What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86 ... 195
Online now: Google [Bot], iDaemon
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
ukimalefu wrote:
DEyncourt wrote:
The Amazing Spiderman (2012).

Actually I tried to watch this, but about 30 minutes into it my attention wandered--I simply did not care about any of the characters. Of course I am familiar with the basic story but this latest re-telling had nothing to recommend it (at least from the portion I did see). Made me glad that I didn't go to a theater to see this.

Wut? it was a good Spidey movie. Also, Emma Stone. :spidey:

Yeah I liked it. Garfield is not as good a Peter Parker as MacGuire, but the story, action, etc. was fine, and actually much closer to the comics. Nice to see the Gwen Stacy story told properly.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
Inception.

Yes, it's getting old, but I still find it to be one of the more compelling sci-fi stories I've seen in a while. It's becoming one of my favorites.
dv
In the last couple weeks, I saw A Good Day to Die Hard, Hansel & Gretel, and Lincoln.

I also made it a little ways into The Switch before I realized what was happening. I paused it, wikipedia'd a synopsis, found out that the male lead never got sent to prison for fraudulently impregnating his friend, and said "eff it."

I watched a Lewis Black comedy special instead.
jkahless Custom Title
TOS wrote:
the rum diary

most disappointing

If the book hadn't been so much better it probably would have been enjoyable. It does however, help to watch the film while drinking heavily.
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
Metacell wrote:
...Garfield is not as good a Peter Parker as MacGuire, ...

They cast a cartoon cat in the role? What were they thinking? :P
user Stupid cockwomble
No, no, the President.
I agree with Spiderman being a bit uninteresting. I gave up at about the 15 minute mark.

The Master. Seymour Hoffman and Mr Phoenix make a tedious film watchable.

The Hobbit. Meh. Probably made by and for fans. I couldn't make out what Serkis was saying through the odd voice. Doesn't really matter what he was saying so no big deal anyway.

Jack Reacher. Airport thriller stuff. Competent. Cruise doing what he does to adequate effect.

Guys and Dolls. I don't understand the hate for this film. Sinatra, Brando, Simmons. What's not to like?
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
Seven Psychopaths.

I had heard that this movie was good. It was. It was not what I was expecting, but it was definitely enjoyable and well thought-out.
jkahless Custom Title
Not a movie, but I'm currently watching through Yes Minister. British wit at it's best!
The Prestige.

I liked it. It's an interesting movie about magic.
user Stupid cockwomble
Well, it was about magic until it turned into a sci-fi flick starring Bowie as Tesla. Good movie, though.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Yes, I thought it was good, too.
The Shining.

Creepy as fiddlesticks.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
matt wrote:
The Shining.

Creepy as fiddlesticks.

The Kubrick ?

Oh, Hell yeah .

First time you've ever seen it ?
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
I hope you were alone in the dark late at night ...
I think I could stay in a hotel for months without ever seeing another person and not have a problem, as long as it had reasonable internet access.
chikie The same deviled egg
No beer and no TV make homer go something something.
DukeofNuke wrote:
I hope you were alone in the dark late at night ...

The Shining was the first R rated horror movie my parents took me to see when I was ten. The second was Alien. They knew how to make high-octane nightmare fuel back then.
TOS
eight men out

such a great movie
A Clockwork Orange

I didn't think it was as good as The Shining. Still interesting.
Read the book. Srsly.
TOS
someone's having a stanley kubrick festival it seems

well, don't overlook barry lyndon for the candle scenes (the technology used to get those was quite extraordinary -- they used an f0.7 lens developed by nasa)

also he didn't direct it but "the killing" is a great flick
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Recent movies of note:
9th Company
Follows a group of young Russians through boot camp and their eventual posting in the Afghan wilderness guarding a critical supply road. In Russian with English subs. I liked it, it was am interesting peek into the Soviet Union's Vietnam.
The Cabin in the Woods
A very fun and original deconstruction of the stereotypical "lost in the woods" horror movie. Recommended.
There Will Be Blood
Hard to describe but excellent.

The recent rash of comic book based movies has caused me to realize that, for the most part, I do not like comic book based movies.
I saw Cabin in the Woods without having ever seen any previews for it. I didn't know what to expect. It was an interesting idea, but it was fun.

I didn't really like "There Will Be Blood". I know that a lot of people seemed to, but meh.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
matt wrote:
I saw Cabin in the Woods without having ever seen any previews for it. I didn't know what to expect. It was an interesting idea, but it was fun.

I didn't really like "There Will Be Blood". I know that a lot of people seemed to, but meh.

I can't put my finger on exactly why but I found The Will Be Blood engrossing. It's certainly not a fun movie that's for sure.
Séamas Honorary Consul General
Slap Shot (1977)
Pretty damned funny Paul Newman flick. It's a great sports movie, with only passing similarities to of the typical sports movie story lines. Definitely captures much of the gritty, foul-mouthed, sometimes offensive use of language you'd get in the late '70s. I saw this when it was aired on network television ages ago. I enjoyed it a lot--my wife really hated it, as Newman was such a piece of crap as a human. I was not quite sure if the location was fictional--There is of course the Charlestown area of Boston, but the area depicted in the movie had a huge mill--and they were drinking Scmidt's, which made me think it may have been a fictional town somewhere in western NY or Penn. (I would think if it were in Clarlestown Mass, they'd be drinking 'Gansett)

James and the Giant Peach (1996)
This is a pretty decent telling of the Roald Dahl book. It changes a couple things, but pretty much sticks to the story pretty well. It combines live action and stop motion techniques, plus a short section of a sort-of collage animation. It's an oddball story, one that i am not particularly crazy about, but it is mostly entertaining--my kids liked it a lot. Joanna Lumley as aunt Spiker is positively hideous.

Miller's Crossing (1990)
Coen Brothers' gangster film. What I like about this one is the fact that the gangster thing is just a setting--the story could be reset in any number of eras/locales with with love triangles and people vying for power. Unlike other gangster movies, this one doesn't wallow in the romance of gangster life or get involved too much in the ins and outs of gangster culture. Of course it's got much of what is to like about a Coen Bros movie: it is beautifully shot, it has a great score, great dialogue and the acting is spot-on.
This is only the second time I've seen it. It's not my favorite of their movies, but there it little to not like. Albert Finney is outstanding.
Slapshot is the greatest hockey film ever made.
TOS
miller's crossing is the best corn brothers movie ever made
TOS
oh and i just watched "in the loop" ... great flick, lots of humor but daaaaaark
juice Inadvertently correct
Is it me, or is The Manchurian Candidate really dark for an early '60s movie?
Geesie Couldn't hit it sideways
agedgruel wrote:

Yeah, it's not your typical fluff from that era like On the Beach, Fail Safe, Judgment at Nuremberg...
Last week we saw Man of Steel and Pacific Rim. Superman was amazing. I watched True Grit with Jeff Bridges and liked that. Also, Solaris with George Clooney, which was really cool.
Séamas Honorary Consul General
Geesie wrote:
agedgruel wrote:

Yeah, it's not your typical fluff from that era like On the Beach, Fail Safe, Judgment at Nuremberg...

LOL.
juice Inadvertently correct
Séamas wrote:
Geesie wrote:
agedgruel wrote:

LOL.

Don't bring your facts in here to get in the way of my recollection of the good old days!
dv
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Despicable Me 2

Five Stars! :D
Lombo Opiofiend
District 9

I liked it. Low Budget but still very good. Elysium is made by the same director.
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (since I'm playing Red Dead Redemption, it seemed like a good idea). Not at all the movie I remembered, but I probably hadn't seen it in 35 years. Lot's of fun, great charisma from the leads and one of the best movie endings ever!
RED2. If you liked the first one, you'll like this one. A very fun performance from the always sexy Catherine Zeta Jones. John Malkovitch is a scream.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86 ... 195