What was the last movie you saw?

Music and video: analog or digital
User avatar
ukimalefu
Posts: 44200
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:52 pm
Title: want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Location: Failed State

Post by ukimalefu »

Total Recall (2012)

:up:
User avatar
Pithecanthropus
Posts: 6076
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:46 pm
Title: Roast Master
Location: St. Cloud, MN
Contact:

Post by Pithecanthropus »

ukimalefu wrote: Total Recall (2012)

:up:

You're the only person I've seen give it a thumbs up, everybody else hated it.
set DeusEx.JCDentonMale bCheatsEnabled true
User avatar
ukimalefu
Posts: 44200
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:52 pm
Title: want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Location: Failed State

Post by ukimalefu »

Pithecanthropus wrote:
ukimalefu wrote: Total Recall (2012)

:up:

You're the only person I've seen give it a thumbs up, everybody else hated it.


It's not perfect, but I liked it. And I was expecting to hate it, but I didn't.
User avatar
rjprice
Posts: 4943
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:03 pm

Post by rjprice »

The Fifth Element
There's drunk, there's Army drunk, then there's Disney Princess drunk.
User avatar
DukeofNuke
Posts: 33304
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:33 pm
Title: FREE RADICAL
Location: Scintillating!

Post by DukeofNuke »

rjprice wrote: The Fifth Element

The Lego edition ?
intellectual/hipster/nihilist

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts."
-Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan
User avatar
user
Posts: 29386
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:40 pm
Title: Stupid cockwomble

Post by user »

It could happen.
Aw, he's no fun, he fell right over.

Science is Truth for Life. In FORTRAN tongue the Answer.

...so I'm supposed to find the Shadow King from inside a daiquiri?
User avatar
rjprice
Posts: 4943
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:03 pm

Post by rjprice »

DukeofNuke wrote:
rjprice wrote: The Fifth Element

The Lego edition ?


Sadly no. Not too sadly, as it is still as fun movie with meap popsicles, but a slight sense of wistfulness just the same.
There's drunk, there's Army drunk, then there's Disney Princess drunk.
User avatar
user
Posts: 29386
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:40 pm
Title: Stupid cockwomble

Post by user »

I've got it on Blu-ray. Maybe I'll spin it again later tonight.

Watched the last half of Magical Mystery Tour. having low expectations really helps with that one. Makes me want to dig out my copy of Yellow Submarine.
Aw, he's no fun, he fell right over.

Science is Truth for Life. In FORTRAN tongue the Answer.

...so I'm supposed to find the Shadow King from inside a daiquiri?
User avatar
Ribtor
Posts: 9363
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:45 pm

Post by Ribtor »

The Black Hole (1979).
Pyke notte thy nostrellys
User avatar
ukimalefu
Posts: 44200
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:52 pm
Title: want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Location: Failed State

Post by ukimalefu »

Ribtor wrote: The Black Hole (1979).


:up:
User avatar
Pithecanthropus
Posts: 6076
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:46 pm
Title: Roast Master
Location: St. Cloud, MN
Contact:

Post by Pithecanthropus »

Looper.

Awesome idea, nicely executed (ooh! a pun!), but the fiancee and I had a disagreement that maybe someone could clear up: [spoiler]She says that Joe and Cid are the same person, so we are looking at three versions of the same guy, but I disagree and say you've got two different people.[/spoiler] Who is correct?
set DeusEx.JCDentonMale bCheatsEnabled true
User avatar
DukeofNuke
Posts: 33304
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:33 pm
Title: FREE RADICAL
Location: Scintillating!

Post by DukeofNuke »

The Lincoln Lawyer,
Super 8,
The Pirates! Band of Misfits (easily the best of the three)
intellectual/hipster/nihilist

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts."
-Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan
User avatar
ukimalefu
Posts: 44200
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:52 pm
Title: want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Location: Failed State

Post by ukimalefu »

Looper

:up:
User avatar
ukimalefu
Posts: 44200
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:52 pm
Title: want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Location: Failed State

Post by ukimalefu »

Pithecanthropus wrote: Looper.

Awesome idea, nicely executed (ooh! a pun!), but the fiancee and I had a disagreement that maybe someone could clear up: [spoiler]She says that Joe and Cid are the same person, so we are looking at three versions of the same guy, but I disagree and say you've got two different people.[/spoiler] Who is correct?


[spoiler]Joe never showed any TK powers so he can't be the same person. I'd say he just didn't want what happened to him happen to the kid. Also, in the future there's a Joe AND a Rain maker, so two different people. But I admit that my first though was that they could be the same, but after thinking about it, I don't think so.[/spoiler]
User avatar
Pithecanthropus
Posts: 6076
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:46 pm
Title: Roast Master
Location: St. Cloud, MN
Contact:

Post by Pithecanthropus »

That was my take exactly.
set DeusEx.JCDentonMale bCheatsEnabled true
User avatar
Ribtor
Posts: 9363
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:45 pm

Post by Ribtor »

The Matrix Reloaded.

I fast forwarded through the interminable fight scenes in search of a narrative, story or something that might keep my interest.

Reeves is funny. Whenever he tries to look concerned, all I see is cluelessness.
Pyke notte thy nostrellys
User avatar
user
Posts: 29386
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:40 pm
Title: Stupid cockwomble

Post by user »

They never should have even tried to make those sequels, but I guess they never had the chance not to. And there's too much truth in Bill (or was it Ted?) in Reeves.
Aw, he's no fun, he fell right over.

Science is Truth for Life. In FORTRAN tongue the Answer.

...so I'm supposed to find the Shadow King from inside a daiquiri?
User avatar
Pithecanthropus
Posts: 6076
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:46 pm
Title: Roast Master
Location: St. Cloud, MN
Contact:

Post by Pithecanthropus »

Oh, I don't know, about 1/2 of the second one is pretty good, so they should have stopped halfway through it, I know I do.
set DeusEx.JCDentonMale bCheatsEnabled true
User avatar
Ribtor
Posts: 9363
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:45 pm

Post by Ribtor »

Princess Caraboo.

Ms Cates was never lovelier, and I'm including Fast Times.
Pyke notte thy nostrellys
User avatar
Séamas
Posts: 6905
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:32 pm
Title: Honorary Consul General
Location: Where am I?

Post by Séamas »

Borat
I saw bits and pieces once when it was aired on cable, this was the first time I watched the whole thing. It's funny--the naked fight scene was epic-- but Cohen seems a bit like a one-note virtuoso. Plus knowing the kind of dubious means by which he got releases make me feel sorry for his extras.


Carmen meets Borat

Oddly enough, just two nights after watching Borat, one of the PBS stations aired this documentary--featuring residents of the Romanian Roma/Gypsy village that Cohen used as a stand-in for a Kasakhstani village.
The people who live in this community live a very difficult life and they resent tremendously the fact that they were lampooned by Cohen. Part of their outrage is they think they signed releases under false pretenses, and part of it is there is obviously a big cultural differences in what makes something "funny". They simply don't get Borat's humor at all.
And Proteus brought the upright beast into the garden and chained him to a tree and the children did make sport of him.
User avatar
Pithecanthropus
Posts: 6076
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:46 pm
Title: Roast Master
Location: St. Cloud, MN
Contact:

Post by Pithecanthropus »

Ribtor wrote: Princess Caraboo.

Ms Cates was never lovelier, and I'm including Fast Times.

Really?

NSFW
Last edited by obvs on Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: NSFW
set DeusEx.JCDentonMale bCheatsEnabled true
User avatar
user
Posts: 29386
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:40 pm
Title: Stupid cockwomble

Post by user »

I've got "Fast Times" and "Dazed and Confused" both cued up in my (5-disc) DVD player for when I'm in a late-night mood. Damn....might be tonight.

Funny thing, I org saw FT on broadcast. It was years before I got to see the goodies.
Aw, he's no fun, he fell right over.

Science is Truth for Life. In FORTRAN tongue the Answer.

...so I'm supposed to find the Shadow King from inside a daiquiri?
User avatar
ukimalefu
Posts: 44200
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:52 pm
Title: want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Location: Failed State

Post by ukimalefu »

Pithecanthropus wrote:
Ribtor wrote: Princess Caraboo.

Ms Cates was never lovelier, and I'm including Fast Times.

Really?

NSFW


I think it is because of her that I love the name 'Phoebe'.
User avatar
Warin
Posts: 7024
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:34 pm

Post by Warin »

And to think she's been married to Kevin Kline for nearly 25 years...
I'm sorry Dave...
User avatar
Séamas
Posts: 6905
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:32 pm
Title: Honorary Consul General
Location: Where am I?

Post by Séamas »

My wife used to teach the Kline /Cates kids gymnastics. I always asked whether Pheobe came to pick the kids up, and if she removed her top.

Michael J Fox's kids went to the same gym. My wife said hFox's wife was wonderful and he was a total grump--but this was *just* before his Parkinson's disease became public.



I'm pretty sure I saw Princess Caraboo in the theater--thought it was a snoozer.
And Proteus brought the upright beast into the garden and chained him to a tree and the children did make sport of him.
User avatar
user
Posts: 29386
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:40 pm
Title: Stupid cockwomble

Post by user »

Fox probably came off grumpy because he was trying to hide the effects of the disease - probably didn't talk very much, right?

The Golden Compass. Beautifully done movie and it's always a shock at the abrupt end. It's obvious they planned on shooting all three books of the series. Too bad the smear campaign worked (although, I'll admit that the fighting scenes were a bit too intense for children). I really would have liked to see Daniel and Nicole develop that intense, complicated relationship Lyra's parents had...for that matter the relationship between the children was only just starting.
Aw, he's no fun, he fell right over.

Science is Truth for Life. In FORTRAN tongue the Answer.

...so I'm supposed to find the Shadow King from inside a daiquiri?
User avatar
Pithecanthropus
Posts: 6076
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:46 pm
Title: Roast Master
Location: St. Cloud, MN
Contact:

Post by Pithecanthropus »

Just watched Mission Impossible - Ghost Protocol, which is newly out on Netflix, and loved it! Yes, you have to strap on your "suspension of disbelief" helmet extra hard, but it's worth it. I just LOVE how Brad Bird directs and I'll see any movie he does.
set DeusEx.JCDentonMale bCheatsEnabled true
User avatar
Séamas
Posts: 6905
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:32 pm
Title: Honorary Consul General
Location: Where am I?

Post by Séamas »

user wrote: Fox probably came off grumpy because he was trying to hide the effects of the disease - probably didn't talk very much, right?

That's what we thought after the news came out.

I saw him walking his dog last winter. What was odd was I initially recognized him not as a celebrity, but as someone I know.
And Proteus brought the upright beast into the garden and chained him to a tree and the children did make sport of him.
User avatar
Robert
Posts: 3914
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:56 pm
Title: Dandy Highwayman
Location: Wherever I go, there I am.

Post by Robert »

I saw the LOTR sequel at the IMAX.
"Hey, I gotta be me. Don't like it, don't read it." - Schnicky
User avatar
DukeofNuke
Posts: 33304
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:33 pm
Title: FREE RADICAL
Location: Scintillating!

Post by DukeofNuke »

Séamas wrote:
user wrote: Fox probably came off grumpy because he was trying to hide the effects of the disease - probably didn't talk very much, right?

That's what we thought after the news came out.

I saw him walking his dog last winter. What was odd was I initially recognized him not as a celebrity, but as someone I know.


That's not odd (IMHO).
Celebrity is so artificial, It's the first thing that falls away when you get to know someone.
intellectual/hipster/nihilist

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts."
-Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan
User avatar
Metacell
Posts: 11130
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:58 am
Title: Chocolate Brahma
Location: Lidsville
Contact:

Post by Metacell »

Judge Dredd (2012)

On one level, it's a senseless descent into ultraviolent imbecility; on another level, it's an effective siege thriller ala John Carpenter's Assault on Precinct 13 or Escape From New York. And though the character of Dredd is truer in this version (and never removes the helmet) than the obvious Stallone fail, the original movie "got" the tone of the comics better in that Judge Dredd is comedic satire. Most of this movie is third world blues.

Judge Anderson's role, however, is fascinating and provides that strange juxtaposition whithin certain grindhouse movies of having an uplifting moral guidepost in a film otherwise utterly devoted to morbid indulgence in depravity.

So....it kind of sucked, but it was kind of awesome. Anyway, I bet it looked good in 3D.
Remember, people, to forgive is divine. In other words, it ain't human.
User avatar
obvs
Posts: 27719
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:44 pm
Title: Socialist isn't an epithet;it's a badge.

Post by obvs »

Pithecanthropus wrote:
Ribtor wrote: Princess Caraboo.

Ms Cates was never lovelier, and I'm including Fast Times.

Really?

NSFW
"Paradise."
User avatar
justine
Posts: 16702
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:35 pm
Title: Elitist Beer Lover
Location: Magrathea
Contact:

Post by justine »

This Is 40. I liked it.
"The older i get, the less i care about what people think of me. therefore the older i get, the more i enjoy life."

"Life is so constructed, that the event does not, cannot, will not, match the expectation."
User avatar
Séamas
Posts: 6905
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:32 pm
Title: Honorary Consul General
Location: Where am I?

Post by Séamas »

The Cat Returns (2002)
Animated Japanese feature. The drawing ok, the animation was stiff, but the story was fairly original from my perspective, and it was really nicely told. My kids liked it a lot.
And Proteus brought the upright beast into the garden and chained him to a tree and the children did make sport of him.
User avatar
Warin
Posts: 7024
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:34 pm

Post by Warin »

Django Unchained.

BEAUTIFUL. Tarantino is a master of the pulp exploitation style flick. Better than Inglorious Bastards. Of course, other than Death Proof (which was ok, but not awesome), I pretty much rate all his movies as equally excellent.

I want to see Gangster Squad this week sometime.
I'm sorry Dave...
User avatar
justine
Posts: 16702
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:35 pm
Title: Elitist Beer Lover
Location: Magrathea
Contact:

Post by justine »

That's good to hear, Warin. I plan on watching it one of these days.
"The older i get, the less i care about what people think of me. therefore the older i get, the more i enjoy life."

"Life is so constructed, that the event does not, cannot, will not, match the expectation."
User avatar
obvs
Posts: 27719
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:44 pm
Title: Socialist isn't an epithet;it's a badge.

Post by obvs »

Compliance

This movie was completely stick fiddled. And it was completely implausible.
User avatar
obvs
Posts: 27719
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:44 pm
Title: Socialist isn't an epithet;it's a badge.

Post by obvs »

User avatar
ukimalefu
Posts: 44200
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:52 pm
Title: want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Location: Failed State

Post by ukimalefu »

I am Bruce Lee

Bruce Lee is universally recognized as the pioneer who elevated martial arts in film to an art form, and this documentary will reveal why Bruce Lee's flame burns brighter now than the day he died over three decades ago.


:up:
User avatar
user
Posts: 29386
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:40 pm
Title: Stupid cockwomble

Post by user »

I just watched him on Green Hornet this morning. He was the reason i watched the show as a kid - not because I knew anything about martial arts; I just liked seeing him kick butt karate style.
Aw, he's no fun, he fell right over.

Science is Truth for Life. In FORTRAN tongue the Answer.

...so I'm supposed to find the Shadow King from inside a daiquiri?
Post Reply