What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63 ... 195
Online now: Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot]
Macskeeball RES RADICAL
The Lost World: Jurassic Park. Hooray for satellite phones!
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Space Battleship Yamato

:up:
Red Riding Hood. Oh my god was this wasteful.
It reminded me of the party game Werewolf, which sounded like a good idea for a movie actually. But boy was it terrible.
dv
Finally saw The Dark Crystal and Labyrinth.

Also saw Pentagon Wars, The Lion King, Chocolat, The Company Men, Bridesmaids, Cowboys vs. Aliens, and a few others in the last couple weeks.

Hooray for Netflix and Redbox.
user Stupid cockwomble
DukeofNuke wrote:
Ribtor wrote:
... I like to catch errors in the accents to pass the time.

God, you'd love Cold Mountain.
An Aussie and a Brit, trying to tawk like Civil War era North Carolinian's. Hilarious.

Whitherspoon almost pulled it off, being from Texas.
Cowboys and aliens

:up:
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier Spy.

Not nearly as good as the miniseries. Oldman seemed more interested in channeling Alec Guinness.
Séamas Honorary Consul General
Megamind

Pretty much what I expected. Fun enough.

fell asleep about halfway through House (Hausu)
a whacked-out Japanese movie from the 1970s.

Sometimes it is billed as horror. It was totally weird but enjoyable--but I was too damned tired to stay awake.
user Stupid cockwomble
Bloodrayne

Sucked quite the bit.
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
Ribtor wrote:

Not nearly as good as the miniseries. Oldman seemed more interested in channeling Alec Guinness.

Interesting because he completely avoided watching the Guinness portrayal for fear that it would poison his own.
Pithecanthropus wrote:
Ribtor wrote:

Interesting because he completely avoided watching the Guinness portrayal for fear that it would poison his own.

Well then it's utterly uncanny.

Or the director told him how to play it because he wanted the same George Smiley.

Or Le Carre's George Smiley was such a well defined character on paper that there's no other way to play him.

Or Oldman channeled the ghost of sir alec.
sturner Ancient Soldier
No. Oldman had access to Le Carre and discussed Smiley with him. He created the character without Guinness. What you are seeing isn't a copy, it's two artists coming to the same conclusion about the same character.

Brilliant.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
user wrote:
DukeofNuke wrote:
Ribtor wrote:
... I like to catch errors in the accents to pass the time.

God, you'd love Cold Mountain.
An Aussie and a Brit, trying to tawk like Civil War era North Carolinian's. Hilarious.

Whitherspoon almost pulled it off, being from Texas.

You mean Zellweger ? Yeah, she stole the show. Didn't she win an award for that ?
Macskeeball RES RADICAL
Jurassic Park III
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
You were supposed to ignore that one! :squint:
cant wait for the 4th one !!
NoExit wrote:

You mean Jurassic Park 3D?
ukimalefu wrote:
NoExit wrote:

You mean Jurassic Park 3D?

Cretaceous Park.
The new Sherlock Holmes movie. Quite entertaining.
Drive and The Thing remake/prequel.
Drive was interesting. Very stylish in a euro kind of way with an extremely underplayed driver (which actually makes his character interesting). He's a study of under statement and minimal action and mannerisms. And thats not a bad thing.also, Albert brooks plays a nice scuzball who's pretty good with knivEs. I didnt LOVE it, but did like it a lot.

The thing. Standard horror remake/prequel. Better than some, but not incredible. Once the thing shows itself it becomes very formulaic. One good thing about it though is that it adheres VERY closely to the follow up in terms of continuity and explains a lot of things that weren't that clear in the original. Makes me want to rewatch the originaljust to catch all the continuity.

Last edited by jr565 on Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:32 pm.

DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Which original? The original Original, or the remake Original ?
DukeofNuke wrote:
Which original? The original Original, or the remake Original ?

The remake original.
I thought I'd try out at&t's uverse service since it comes with my internet service to see if they had any better selections than Netflix. Well it turns out you can only watch the HBO, Starz, and Encore movies if you also have those premium channels in your cable service or you pay for a higher Uverse level. Well, whatever, I found a few good free movies to watch.
I picked Cannibal: The Musical, which is Trey Parker and Matt Stone's first independent project they made in college, distributed by Troma. It turns out Uverse just streams it in from Hulu's website and it's interrupted by thankfully short commercials. So I could have just watched it on Hulu. Anyway, Uverse sucks for now, but the movie was fantastic, easily as funny as any of their later projects. Really good musical numbers, I was laughing out loud.
Macskeeball RES RADICAL
The Dark Knight. It was the first time I watched the extras for it, but probably the 4th or 5th time I've seen the movie.
Metacell wrote:
I thought I'd try out at&t's uverse service since it comes with my internet service to see if they had any better selections than Netflix. Well it turns out you can only watch the HBO, Starz, and Encore movies if you also have those premium channels in your cable service or you pay for a higher Uverse level.
[snip]

Of course AT&T U-verse stands to make more money from you if you add those premium channels, but this limitation is the policy of those channels and not that your ISP.
justine Elitist Beer Lover
I saw The Change Up. It was worth seeing but not as funny as i was expecting. Still funny, though.
DEyncourt wrote:
Metacell wrote:
I thought I'd try out at&t's uverse service since it comes with my internet service to see if they had any better selections than Netflix. Well it turns out you can only watch the HBO, Starz, and Encore movies if you also have those premium channels in your cable service or you pay for a higher Uverse level.
[snip]

Of course AT&T U-verse stands to make more money from you if you add those premium channels, but this limitation is the policy of those channels and not that your ISP.

Fair enough, I'm not just trying to be a hater, but I haven't found anything compelling about the uverse service yet compared to other movie sites.
Friday Night Lights.

God, I love that movie. Though of course the Explosions in the Sky soundtrack plays a huge role in that.
bratboy so sorry I schooled you
Watched Waxworks last night, which was just terrible. Bad terrible.

But this morning we watched Hercules (starring Lou Ferrigno) which was much, much more awesome.
Reservoir Dogs. Still amazing after all these years. stick fiddling genius if you remember it was his first feature.

I noticed one impossible shot ... it was a two-shot, with one guy distant (on the left side of the screen), one guy close up. But it looked as though there was a depth-of-field effect going on with both of them, as though the plane of focus was at two different points at the same time. If that makes any sense.

I'd love to know how he did that.
jkahless Custom Title
It was a common thing in the 70s, it was used in ST The Motion Picture as well. I'll see if I can find out what the technique was called.
jkahless Custom Title
They used a "split focus diopter."

Yeah, that's it! Thanks for that.

:: researches madly ::
Oh look, here's another one!

Pithecanthropus Roast Master
bratboy wrote:
But this morning we watched Hercules (starring Lou Ferrigno) which was much, much more awesome.

I saw that movie in the theatre when it came out. It's the only movie I ever walked out on.
Ender bug hunter
just watched Drive, loved it!
Just saw Social Network again testing out my Tivo. Good, but does it hold up on repeated viewings? Not as much.
The Phantom Menace in 3D. Now I know some of you will never be convinced there's anything redeeming about this movie, but I've never bought into the anti-hype. It's a decent action movie with weak human interest. News Flash! Plenty of grown adults hated the original Star Wars in 1977 for being a shallow toy selling campaign. Whatever. I've always enjoyed this movie despite about 10 minutes of cringe inducing bad dialogue. The other 110 minutes are cool.

I have to say that the 3D desperately enhances the composition of many of the over-cgi prequel scenes in that you can actually place everything in a logical space and understand what all the jiggly sparkles are actually meant to be. As for the 3D, it's as good as any of the faux 3D movies I've seen yet, which is to say it wasn't blurring or jarring and there were some suitably stunning scenes. Darth Maul falling into the pit looked really cool. But still nowhere as good as natural 3D. You won't see any realistic hair or surface textures, and this is always noticeable to me, but still I had fun.
Coraline

It was done well. I've kinda got tired of Tim Burton's schtick, but he used a better visual vocabulary in this one.

It was a bit *too* frightening for my kids (5 & 7), but I coaxed them into seeing it through the end.
Macskeeball RES RADICAL
JJ Abrams Star Trek (2nd time) and Shrek the Third (1st time)
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63 ... 195