What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51 ... 196
Online now: Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot]
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Pithecanthropus wrote:
Watched Source Code last night. I liked it! Good sci-fi, a little romance, and Scott Bakula says, "Oh, boy!" over the phone.

I'll watch it for that!

I kept waiting for Scott to say "Oh Boy" through all of Enterprise
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
Saw Captain America in 3D today.

First of all, the 3D does nothing for this movie, so save yourself a couple of bucks and see it in 2D.

I liked it like I do all the superhero movies pretty much, I thought it was entertaining enough. It has laughs, it has romance, it has action galore. I enjoyed my popcorn.

But I won't go to bed tonight thinking about it. That, in my view, is the mark of a really good movie.
Stalker

Pretty freaky stuff, even for 1970s Soviet sci-fi. I'm really not sure what happened.
user Stupid cockwomble
rjprice wrote:
Stalker

Pretty freaky stuff, even for 1970s Soviet sci-fi. I'm really not sure what happened.

I've been wanting to get a copy of that movie - I nearly pulled the trigger on ordering one from Amazon last weekend.

It's what inspired the guys who made the STALKER games.

(it's written by the same guy who wrote Solaris)
True Grit (2010).

Although I enjoyed the movie very much I found everyone's nearly perfect use of the English language (no contractions whatsoever, and vocabulary beyond a character's intellect) to be slightly annoying.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Pithecanthropus wrote:
True Grit (2010).

Although I enjoyed the movie very much I found everyone's nearly perfect use of the English language (no contractions whatsoever, and vocabulary beyond a character's intellect) to be slightly annoying.

Watch some of those Civil War documentaries where they read the letters the soldiers wrote home. The poetry of the language in the 1800's is amazing.
Freakout Jackson Chillin' with mah trollees™
DukeofNuke wrote:
Pithecanthropus wrote:
True Grit (2010).

Watch some of those Civil War documentaries where they read the letters the soldiers wrote home. The poetry of the language in the 1800's is amazing.

Deadwood is good for that too.

cork soaker
DukeofNuke wrote:
Pithecanthropus wrote:
True Grit (2010).

I'm much more eloquent in writing than I am in speech, too.

Put it this way, I noticed it and it took me out of the movie somewhat. But I wrote it off as the Cohen Bros., a lot of their characters are more verbose than someone would be in real life.
user wrote:
rjprice wrote:
Stalker

I've been wanting to get a copy of that movie - I nearly pulled the trigger on ordering one from Amazon last weekend.

Andrei Tarkovsky directed both Stalker and Solaris. The screenplay for Stalker was written by Boris and Arkady Strugatsky and based on a novel they wrote. Tarkovsky co-wrote the screenplay for Solaris, which was based on the novel by Stanislaw Lem.

Whatever, both are OK movies. Stalker is quite good until the last couple of scenes, which are not tied in with the rest of the film as well as they could be. Without knowing what was left on the cutting room floor it is hard to say how much of this is due to editing and how to writing. Perhaps a "director's cut" would help tie in these "artsy" last two scenes a bit better? Tarkovsky's Solaris certainly makes more sense than Clooney's remake.

Of the Tarkovsky films I've seen I like Andrei Rublev best though, mostly because the title character is one of my favourite artists.
jkahless Custom Title
About to go watch Cowboys and Aliens. Pretty stoked. It looks horrible in just the right way.
Yeah, I'm looking forward to that as well.
user Stupid cockwomble
rjprice wrote:
user wrote:
rjprice wrote:
Stalker

Andrei Tarkovsky directed both Stalker and Solaris. The screenplay for Stalker was written by Boris and Arkady Strugatsky and based on a novel they wrote. Tarkovsky co-wrote the screenplay for Solaris, which was based on the novel by Stanislaw Lem.

Whatever, both are OK movies. Stalker is quite good until the last couple of scenes, which are not tied in with the rest of the film as well as they could be. Without knowing what was left on the cutting room floor it is hard to say how much of this is due to editing and how to writing. Perhaps a "director's cut" would help tie in these "artsy" last two scenes a bit better? Tarkovsky's Solaris certainly makes more sense than Clooney's remake.

Of the Tarkovsky films I've seen I like Andrei Rublev best though, mostly because the title character is one of my favourite artists.

Oh, right, Lew....I knew there was a connection but was fuzzy on the names.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
I saw Cowboys and Aliens. It was all right. Not great, but all right.
user Stupid cockwomble
When is it set?
Err...I think during the Roman conquest of North Africa? :brow:

EDIT: In case you weren't being snarkey, it's not really tied to any real history, it's just the generic Holywood "Old West" which was not genuinely of much historic significance.
user Stupid cockwomble
Early cowboys or somewhat modern cowboys?
Think OK Corral. And Injuns.
Burt Lancaster / Kirk Douglas OK Corral or Kevin Costner / Dennis Quaid OK Corral
And Boris Karloff Injuns (Not even a native) Wes Studi Injuns (native substituted from entirely different tribe with different culture) or Michael Spears Injuns (native who may actually be part of what's left of the tribe they are portraying)
Lets just call it an Italian Western.
Ender bug hunter
Sucker Punch. Wow that sucked.
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Star Trek: First Contact
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Ender wrote:

Really ? I've been wanting to watch it for, ... well, you know what for . ;)
Ender wrote:

Yes, disappointing. I tried to watch this one twice and gave up both times. It seems like the kind of movie I would like but for some reason it just doesn't work.
TechnoBill Freakazoid
Red with Bruce Willis.

Ernest Borgnine even made a cameo appearance.
Ender bug hunter
DukeofNuke wrote:
Ender wrote:

Really ? I've been wanting to watch it for, ... well, you know what for . ;)

I kept getting distracted by how horrible the CGI was.
jkahless Custom Title
Cowboys and Aliens was ok. Wasn't nearly as good as I'd hoped, but wasn't nearly as bad as I'd feared. Just gotta turn your brain off. There was something off about the western bit, I think it was the lack of music and the look of the film stock they used. Too much vibrant colour and too sharp an image.
Freakout Jackson Chillin' with mah trollees™
jkahless wrote:
film stock

Really? Film?
:squint:
Séamas Honorary Consul General
Ender wrote:

I was just listening to Don Cheadle on the radio saying that it is harder to get funding for a $20 million movie than for one above $50-60 million--now matter how good the writing or story.

The $80 Million + for crap like Sucker Punch is support for Cheadle's statement.

As is the $150 million + raised for Cowboys Vs Aliens.

Cheadle wants to make a movie about Miles Davis.

Maybe if he has a plot where the Miles Davis Quintet takes on vampire robots he can get funding.
Séamas wrote:
Maybe if he has a plot where the Miles Davis Quintet takes on vampire robots he can get funding.

Dude! That would be AWESOME!!
Séamas Honorary Consul General
Pithecanthropus wrote:
Séamas wrote:

Dude! That would be AWESOME!!

yeah, well, before posting that I DID send out a screenplay for it (made it Dizzy Gillespie's group instead of Miles').

Universal has picked up the option for it.
Budget: $220 Million.
Tom Cruise is playing Gillespie, Angelina Jolie is playing the President of the United States, and Tom Hanks is playing the leader of the Vampire Robots. The studio thinks Hanks playing against type will be a huge draw.

PS: one part of the plot twist is that due to a time warp, most of the action takes place in Biblical times and if Dizzy and the President don't stop the Vampire Robots, the Virgin Mary (played by Ke$ha) will be killed before delivering the Christ child.
Metacell wrote:
Lets just call it an Italian Western.

Say no more I know what you mean and it's called a Spaghetti Western.
jkahless Custom Title
Freakout Jackson wrote:
jkahless wrote:
film stock

Really? Film?
:squint:

Yeah, I was surprised to see it was filmed. Watching it, I could have sworn it was digital video. What's the point of using film if it looks like video?
user Stupid cockwomble
Digital is still pretty expensive for the high-end productions and the studios like to use what they know. Film is a lot harder to copy, too. I think they might be paranoid about digital files slipping out before the movie hits the theaters.
jkahless Custom Title
The thing I was reading said they used film specifically to try and capture more of the look of a western.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Full Metal Jacket

Dolly shots go , left to right, right to left, left to right , ...
justine Elitist Beer Lover
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows pt 2. I'm a fan of the series and i wasn't real impressed.
I like sucker punch :p
NightCougar of the Dawn +9650 postcount
I liked some of the bits of Sucker Punch but I couldn't feel anything for the characters or the rest of the story. Felt they should have just made movies of each of those dance sequences. Been a lot more interesting.

Saw Transformers the other day finally. I am convinced that was originally a 3 1/2hr+ flick that they had to cut to make it under 3hrs. There was bits obviously cut. Bunch of plot holes because of that. But the story wasn't bad if only mildly predictable. What ticked me off the most was the new female costar. Everyone seemed to make a fuss about how good she was. I found her terrible. Had almost no backstory and played a character that was merely eye candy. Could not believe one bit the relationship between her and the main protagonist. Heck you could have done the entire movie without her in it and it would have been better. A lot less filler and pointless scenes. Or really, they could have introduced a new girl that has a background more in line with the kid. I kept thinking they would and that she would screw him to go with the rich guy. Really the character needs a female support that is willing to get dirty and is an autobotaholic like him. Little fake British accent girl did nothing but prance around as fan service and was generally useless to the guy aside from the final scene with Megatron.

Battles were also ehhh. I caught some of the same CG reused from previous movies and they kept having to cut in and out of fights to show what else was going on that the real epic fights seemed rather...not epic.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51 ... 196