What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64 ... 195
Online now: Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot]
Alexander Supertramp this was uncalled for.
Séamas wrote:
Coraline

It was done well. I've kinda got tired of Tim Burton's schtick, but he used a better visual vocabulary in this one.

It was a bit *too* frightening for my kids (5 & 7), but I coaxed them into seeing it through the end.

Tim Burton had nothing to do with Coraline.
bratboy so sorry I schooled you
Neil Gaiman wrote the book at least, yes? Not sure who did the film, haven't caught it yet.
Oh it's great. Wonderful hand-crafted animation, and a fun story. Definitely check it out. Gaiman wrote the book, Henry Selick wrote and directed the movie.

Tim Burton wasn't involved. ;)
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
Oh yeah, Coraline was awesome.
Séamas Honorary Consul General
Alexander Supertramp wrote:
Séamas wrote:
Coraline

It was done well. I've kinda got tired of Tim Burton's schtick, but he used a better visual vocabulary in this one.

It was a bit *too* frightening for my kids (5 & 7), but I coaxed them into seeing it through the end.

You are correct.

The DVD cover stated something to the effect of "From the maker of Nightmare before Christmas", so instantly I thought Tim Burton.

But alas it was from the same producer. (Henry Selick).

No wonder I liked the visuals better. The color harmonies were excellent--where I often dislike Tim Burton's color choices. His stuff always looks like he got samples from Hot Topix.

I'd have enjoyed it more if the kids weren't reacting so negatively. My son has an incredible sensitivity whenever there is a conflict or separation between parents and children. My wife took him to see "How to Tame a Dragon" and when the father disowned his son, he completely lost it.
Stop threatening to leave the boy!
Metacell wrote:
Stop threatening to leave the boy!

LOL!

I think he's sensitive to it because he really values all of our family time.
It goes for all of us, but he expresses if verbally all the time, which is awesome.
Séamas wrote:
Séamas wrote:
Coraline

You are correct.

The DVD cover stated something to the effect of "From the maker of Nightmare before Christmas", so instantly I thought Tim Burton.

No wonder I liked the visuals better. The color harmonies were excellent--where I often dislike Tim Burton's color choices. His stuff always looks like he got samples from Hot Topix.

I'd have enjoyed it more if the kids weren't reacting so negatively. My son has an incredible sensitivity whenever there is a conflict or separation between parents and children. My wife took him to see "How to Tame a Dragon" and when the father disowned his son, he completely lost it.

Tim Burton didn't direct Nightmare either.
Séamas wrote:
Séamas wrote:
Coraline

You are correct.

Tim Burton didn't direct Nightmare either.

Hmm. Yes. Wrote it I see.

Pretty sure he created the prep drawings as well.
Two I've recently seen from my netflix list:

Dummy (2003)

Adrien Brody plays an introverted man-child, who finally comes out of his shell when he pursues his dream of becoming a ventriloquist. It's a predictable, "follow your dreams" movie. Milla Jovovich is funny as a foul mouthed garage rocker who converts her band to play Klezmer music to get a gig at a Jewish wedding.

Harper (1966)

A mystery/thriller where Paul Newman plays the broke, sharp witted private eye. Of course, everyone is not who they seem, but it goes along well.
The artist - perhaps the prototypical example of an overrated movie. Totally did not get why it's up for an Oscar. Part of the problem is the director said that melodramas made the best silent movies, so the movie is a melodrama. As such it's not all that realistic, and thus the drama doesn't seem real. And it highlights the negatives of silent movies. silent movies work well as slapstick shorts, but not as well as dramatic movies.

It was charming, but slight. The positives? The female lead is cute, the dog is cute, and the ending is upbeat. And the lead actor is charming. But that it. Not a best picture at all.

And I wonder how much they paid Malcolm McDowell. If he's in the movie for more than 8 seconds i'd be shocked.
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
V For Vendetta

:up:
Macskeeball RES RADICAL
Batman Returns
Star Trek (Reboot).

Still can't understand why people think it's awesome.
Shnicky-Poo wrote:
Star Trek (Reboot).

Creeping societal infantilism?
Shnicky-Poo wrote:
Star Trek (Reboot).

There's nothing really distinguishing about the story compared to even the TNG movies. It's just got a buttload more cgi.
Macskeeball RES RADICAL
It was the first Star Trek thing I saw, and I liked it then. It's what got me into the rest of Star Trek, but once I did that and watched the reboot a second time I saw that it wasn't as good as the rest of the franchise. Well, maybe better than the motionless picture.
jkahless Custom Title
I liked it more than any TNG movie except First Contact. It's true that the story wasn't anything to write home about, but it was a much better executed movie.
Macskeeball wrote:
It was the first Star Trek thing I saw, and I liked it then. It's what got me into the rest of Star Trek, but once I did that and watched the reboot a second time I saw that it wasn't as good as the rest of the franchise. Well, maybe better than the motionless picture.

I love the motionless picture. Potrait of a zeitgeist!
Geesie Couldn't hit it sideways
It was better than V, I'll say that.
Geesie wrote:

In fairness, few things aren't.
Shnicky-Poo wrote:
Geesie wrote:

In fairness, few things aren't.

Having diharrea is better than V. Which was V again?
Macskeeball RES RADICAL
Batman & Robin. Meh.
The Rack. 1950s

Paul Newman is a returning Korea war POW charged with collaborating with the enemy.

Easy to see why he was a star who deserved the title.
Macskeeball RES RADICAL
Tangled, Hulk, and Twins
Exporting Raymond, a documentary in which the creator/writer of "Everybody Loves Raymond" attempts to explain the humor (via translators) in "Raymond" to Russian actors/writers/producers/studio heads while "helping" the creation of a Russian version of his show. One does not have to have been a fan of the original sitcom to find humor in his frustration which can be summed up in his final lines before the credits roll (this is a paraphrase): "I guess this proves the universality of family humor. And of studios as well."
FUBAR

I can't believe I use to live like that. To be fair though, I was never quite that bad and even during my lowest ebb, ca. 1986-87, I would usually leave the party when guys that far gone showed up. Still, I did the banger thing for almost 10 years and it was 1991 before I finally said enough is enough and closed that chapter of my life.
Macskeeball RES RADICAL
Daddy Day Care
Airport
dv
Watched Enemy Mine last night. Kickass movie. (Won't be available on Netflix after tomorow... sad)
Macskeeball RES RADICAL
Yeah, all the Starz content is going away from streaming.
dv
Macskeeball wrote:
Yeah, all the Starz content is going away from streaming.

I know...

1123022.jpg
The Godfather on AMC. 40th Anniversary. Still holds up well, although I always liked II better. Godfather II is a frigging masterpiece.
Freakout Jackson Chillin' with mah trollees™
Saw the Descendants saturday.
Went expecting to be all meh™ but loved it.
FunkyRes The artist formerly known as resedit
Star Ware EP 1 3D a few days ago.
Waste of money, should have left it 2D.
Macskeeball RES RADICAL
Correction: Should have never made it to begin with.
Johnny English Reborn

:up:
Attack of the Monsters

also known as Gamera Vs. Guiron
Interesting story with some fantastic subplots. Great costumes and superb special effects.
Overall I found the story gave me a lot to think about.
I think my copy was dubbed, but there are some around with subtitles.
Macskeeball RES RADICAL
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Original, or remake ?
Senna

Quote:
A documentary on Brazilian Formula One racing driver Ayrton Senna, who won the F1 world championship three times before his death at age 34.

Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64 ... 195