What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57 ... 196
Online now: Bing (sucks), Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot], Pariah
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
What ?!

Your heart didn't break when Andy gave Buzz and Woody to Bonnie ?

(you're a cold, cold man ...)
dv
DukeofNuke wrote:
What ?!

Your heart didn't break when Andy gave Buzz and Woody to Bonnie ?

(you're a cold, cold man ...)

I felt happy for Bonnie, and glad the toys would be played with?

Andy's in college banging chicks and human waste. fiddlesticks him, he's got his.
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Cars 2

AWESOME! :D

SO much better than the first one, and it's now my second favorite Pixar movie after The Incredibles
The Right Stuff. Forgot how amazing that movie is.
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Shnicky-Poo wrote:
The Right Stuff. Forgot how amazing that movie is.

I still remember it as amazing, but haven't seen it in a long time.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
I think my time line is a little off.
Did Yeager make that unauthorized altitude attempt (When he crashed the plane), before he was not chosen for Astronaut (this is why he was passed over; punishment.), or after, (thought it would get him in, or "I'll show you" revenge) ?
DukeofNuke wrote:
Did Yeager make that unauthorized altitude attempt (When he crashed the plane), before he was not chosen for Astronaut (this is why he was passed over; punishment.), or after, (thought it would get him in, or "I'll show you" revenge) ?

They screwed up that aspect of the story ... I think they were trying to tell the story of th X-15 program. Symbolically.
chikie The same deviled egg
Shnicky-Poo wrote:
DukeofNuke wrote:

They screwed up that aspect of the story ... I think they were trying to tell the story of th X-15 program. Symbolically.

No, they didn't.
chikie wrote:
Shnicky-Poo wrote:
DukeofNuke wrote:

No, they didn't.

Oh cool, I didn't know that story.
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
Unknown

MUCH better than Taken, better than I thought it would be, not as good as it could have been.
justine Elitist Beer Lover
Thor. That is one hot dude. :drool emoticon:
Shnicky-Poo wrote:
DukeofNuke wrote:

The Right Stuff is a great movie to watch and I'm sure it captures the mood and excitement of the time very well. I've seen it probably half a dozen times and it is always fun. There are a few historical inaccuracies though, that's for sure. The whole scene with Werner von Braun and the capsule was misleading at best. I suppose NASA could have used him for some public relations event as he was a big public celebrity re the whole space program but von Braun never had any official involvement in anything but designing rockets, as far as I know.
rjprice wrote:
Shnicky-Poo wrote:
DukeofNuke wrote:

The Right Stuff is a great movie to watch and I'm sure it captures the mood and excitement of the time very well. I've seen it probably half a dozen times and it is always fun. There are a few historical inaccuracies though, that's for sure. The whole scene with Werner von Braun and the capsule was misleading at best. I suppose NASA could have used him for some public relations event as he was a big public celebrity re the whole space program but von Braun never had any official involvement in anything but designing rockets, as far as I know.

Also they really glorified John Glenn at the expense of the others, but it was still a great flick.
The Right Stuff book is a classic.

My last film seen is "Now, Voyager".
Séamas Honorary Consul General
Ribtor wrote:

Do you recommend it?

I suppose it is probably great, as Bette Davis is just about always superb as far as i have seen.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
Deep Red, a Dario Argento arty slasher flick. His films are all lush and sumptuously filmed, yet disturbingly exploitative. Think if Stanley Kubrick directed Friday the 13th. Anyway, it's a creepy flick with a great soundtrack by Goblin. Looks fantastic in widescreen.
Séamas wrote:
Ribtor wrote:

Do you recommend it?

I suppose it is probably great, as Bette Davis is just about always superb as far as i have seen.

Certainly. Any weakness in the story is transcended by her performance.

Today I watch "Passchendaele".
Shnicky-Poo wrote:

Also they really glorified John Glenn at the expense of the others, but it was still a great flick.

"Annie Glenn" is Zooey Deschanel's mom.
Ribtor wrote:
Shnicky-Poo wrote:

"Annie Glenn" is Zooey Deschanel's mom.

I did not know that! Crazy.
user Stupid cockwomble
Good thing the stutter didn't pass on to Zooey.

...I was thinking that Yeager wasn't passed over for astronaught, he didn't even try to join. "Spam inna can" and all that.
Let me echo the sentiments on The Right Stuff. Great movie.One of my faves (though admittedly I haven't seen in ages).
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
user wrote:
Good thing the stutter didn't pass on to Zooey.

...I was thinking that Yeager wasn't passed over for astronaught, he didn't even try to join. "Spam inna can" and all that.

You're probably right. I should read the book, I guess.
(I think I've got it here, somewhere)
Saw the second and third Jurassic Park movies this week.

Meh.
user Stupid cockwomble
But how did the v hold up?
Freakout Jackson Chillin' with mah trollees™
Watched Fistful of Dollars with the boy & friends last night.
We've now seen all the "man with no name" films. "Hang em high" is next.
:squint:
I saw two Eastwood films this weekend.

Where Eagles Dare; disappointing.

The Eiger sanction; utter crap but the sexism and homo-phobia was ladled on so thick that it stands out as a slice of mid 70s Hollywood.
user Stupid cockwomble
Yeah, he filmed Kelly's Heroes to make up for it.
Ribtor wrote:
The Eiger sanction; utter crap but the sexism and homo-phobia was ladled on so thick that it stands out as a slice of mid 70s Hollywood.

Indeed. I especially like:

"If you handed him a nine dollar bill he'd give you change in threes"

And don't forget the blaxploitation - "A black chick named Jemima"
Freakout Jackson wrote:

Is Good the bad and the Ugly the man with no name or a different character?
jr565 wrote:
Freakout Jackson wrote:

Yes. There were 3 "MWNN" films.
Fistfull of $$ -64
For a few $$ more -65
TGTB&TU -66

We watched them backward because I really wanted tgtb&tu to be his first CE western.
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly really is a spectacularly wonderful movie. It's so much more than a western. A freakin' masterpiece.
Freakout Jackson wrote:
jr565 wrote:
Freakout Jackson wrote:

Fistfull of $$ -64
For a few $$ more -65
TGTB&TU -66

We watched them backward because I really wanted tgtb&tu to be his first CE western.

I don't think so, actually. THey get lumped together, but I think GB&U is atually different. Primarily, the "bad" guy in GB&U is played by the same character who plays a good guy for Few Dollars More, and they're not the same character.
jr565 wrote:
Freakout Jackson wrote:
jr565 wrote:
Freakout Jackson wrote:

Fistfull of $$ -64
For a few $$ more -65
TGTB&TU -66

I don't think so, actually. THey get lumped together, but I think GB&U is atually different. Primarily, the "bad" guy in GB&U is played by the same character who plays a good guy for Few Dollars More, and they're not the same character.

They're not supposed to be the same character.
It's a loose affiliation
I get it now, everlong has Oppositional Defiant Disorder.
I think gtb&u was simply lumped in with the other two movies for marketing purposes. There are too many discrepancies in the characters for them to be the same (aside from them having different names in all three movies). It doesn't make the good the bad and ugly any less awesome of course.
Just saw Melancholia. What the f was that all about?
jr565 wrote:
I think gtb&u was simply lumped in with the other two movies for marketing purposes. There are too many discrepancies in the characters for them to be the same (aside from them having different names in all three movies). It doesn't make the good the bad and ugly any less awesome of course.

WTF is wrong with you?
The three movies contain no real narrative thread at all.

Many of the same actors appear in the movies playing different characters. Eastwood's characters are largely the same archetype. We don't know if it is the same guy or not.
The Good, The Bad and the Ugly takes place in an earlier time than the others.
If someone wants to thread the three movies together and make Eastwood's character the same guy throughout, then the Good the Bad & The Ugly would be a prequel.
The American distributor marketed them as the "Man with No Name trilogy".
Same poncho.
Nuf said.

The point is, to whatever degree the 3 have been lumped together by most fans of the genre. It's obvious all the characters have little or nothing to do with each other than MWNN/Joe/Blondie. Clint's playing the same guy regardless of story detail contradictions.
Shoe-string budget.
Same basic location, same actors, same costumes.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57 ... 196