. I kept expecting it to go somewhere (other that geographically) and it just didn't.

On the whole, I prefer my zombies Romero.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
I might have actually enjoyed WWZ if it hadn't been deblooded for the PG13 rating.

I just got a copy of the anniversary edition of Dawn of the Dead on VHS just for this cover:
dv
Nightmare Before Christmas.
Trading Places
It occurred to me that I don't think I ever saw this in it's original form--I had only seen the Broadcast television version. Boobs.
Geesie Couldn't hit it sideways
mmaverick my steady systematic decline
It's a Wonderful Life. It's an annual tradition, and I cried... again.
I was unable to get to It's a Wonderful Life.

I did go through:
Muppet Christmas Carol
Elf
Charlie Brown Christmas
Rudolf
The Grinch (Chuck Jones)
dv
Thor: Dark World
juice Inadvertently correct
I've been hitting the John Wayne marathon pretty hard on AMC.

Rio Bravo

The Shootist (one of my FAVORITE movies)

Cahill, U.S. Marshal
dv
The hobbit starts in 20. Better get in line for popcorn.
Percy Jackson: Sea Of Monsters

I liked it, but i think i liked the first one better. But, the kids liked this one better than the first.
dv posted:
Thor: Dark World

And...um, what? Did you like it or not like it? Would you recommend others see this movie, perhaps with some proviso like "If you liked the first Thor movie then you'll probably like this one"? Did you consider going to the theater's office and demand your money back because they couldn't give back your time? Was "frisbee-ing" the DVD so it cracked up into a million pieces against a brick wall the only satisfaction you got from the movie?

Well, it doesn't have to be that detailed--just considering adding :up: or :brow: or :shrug:
dv
:up:

It was everything I expected. Including an irritating cliffhanger ending that reinforced my commitment not to die before 2018.
Turbo. I thought it would be A LOT better.
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
TOS
hobbit

tons of fun, way better than the first one
TOS
Séamas posted:
Donnie Darko.
This movie seems to have a good number of ardent fans. I thought it was OK, and seemed on the verge of being really good at times, but fell flat with me overall. Pretty good for a director's first movie.

The Deer Hunter
I was really looking forward to seeing this. I was about 11 when it came out, and have wanted to see it for quite some time but never had the opportunity.
I have always thought that 1967-1980 was something of special era when it came to good movies--and since this one had so many awards and great actors it was going to be something I would really enjoy.
I knew several bits about it: Steel Town, Vietnam, Russian Roulette, Rusysn or Russian ethnic community, etc.

I have to say I was a bit disappointed. I was initially confused as to when the movie was taking place--I was thinking that what i was seeing was the current time (mid/late 70s) and that the Vietnam part would be flashback--mostly because all the male actors has '70s hair and were wearing '70s style clothes. Even if it was supposed to be early '70s it just didn't capture that look--especially in how it would have been in a provincial dumpy steel town (where fashion would have been 10 years out of date).
I know it sounds like quibbling, but it is details like that that most of the great movies of the era nail down perfectly.
Another jarring thing was the hunting trip--I mentioned to my wife that we MUST go to those mountains as I had never ever seen anything like them in the east. Then I saw the deer--didn't look like a white tail to me. It became obvious that these Pennsylvania steel workers managed to drive that old Cadillac all the way to the Rockies and got back to Penn before the deer would rot on the hood.

The arc of the story was good and De Niro's performance was about as good as I ever saw from him--but I could totally see how the director's following movie could be such a lousy stinking bomb (Heaven's Gate). I think he really just got lucky in many ways with this movie.

my chief thought about the deer hunter is that it once more portrays americans as poor, innocent victims of the vietnam war ... i guess it reflects popular feeling on the subject but it doesn't make for a very sophisticated movie
TOS posted:
my chief thought about the deer hunter is that it once more portrays americans as poor, innocent victims of the vietnam war ... i guess it reflects popular feeling on the subject but it doesn't make for a very sophisticated movie

The people shown in the movie, i.e. poor, working class people, were the poor, innocent victims of the Vietnam war.
TOS
Pithecanthropus posted:
TOS posted:

The people shown in the movie, i.e. poor, working class people, were the poor, innocent victims of the Vietnam war.

it shows them going willingly, unquestioningly to war

and how about the vietnamese? fool that i am i tend to think they were the real victims
Commies don't count as victims.
I watched Planes. Wasn't impressed.
chikie The same deviled egg
justine posted:

It looks like Pixar, but was actually made by the division of Disney that mostly does direct to DVD.
chikie posted:
justine posted:

It looks like Pixar, but was actually made by the division of Disney that mostly does direct to DVD.

I'd be surprised if it made a lot of money off theater ticket sales.
The Hobbit.

Liked it a lot and would give it an unreserved thumbs up to fantasy action fans.

Also, this was the first time HFR (high-frame-rate) was shown at my local theater. I have to say I love this look and hope it catches on for action movies. The traditional 24 fps ruined a lot of my enjoyment of Gladiator (which was still an awesome flick). Unfortunately, I can see this killing of the the slow-motion sequence as it's now completely possible to follow a full-speed complex action sequence.

I get why some people think this technique makes everything look cheaper. It's the same reason B/W is so much more "atmospheric". The lessened reality achieves an almost painting-like quality that covers up a lot of production sins that would simply not be effective if you could watch "live" which is how HFR looks. Not really a problem with this film, but I imagine the stage-like fluid quality of it will bother some.

Doesn't mean I have no reservations about this film:

Just like the first one, the action sequences are extended to Temple of Doom level shtick, often rewriting chunks of the story just to have more flipping chunks of falling masonry, flying dwarves, and orc-elf-slashing-slinging-fu. At times I felt like "can't we just move the story along?" Nevertheless, it all looked cool.

Having the endlessly pursuing band of Orcs got just a little tiresome, as they become as impotent fodder as Imperial Stormtroopers. Same problem with Smaug. Now I realize that all this tech money needs to be spent on extended Dragon action sequences, but Smaug would have just toasted them all immediately. Over. The. Top.

Speaking of the story, I felt like Mirkwood got short thrift. What was there looked cool, but there was so much more atmosphere in the book. It was the one part I felt was rushed, and my favorite part.

Also, while it looked amazing, the Sauron reveal is just too soon and undoes all that research Gandalf does in the LOTR. They're never supposed to know for sure until much later.

Can't say I minded the addition of Legolas and Tauriel, although Tauriel and Fili? Come on, Elves and Dwarves just do not go there.

I couldn't agree more with your last two paragraphs.
dv
Metacell posted:
Can't say I minded the addition of Legolas and Tauriel, although ...

That and Orlando Bloom is not 22 anymore, and isn't really quite believable as an androgyn. Yes, it's amazing what they can do with makeup, but the guy is just squarer-built than he was as a kid. There were a few shots where the shape of his head just peeked out around the edges, and it was...

... actually, I was reminded of the flashback sequences in "Rules of Engagement," in which Tommy Lee Jones was using a scarf to hide his old neck. It wouldn't have been terrible, except that the scenes were in the Vietnamese jungle, in the summer. Everybody's all sweaty and grimy, and here's this stick fiddling uncouth individual in a scarf.
Winning

Starring Paul Newman, Joanne Woodward, and Robert Wagner. Newman is a race car driver whose career gets in the way of his married life.

It's not good, but it shows a variety of racing like Can Am, stock car, and the finale is the Indy 500. Paul got driver training during production which led to a successful career on the track.
agedgruel posted:
I couldn't agree more with your last two paragraphs.

...and while I'm at it, I'll address one of Pariah's complaints about The Hobbit, which is that it doesn't look as good as LOTR. I think the problem is that it looks too good. Every single set piece, every location, all the trimmings, each button, spoon, and fish hook looks like a Hildebrandt painting. Nothing looks natural, unlike most of the wilderness sequences in LOTR. Every damn thing in this movie is "enchanted." It didn't really bother me, because I figured it's what I paid for, but it is something I noticed.
I introduced my children to Plan 9 From Outer Space last night.
My son (9) appreciated its stupidity, but then admitted to it freaking him out when it was time from bed.

My daughter (7) just had a million questions through the whole thing. When I told her that one of the stars of the movie died wen they were making it she was totally confused. It's funny, she is usually a very perceptive little girl, but when it comes to movies and hoe they are made, she just gets confused at the reality/acting bit. (and she takes drama classes).
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Quote:
My daughter (7) ... takes drama classes.

:lol:

Your fate is what you make!

Let's revisit this issue about 7 years from now

;)
TOS posted:
Pithecanthropus posted:
TOS posted:

it shows them going willingly, unquestioningly to war

and how about the vietnamese? fool that i am i tend to think they were the real victims

I think the movie does a reasonably good job of showing why these particular guys go willingly, unquestioningly to war.

Unfortunately it makes the Vietcong captors cartoon-ishly evil.

That said, the "real" victims of war can always be found on both sides of any conflict.
DukeofNuke posted:
Quote:
My daughter (7) ... takes drama classes.

:lol:

Your fate is what you make!

Let's revisit this issue about 7 years from now

;)

Oh, she's been bringin' the drama since she was 2.
She's a real sweetie, but has displayed teenager postures for some time now. We are preparing for rough seas, trust me.
The General
1926 Buster Keaton movie.

I've seen a half dozen or more of his shorts in theaters and at home and have always wanted to see this --his most esteemed full-length movie.

I found it enjoyable throughout and am always impressed with his stuntwork, but this tended to get away from his strong comedy, it was more dramatic than most of his stuff.
Captain Phillips. Real good flick, even if most, if not all, isn't true.
dv
justine posted:
Turbo. I thought it would be A LOT better.

"Turbo" really should have been the title of the Wreck It Ralph sequel.

:(
Jack Reacher. It's like a taut, cat and mouse political thriller and a trite, cliched action movie mixed together. There are moments of interest and intrigue followed up by some of the most hackneyed dialog you've ever heard.

I can't wait for the sequel, Jack Reacher 2: Reacher Round.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97 ... 195