What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69 ... 198
Online now: DukeofNuke, j_tso
Séamas Honorary Consul General
Up Unfortunately the DVD we borrowed from the library got stuck at about halfway through. I was really enjoying it.

Iron Giant This is the second time we've watched it (with the kids). Funny, it is one of those movies where the kids just stay completely silent throughout.

Documentary:
I have the DVD collections of the BBC nature series Life and Planet Earth. I think 8 discs total.
These never fail to amaze me. What's more is each segment is followed by an equally interesting short feature of what went into filming the segments. The stuff is fascinating and the parts of the planet and the creatures they feature always astound.
I don't make a habit of having the TV on for the kids, but with the wife at an all day seminar, the rain and me getting dinner made, these films are great for the kids to absorb.
(I don't have a large flat screen--but these definitely make me want one!)
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
Freaked. 1993 cult comedy-horror. It's amazing the things TCM will show late at night. We caught most of it when we got home from the bar, and I believe we were sufficiently liquored up to enjoy it.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
With Mr. T as the bearded lady? Great flick.
user Stupid cockwomble
Yeah, that one's awesome. It's quite a rare DVD if you can find it.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Blade Runner

How the hell did Decker get a piano in that little apartment ?
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
DukeofNuke wrote:
Blade Runner

How the hell did Decker get a piano in that little apartment ?

It's the future, they have the technology. Also, it's a movie.

I once saw a baby grand in an apartment and I wondered the same thing. I asked, and I was told that they put a rig on the roof and lifted it to get it in through a big window they had..
The Creeping Terror (1964) also known as the Crawling Monster. This is widely considered one of the worst movies of all time--and with good reason.
One of the more ridiculous looking monsters ever. Great dance scene about 3/4 through it. For some reason (possibly a lost soundtrack) this movie has a TON of narration.

The Teacher (1974) A weird mix of coming of age, thriller and sex romp. High school boy (played by Dennis the Menace's Jay North) hooks up with his hot teacher. Lots of boobage.

The Shaggy Dog (1958) The Disney movie starring Fred macMurray. I never saw this thing. Very silly but gentle fun. My daughter liked it, my son decided to go to bed before the "best part" aka when the dog drives the car. No boobage.

The Pink Angels (1971) Biker flick--only these aren't ordinary bikers--nope they are six gay fellas dressed as outlaw 1%ers ridin' their way to a big drag queen ball! Their adventures include running into a gang of "regular" bikers, some confused (and heavily armed) police, some fugly prostitutes and some far-right whacko.
I must confess that we didn't watch the whole thing on this one. There is all sorts of stereotypes and jokes in that regard, but overall the main characters are treated with a certain sympathy. It's got the crazy story telling typical of the late'60s early '70s countercultural exploitation flick.
Haha, me and my friend got The Pink Angels in one of those 70's exploitation movie box sets and have been waiting for an appropriate (drunk) occasion to watch it.
Last night I caught a bit of the 1984 David Lynch version of Dune--the one with Kyle MacLachlan as Paul Atreides--but it appears that this was one of the extended versions where someone decided that the original was too opaque for anyone who hadn't read the book (and--having seen the original version in the theater in 1984--I tend to agree. Then I was able to follow the story but only because I have read the novel several times including one time specifically just before the movie release). They added MUCH too much voiceover where the narrator would explain every fricking thing including very idiotically points that shortly would be explained in the dialog. It was painful to watch and I resumed channel surfing after around 10 minutes.

According to that linked IMDB.com page: the original is 137 minutes but there were an extended version that is 177 minutes and a special edition of 190 minutes. I don't know which of the longer versions was on last night but I'm certain that it wasn't the original because there were many added bits that I didn't recall.
I've seen that version with the extended opening monologue with all the illustrations. It really kills the atmosphere. The Sci-Fi miniseries version is really so much better. But I still like the theatrical version of Lynch's Dune just for all the cool imagery. But not for Sting prancing in his Speedos.
Lord Of The Rings. The 1978 Ralph Bakshi animated film. Managed to keep the scope of the story as well as the charm. Not a fan of the genre myself, but a nice treat.
Metacell wrote:
Haha, me and my friend got The Pink Angels in one of those 70's exploitation movie box sets and have been waiting for an appropriate (drunk) occasion to watch it.

I got it (as well as the Creeping Terror and the Teacher) in a box set called Drive In Classics.
Most of the movies are from Crown International Pictures--a company that makes American International Pictures look like MGM.
justine Elitist Beer Lover
I started to watch Immortals, but i didn't last more than 20 minutes i think. The very first violent act was enough to turn me off.
Blood Mania (1970) This is a pretty trashy thriller. I was expecting a little more horror, psycho killers, or maybe vampires or something. Each time my wife walked in the room, one of the actresses was removing her blouse, taking a bath, skinny dipping or knockin' boots with the lead actor. Trivia: the lead actress in this flick also played Creedo in Star Wars. Though it pains me to say this, I will admit that Star Wars is a better movie than Blood Mania. Only slightly so, because this movie has lots of boobage, where the only boobs in Star Wars are Luke, Jawas and C3PO.
The Avengers

The Hulk was funnier in it than Iron Man despite Tony having the best lines.
The Avengers!

I loved some of the Hulk bits...

Like how, after bringing down the big ass alien carrier worm thingy, he sucker punches Thor. Then how he grabs Loki and uses him wipe the floor. Puny God, indeed!
Looks like over 200 million in the opening weekend. INSANE.
Oh and Cap's order to Hulk and Hulk's reaction to it.
And...

SHAWARMA!
mmaverick my steady systematic decline
I went to go see it but it was packed and now my roommate is going to go while I'm on a train.
Just saw it and can't really say anything bad about it. Pure awesomeness.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
I never get to see first run movies anymore, but I do finally get to watch them when they hit the discount rack at Target or Wal-Mart.

Thus, I finally got to see Inception after it hit the discount rack. I was actually impressed, though I did go in with fairly low expectations. It wasn't superbly awesome, but definitely a decent movie.
dv
In the theater to see avengers now. Nine minutes and I'm one of three peeps in the theater.
iDaemon infinitely loopy
You know why, don't you?

EVERYBODY ELSE is streaming the pirate version. At home.
dv
iDaemon wrote:
You know why, don't you?

EVERYBODY ELSE is streaming the pirate version. At home.

It made >$100M last weekend and is on track to join the $1B club. Piracy, schmiracy.

I just think 8:00 Monday night might be the best possible time to go to a movie theater in extra-suburban Minnesota.

Also, that trailer made we actually kinda wanna go see Battleship... I feel dirty now.
iDaemon infinitely loopy
Meh. You are truly blessed. I do not recall the last time I had the pleasure of a theater 'experience'. (Not sarcasm; no transportation or funding in the budget here.) Kinda sick really. A true 'moviehouse' as opposed to metroplex would likely be a good motivation though.

Go see Battleship. And go in peace.
dv
iDaemon wrote:
Meh. You are truly blessed. I do not recall the last time I had the pleasure of a theater 'experience'. (Not sarcasm; no transportation or funding in the budget here.) Kinda sick really. A true 'moviehouse' as opposed to metroplex would likely be a good motivation though.

Go see Battleship. And go in peace.

Sorry to hear that, I hear you on ticket prices though. The last movie I saw in theaters was Thor, and Wall-E before that, so yeah - it's not a super common thing for me. I want to go more than I do, but I can't really justify the expense most of the time. (I was at work yesterday, caught a faint whiff of popcorn while reading a webcomic about Avengers, and... I KNEW what I had to do that night. It's the popcorn that does it. I get the craving about once a year.)

Oddly, Monday is the only night of the week I can actually get to the theater. (Working two jobs sucks.)
mmaverick my steady systematic decline
Goin to the 19+ theatre for avengers. Better seats, they serve liquor and there won't be 14 year old kids!
iDaemon infinitely loopy
So, the OTA network 'THIS' ran 'Blood and Chocolate' - a 2007 take on 'loup-garou' aka 'werewolves'. Considering it was kinda 'B' movie semi-shlock it was good enough to hold my interest even with all the commercial breaks. This is a novel 'take' on the 'werewolf' - surprisingly fresh, to me at least. Agnes Bruckner as the female lead/love interest and 'loup-garou' was fetching in her own right, but the whole movie was surprisingly good. A lot of the exteriors were on location in Budapest (I think that's what dialog claims) or some other Eastern European major city. Great exteriors, the old gothic architecture is awesome. Good action, taut drama - made me want to sit thru the ads to see what comes next. Watched it all the way to the ending, without clicking during the ads. Which is extremely rare for me these days.

BTW - The movie's title is claimed in dialog to be a quote out of Hesse's 'Steppenwolf', fwiw. Read that so long ago, I can't confirm nor deny.

Recommend (if you're in the mood for something like that.)
mmaverick wrote:
Goin to the 19+ theatre for avengers. Better seats, they serve liquor and there won't be 14 year old kids!

I wish we had those here. They don't even have crying rooms here.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
we don't even have those "stadium seating" theaters here
DukeofNuke wrote:
we don't even have those "stadium seating" theaters here

Do you at least have a decent snack bar? :)
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Well, they do pop the popcorn themselves, but they only make one batch a night, so if you go to the late show, if you're lucky enough to get any, it'll be cold.
I watched 2 movies tonight:

What's Your Number. Thought it was ok.

Zookeeper. Wasn't that good.
Metacell wrote:
I've seen that version with the extended opening monologue with all the illustrations. It really kills the atmosphere. The Sci-Fi miniseries version is really so much better. But I still like the theatrical version of Lynch's Dune just for all the cool imagery. But not for Sting prancing in his Speedos.

A lot of people dislike the Lynch version, but, having read the books, what ruled was that it was just a movie, so it gave visual flesh to the book. I love the imagery. I always see the characters in Dune the way Lynch's movie showed them, in a good way, like the way Jackson's LOTR did. I dont think I ever saw the overdubbed one.

Also agreed that the Sci-Fi is a much better telling of the story though.
Just came back from The Avengers. I liked it a lot, it's kid appropriate with a strong message and a lot of fun.

Last week I saw Shaolin on DVD. It's historical fiction with some good action, reminded me a lot of Jet Li's Fearless in that a reckless man becomes reformed. Jackie Chan has a small role in it too.
I watched The Sitter last night. It was ok. A more modern version of Adventures in Babysitting.
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
justine wrote:
I watched The Sitter last night. It was ok. A more modern version of Adventures in Babysitting.

Nobody gets out of here without singin' the blues.
Séamas wrote:
Blood Mania (1970) This is a pretty trashy thriller. I was expecting a little more horror, psycho killers, or maybe vampires or something. Each time my wife walked in the room, one of the actresses was removing her blouse, taking a bath, skinny dipping or knockin' boots with the lead actor. Trivia: the lead actress in this flick also played Creedo in Star Wars. Though it pains me to say this, I will admit that Star Wars is a better movie than Blood Mania. Only slightly so, because this movie has lots of boobage, where the only boobs in Star Wars are Luke, Jawas and C3PO.

I think Jabba the Hut showed his boobs.
The avengers was pretty decent. a bit schmaltzy and certainly not as cerebral as the Dark Knight movies, but captured the essence of comic books pretty well. Most comics are a bit schmaltzy and not that cerebral. But it delivered the goods action wise.

One thing in particular that I liked was how it juggled the various characters. The XMen movies seemed to emphasize Wolverine too much. this really got the team dynamic down really well. All the characters had their chance to shine, and none was the star. (Well, maybe the Hulk).
The Black Swan. The Red Shoes meets Jacob's Ladder?

Ms Portman carried the whole thing and I thought she was superb.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69 ... 198