What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87 ... 195
Online now: gd, Google [Bot], maurvir
user Stupid cockwomble
I had never heard of the first one but now after seeing the ads for RED2 I want to see it.

edit: On TNT tonite!

Damn, was that Borgnine's last movie?
TOS wrote:
oh and i just watched "in the loop" ... great flick, lots of humor but daaaaaark

You should watch "The Thick of It". Capaldi plays his Malcolm Tucker character in a brit-com series about inept ministers and the even more inept opposition. The finale of the last season where everyone is called before an inquiry is even darker than "In The Loop".
user wrote:
I had never heard of the first one but now after seeing the ads for RED2 I want to see it.

edit: On TNT tonite!

Damn, was that Borgnine's last movie?

No. But if he'd lived a little longer, RED2 would have been... they wrote an extended part for him that was retooled after he passed.
justine Elitist Beer Lover
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
couldn't help yourself ?
I have no idea why i thought it would be at least amusing.
Hey, have you been feeling that many recent movies feel like they have been stamped out of a machine? Well, there's a reason for that.
dv
DEyncourt wrote:
Hey, have you been feeling that many recent movies feel like they have been stamped out of a machine? Well, there's a reason for that.

Neat.
user Stupid cockwomble
I can just see the studio execs insisting on screenwriters using that book out of fear of losing.
I watched Dead Zone and Interview With The Vampire last night. I went back and forth between the 2, since i've seen them both before many times. As dated as they are, they're still great flicks.
user wrote:
I can just see the studio execs insisting on screenwriters using that book out of fear of losing.

Or, worse, they will tell editors to arbitrarily edit movies to fit the formula.
Séamas Honorary Consul General
Bonnie & Clyde 1967

We missed the first five minutes or so, but it's a fun enough movie, and it is cool to see something that was something of an industry game-changer.
It's definitely a glamorized depiction, but well told story.
Faye Dunoway is gorgeous, as are the cars.
Séamas wrote:
Bonnie & Clyde 1967

We missed the first five minutes or so, but it's a fun enough movie, and it is cool to see something that was something of an industry game-changer.

Warren Beatty was the best Clyde ever. But they did choose likable actors to play the parts. The studios like to romanticize villains, as do authors.
user Stupid cockwomble
:: posts Rolling Stone cover ::
Dunaway's great. Check her out in Network. Sharon Stone was her successor but now who follows her?

Hitchcock. Good fun with Hopkins and Mirren and Scarlet Johannson slimmed down as Janet Leigh. I wish they'd shown more of the actor playing Anthony perkins. He was dead on.
jkahless Custom Title
Watched Gran Torino last night. Not bad. Hard to really enjoy a film when you spend 3/4s of it hating the main character because he's a bigoted uncouth individual fuckhead.
dv
jkahless wrote:
Watched Gran Torino last night. Not bad. Hard to really enjoy a film when you spend 3/4s of it hating the main character because he's a bigoted uncouth individual fuckhead.

The growth and redemption is the point of the story. :shrug:
jkahless Custom Title
I get that. Doesn't make the film enjoyable though.
dv
Yeah, I cringed too.

But I spotted where it was going as soon as I realized how annoying his kids and grandkids were, so I hung in there for a happy ending.
user Stupid cockwomble
dv
user wrote:
Happy ending?

Redemption? Martyrdom? Dying on his terms vs. being eaten alive by cancer, and having a death that meant something and helped someone?

Look, I have 82 year old grandparents. To them, a "happy ending" is dying in their sleep before the other one does. Everything's relative.
jkahless Custom Title
I don't really see him as redeemed, just as redeemed as he was going to get. He was still full of hate and bigotry, just not quite as much as before.
dv
jkahless wrote:
I don't really see him as redeemed, just as redeemed as he was going to get. He was still full of hate and bigotry, just not quite as much as before.

Quote:
Everything's relative.

juice Inadvertently correct
dv
Okay, movie marathon last night. Saw "Snitch" and "Gangster Squad."

I definitely liked the second one better.
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
Last night I was laying in bed, and Young Frankenstein was on. I've seen it before, but I watched it again, for probably the fifteenth time.

It is still funny.
TOS
justine wrote:
Séamas wrote:
Bonnie & Clyde 1967

Warren Beatty was the best Clyde ever. But they did choose likable actors to play the parts. The studios like to romanticize villains, as do authors.

they do now ... until the late 60s the bad guys were rarely likeable
matt wrote:
Last night I was laying in bed, and Young Frankenstein was on. I've seen it before, but I watched it again, for probably the fifteenth time.

It is still funny.

One of the joys in my life are hearing my two children (6 and 8) quoting lines from that movie to each other and laughing their heads off.

They have also seen Monty Python and the Holy Grail (I forward through the Castle Anthrax part).
I can't think of any funnier movies that I can let them watch at this age.
jkahless Custom Title
It's hard to think of funnier movies that do cross the parental guidance lines!
Yeah. Though we talk to the kids frequently about bigotry and race issues, were holding off on Blazing Saddles for the time being.
I need to see History of the World Pt 1 again.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
High Anxiety is mostly safe, IIRC. History is extremely bawdy. It's got a dance of the seven veils scene and the whole Queen of France gangbang scene. Not for kids.

I loved Marty Feldman's The Last Remake of Beau Geste at that age, though I'm sure I didn't get half of the jokes.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
Gene Wilder as Sherlock Holme's Smarter Brother is funny and mostly safe. Marty Feldman as well. I think anything with Marty Feldman had me in stitches as a kid.
user Stupid cockwomble
TOS wrote:
justine wrote:
Séamas wrote:
Bonnie & Clyde 1967

they do now ... until the late 60s the bad guys were rarely likeable

Part of the censorship of the time. You couldn't show the flick if the bad guys weren't made to be totally despicable.
user Stupid cockwomble
Metacell wrote:
High Anxiety is mostly safe, IIRC. History is extremely bawdy. It's got a dance of the seven veils scene and the whole Queen of France gangbang scene. Not for kids.

Yeesh. I went to see History in the theatre with my dad. Still in my teens and young enough for that seven veils scene to throughly embarrass me.
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
K-Pax

As far as I'm concerned, Prot did go back to K-Pax

Last edited by ukimalefu on Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:28 am.

ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Disaster movie

It's a disaster.

Con: Kim Kardashian is in it.

Pro: Kim Kardashian gets crushed by a meteorite.

Smoke a joint before and another one during and you may enjoy this movie. Not that I hated it, but it is BAD.
Metacell wrote:

High Anxiety is one of our favorites--I don't know why I thought they wouldn't get into it. I'll give that one a whirl.

It's been years since I have seen HistoryPt1--so I forgot about the bawdiness.

Mel Brooks is one of those guys who I think is really dependent on his cast--if the cast is great, it';s a great movie, when he doesn't have the talented cast, his bad jokes fall flat.
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
Like Robin Hood, Men in Tights. What a piece of crap.
Pithecanthropus wrote:
Like Robin Hood, Men in Tights. What a piece of crap.

A funny piece of crap! :lol:
Egggh. Men in Tights was exactly what was on my mind, bad cast. I also thing Spaceballs was pretty lousy. Slightly more talented cast than MiT, but not buy much.

I did love Brook's TV show based on Robin Hood : When Things Were Rotten.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87 ... 195