Online now: Google [Bot], ukimalefu
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Total Recall (2012)

:up:
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
ukimalefu wrote:
Total Recall (2012)

You're the only person I've seen give it a thumbs up, everybody else hated it.
Pithecanthropus wrote:
ukimalefu wrote:
Total Recall (2012)

You're the only person I've seen give it a thumbs up, everybody else hated it.

It's not perfect, but I liked it. And I was expecting to hate it, but I didn't.
The Fifth Element
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
rjprice wrote:
The Fifth Element

The Lego edition ?
user Stupid cockwomble
It could happen.
DukeofNuke wrote:
rjprice wrote:
The Fifth Element

The Lego edition ?

Sadly no. Not too sadly, as it is still as fun movie with meap popsicles, but a slight sense of wistfulness just the same.
user Stupid cockwomble
I've got it on Blu-ray. Maybe I'll spin it again later tonight.

Watched the last half of Magical Mystery Tour. having low expectations really helps with that one. Makes me want to dig out my copy of Yellow Submarine.
The Black Hole (1979).
Ribtor wrote:
The Black Hole (1979).

Looper.

Awesome idea, nicely executed (ooh! a pun!), but the fiancee and I had a disagreement that maybe someone could clear up: She says that Joe and Cid are the same person, so we are looking at three versions of the same guy, but I disagree and say you've got two different people. Who is correct?
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
The Lincoln Lawyer,
Super 8,
The Pirates! Band of Misfits (easily the best of the three)
Pithecanthropus wrote:
Looper.

Awesome idea, nicely executed (ooh! a pun!), but the fiancee and I had a disagreement that maybe someone could clear up: She says that Joe and Cid are the same person, so we are looking at three versions of the same guy, but I disagree and say you've got two different people. Who is correct?

Joe never showed any TK powers so he can't be the same person. I'd say he just didn't want what happened to him happen to the kid. Also, in the future there's a Joe AND a Rain maker, so two different people. But I admit that my first though was that they could be the same, but after thinking about it, I don't think so.
That was my take exactly.
The Matrix Reloaded.

I fast forwarded through the interminable fight scenes in search of a narrative, story or something that might keep my interest.

Reeves is funny. Whenever he tries to look concerned, all I see is cluelessness.
user Stupid cockwomble
They never should have even tried to make those sequels, but I guess they never had the chance not to. And there's too much truth in Bill (or was it Ted?) in Reeves.
Oh, I don't know, about 1/2 of the second one is pretty good, so they should have stopped halfway through it, I know I do.
Princess Caraboo.

Ms Cates was never lovelier, and I'm including Fast Times.
Séamas Honorary Consul General
Borat
I saw bits and pieces once when it was aired on cable, this was the first time I watched the whole thing. It's funny--the naked fight scene was epic-- but Cohen seems a bit like a one-note virtuoso. Plus knowing the kind of dubious means by which he got releases make me feel sorry for his extras.

Carmen meets Borat

Oddly enough, just two nights after watching Borat, one of the PBS stations aired this documentary--featuring residents of the Romanian Roma/Gypsy village that Cohen used as a stand-in for a Kasakhstani village.
The people who live in this community live a very difficult life and they resent tremendously the fact that they were lampooned by Cohen. Part of their outrage is they think they signed releases under false pretenses, and part of it is there is obviously a big cultural differences in what makes something "funny". They simply don't get Borat's humor at all.
Ribtor wrote:
Princess Caraboo.

Really?

NSFW

Last edited by obvs on Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:12 pm. NSFW

user Stupid cockwomble
I've got "Fast Times" and "Dazed and Confused" both cued up in my (5-disc) DVD player for when I'm in a late-night mood. Damn....might be tonight.

Funny thing, I org saw FT on broadcast. It was years before I got to see the goodies.
Pithecanthropus wrote:
Ribtor wrote:
Princess Caraboo.

Really?

NSFW

I think it is because of her that I love the name 'Phoebe'.
And to think she's been married to Kevin Kline for nearly 25 years...
My wife used to teach the Kline /Cates kids gymnastics. I always asked whether Pheobe came to pick the kids up, and if she removed her top.

Michael J Fox's kids went to the same gym. My wife said hFox's wife was wonderful and he was a total grump--but this was *just* before his Parkinson's disease became public.

I'm pretty sure I saw Princess Caraboo in the theater--thought it was a snoozer.
user Stupid cockwomble
Fox probably came off grumpy because he was trying to hide the effects of the disease - probably didn't talk very much, right?

The Golden Compass. Beautifully done movie and it's always a shock at the abrupt end. It's obvious they planned on shooting all three books of the series. Too bad the smear campaign worked (although, I'll admit that the fighting scenes were a bit too intense for children). I really would have liked to see Daniel and Nicole develop that intense, complicated relationship Lyra's parents had...for that matter the relationship between the children was only just starting.
Just watched Mission Impossible - Ghost Protocol, which is newly out on Netflix, and loved it! Yes, you have to strap on your "suspension of disbelief" helmet extra hard, but it's worth it. I just LOVE how Brad Bird directs and I'll see any movie he does.
user wrote:
Fox probably came off grumpy because he was trying to hide the effects of the disease - probably didn't talk very much, right?

That's what we thought after the news came out.

I saw him walking his dog last winter. What was odd was I initially recognized him not as a celebrity, but as someone I know.
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
I saw the LOTR sequel at the IMAX.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Séamas wrote:
user wrote:

That's what we thought after the news came out.

I saw him walking his dog last winter. What was odd was I initially recognized him not as a celebrity, but as someone I know.

That's not odd (IMHO).
Celebrity is so artificial, It's the first thing that falls away when you get to know someone.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
Judge Dredd (2012)

On one level, it's a senseless descent into ultraviolent imbecility; on another level, it's an effective siege thriller ala John Carpenter's Assault on Precinct 13 or Escape From New York. And though the character of Dredd is truer in this version (and never removes the helmet) than the obvious Stallone fail, the original movie "got" the tone of the comics better in that Judge Dredd is comedic satire. Most of this movie is third world blues.

Judge Anderson's role, however, is fascinating and provides that strange juxtaposition whithin certain grindhouse movies of having an uplifting moral guidepost in a film otherwise utterly devoted to morbid indulgence in depravity.

So....it kind of sucked, but it was kind of awesome. Anyway, I bet it looked good in 3D.
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
Pithecanthropus wrote:
Ribtor wrote:
Princess Caraboo.

Really?

NSFW
"Paradise."
justine Elitist Beer Lover
This Is 40. I liked it.
The Cat Returns (2002)
Animated Japanese feature. The drawing ok, the animation was stiff, but the story was fairly original from my perspective, and it was really nicely told. My kids liked it a lot.
Django Unchained.

BEAUTIFUL. Tarantino is a master of the pulp exploitation style flick. Better than Inglorious Bastards. Of course, other than Death Proof (which was ok, but not awesome), I pretty much rate all his movies as equally excellent.

I want to see Gangster Squad this week sometime.
justine Elitist Beer Lover
That's good to hear, Warin. I plan on watching it one of these days.
Compliance

This movie was completely stick fiddled. And it was completely implausible.
I am Bruce Lee

Quote:
Bruce Lee is universally recognized as the pioneer who elevated martial arts in film to an art form, and this documentary will reveal why Bruce Lee's flame burns brighter now than the day he died over three decades ago.

user Stupid cockwomble
I just watched him on Green Hornet this morning. He was the reason i watched the show as a kid - not because I knew anything about martial arts; I just liked seeing him kick butt karate style.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79 ... 195