What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71 ... 195
Online now: Google [Bot], ukimalefu
I think it's entirely usual and well within the accepted norms of movie making to abridge or otherwise bastardise books and stories to fit the movie format. If the claim is that the screenwriters did a bad job in this particular case, I'm not seeing it.

Downey's Sherlock Holmes is having a ball doing just that.

Perhaps it's a matter of "coreness". I'm by no means a hardcore fantasy/ sci-fi fan so my standards probably differ.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
All my friends who love the Burroughs novels loved the movie. It
s a truer adaptation of his work than any Tarzan movie ever made.
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Green Hornet - meh

The A-team - If you like over the top action movies, you'll like it.

Paul - It's cool.

Tower Heist - Cool too.
Sherlock Holmes - Game of Shadows

:up:
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
ukimalefu wrote:

Will there be an SH-3 ?
DukeofNuke wrote:
ukimalefu wrote:

Will there be an SH-3 ?

I don't know.
Robert Downey Jr.'s IMDB entry right now only lists Ironman 3 (currently filming, 2013 release) among his to-be-released projects. Keep an eye there for any upcoming new Holmes movies.
justine Elitist Beer Lover
I watched The Other Boleyn Girl last night. I've seen it many times.
Séamas Honorary Consul General
justine wrote:

I've never seen it.
Mostly because I have heard that it doesn't include a wild, topless make-out scene featuring Portman and Johansson.

I totally understand that MOST movies don't have that scene either--but that one actually had those two actresses, so there is no excuse for not having it.
justine Elitist Beer Lover
Séamas wrote:
justine wrote:

I've never seen it.
Mostly because I have heard that it doesn't include a wild, topless make-out scene featuring Portman and Johansson.

I totally understand that MOST movies don't have that scene either--but that one actually had those two actresses, so there is no excuse for not having it.

I really like the flick, although it's not entirely historically correct, but what movie is? Natalie Portman plays her part very well, but then again, she plays all her parts well.

They also romanticize everything King Henry. He was a tyrant. Eric Bana is too good looking to play a tyrant. :)
DukeofNuke wrote:
ukimalefu wrote:

Will there be an SH-3 ?

I saw that. Guy Ritchie really doesn't like having women in his films!
justine wrote:

They also romanticize everything King Henry. He was a tyrant. Eric Bana is too good looking to play a tyrant. :)

Most of the famous portraits of Henry VIII are later in his life, where he had gained considerable weight--it is said that he was tall, athletic, trim and had considerable magnetism when he was younger.
Geesie Couldn't hit it sideways
Séamas wrote:
justine wrote:

Most of the famous portraits of Henry VIII are later in his life, where he had gained considerable weight--it is said that he was tall, athletic, trim and had considerable magnetism when he was younger.

Much like a young Robert Shaw.
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
Séamas wrote:
justine wrote:

Eating 5000 calories a day will change a man.
Also, remember that body attitudes change. Before the 1920's or so, it was a simple equation: fat body == wealth. Being thin meant that you couldn't feed yourself enough.

Still, I can recall a description from a biography on Lady Jane Grey of a typical meal in the household of the Duke of Northumberland--Lady Jane Grey's father--which had something like 15 courses any one of which would be enough for a main dinner course by modern standards, and this was for breakfast. To be sure I think that no one was expected to fill his plate with every course, and that by far most of that food was consumed by the working staff within the Duke's household, but it would be easy to get 5000 calories just from this one meal.
DEyncourt wrote:
Also, remember that body attitudes change. Before the 1920's or so, it was a simple equation: fat body == wealth. Being thin meant that you couldn't feed yourself enough.

Still, I can recall a description from a biography on Lady Jane Grey of a typical meal in the household of the Duke of Northumberland--Lady Jane Grey's father--which had something like 15 courses any one of which would be enough for a main dinner course by modern standards, and this was for breakfast. To be sure I think that no one was expected to fill his plate with every course, and that by far most of that food was consumed by the working staff within the Duke's household, but it would be easy to get 5000 calories just from this one meal.

The meals consumed in those days are always interesting too.
Hell, even menus from the 1910s are strange by today's standards.
Séamas wrote:
justine wrote:

Plus, he supposedly had to deal with bouts of malaria throughout his life, that led to varicose ulcerous sores that appeared on his legs (which may have also been caused because of garters he wore to show off his muscular legs). He then was injured in his 40's in a jousting incident where he was thrown from his horse and the the horse fell on top of him. Doctors initially thought he would die, but though he recovered, he was in constant pain and had severe issues with his legs (including open sores) for the rest of his life. Which I'm sure contributed to him turning into a big fat fattie.
Some also suggest that it was this injury that turned him into a tyrant. Many noted a personality change after the accident, which may have been the result of a brain injury ( he was unconscious for two hours).

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/th ... 70421.html

So having Eric Bana or Jonathan Rhys Myers playing a young Henry may have been good casting.
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
Alien

There are so many famous movies that I haven't seen, so when the movie Prometheus came out I decided to watch Alien. The first one was pretty good, so I'm hoping to watch the second one soon.
I envy you so much. Try to get the theatrical version of Aliens. The special edition is horrifically padded with boring material that destroys the suspense.

Nevertheless, James Cameron's best flick.
Juno
Liked it a lot. Pretty much well done throughout. Ellen Page as the lead character was excellent, but I really didn't quite buy her character as being 16. Other than that it was great.
Note that Alien and Aliens are different kinds of movies.

Alien was basically a haunted house where the people in the house are trapped/held there for some reason, while Aliens is basically a bug hunt with complications. There are some inconsistencies between the two movies--e.g., the acidic blood is all but ignored in the later movie--but overall I think that both are superior examples of suspense-filled storytelling for their separate types of movies.

I would strongly recommend NOT bothering with Alien³ or Alien: Resurrection. The former is simply boring and awful and almost the antithesis of suspense, and the latter is almost (but not quite so much that it is partially redeemed by such) laughably bad.

I do give James Cameron substantial credit for the quality of first two movies, and the fact that he didn't direct the latter two movies one reason among many why those were so bad.
chikie The same deviled egg
DEyncourt wrote:

I do give James Cameron substantial credit for the quality of first two movies, and the fact that he didn't direct the latter two movies one reason among many why those were so bad.

Ridley Scott did Alien; James Cameron did Aliens.
chikie wrote:
DEyncourt wrote:

Ridley Scott did Alien; James Cameron did Aliens.

Grumph--my error.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
chikie wrote:
... James Cameron did Aliens.

The man is crazy-in-love with blue lights.
The Director's cut of Alien3 is actually far superior. The main problem with Alien Resurrection (besides the lame Real World-dropouts space crew and their dialogue) is that it just isn't the slightest bit scary.

Still both are superior to anything Predator and your average summer Saw/Scream films.
Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby

Silly but genuinely fun. Will Ferrell was a buffoon, as always, but that is what he does and he does it well. The supporting cast carried him through the whole movie, especially Gary Cole as his father.
rjprice wrote:
Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby

Silly but genuinely fun. Will Ferrell was a buffoon, as always, but that is what he does and he does it well. The supporting cast carried him through the whole movie, especially Gary Cole as his father.

I couldn't stand Will Ferrel on SNL. (except for the skit "I gotta fever.. and the only prescription... is more cow bell!") But I started liking him more in movies, specifically in this, Anchorman and Step Brothers where his brand of humor started rubbing off on me.

Props must also be given to John C. Reilly, who is equally zany as Ferrels' side kick and step bro. In fact, John C. Reilly is one of my favorite actors right now. He's great as an everyman, great as a comedian and also great as a singer. Looks a little weird, but that's part of his charm I guess.
sturner Ancient Soldier
The Big Year.

It was amusing and entertaining.
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
Tucker and Dale vs. Evil.

stick fiddling loved it!
Pithecanthropus wrote:
Tucker and Dale vs. Evil.

stick fiddling loved it!

very funny movie (though they do spoil a lot of the jokes in the trailer)
Oh yeah, that movie was fantastic.
dv
Lessee...

Real Steel, Ides of March, and Men in Black 3.

Thumbs up to all three.
Brave

It was awesome!
Wanderlust - Very funny.
ScifiterX wrote:
Brave

It was awesome!

Saw it today with my 5-year old daughter.

Lots of fun. Really well done, appropriate story. My daughter was thrilled the whole time.
Tucker and Dale vs. Evil

and

The Devil's Double

Both quite good in their own way.
God Bless America

A-fucking-men :evil:
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71 ... 195