What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92 ... 195
Online now: No visible users
user Stupid cockwomble
Paxton was stick fiddling GREAT in Aliens.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
The point: if he isn't going to be that character always, he's forever after a disappointment.
user Stupid cockwomble
I don't know, I liked the used car salesman who wastes his pants.
dv
justine Elitist Beer Lover
user posted:
I don't know, I liked the used car salesman who wastes his pants.

Great great movie!
TOS
the phantom menace, with my two-year-old

he hated it

did me proud, he did
Séamas Honorary Consul General
Avengers (2012)
Meh.
After seeing this I realized two things:
1. This type of movie is just NOT my thing at all. Certain actor/characters were OK, but most were just boilerplate--or totally insipid. The effects were just unconvincing (some of the green screen stuff was just awful) and carried no weight. Seemed every scene was taken from a storyboard from some other movie.
2. I think this type of human waste is a big reason why 2013 was such a bad year/summer for movie attendance. If you saw this in 2012, you pretty much saw every action movie and scene around, so there would be nothing much to see in 2013.

Last edited by Séamas on Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:47 pm.

Pithecanthropus Roast Master
Stripes.

Although I despise Bill Murray's "man child" character, I love a lot of the bits. Also, I realized that phrases that have made it into my (almost) everyday speech came from that movie. How many times have I screwed something up and uttered in a fake eastern European accent, "Son of uncouth individual. human waste."?
user Stupid cockwomble
That's the fact.

Jack.
user posted:
That's the fact.

Jack.

Instead of Bill Murray, i'm hearing Uncle Si. :lol:
Quadrophenia
I saw this once or twice over 20 years ago, gave it another shot.
Some of it is extremely well done and the delving into the life of the Mods and their war with the Rockers is pretty good and it looks to me like they got their period details right. Music is great. That said, I always thought Townshend's stories were lacking in a lot of respects--he likes to go after high concepts but gets distracted. Still entertaining, and Sting has a part in it.

Never understood how a whole group of people (adults) would get to thinking scooters with a ton of mirrors would be cool.
user Stupid cockwomble
Bellboy!!! (from Four Rooms)

I've only seen it once on a date about the time it came out in the theatre. I need to see it again.

And I need to put a moderate quantity of mirrors on my Volkswagen.
I've loved The Who since I was a little kid, but I never got the point of the mods. It seemed like a cult dedicated to extreme partying and drug use, but otherwise dedicated to very normal, middle-of-the-road lifestyles.
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Hanna

:up:

If you like things like Nikita or the Bourne movies, you'll like this.
Metacell posted:
I've loved The Who since I was a little kid, but I never got the point of the mods. It seemed like a cult dedicated to extreme partying and drug use, but otherwise dedicated to very normal, middle-of-the-road lifestyles.

I was reading up on it--

The thing about the Mods was that they were largely from the working class areas of London, but liked to pretend that they were of a more elite class.
It largely coincided with the UK slowly emerging from pretty severe economic deprivation.
Very into all things Italian: Italian tailored suits, Italian haircuts--as well as the Scooters, which they chose because all their moving parts were within the chassis, so their clothes wouldn't get ruined. The large raincoats helped keep their suits clean.
The only thing not Italian that they were into was British Pop Art, American R & B and earlier on, Modern Jazz.

Apparently the Rockers and the Mods really didn't have that much interaction. The Mods were pretty much a London only thing, and the Rockers were mostly from more of the outskirts and other cities.

A couple years back my wife and I went out with friends to some club in NYC's Lower East Side--the whole place was filled with people dressed like 1964 Mods. Kinda strange to see a subculture based upon another subculture.

I never really understood pill-popping. That kind of thing always scared the crap out of me.
TOS
Séamas posted:
Metacell posted:

I was reading up on it--

The thing about the Mods was that they were largely from the working class areas of London, but liked to pretend that they were of a more elite class.
It largely coincided with the UK slowly emerging from pretty severe economic deprivation.
Very into all things Italian: Italian tailored suits, Italian haircuts--as well as the Scooters, which they chose because all their moving parts were within the chassis, so their clothes wouldn't get ruined. The large raincoats helped keep their suits clean.
The only thing not Italian that they were into was British Pop Art, American R & B and earlier on, Modern Jazz.

Apparently the Rockers and the Mods really didn't have that much interaction. The Mods were pretty much a London only thing, and the Rockers were mostly from more of the outskirts and other cities.

A couple years back my wife and I went out with friends to some club in NYC's Lower East Side--the whole place was filled with people dressed like 1964 Mods. Kinda strange to see a subculture based upon another subculture.

I never really understood pill-popping. That kind of thing always scared the crap out of me.

i believe part of the movie was based on an actual event in the early 60s when mods and rockers really did have a big rumble by the seashore

edit: bingo
user Stupid cockwomble
Quote:
... two years later, most Mods had turned their attentions to the burgeoning, more laid-back, hippie culture.

Oh human waste! THAT'S where they came from!
Sweet Charity. A terrible film. Sammy Davis had the only good bit.
TOS
user posted:
Quote:
... two years later, most Mods had turned their attentions to the burgeoning, more laid-back, hippie culture.

Oh human waste! THAT'S where they came from!

epic
dv
Star Trek: Into Darkness.

So many inconsistencies. But... once again, where the hell was the rest of the fleet? Or the Klingon fleet? Or the pencil-pushers who should have prevented Marcus's plans from being implemented? Or the...

aw hell. :roll:
TOS
dv posted:
Star Trek: Into Darkness.

So many inconsistencies. But... once again, where the hell was the rest of the fleet? Or the Klingon fleet? Or the pencil-pushers who should have prevented Marcus's plans from being implemented? Or the...

aw hell. :roll:

they traded it all for lens flare
chikie The same deviled egg
You say that as though all those things existed in other star trek films.
user Stupid cockwomble
"Why doesn't the captain just throw that jerk in the brig?"
dv
chikie posted:

When the 1701-D needed backup, there was usually a few other starships and an intransigent admiral or four around to make a mess.

Same for a lot of Enterprises run, for that matter.
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
Beeeeaaaaaammmmmm.

The mineral we're looking for is 3 kilometers in that direction, Captain.

(So why didn't they just beam in 3 kilometers in that direction????)
user Stupid cockwomble
MINERS, not minors!
New Trek is garbage. They had to give it a hip-hop soundtrack so the kids would know Capt. Kirk was a pimp.
jkahless Custom Title
chikie posted:

Or TV series. Just imagine the first episode of Voyager.

"Captain, if we destroy the array we'll strand ourselves in the delta quadrant!"

"Don't worry, we'll put the bomb on a timer."
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
That was my first thought when I saw that episode. Gigantic plot hole.
TOS
hey, using voyager as an example is really unfair

i'd be remiss if i didn't point out that ds9 had countless, magnificently epic battle scenes involving vast numbers of ships

even tng had a couple, but the thing to remember is that the whole point of star trek is that the enterprise is on the frontier, exploring unknown areas; it's not in the heartland with the fleet
dv
TOS posted:

i'd be remiss if i didn't point out that ds9 had countless, magnificently epic battle scenes involving vast numbers of ships

even tng had a couple, but the thing to remember is that the whole point of star trek is that the enterprise is on the frontier, exploring unknown areas; it's not in the heartland with the fleet

Earth and Qo'Nos are not, not, not "the Frontier."

That's the problem.
TOS
dv posted:
TOS posted:

Earth and Qo'Nos are not, not, not "the Frontier."

That's the problem.

yeah well most of the time was spent out in the boonies
Sweet Smell Of Success, 1957. Tony Curtis and Burt lancaster.

A sleazy press agent and a twisted columnist square off. I like films that tear away at the veneer of 50s respectability.
Wreck-It Ralph

A very enjoyable all-animation flick, but pay attention to that PG rating: this isn't a cartoon to serve as a baby sitter for your 5-year-old.

Although this movie was issued under the Disney Studios label, it does share the Pixar sensibility of a nearly complete world story that is neatly explained (not without some minor plot holes). I think that the primary audience of this movie was people who are old enough to remember the video game revolution represented by games like Pac-man and Donkey Kong (so the second generation following the initial one with the very limited animation of Pong and Asteroids), but that nostalgia trip isn't required to enjoy this movie.

From the notes at IMDB I read that unlike a lot of animation where the voice actors are recorded separately and alone, at least portions of Wreck-It Ralph were recorded with several actors in the recording studio which enabled them to improvise.

Rather than attempting to explain the premise, I'll leave that job to the movie itself--just watch it. I'm pretty sure that most will enjoy it.

<Um, basically copied from here>
I have Wreck It Ralph on the DVR. Maybe i'll watch it tonight.

Watching White Chicks right now. Love the flick. Hate the commercials!
Attack of the Puppet People 1958

Cheesy bad B-movie from American International Pictures
Plot and special effects are pretty lousy (but fun), but the actor playing the evil (but nice) bad guy was pretty entertaining.
The Human Centipede
I knew it was gonna be gross and sick, but was surprised at how well certain tensions would build up. Acting not as bad as I would have predicted.

I must remember to not allow my daughter to drive until she knows how to change a tire.
Séamas posted:
The Human Centipede
I knew it was gonna be gross and sick, but was surprised at how well certain tensions would build up. Acting not as bad as I would have predicted.

I must remember to not allow my daughter to drive until she knows how to change a tire.

Key & Peele sketch about it
That is really funny.
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
Shaun of the Dead.

Awesome.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92 ... 195