What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80 ... 195
Online now: ukimalefu
dv
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
Iron Sky. Nazis from the moon! It's campy as hell and it has a great punchline (watch all the way to the end of the credits). Definitely worth a peek.
justine Elitist Beer Lover
Pitch Perfect. Hilarious!
Freakout Jackson Chillin' with mah trollees™
Wife and I saw Silver Linings Playbook the other night. Loved it.
Watched the Spanish Prisoner with the boy tonight. (One of my all time favs)
Séamas Honorary Consul General
Bedazzled 1967

I'm convinced that good comedies rely on simple, familiar plots. This one plays on the Faust legend with pretty imaginative results. Dudley Moore plays the hapless loser who sells his soul to Satan (Peter Cook) in hopes of romance with his co-worker. Peter Cook's depiction of the horned one is fun as hell. Add a star if you like Raquel Welch, who got a high billing even though she had a pretty small part. Nice scenes of swingin' London.
Séamas wrote:
Bedazzled 1967

I'm convinced that good comedies rely on simple, familiar plots. This one plays on the Faust legend with pretty imaginative results. Dudley Moore plays the hapless loser who sells his soul to Satan (Peter Cook) in hopes of romance with his co-worker. Peter Cook's depiction of the horned one is fun as hell. Add a star if you like Raquel Welch, who got a high billing even though she had a pretty small part. Nice scenes of swingin' London.

Funny movie! And yes, she's not onscreen for long, but Raquel Welch sure has some nice parts!!
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Pithecanthropus wrote:
Raquel Welch sure has some nice parts!!

Indeed she does ;)
user Stupid cockwomble
I love the '67 Bedazzled. The bit when Dudley Moore was turned into a fly had me rolling. I've got a copy of the Brendan update, but I haven't really wanted to watch it.
The gag where Cook proves he is the devil by granting Moore a wish--a popsicle-- is too funny. They did a great job of defining the character of Satan.
user Stupid cockwomble
:: scratches a new vinyl record, puts it back in the sleeve and returns it to the store ::

"Just a bit of minor mischief."
user wrote:
:: scratches a new vinyl record, puts it back in the sleeve and returns it to the store ::

"Just a bit of minor mischief."

Great ideas--all stuff that would just make people's days miserable enough to forget the golden rule.
The minor mischief and the Raquel scene were the only things I remember from the first time i saw it 20+ years ago.

I didn't remember that the skipped record shows up later.
Taken 2

Better than the first one.

:up:
dv
Watched Baby Mama today. Also finally saw Argo.
I caught Paul on cable earlier. I'm not sure why I had been so reluctant watching it before, but I guess that at other times I had caught it at some weird/gross segment that didn't appeal to me at that time and so didn't continue watching. Today I felt the need for some humor and I happened to channel-surf to it close to the beginning so I decided to watch and it wasn't bad at all. I should have trusted that the humor of Pegg and Frost would work as it has before for me in their other movies, so if you've liked Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz then you'll probably like Paul too.

-----

I also watched Sherlock Holmes: a Game of Shadows. It is a follow-up to the earlier Robert Downey, Jr., Sherlock Holmes although it is sufficiently independent that this latter movie could be watched without having seen the former. It was OK and carried with it a lot of look and feel of the previous movie, although both movies take place in a Holmesian universe that is not exactly Doyle's version.

One thing I found irritating in this movie was the use of the predictive slowdown sequence in which Holmes projects what will happen going forward, especially in fight scenes. In the earlier movie I believe that it was done only once and while interesting being something of visual representation of Holmes' superior intellect, it did grate a bit because it was too predictive in a situation which was largely chaotic (an arena fight in that case). In a Game of Shadows this effect was performed several times though they show you what MIGHT have happened usually with Holmes coming to a disadvantage at or near the end, so when the actual fight sequence happens Holmes makes a change to get around that problem. Except for that sequence at the end of the movie and was necessary for the plot, I would have preferred that they had limited it to perhaps one other time, probably the one closest to the start. That this was done five or six more times throughout the movie is evidence of the adage that in Hollywood you don't get to do better, you only get to do MORE.

I was also bugged by Holmes' use of supposed camouflage. The problem is that as used in this movie it can only work using the monocular movie viewpoint from a set position. Any person walking around the rooms where such was used would have noticed instantly.

Still, all in all, an enjoyable 2 hours although leave your Doyle cap aside while watching it.
No Way Out 1987
Kevin Costner, Gene Hackman, Sean Young
This was aired on PBS on Saturday night.
I was kind of taken aback by this as it seemed quite different from other movies they show.

I think the beginning and very end of this movie suffer, but once we got 1/4 through it, the thriller nature of it really got quite good. Love the early computer stuff, and the fact that in a few years the need to rush to a pay phone would be a thing of the past.

I was just reading that it is a remake of sorts of the movie the Big Clock. I've never seen this, it is based on the book--a book I haven't read either, but feel that I should as my friend's dad (who I've known since I was 3) wrote a definitive book on the author.
user Stupid cockwomble
Séamas wrote:
No Way Out 1987
I was kind of taken aback by this as it seemed quite different from other movies they show.

I think the beginning and very end of this movie suffer, but once we got 1/4 through it, the thriller nature of it really got quite good. Love the early computer stuff, and the fact that in a few years the need to rush to a pay phone would be a thing of the past.

I was just reading that it is a remake of sorts of the movie the Big Clock. I've never seen this, it is based on the book--a book I haven't read either, but feel that I should as my friend's dad (who I've known since I was 3) wrote a definitive book on the author.

I was completely fooled and the ending was a shock. They did a nice job.
user wrote:
Séamas wrote:
No Way Out 1987

Hmm

I don't know why, but I saw it coming.
user Stupid cockwomble
That's just an anecdote.
user wrote:
That's just an anecdote.

But it is a holistic anecdote taking into account my whole person.
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
ukimalefu wrote:

That was a good remake that I felt rivaled the original.

I just saw Mama this weekend. Man, feral kids really freak the hell outta me.
Séamas wrote:
user wrote:
Séamas wrote:
No Way Out 1987

Hmm

I don't know why, but I saw it coming.

I had The Usual Suspects figured out before the opening credits were done. As Kevin Spacey enters the camera starts at his "crippled" feet and slowly pans up. As soon as I saw his feet I said, "He did it" and I was right. It made the movie far less enjoyable.
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
Robert B. wrote:
ukimalefu wrote:

Having not seen the remake but having seen the original, that's a pretty good compliment.
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
The Imposter

Not as good as Let The Right One In, but a very interesting movie
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
Tinkerbell 4 - Secret of the Wings.

Although we got it for our daughter, it is actually a good movie.
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
matt wrote:
Robert B. wrote:
ukimalefu wrote:

Having not seen the remake but having seen the original, that's a pretty good compliment.

Both are on Netflix. Have a watch and tell me what you think.
Takedown (AKA Hackers 2)

Quote:
This film is based on the story of the capture of computer hacker "Kevin Mitnick".

:up:
Young Frankenstein

I've seen it dozens of times, but this was the first time we showed it to the kids (my wife and I consider this a sacred rite of passage).

My son (8) likes absurdity in his comedy--so he really liked it even though he really doesn't know anything about the source material (we have a dvd of the 1931 one).
He is often easily scared in movie, but he was fine with this one. Our daughter is usually not frightened by movies but found this movie scary.

I think this is the very best of Mel Brooks' movies. His jokes are almost always pretty terrible on their own, so if he has a good cast, it'll be a good movie.

Trivia: the set and props of the laboratory is the same as from the '31 movie.
Séamas wrote:
Young Frankenstein

I've seen it dozens of times, but this was the first time we showed it to the kids (my wife and I consider this a sacred rite of passage).

My son (8) likes absurdity in his comedy--so he really liked it even though he really doesn't know anything about the source material (we have a dvd of the 1931 one).
He is often easily scared in movie, but he was fine with this one. Our daughter is usually not frightened by movies but found this movie scary.

I think this is the very best of Mel Brooks' movies. His jokes are almost always pretty terrible on their own, so if he has a good cast, it'll be a good movie.

It ends with a dick joke. Love it!
Pithecanthropus wrote:
Séamas wrote:
Young Frankenstein

It ends with a dick joke. Love it!

And done with enough subtlety so as to go right over my kids' heads.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
I love it when the crowd starts throwing vegetables at The Monster when he forgets the choreography.
Metacell wrote:
I love it when the crowd starts throwing vegetables at The Monster when he forgets the choreography.

Yes.

I think every moment that Inspector Kemp is onscreen makes me happy.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Kelly's Heros.

Really not very good.

And what was the thinking behind Sutherland's character?
user Stupid cockwomble
I really like Kelly's Heroes. Sutherland was a hippie before there were hippies. Sort of a 70s thing when all war movies were actually about Vietnam.

"Maybe he's a Republican...."
justine Elitist Beer Lover
I watched A Walk To Remember last night. That movie always makes me cry. I don't care how bad the acting is.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Iron Sky

'cause Nazis from the Moon are exactly what you need for a 4am insomnia attack.
Ribtor wrote:
Kelly's Heros.

Really not very good.

And what was the thinking behind Sutherland's character?

It was a comedy.
I always liked that flick, Sutherland's crew of beatniks were a highlight for me.

It was a great cast.
user Stupid cockwomble
Again with the positive waves, Seamus.
Oddball: Hi, man.
Big Joe: What are you doing?
Oddball: I'm drinking wine and eating cheese, and catching some rays, you know.
Big Joe: What's happening?
Oddball: Well, the tank's broke and they're trying to fix it.
Big Joe: Well, then, why the hell aren't you up there helping them?
Oddball: [chuckles] I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80 ... 195