What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94 ... 195
Online now: DukeofNuke, Google [Bot], j_tso, ukimalefu
ukimalefu posted:
-Silent Running

If you keep in mind that this is an early 70s movie, it's not bad. I just wish they had filmed the original script.

SPOILERS
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silent_Running

Still, I wonder how the last creepy little robot and his forest are doing now.

I think I prefer the version they filmed.

It is a sad beautiful movie.
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Safety Not Guaranteed

:D

Loved it.

And not just because Aubrey Plaza is so stick fiddling attractive.
justine Elitist Beer Lover
Coraline. The kids spent the night last night since it's late start Wednesday. They aren't allowed to watch it at home, but i let them here. :)
user Stupid cockwomble
I started to watch Coraline, but it got creepy.
user posted:
I started to watch Coraline, but it got creepy.

That's why my daughter won't let them watch it. It does seem kinda creepy the first time you see it, but it really isn't that bad.
mmaverick my steady systematic decline
make it live action and it's rated R
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
Coraline is great...in 3D...and a friend with a doobie.
TOS
contagion

didn't expect it to be so intense
dv
Finally saw Despicable Me.

Kickass movie.
dv posted:

Kickass movie.

Despicable Me 2 is a lot better, and even better in 3D.
dv
justine posted:
dv posted:

Kickass movie.

Haven't seen it yet, but it's in the Netflix queue.

December 10th. Woohoo.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
justine posted:
dv posted:

Kickass movie.

Agreed! :up:
Blackfish

(Note: when I posted this in Warin's chain asking for travel suggestions while he and family will be in Florida next month, what I knew of the movie was based on the linked article given at the above.)

Now I have watched the documentary and the keeping of orcas is much worse than I could have believed.

Do you know how long orcas live? If you ask Sea World they are forced to say something like "Our orcas live fulfilled lives of between 25 and 35 years" but in reality we don't know because our tracking of orcas simply isn't long enough. There are some who contend that in the wild male orcas live between 50 to 70 years while some females may exceed 100--being the apex predator in a matriarchal society has its benefits--so the usual excuse that zoos give (that they extend the lives of their animals) may not apply.

The movie focuses on Tilikum, a male orca who has been responsible for involved in the deaths of 3 trainers (so far) and a long list of trainer injuries. The documentary-makers found some of the people who were involved with Tilikum's capture about 30 years ago and the tale they tell is tragic: his pod was being chased by boats into the fjords of British Columbia (I think--back then such captures were allowed in Canada). Apparently the pod arranged a ruse: most of the adults continued forward along one branch on the surface to be chased by the boats while a couple of the adults and all of the juveniles dove down and took another branch. Unfortunately orcas do have to surface and the humans had support aircraft watching for the juveniles. Why juveniles? For ease of transport and training, but one of the interviewees got turned from his job of capturing orcas because he watched the rest of the pod gather as close as they could calling out while the penned juveniles were taken aboard one of the boats.

Tilikum spent his first years in captivity at a cheesy marine park in Victoria, BC, called Sealand of the Pacific. There he was subject to nearly daily abuse from the then-larger females there--remember: matriarchy--because he simply had nowhere to go in the too-small pool in which they kept their orcas. In the wild male pod members sometimes hang around with their pod into their teens, but of course Tilikum was NOT a pod member to those females, so at times the trainers would find that he had been raked (an orca opens his jaws and rakes his teeth on another) almost from nose to tail in the morning. It was at Sealand that Tilikum's first trainer death "happened" (according to the news reports) which eventually led to the closing of Sealand. The owners sold their orcas to Sea World.

The reason why I use such equivocating language in describing the deaths of the trainers is because the sea parks do this, usually using terms which places at least some of the blame on the trainers themselves. When Dawn Brancheau (the third trainer) died in 2010, at first Sea World claimed that she slipped and fell into the orca pool but they quickly had to backtrack because it was contrary to the reports of audience witnesses (Brancheau was lying in a shallow zone next to the deeper water interacting with the orcas when she was pulled in). The official story is that she was grabbed by Tilikum by her ponytail (ah, so who's fault was that? Tsk, tsk: she shouldn't have had that ponytail) but there are witnesses who said that she was dragged in by her arm.

To be sure: it might have helped if the documentary was able to include something from Sea World but they declined to comment.

Recommended, but not something to watch when depressed.
I tried watching Oz The Great And Powerful. I don't think i lasted a half hour.
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
Zombieland.

I wasn't expecting much, but this movie was really fun.
dv
Superman: Unbound.

What?

Also, watched the first half of Wreck-It-Ralph.
dv posted:

What?

Wreck It Ralph doesn't get interesting until the little girl comes along.
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
"Star Trek: First Contact" for about the millionth time. God, I love that movie!
user Stupid cockwomble
2001: A Space Odessy because on Friday Alec Baldwin interviewed the actors who played the jupiter astronauts. Even tried to Dark Side it but decided you simply have to be high for that to "work".

Then watched Big Trouble In Little China because I was at that stage in the evening where it seemed to be a good idea. Guess I was just thrilled to be alive.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Quote:
Even tried to Dark Side it but decided you simply have to be high for that to "work".

Isn't that "The Wizard of Oz" you do that to ?
user Stupid cockwomble
Oh, human waste, you're right. I was supposed to use "Echoes". No wonder.
dv
justine posted:
dv posted:

What?

Wreck It Ralph doesn't get interesting until the little girl comes along.

Oh, I know - I saw it in theaters. I was just killing time before bed, trying to catch a few more of the video game references they threw in there.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
user posted:

Oh, I didn't know about that.
Wasn't PF supposed to do the soundtrack for 2001 ?
user Stupid cockwomble
DukeofNuke posted:
user posted:

Oh, I didn't know about that.
Wasn't PF supposed to do the soundtrack for 2001 ?

No. Alex North, who did Dr Strangelove, atually wrote a score but Kubrick decided he liked the classical pieces that were intended to be only temporary place-holders.
I gave up after watching 75 minutes of Cloud Atlas. I got used to the scattershot way it had of interweaving threads from different time periods, but I just didn't care what happened to any of the characters (at least not enough to continue).
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Monsters University

:up:
user Stupid cockwomble
DEyncourt posted:
I gave up after watching 75 minutes of Cloud Atlas. I got used to the scattershot way it had of interweaving threads from different time periods, but I just didn't care what happened to any of the characters (at least not enough to continue).

Wachowski.

nuff said
C. Ives Lacks Critical stick fiddling Thinking
ukimalefu posted:
Monsters University

I just watched that yesterday. I liked it. It was even better than when they called it "Revenge of the Nerds."
user Stupid cockwomble
C. Ives posted:
ukimalefu posted:
Monsters University

I just watched that yesterday. I liked it. It was even better than when they called it "Revenge of the Nerds."

Ahhhh............hair pie..........
TOS
forrest gump

haven't seen it in almost 20 years, then it just pops up on netflix
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
This Is The End.

stick fiddling goofy, but fun.
Has anybody seen "John Dies At The End"? Is it worth it?
TOS
matt posted:
This Is The End.

stick fiddling goofy, but fun.

i was disappointed, though it had its moments

channing tatum's cameo had me laughing my butt off
Alexander Supertramp this was uncalled for.
TOS posted:
forrest gump

haven't seen it in almost 20 years, then it just pops up on netflix

I watched most of it the other day. It's still great for the most part. Made me happy.
Dazed and Confused

and now ... Dogma
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
comfort movies ?
Running Scared (1986). Billy Crystal & Gregory Hines play wise-cracking buddy cops, who are so much buddies they even vacation together. Also starring a very young Jimmy Smits as the bad guy, a very, very young Joe Pantoliano (Cypher in the Matrix) and a very young ... oh, hell, everybody's young.

I remember seeing it in the theater back in 86. It's not bad. It's not great.
DukeofNuke posted:
comfort movies ?

Up late and they were on. Forget the fact that i own both. :lol:
user Stupid cockwomble
Pithecanthropus posted:
Running Scared (1986). Billy Crystal & Gregory Hines play wise-cracking buddy cops, who are so much buddies they even vacation together. Also starring a very young Jimmy Smits as the bad guy, a very, very young Joe Pantoliano (Cypher in the Matrix) and a very young ... oh, hell, everybody's young.

I recall it being a bit odd. Suddenly they're in the tropics....didn't that movie also have Peter O'Toole and Twiggy in it?

I'd like to see White Knights again.
user posted:
Pithecanthropus posted:

I recall it being a bit odd. Suddenly they're in the tropics....didn't that movie also have Peter O'Toole and Twiggy in it?

I'd like to see White Knights again.

They were sent on a brief vacation, so they went to Key West. While there they decide to cash in their pensions, use some inherited money and open a bar. They even show scenes of them filling out all the paperwork. Later, back in Chicago, they decide to say "fiddlesticks it" and remain cops, the movie ends there, so we don't get to see the horrendous legal hassle they'd have to go through to undo all that paperwork they did. Frankly, I can't see it happening, banks don't just cancel mortgages.

Anyway, I kept laughing because every time they'd bust into a room or an alley or anything, they'd jump out fully exposed to whatever firepower someone wanted to have pointed at them. Horrible tactics.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94 ... 195