What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50 ... 196
Online now: Google [Bot], macaddict4life
Super 8

1979 was not as much in real life - the Sheriff was right when he mentioned the slippery slope.
user Stupid cockwomble
Not as much fun, you mean?

We had disco, what more could you want?
I was a "Disco Sucks" person back then. I didn't care for being shot at either. Still, looking back, I guess things weren't so bad back then, standing at the top of the slippery slope.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
I used to hate disco too when I was a kid, but compared to today's dance music, it's really fantastic.
Séamas Honorary Consul General
Metacell wrote:
I used to hate disco too when I was a kid, but compared to today's dance music, it's really fantastic.

Some of it is.

I hated it, but largely because it was inescapable. I was 10 in 1977 and after a year or two of non-stop disco coming out of my transistor AM radio, I switched to listening to FM.

Plus looking back, the only vintage disco we hear now is the stuff good enough to stay out there.

There was probably just as much crap then as now
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
And that's the way,

uh-huh, uh-huh,

I like it,

uh-huh, uh-huh !
The Terminal Man

Kind of fun. I've spent enough time in hospitals and operating rooms in the last year to find some of the OR shots interesting, the stuff they get right, the stuff they get wrong, how much is the same or different between 1974 and now. Similarly, it is interesting to see how various parts of the early 70s naively optimistic views about the interactions between traumatic brain injury, Scientology and AI hold up or don't now.

The scenes where Police officers are guarding George Segal's character are especially interesting compared to present practice. Now there are two officers on the door so one can hit the head and not leave the prisoner/patient un-guarded. They wear Kevlar now too. The most striking "difference" now though is they use laptops to surf YouTube, icanhascheezburger.com etc instead of reading comic books.
Birdemic.

My friend made me watch it. It's the worst movie ever made. No, really, this movie will give you new found respect for Ed Wood, or even Uwe Boll. I can't believe somone managed to fill 90 minutes of camera memory space with something this ridiculously bad. And then had the tenacity to publicize it and get it distributed. A triumph of fail.

But we also watched Wake Wood, which is decent and intriguing horror film from the new UK Hammer company. Definitely worth a watch.
crumble Bow ties are Cool
Avatar. Not in 3D. I still liked it.
mmaverick my steady systematic decline
Just watch fern gully, it's awesome.
About an hour ago I finished the DVD of the Coen Brothers version of "True Grit"--a truly masterful movie. I have never seen the John Wayne version so I am not making any comparisons to that one.

While I can somewhat understand why Hailee Steinfield was not nominated for best actress for the Academy Awards--her role was very crucial but she wasn't enough of the focus and was necessarily more reactive than creative, so she was nominated for best supporting actress instead--her Mattie Ross is outstanding, especially considering that Steinfeld was no older than the 14-year-old Mattie. This was her first major movie (having been in various TV roles before), so I expect that given the right materials and in the right hands she will be a substantial actor for the next few decades.

I'm watching some of the accompanying materials. It was funny that for the Fort Smith street scene they built a façade in front of the modern Granger, Texas, post office, so the business they put on front of the post office doors was "Pony Express Co."
The Last Man on Earth with Vincent Price.
This was cheaply done (in Italy) with some bad sound dubbing, but the movie is moody disturbing and depressing.
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Mega Python vs Gatoroid

But I only saw it for Debbie Gibson. And Tiffany's mega boobs.

And now, the big spoiler (not that anyone cares)

They both die

I swear, it's like SyFy makes those "original" movies BAD on purpose.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0279112/

It was fun !
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
I watched Battle Los Angeles last night.

I think that anyone who has ever played and enjoyed military first person shooters would like this movie.
Séamas wrote:
This was cheaply done (in Italy) with some bad sound dubbing, but the movie is moody disturbing and depressing.

That was the first movie adapted from Matheson's "I Am Legend." Matheson actually wrote the original screenplay for "The Last Man on Earth" but got so dissatisfied by rewrites that he had his name removed and is credited under the pseudonym "Logan Swanson".
DEyncourt wrote:
Séamas wrote:

That was the first movie adapted from Matheson's "I Am Legend." Matheson actually wrote the original screenplay for "The Last Man on Earth" but got so dissatisfied by rewrites that he had his name removed and is credited under the pseudonym "Logan Swanson".

I was reading about that. I thought even with the sketchy production the movie was fairly well rendered.
I wonder what part of the final result he didn't like. I was a little drowsy by the end of the movie and thought the resolve was a bit confusing--other than that found it had an effect upon me for a few days afterward.

I'm not particularly big on sci-fi or most horror (from what I post on this thread one might get the impression that I am) but have picked up a number of cheap DVD collections (Mill Creek stuff).

After watching this flick I looked up Matheson and saw that I am familiar with his work, from Twilight Zone episodes to the Night Stalker and other stuff. His TZ episodes are among my very favorite.
crumble wrote:

I saw it again too, without the 3d, and thought it was pretty cheesy. It's a worse version of dances with wolves, with prettier colors. No reason to see it a third time (though if, when it's on cable and im up at 3am and the only other options are cold case or some infomercial I'll probably watch it again).

Then again, I'm not a big fan of a lot of Cameron movies. Except for The Terminator of course.
DukeofNuke wrote:
Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0279112/

It was fun !

I like that one. It rewrites the Godzilla mythology once again to give all the monsters mystical backgrounds.
Alexander Supertramp this was uncalled for.
jr565 wrote:
crumble wrote:

I saw it again too, without the 3d, and thought it was pretty cheesy. It's a worse version of dances with wolves, with prettier colors. No reason to see it a third time (though if, when it's on cable and im up at 3am and the only other options are cold case or some infomercial I'll probably watch it again).

Then again, I'm not a big fan of a lot of Cameron movies. Except for The Terminator of course.

IT'S SO BAD.

Superfly. A most excellent work of human anthropolopgy and American history. The Rocky of coke dealer movies. The protagonist is, naturally, the villain, the man we're all supposed to hate for corrupting our lives, yet we see all around him a worse corruption he fights against. If anything, this is probably the clearest explanation of American politics today. Available now on Netflix streaming.

Plus the Curtis Mayfield soundtrack is amazing.

PS. Avatar is worth it ONLY for the 3D. And the big giant bird thing.
Séamas wrote:
DEyncourt wrote:
Séamas wrote:

I was reading about that. I thought even with the sketchy production the movie was fairly well rendered.
I wonder what part of the final result he didn't like.
[snip]

I suspect that the early-1960's Matheson would have given credit to Logan Swanson for "The Omega Man" and the recent "I Am Legend".
The Naked Lunch

Interesting, in the way a Gilbert and Sullivan History of The Cold War would be interesting.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Metacell wrote:
Plus the Curtis Mayfield soundtrack is amazing.

I still have that, on vinyl ! :D
Finally got around to seeing Green Lantern today. And I really liked it. I saw it in 3D, which was really unneccessary, but didn't look bad for fake 3D...the colors and focus were all fine and some of the effects were fun, but you really can tell a difference with movies actually filmed in 3D (Avatar, Tron) where hair and other textures actually show depth close up.

Anyway, the story and action was good on its own.
I am number 4. So awesome
Cars 2. I liked it better than the 1st one
Source code. Good movie, liked the ending a lot
13 assassins. Fell asleep for about twenty minutes of it, and some of the 13 assassins are pretty nondescript. (it's easiest to remember them by assigning them a number as in - assassin #3 just kicked some butt, but aww assassin #7 just died).
That being said, it's a well made samurai movie with the requisite bloodletting and cool fighting and kick ass samurai (not to mention some guy they find in the forest who uses slingshots and non traditional weaponry and is decidedly not a samurai, who Id imagine is the most popular character).
If you like samurai movies that arent overly arty or absurd, you'll like it. If not, then it's not going to convert you to the genre.
justine Elitist Beer Lover
I watched Hall Pass last night. It had it's moments, but i'm glad i didn't see it in the theater. I was expecting it to be A LOT funnier than it was.
TechnoBill Freakazoid
I watched Rango with my daughter.

I'm glad I only spent $1.08 at the Redbox for it.
blurt mundus vult decipi
The Adventures of Baron Munchausen

Saw the DVD in the grocery store for $10 and I'd heard good things about it. It's a blast. Two thumbs up.
obvs Social Distancing Grandmaster
The Departed

Just watched it. I had nothing to do before going to sleep and thought I'd watch a movie. It was longer than I wanted to watch a movie.

But it was excellent. Really really good.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Apollo 13
Ron Howard's masterpiece

No matter how many times I've seen it , and no matter that you know from the beginning how it ends, the excitement and tension and drama are still there, every time.

It might not mean as much to those who do not remember the actual event, and perhaps a lot of the stirred-up emotion is memory of the emotions of that time.
Doesn't matter; it works for me
The Dilemma

I figured it would be an OK, kind of juvenile, completely forgettable and disposable screwball buddy comedy. I have to say, I was impressed with how well Vince Vaughn and Kevin James handled a serious adult comedy. It won't win an Oscar but this movie is a lot better than than you might expect based on the "challenging urination" gag from the commercial.
blurt wrote:
The Adventures of Baron Munchausen

Saw the DVD in the grocery store for $10 and I'd heard good things about it. It's a blast. Two thumbs up.

I love this flick. I watched it 4 times in the theaters.
I saw Horrible Bosses the other night.

It was decent. Nothing incredible about it, but it certainly could have been much worse.
justine Elitist Beer Lover
Due Date. Not that good, but a whole lot better than Hall Pass.
rjprice wrote:
The Dilemma

I figured it would be an OK, kind of juvenile, completely forgettable and disposable screwball buddy comedy. I have to say, I was impressed with how well Vince Vaughn and Kevin James handled a serious adult comedy. It won't win an Oscar but this movie is a lot better than than you might expect based on the "challenging urination" gag from the commercial.

I didn't laugh once during the entire movie. The performances were good, but it was too dry for a comedy, and too slight for a drama.
I can't bring myself to watch any of those slice of life comedies. They are all too depressing.
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
Watched Source Code last night. I liked it! Good sci-fi, a little romance, and Scott Bakula says, "Oh, boy!" over the phone.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50 ... 196