What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85 ... 195
Online now: Google [Bot], ukimalefu
Séamas Honorary Consul General
Godzilla Vs Monster Zero
From the title alone, you can sense that this is gonna be pretty good, I mean movies that Godzilla stars in are usually a safe bet----but once you realize that Rodan is in the supporting cast, you can't help but think it will be awesome. Top it off: Monster Zero is none other than King Ghidorah. WTF???
The cool factor only gets turned up to eleven when this thing goes into outer space and we get to meet the inhabitants of Planet X--which is a planet directly behind Jupiter--so no one on Earth ever noticed it. Seems King Ghidorah has been hiding out on Planet X ever since Godzilla and Rodan kicked his ass off of earth in a prior movie. Now he's making life rough on the citizens of Planet X--and they need Earth's help in getting rid of King Ghidorah --namely in borrowing Godzilla and Rodan for a while. But something else is afoot here--I won't spoil it any further. but you got to see it to believe it.

The best part of watching this was the constant questions coming from my six-year old daughter who was trying to figure this whole thing out--"Is that Real?", "are they really on another planet?" I was trying to explain how they film miniatures and edit them with regular footage, but that only confused her more.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
Séamas wrote:
Godzilla Vs Monster Zero
From the title alone, you can sense that this is gonna be pretty good, I mean movies that Godzilla stars in are usually a safe bet----but once you realize that Rodan is in the supporting cast, you can't help but think it will be awesome. Top it off: Monster Zero is none other than King Ghidorah. WTF???
The cool factor only gets turned up to eleven when this thing goes into outer space and we get to meet the inhabitants of Planet X--which is a planet directly behind Jupiter--so no one on Earth ever noticed it. Seems King Ghidorah has been hiding out on Planet X ever since Godzilla and Rodan kicked his ass off of earth in a prior movie. Now he's making life rough on the citizens of Planet X--and they need Earth's help in getting rid of King Ghidorah --namely in borrowing Godzilla and Rodan for a while. But something else is afoot here--I won't spoil it any further. but you got to see it to believe it.

The best part of watching this was the constant questions coming from my six-year old daughter who was trying to figure this whole thing out--"Is that Real?", "are they really on another planet?" I was trying to explain how they film miniatures and edit them with regular footage, but that only confused her more.

The scene where they're abandoning Godzilla and Rodan out in space is really sad. Also, the space woman is hot and I love their new wave space suits.
Space woman is extremely hot.

My wife and i were trying to convince the kids that the whole family should dress like the Planet X people for Halloween--or better yet--we dress like that all the time.
World War Z.

My mom wanted to see it.

I won't say it's bad, but it's an adequate zombie movie ruined by a PG-13 rating. Also, despite the kajillions of dollars worth of military hardware and CGI and Brad Pitt limping his way through the movie ala Tom Cruise, it has the nonsensical writing of a made for SyFy movie (see also 2012). Major destructive events rely on people behaving stupidly beyond belief. There appears to be the beginning of an interesting story, but it get lost quickly.

The 3D was good (when it wasn't stifled by rapid cut action sequences which don't work--directors: plan your scenes to put the viewer into it and choreograph accordingly, stop the MTV splashes). There are some good action and suspense sequences, but virtually no blood, no gore, nothing as viscerally horrifying as the first 2 minutes of Dawn of the Dead or Day of the Dead. Not as good as 28 days later or its sequel (which at least had that awesome creepy music).

This movie could have at least been satisfying if they'd gone the distance and actually shown the crowbar lodged in the skull instead of just implying it. 3D for God's sake!

EDIT: Let me just add that despite the weak ending, I am Legend totally kicks this movies ass.
justine Elitist Beer Lover
Warm Bodies - not bad. Not great, but not bad.

Identity Thief - pretty funny.

Snitch - good flick!
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Monsters U
The fact that this has been top box office for two weeks just proves the dearth of entertainment options for the 4 - 8 year old demographic.
Unless you're taking a child to see it, don't bother.
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
shut up shut up shut up i can't hear you there are no bad pixar movies lah lah lah lah haven't seen it yet.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Save your popcorn money for Man of Steel or Pacific Rim.
M.U. can wait for the RedBox release.
Tromeo and Juliet. Inspired by another thread hereabouts. I figure there's enough Troma movies to last me the rest of my life if I watch one every few years. Like most of them, this one treads a fuzzy zone between horror comedy and blatant obscenity and yet once again it feels like it has a stronger moral center than this whole stinking judgmental world. Anyways, I laughed. Plus it has Lemmy in it.
TOS
black hawk down

holy shmoly, talk about flag-waving

which is funny because the director was a brit and half the cast are non-american
user Stupid cockwomble
I've never bothered with that one.
juice Inadvertently correct
Know your audience, I guess.
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
From Hell.

Okay movie, not bad, not great. Apparently the settings were historically accurate but the story was not.

Heather Graham is pretty though.

:shrug:
I enjoyed Blackhawk Down for what it was. the book was far better, because it strove to show the conflict from both sides, but the movie stayed fairly close to the events. It is a relentlessly noisy film and as TOS says, it is flag waving propaganda... but it doesn't gloss over the futility of what they were trying to do.
TOS
patriotism aside, it's one heck of a war movie, no doubt about that ... and being a ridley scott joint it's going to be quite watchable despite major flaws
Holy Flying Circus

Quote:
Holy Flying Circus (2011) is a 90-minute BBC television comedy film, about the 1979 television debate over the film Monty Python's Life of Brian.

:up:

I'm still not sure that wasn't the real John Cleese. ;)
Slacker (1991)
This is a fun one for me, as I saw it when it first came out on video--It was filmed and released at a time when I was in the same basic demographic as the people in the movie.
I remember enjoying the dialog, but I was "too close" to that type of scene to see it as unusual. Back then I knew people who had those conversations--and I probably engaged in them as well.

Seeing it again (only my second viewing) was like that time machine effect.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
That's kinda how I see Dazed and Confused
user Stupid cockwomble
Dazed and Confused was set in the year I graduated. Haven't seen it yet - I've got a copy on dvd (packed with Fastimes at Ridgemont High), but I didn't make it past the third scene.

Slacker - heh - reminds me of the gal trying to sell Madonna's pap smear. I really liked the threading together of all of the encounters.
Did you watch Fast Times At Ridgemont High?
user Stupid cockwomble
Many, many times.
The whole movie?
dv
matt wrote:
The whole movie?

Actually, yes.

It was one of my dad's favorite movies, and one of the ways he tried to "bond" with his two sons after my mom died. (My dad was the distant, stern, in-case-of-emergency-break-glass parent, and my mom was the let's-have-fun-and-watch-star-wars-then-dress-like-Vader-for-halloween parent. My dad tried to meet us halfway but it was mostly kinda weird.)

So I actually have a set of very, very, very uncomfortable associations with the topless scenes, and I tend to fast forward through them even though I generally enjoy the rest of the movie.

Nothing will ruin Phoebe Cates' boobs like trying not to pop wood in front of your dad.
dv
Actually, now that I think about, most of the movies my dad wanted to watch with us had naked women in them. Force 10 from Navarone, The Invisible Kid...

Weird.

He probably wouldn't admit to it now. His memory has gotten kinda selective since he married the SuperChristian.
TOS
witnessing the glorious unveiling of phoebe cates' breasts was one of the seminal moments of our generation

it's horribly immoral for your old man to have clockwork oranged it for you
Invasion of the Body Snatchers

I liked it.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
matt wrote:

I liked it.

The original or the remake?
TOS
the rum diary

most disappointing
TOS wrote:
witnessing the glorious unveiling of phoebe cates' breasts was one of the seminal moments of our generation

There sure was a lot of seminal fluid, for certain.
DukeofNuke wrote:
matt wrote:

I liked it.

The one with Donald Sutherland.
matt wrote:
DukeofNuke wrote:
matt wrote:

I liked it.

The one with Donald Sutherland.

I liked all three versions.
TOS
Warin wrote:
TOS wrote:

There sure was a lot of seminal fluid, for certain.

thanks, i used that word for a reason

just to traumatize dv (nsfw)
user wrote:
Dazed and Confused was set in the year I graduated. Haven't seen it yet - I've got a copy on dvd (packed with Fastimes at Ridgemont High), but I didn't make it past the third scene.

I went to HS with one of the actresses in Dazed and Confused--she didn't have a very big part though.
Fast Times at Ridgemont High came out right before I was in 10th grade --that is definitely a nostalgia movie for me. High School was bookended by Fast Times and Better off Dead

user wrote:

Slacker - heh - reminds me of the gal trying to sell Madonna's pap smear. I really liked the threading together of all of the encounters.

She was one of the drummers from Butthole Surfers.
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
Watched Top Gun just for the hell of it last night. I don't think I'd seen it in 15 years. My! What a terrific, terrible movie!
The Amazing Spiderman (2012).

Actually I tried to watch this, but about 30 minutes into it my attention wandered--I simply did not care about any of the characters. Of course I am familiar with the basic story but this latest re-telling had nothing to recommend it (at least from the portion I did see). Made me glad that I didn't go to a theater to see this.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
DEyncourt wrote:

Actually I tried to watch this, but about 30 minutes into it my attention wandered--I simply did not care about any of the characters. Of course I am familiar with the basic story but this latest re-telling had nothing to recommend it (at least from the portion I did see). Made me glad that I didn't go to a theater to see this.

The only part I remember is the bridge rescue ... wait, was that the McGuire movie? ... they all seem to run together ...
DEyncourt wrote:

Wut? it was a good Spidey movie. Also, Emma Stone. :spidey:
DukeofNuke wrote:
DEyncourt wrote:

The only part I remember is the bridge rescue ... wait, was that the McGuire movie? ... they all seem to run together ...

Not McGuire, Andrew Garfield.
I think I am in a (clueless?) minority... I seem to be able to find redeeming things about almost any movie I see. I am either a complete dolt or able to suspend my disbelief to a huge degree out of a desire to be entertained.

to wit: World War Z was rather enjoyable, I thought. I can see where fans of the book might be miffed... but the book itself is unfilmable as a movie. There are just too many stories to tell in a 2 hour period. I would love to see a TV series with the interconnected narrative, because the book was really good. The movie was a decent attempt to tell one story in the Great Panic. I would love to see the original ending though (not because it might make it better, but just because, like rubbernecking at an accident scene, I'd love to see the trainwreck.)
justine Elitist Beer Lover
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85 ... 195