What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82 ... 195
Online now: gd, Google [Bot], juice
jkahless Custom Title
chikie wrote:
jkahless wrote:
DukeofNuke wrote:
Argo

I remain bemused at the way the rest of the world thinks Canada and the US are two totally different countries.

Don't be silly. Hollywood has a long and noble tradition of making films celebrating the achievements of countries and people from all over the word... and then rewriting them as Americans.

So you're saying that Tony Mendez was a Canadian intelligence agent?

No, but I am saying that the film isin full of human waste. Historical objections to it are well established. I believe that if you make a film based on a historical event you are morally obligated to do justice to the people involved.
chikie The same deviled egg
jkahless wrote:
chikie wrote:
jkahless wrote:
DukeofNuke wrote:
Argo

I remain bemused at the way the rest of the world thinks Canada and the US are two totally different countries.

Don't be silly. Hollywood has a long and noble tradition of making films celebrating the achievements of countries and people from all over the word... and then rewriting them as Americans.

No, but I am saying that the film isin full of human waste. Historical objections to it are well established. I believe that if you make a film based on a historical event you are morally obligated to do justice to the people involved.

I find it a bit ironic that the Canadians are complaining about not getting enough credit, because when it actually happened, they were happy to take all the credit (due to the CIA involvement being classified) :p
Alexander Supertramp this was uncalled for.
Battleship, which was really dumb but entertaining in its own way. At one point the radar got stick fiddled up so they had to use this grid to shoot at the aliens and suddenly they were playing Battleship.
Alexander Supertramp this was uncalled for.
By the way, I think Geesie should watch Battleship and report back.
jkahless Custom Title
chikie wrote:
jkahless wrote:
chikie wrote:
jkahless wrote:
DukeofNuke wrote:
Argo

I find it a bit ironic that the Canadians are complaining about not getting enough credit, because when it actually happened, they were happy to take all the credit (due to the CIA involvement being classified) :p

I see what you did there. :p

Seriously though, if one wants to make a movie based on a true story but doesn't want to be bound by the facts, one should be very clear that one is making human waste up.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
IOW, "BASED" on a true story ?

I heard Afleck on Fresh Air the other day. He said that all your questions are answered and objections addressed in the "extras" on the BluRay disc.
user Stupid cockwomble
Nice way to push sales on the blu-ray, I guess.

The Crew Really nice movie starring Richard Dreyfus and Burt Reynolds as retired members of a mob crew barely getting by in Miami. Very well written, quite funny. I highly recommend.

Also has "Trinity" as the long-lost daughter.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
Let the Right One In, 2008 Swedish Vampire movie. Sort of a John Romero's Martin meets Disney's The Fox and the Hound.

An intensely violent story of young (well one is young and the other's been young a long time) misfits who against their best intentions take revenge on a world crueler than they are. Also completely devoid of anything resembling Twilight, Underworld, Blade, or Van Helsing. I enjoyed it probably more than I should have.
justine Elitist Beer Lover
Paranorman. Cute.
Séamas Honorary Consul General
Oliver! (1968)

It was fun, the sets and scenery were terrific. Some time back I saw a photo archive of mid 19th century London slums and etc. Had I not seen those photos, I'd have thought the scenery was just creative license.

My kids liked it a lot, and weren't alarmed as much as I thought they would be at the plight of young kids back then--

but then again we had just seen:

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (also 1968) which has the kingdom where children are outlawed and live in an underground dungeon.

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang is fun, but on the long-winded side. It's interesting that it is an Ian Fleming creation and the production was by the same prodution company as the Bond films.

It is also interesting in that it has Charles Krauthammer playing the childcatcher.
dv
Ted.

I rented "Flight" from Redbox but it won't play... :(
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
Séamas wrote:
Oliver! (1968)

I watched ffolkes the other night. Roger Moore being not Bond.

Me & the "Mrs" watched Top Secret last night, which I hadn't seen since probably 1986. I'd forgotten how stick fiddling hilarious that movie is.
Yeah, I think Oliver! scarred me for life. To this day, I am wary of reading Dickens. Nobody else quite captures the bleak hopelessness of life in such intimate detail.

Top Secret never lets up.

"What phony dog poo?"
dv
Metacell wrote:
Yeah, I think Oliver! scarred me for life. To this day, I am wary of reading Dickens. Nobody else quite captures the bleak hopelessness of life in such intimate detail.

Never read the Grapes of Wrath?
I prefer Steinbeck, but no. Only Of Mice and Men and East of Eden. Steinbeck just manages to be a little saltier and funnier.
Brave. It was ok.
The Hole. I swore I wouldn't watch any more horror movies aimed at teenagers anymore, but I'm a Joe Dante fan. Despite it's family friendliness, and obvious horror cliches (like, why wouldn't you call the national guard when you found a gateway to hell in your house), it was enjoyable. Joe Dante uses every sort of classical horror movie filming technique to make everyday stuff creepy without a ton of gore. Very Poltergeist.
Metacell wrote:
The Hole. I swore I wouldn't watch any more horror movies aimed at teenagers anymore, but I'm a Joe Dante fan. Despite it's family friendliness, and obvious horror cliches (like, why wouldn't you call the national guard when you found a gateway to hell in your house), it was enjoyable. Joe Dante uses every sort of classical horror movie filming technique to make everyday stuff creepy without a ton of gore. Very Poltergeist.

I wouldn't call the National Guard.

I'd call Fox news or Westboro Baptists, have them go check it out while I get a big-ass capstone to cover it once they go in to investigate.
Rise of the Guardians. It's ok.
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
I could tell you, but I'm not supposed to.
dv
matt wrote:
I could tell you, but I'm not supposed to.

Fight Club? Or did you get a girlfriend with an iMovie fetish?
The Hole

Not the worst movie I've seen but
Yeah, it was cheesy.
dv
Just finished watching Seven Psychopaths. Awesome movie.

Now watching Dredd... the takeaway I'm getting here is that drugs are awesome.
I found Dredd entertaining in an awful sort of way.
dv wrote:
Just finished watching Seven Psychopaths. Awesome movie.

Started watching it on lunch last night, but i'm going to wait til i get home and start over.
user Stupid cockwomble
The Happening.

Zooey!!
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
The hobbit :up:

Pulp Fiction :D
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
Annual Easter viewing of Night of the Lepus (aka, The Best Movie Evar!!). If you haven't seen it, you really should.
Pithecanthropus wrote:
Annual Easter viewing of Night of the Lepus (aka, The Best Movie Evar!!). If you haven't seen it, you really should.

Ooooh, that does look good.
Deforest Kelley's 2nd greatest role.
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

When I started it last night just after midnight I was thinking that it was going to be simultaneously too long and too short: too long for the hour (and, yes, I did watch it all, no napping), and too short because despite the movie length Peter Jackson would have to leave out stuff (and he did).

Of course what Jackson and his co-screenwriters did was to fill out the movie with a lot of background story which was basically omitted from the narrative in the Hobbit--which after all was a children's story--most of which appeared in the Lord of the Rings books. Everyone who wondered what Jackson would do to fill out three movies must have forgotten the wealth of surrounding materials that he can drawn upon for literally days of additional film if he wanted it (THAT might be a bit much for me). These additions do take the movie out of the realm of a story for a young child.

I did like how An Unexpected Journey is directly linked to the start of the the Lord of the Rings movies.

I was bothered by how very little was done to explain why Bilbo decides to chase after the dwarves. Unless I missed something he just seemed to get the idea to go in his head and runs off with practically nothing except the contract in hand. As I recall it (and this being years since I last read the Hobbit) this was done in the book as an internal debate in Bilbo's head and the Took part of Bilbo eventually wins out, so trying to replicate this on film would be difficult but not impossible.

The water at the tops of the waterfalls in some of the scenes in Rivendell was remarkably cheesy. They were obviously small-scale models matted into the scene with seemingly no effort made to hide this, not even the use of slowed images to de-emphasize the speed which the water was overflowing the edge. This is especially surprising considering the effort that WETA has gone to make the parts of Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit fit together otherwise seemlessly.

I did note that in the trailers for An Unexpected Journey that accompanied this movie there are some scenes that apparently were done but did not make the final cut. The earliest trailer had a Rivendell scene where Bilbo wandered into the room in which the shattered parts of Narsil were kept (I imagine that Bilbo asks Gandalf or Elrond about the broken sword and the other would reply: "That, Mr. Baggins, is a long tale for another day"). Oddly in a set of trailers which only differed by a short (usually comic) scene at the end of each, there is a portion of the dwarves' meeting at Bag End where a squarish part of the side of the head of one of the dwarves was still blocked out (perhaps because the actor wore or failed to wear a large earring and "it was fixed in post"?). I just now checked the one of these trailers on YouTube and it has the same artifact at 0:31 (that link goes to that time code in the trailer).

Don't be silly: yes, I enjoyed the movie and will probably watch it again (well, maybe not too soon). I do lament that we will be waiting another year before part 2 and another year after that for part 3.
user Stupid cockwomble
Finally found a copy of Big Trouble. Been looking for it awhile, it's oddly rare. A really fun movie - got it in a bundle with The Crew, another gem.

Rene Russo, a really young Zooey, Garofalo in a Miami cop uniform and Sofía Vergara.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
user wrote:
Finally found a copy of Big Trouble. Been looking for it awhile, it's oddly rare. A really fun movie - got it in a bundle with The Crew, another gem.

Rene Russo, a really young Zooey, Garofalo in a Miami cop uniform and Sofía Vergara.

did you try: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004LE ... onvideo-20
user Stupid cockwomble
DukeofNuke wrote:
user wrote:

did you try: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004LE ... onvideo-20

I didn't want to rent it. I had been trying to find it locally, esp when i was working at the bookstore. Amazon had a dvd just Big Trouble for $14 or so, the bundle dvd that I got (also from amazon) was a better deal at $7. I didn't mind getting another copy of The Crew; that movie is even better.
For a Good Time, Call

It was humorous.
dv
The Next Three Days and Goon.

Both pretty good.
I watched Seven Psychopaths last night. Yeah, it was pretty good.
dv
Good, I'm glad you enjoyed it!
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82 ... 195