What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73 ... 195
Online now: Metacell, ukimalefu
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
You guys dating now ?
Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story

If you couldn't handle the dinopeen this movie is not for you.
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
I went on a movie jag this weekend:

The Warrior's Way: very visually stunning with a standard "warrior on the run who finds peace and then has to use his warrior ways to defend that peace" story.

Boy Wonder: meek, mild kid dispenses vigilante justice after dark. Not bad, not great.

Legend of the Fist: Return of Chen Zhen: having never seen Bruce Lee as Chen Zhen I have nothing to compare it to, but it was kind of long and boring. The first 10 minutes are pretty awesome, though.

Sneakers: I love everything about it until the very end when it just gets silly. My favorite part was when they had to splice tape together to beat a voiceprint lock... didn't handheld digital recorders exist in 1992?

Hunter Prey: Low budget, not full of CGI effects, just good old sci-fi story telling in the tradition of Star Trek: TOS or The Twilight Zone.

The Man Who Wasn't There: A typical Cohen bros. jaunt, super visuals, interesting story, but it takes a while to get where its going. But what straight man would turn down a Hummer® from Scarlet Johansson?

Batman, The Dark Knight Rises: if you like the Batman franchise GO SEE THIS!! Though I found Bane to be a little hard to understand at times.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
Pithecanthropus wrote:
Batman, The Dark Knight Rises: if you like the Batman franchise GO SEE THIS!! Though I found Bane to be a little hard to understand at times.

This was a masterpiece, and I was not enamored with the previous film (loved Batman Begins though). This one was just sooooo heavy, almost too much, but it all worked somehow. Rocky meets James Bond meets Black Hawk Down meets, well, Batman. I had trouble understanding Bane at times too, but I loved his regal speaking style.
Seriously, people keep saying "I didn't understand Bane" though at no point in the trailer did I not understand what he was saying. Gonna see it just to work out if he is incoherent sometimes or it's just the colonials being weird.
Gentlemen Prefer Blondes.

One of those classic films where gay style defines straight style and the studio lets Marilyn do her thing (self parody) while she comments on the bulge in her boyfriend's pants as he sits in the front row watching her act. They knew how to get away with stuff back then.
Nini wrote:
Seriously, people keep saying "I didn't understand Bane" though at no point in the trailer did I not understand what he was saying. Gonna see it just to work out if he is incoherent sometimes or it's just the colonials being weird.

The speakers on your computer are not a professional theater surround sound set up (assuming you saw the trailer on your computer). With all the ambient background sound all over the place, Bane was a little difficult for me to understand. Not all the time, mind you, and it didn't take away from the story, I mean a guy with a cage on his mouth kicking ass all over the place doesn't really have to be understood for his point to come across.
I saw the trailer in the place.. didn't have much issue.
Séamas Honorary Consul General
Pithecanthropus wrote:

The Man Who Wasn't There: A typical Cohen bros. jaunt, super visuals, interesting story, but it takes a while to get where its going. But what straight man would turn down a Hummer® from Scarlet Johansson?

This movie tries to answer that question?

I am 90% certain that if Scarlet Johanson offered me a Hummer®, my wife would give me a "one time only" permission to receive it.
justine Elitist Beer Lover
Ribtor wrote:
Gentlemen Prefer Blondes.

One of those classic films where gay style defines straight style and the studio lets Marilyn do her thing (self parody) while she comments on the bulge in her boyfriend's pants as he sits in the front row watching her act. They knew how to get away with stuff back then.

This is a really good movie. I also liked How To Marry a Millionaire a lot.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Séamas wrote:
Pithecanthropus wrote:

I am 90% certain that if Scarlet Johanson offered me a Hummer®, my wife would give me a "one time only" permission to receive it.

My wife would demand a "Me Too!"
justine wrote:
... I also liked How To Marry a Millionaire a lot.

Definitely.
user Stupid cockwomble
Mom and Dad Save the World

An absurd movie that never pretends to be anything serious. It's been on my DVD buy list and I finally snagged a copy at the grocery store.

I love Teri Garr.
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
The girl with the dragon tattoo

:up:
Kind Hearts and Coronets.

Alec Guinness playing eight roles, Dennis Price and Joan Greenwood.
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
Black Swan

I didn't think the premise to this movie was remotely interesting, but

HOLY.

fiddlesticks.
DukeofNuke wrote:
Séamas wrote:
Pithecanthropus wrote:

My wife would demand a "Me Too!"

Always does.

:shifty:
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
she's pretty cool that way ...
Star Wreck: In The Pirkinning

stick fiddling Brilliant!!

Like a Cheeze-Wiz enema for your mind - IN FINNISH!!

Some Irate Guy said:
This is a place for people to eat, not for you to play with yer balls!

user Stupid cockwomble
Re-watching Moon.

Hol-lee human waste.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
Man, they're are so many awesome movies that come out that I never even hear about. This world moves too fast.
Sleeper

This was the first Woody Allen movie I ever saw. I think I was about 12 years old. Back then I didn't get any of the jokes but loved the slapstick.

Dr. Orva: You must understand that everyone you knew in the past has been dead nearly 200 years.
Miles Monroe: But they all ate organic rice!
Séamas wrote:
Sleeper

This was the first Woody Allen movie I ever saw. I think I was about 12 years old. Back then I didn't get any of the jokes but loved the slapstick.

Dr. Orva: You must understand that everyone you knew in the past has been dead nearly 200 years.
Miles Monroe: But they all ate organic rice!

That's a very funny movie. bananas is also hilarious. I miss funny Woody Allen.
The Coca Cola Kid. Greta Scacchi in the ripe fullness of youth. I think Eric Roberts was in it as well.

The Hunger Games. Was that film about how sick a society must be if it gets its jollies watching children kill each other? Utter dreck; I didn't bother finishing it.
ukimalefu wrote:

Really? I thought it was a predictable, cliche-ridden piece of crap. Liam Neeson looks like he just stepped out of a "Just For Men" hair coloring ad and the whole movie looks like something that Steven Segal turned down.

To each their own...

Last edited by Pithecanthropus on Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:22 pm.

user Stupid cockwomble
I liked seeing Liam kick ass. I wouldn't have watched it at all if it was Segal. Liam made all the difference.
That's Master Qui-Gon Jinn for you.
user Stupid cockwomble
Even Liam couldn't help that movie.
user wrote:
Even Liam couldn't help that movie.

He gave the movie star power and nothing else.

And it goes with my theory that Liam Neeson doesn't really exist anymore. George Lucas digitally scanned him during the making of Star Wars I and recorded him making all the sounds in the English language, now he can be digitally added to any movie from Batman to Battleship.
The new Bourne flick.

It felt less like an actual movie and more like 135 minutes of set up for the real movie, which will be in production soon. I realize that when you reboot a series you need to establish the new character, but the film's plot seemed a little thin. And it just... ended. and not in a "No Country For Old Men" sort of awesome lack of ending... just... bam, done.

Overall though, it was a fun action flick with some great fight scenes that weren't over the top in a way that most action movies seem to be these days.
I read a review in iO9, they called it a reboot, and "juts another action movie". I'll still se it, eventually, but

That's stupid. I like the Jason Bourne character, a mix of spy, ninja and McGyver. They shouldn't change that. They should do like James Bond movies, keep the character the same, even if you change the actor every now and then.

And they could do the same with Indiana Jones, but leave that Labouf guy out.
What, you don't like The Beef?
Nini wrote:
What, you don't like The Beef?

NOT for the next Indiana Jones. Not even for Indy's kid. He's ok, but over-rated. Keep him in Transformers.
ukimalefu wrote:
I read a review in iO9, they called it a reboot, and "juts another action movie". I'll still se it, eventually, but

That's stupid. I like the Jason Bourne character, a mix of spy, ninja and McGyver. They shouldn't change that. They should do like James Bond movies, keep the character the same, even if you change the actor every now and then.

And they could do the same with Indiana Jones, but leave that Labouf guy out.

The thing is, Aaron Cross is all of the things Jason Bourne is. And in a very significant way, I am glad that they did. Keeping the same character name is a lazy way to keep the storytelling contiguous through different actors. this is a break, a true "reboot" of the concept. I just wish the story had been developed a little better with a proper conclusion, so it felt less like a setup for the next film and more a self contained story :)
Finally saw Dark Knight Rises.

I was quite underwhelmed. I liked the overall plot, but it seemed too much like a James Bond movie, and it felt like the first Keaton movie because out of the 2.5 hours, Batman is only in it for 10 minutes.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73 ... 195