What was the last movie you saw?

Music and video: analog or digital
DukeofNuke
Title: FREE RADICAL

Post by DukeofNuke »

Still, Eastwood plays the guy the same, if it's the same character or not.
The little cigars. The squinting eyes. The attitude.
However you want to put it together; Joe and Blondie and MWNN may be the same guy in different times of his life, or may be totally different stories. Eastwood inhabits the same persona for each.
intellectual/hipster/nihilist

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts."
-Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan
ukimalefu
Title: want, but shouldn't, may anyway

Post by ukimalefu »

Whatever. All men wanted to say "go ahead make my day" sometime.
justine
Title: Elitist Beer Lover

Post by justine »

Gulliver's Travels. It was kinda cute.
"The older i get, the less i care about what people think of me. therefore the older i get, the more i enjoy life."

"Life is so constructed, that the event does not, cannot, will not, match the expectation."
Shnicky-Poo

Post by Shnicky-Poo »

ukimalefu wrote: Whatever. All men wanted to say "go ahead make my day" sometime.

I think what you should be asking yourself is, "do I feel lucky?"

Well? Do ya, punk?
Gods are my co-pilots.
Pithecanthropus
Title: Roast Master

Post by Pithecanthropus »

Watched Apollo 18 last night.

If no one has been back to the moon since, how did they get all that film? Why are they walking normally on the moon's surface? Why is there sound?

Other than that, it's kind of neat looking and not a bad little horror story.
set DeusEx.JCDentonMale bCheatsEnabled true
ScifiterX

Post by ScifiterX »

That wasn't the issue I thought. They had already announced prior to Apollo 17 that it was to be the last mission. In fact, I'm sure they had decided that as early as during the Apollo 14 preparations. Apollo 13 and a shrinking budget are what caused them to call it quits early (Apollo 20 was the last mission originally planned).They had already started a Saturn V build for Apollo 18 but when the cancellation was announced the repurposed it to serve as the SL-1 (Skylab Launch) delivery vehicle and they used the remaining Apollo CSMs as crew delivery pods for SL-2, SL-3, & SL-4 (the manned Skylab Missions).
jr565

Post by jr565 »

DukeofNuke wrote: Still, Eastwood plays the guy the same, if it's the same character or not.
The little cigars. The squinting eyes. The attitude.
However you want to put it together; Joe and Blondie and MWNN may be the same guy in different times of his life, or may be totally different stories. Eastwood inhabits the same persona for each.

Maybe that's more the case that Eastwood always plays the same character even outside of the Man With No Name series. He's always the man with no name.

I happen to like Eastwood and a lot of his movies, but he's not the most versatile of actors.
STFU stick fiddler
DukeofNuke

Post by DukeofNuke »

I havent seen it, but I thought that the 18 mission (in the movie) was a secret mission to find out about the alien human waste brought back by the others that turns into a monster movie.

I got all that from half watching one trailer one time

DEyncourt

Post by DEyncourt »

Tangled, which I caught while it is making the circuit on the Starz cable channels.

As has happened with lot of classic tales, this Disney retelling makes considerable modifications on the orginal story making Rapunzel a missing princess rather than being discovered by a prince. According to the trivia notes at IMDB.com this movie was originally conceived as something of a follow-up to the partially animated Enchanted and was to be similarly partially animated, but instead became the 50th full-length animated release from Disney and one of the first which has Pixar's John Lasseter as one of its executive producers (as opposed to the co-releases from Disney and Pixar like the Toy Stories). Altogether a pleasant 100 minutes--anyone who liked the other recent "Disney Princess" movies (the Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, etc.) should enjoy this. I especially liked the one scene [spoiler]where Rapunzel is asked to sing so that her "mother" can top off her youth, but Rapunzel does it so perfunctorily that her mother hardly has a chance to enjoy the sensation--teenagers, hrumph[/spoiler]. I also missed hearing the line, "Rapunzel, Rapunzel, let down your hair / so I may climb the golden stair" although this might have been a "Fractured Flickers" addition from old "Rocky and Bullwinkle Show".
Freakout Jackson
Title: Chillin' with mah trollees™

Post by Freakout Jackson »

The boy & I just watched The Right Stuff.
user
Title: Stupid cockwomble

Post by user »

Did you have to explain the "Wild Blue Yonder" scene in the men's room?
Aw, he's no fun, he fell right over.

Science is Truth for Life. In FORTRAN tongue the Answer.

...so I'm supposed to find the Shadow King from inside a daiquiri?
Freakout Jackson

user wrote: Did you have to explain the "Wild Blue Yonder" scene in the men's room?

I read about it before hand and ff'd through it. He's not sheltered or anything I just didn't feel like pausing the movie for another one of those conversations.
Ribtor

Post by Ribtor »

Margin Call.

Low key take on one aspect of the recent financial meltdown.

Sometimes obtuse dialogue, sometimes simplistic dialogue. Seems more suitable as a made for TV movie

Nice to see no cartoonish bad guy characters. That would have been easy road to take, especially given the way Spacey, Irons, Demi Moore and Stanley Tucci have played these sorts of types in the past. But not in this film. They keep it reigned in and this makes for believable and sympathetic characters.
Pyke notte thy nostrellys
Séamas
Title: Honorary Consul General

Post by Séamas »

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Pt 2.

My wife was a fan of the books, so I'd watched the movies with her.

I think the last movie was one of the better ones in the series. Things got resolved without too much undue sappiness that was all over the first couple movies.
And Proteus brought the upright beast into the garden and chained him to a tree and the children did make sport of him.
rjprice

Post by rjprice »

Scott Pilgrim vs The World

Definitely better than TRON Legacy
There's drunk, there's Army drunk, then there's Disney Princess drunk.
Séamas

Post by Séamas »

The Adventures of Robin Hood--the 1938 one.

I had my kids watch it. They (5 and 7)were a bit skeptical at first, but got totally into it.

I enjoy it every time I see it. I don't know of an adventure movie that's more fun.

I remember when the Kostner one came out many of the people involved would razz the '38 version whenever they were doin a press junket.
The '38 version is a bazillion times better than the '91 version, which is only redeemable because of Alan Rickman, who is always good.
And Proteus brought the upright beast into the garden and chained him to a tree and the children did make sport of him.
user

Post by user »

Something vexes you?

justine

Post by justine »

Breakfast Club. Still a great flick.
"The older i get, the less i care about what people think of me. therefore the older i get, the more i enjoy life."

"Life is so constructed, that the event does not, cannot, will not, match the expectation."
ukimalefu

Post by ukimalefu »

justine wrote: Breakfast Club. Still a great flick.

4EVA!
Metacell
Title: Chocolate Brahma

Post by Metacell »

Séamas wrote: The Adventures of Robin Hood--the 1938 one.

I had my kids watch it. They (5 and 7)were a bit skeptical at first, but got totally into it.

I enjoy it every time I see it. I don't know of an adventure movie that's more fun.

I remember when the Kostner one came out many of the people involved would razz the '38 version whenever they were doin a press junket.
The '38 version is a bazillion times better than the '91 version, which is only redeemable because of Alan Rickman, who is always good.

The only redeeming feature of the Kostner version is that it makes Robin Hood: Men in Tights totally worthwhile.
Remember, people, to forgive is divine. In other words, it ain't human.
Séamas

Post by Séamas »

Metacell wrote:
Séamas wrote: The Adventures of Robin Hood--the 1938 one.

The only redeeming feature of the Kostner version is that it makes Robin Hood: Men in Tights totally worthwhile.

Perhaps.

Still Mel Brook's most awful movie.
Metacell
Title: Chocolate Brahma

Post by Metacell »

No way, it's better than Spaceballs and History of the World Part 1.
Remember, people, to forgive is divine. In other words, it ain't human.
justine

Post by justine »

Metacell wrote: No way, it's better than Spaceballs and History of the World Part 1.

Definitely!

user

Post by user »

Spaceballs is genius!

Ribtor

Post by Ribtor »

Satan Met A Lady

Hammet's Maltese Falcon story, pre-Bogart. Done as a comedy with Warren William and Bette Davis. Not good.
Pyke notte thy nostrellys
user

Post by user »

Bolt. Love the cat.

ScifiterX

Post by ScifiterX »

user wrote: Spaceballs is genius!

What are these things coming out of her nose?
chikie
Title: The same deviled egg

Post by chikie »

Metacell wrote: No way, it's better than Spaceballs and History of the World Part 1.

:squint:
mmaverick wrote wrote: I'm just on a fiddlesticks train.
Séamas

Post by Séamas »

History of the World Part 1 is the best of the three.

I'd say Spaceballs and Men in Tights are a virtual tie for worst.

The thing with Brooks is all his scripts from the get-go are filled with bad jokes--so the greatness of his movies relies on the cast.
Without Gene Wilder, Madeline Kahn, or Cloris Leachman and a couple others, his movies fall flat.
Freakout Jackson

Last 2 nights the wife and I watched Fever Pitch (I'm a baseball geek, loved it) & The Five People you Meet in Heaven (great story poorly told)
justine

Post by justine »

LOTR Trilogy last night.

user

Post by user »

The whole thing? Damn, that's impressive. I'm still working on the first one (I've seen the entire series in the theater, so it's mostly a matter of sticking with watching the DVD set that I've got).

TechnoBill
Title: Freakazoid

Post by TechnoBill »

user wrote: The whole thing? Damn, that's impressive. I'm still working on the first one (I've seen the entire series in the theater, so it's mostly a matter of sticking with watching the DVD set that I've got).

Are you watching the extended version?

That's a REAL marathon if you have it.
Your message could be here. Call 1-800-FORUM AD for more info.
juice
Title: Inadvertently correct

Post by juice »

One of the Encore Movie channels are showing the LOTR series in repetition over the weekend. The showing of the in sequence extended uninterrupted version is up for Sunday.
user

Post by user »

TechnoBill wrote:
user wrote: The whole thing? Damn, that's impressive. I'm still working on the first one (I've seen the entire series in the theater, so it's mostly a matter of sticking with watching the DVD set that I've got).

Are you watching the extended version?

That's a REAL marathon if you have it.

Yes. I've got the 2-disc limited editions - the ones with the window on the front. They have the extended and standard versions on the same double-sided disk.

The five disc sets were more than I felt like dealing with. I don't like the series THAT much.

(OTOH, I have the three disc Criterion version of Brazil).

justine

Post by justine »

I own the 3 extended versions and have done a marathon with them a few times, but i just watched the trilogy on tv. It was nice to see it on tv w/o commercials. We have free channels this weekend. :)

jr565

Post by jr565 »

Attack the block. Aliens versus British young brat hooligans, by some of the same people that made Sean of the dead.

Surprisingly good. Funny and relatively gory. The ending is a bit of a letdown, but up till then a solid A-.
STFU stick fiddler
ukimalefu

Post by ukimalefu »

Shaun of the dead
DukeofNuke

Post by DukeofNuke »

agedgruel wrote: One of the Encore Movie channels are showing the LOTR series in repetition over the weekend. The showing of the in sequence extended uninterrupted version is up for Sunday.

Damn, I didn't know. I spent Sunday watching the entire Star Wars mess.

justine

Post by justine »

I watched I Am Number 4 last night. It was ok.