What was the last movie you saw?

Music and video: analog or digital
User avatar
Colonel Panic
Posts: 653
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:51 pm
Title: space-age Cpt Horatio Hornblower
Location: Undisclosed Location™

Post by Colonel Panic »

justine wrote:
Colonel Panic wrote: Just started introducing my boy to James Bond. Last weekend Diamonds are forever, this weekend it was Thunderball.

I never could understand the Bond fandom. I did like Casino Royale, but i really couldn't get into any of the Bond flicks, no matter who played Bond.

It might be a guy thing.
"I'm sorry I don't post everything I think." ~ Gozer
User avatar
Metacell
Posts: 11507
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:58 am
Title: Chocolate Brahma
Location: Lidsville
Contact:

Post by Metacell »

Naw, my mom turned me on to James Bond flicks. She loves 'em. It's not a guy thing, it's a humorous sex and violence thing.
Remember, people, to forgive is divine. In other words, it ain't human.
User avatar
dv
Posts: 30761
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:42 pm

Post by dv »

Metacell wrote: Naw, my mom turned me on to James Bond flicks. She loves 'em. It's not a guy thing, it's a humorous sex and violence thing.

Seconded.

My mom also forced me to watch Star Trek, on the basis that it was NOT another one of her boring soap operas.
Image
User avatar
Séamas
Posts: 7042
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:32 pm
Title: Honorary Consul General
Location: Where am I?

Post by Séamas »

DukeofNuke wrote:
DEyncourt wrote: I was doing some channel-surfing and I happened upon "Jaws" just at the start of the scene where Quint (Robert Shaw) and Hooper (Richard Dreyfuss) start comparing their various shark wounds over drinks, then Brody (Roy Scheider) notices the blurred tattoo on Quint's arm which launched Quint's story of surviving the sinking of the USS Indianapolis. The rest of the movie is "ehh" to OK, but this scene is gripping storytelling.

ukimalefu wrote: wrong, Jaws is great


It IS that scene that sets up the darkness of the rest of the movie.
After hearing that tale, you are horrified. Chilled to the bone.
Makes the last 30 minutes that much more scarier.

GoodShit, Man!



I think it's a great movie throughout, but that scene is definitely awesome. I don't know how much stock I put into this, but rumor is that Robert Shaw did that scene unscripted.

Spielberg can leave me cold oftentimes, but he is a superb craftsman as well as a technician, but also terribly good at directing actors.
And Proteus brought the upright beast into the garden and chained him to a tree and the children did make sport of him.
User avatar
Pithecanthropus
Posts: 6135
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:46 pm
Title: Roast Master
Location: St. Cloud, MN
Contact:

Post by Pithecanthropus »

Séamas wrote: I think it's a great movie throughout, but that scene is definitely awesome. I don't know how much stock I put into this, but rumor is that Robert Shaw did that scene unscripted.

That's not quite right. He tried doing it really drunk, not just acting drunk. They didn't use any (much?) of that footage, though.
set DeusEx.JCDentonMale bCheatsEnabled true
DEyncourt
Posts: 18274
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:38 am

Post by DEyncourt »

There is some explanation of what happened during the filming of Jaws on IMDB. According to the various trivia notes, Shaw wrote his own speech when the principal writers for Jaws couldn't agree upon how to tell the story. On the first try he did try to read it as drunk as he was supposed to be based on the scene but that filming was unusable, so he asked Spielberg to do in again which supposedly was done in one take.

As other notes point out: too bad that this telling is largely fiction. That the USS Indianapolis did sink with some of the 880 initial survivors dying from shark attack is true, but it was after the ship was assigned to another mission after delivering bomb parts (including the enriched uranium) for Little Boy which was dropped on Hiroshima. The Indianapolis had returned to Guam and was not under radio silence while on its way to the Philippines. The ship very quickly sank about 12 minutes after being struck by torpedoes but they did send a distress signal which was heard but ignored by at least 3 naval radio stations. Before being spotted by a plane after 3 days, most of the initial survivors died due to lack of food and water and to exposure and to some shark attacks, but mostly what the sharks did was eat the bodies of the dead. Of the crew of 1196, 321 were rescued but 316 survived.

But as it was put in another movie: "When the legend becomes fact, print the legend." It is still a gripping monologue.
User avatar
Metacell
Posts: 11507
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:58 am
Title: Chocolate Brahma
Location: Lidsville
Contact:

Post by Metacell »

Jaws is still Spielberg's best movie.
Remember, people, to forgive is divine. In other words, it ain't human.
User avatar
justine
Posts: 16821
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:35 pm
Title: Elitist Beer Lover
Location: Magrathea
Contact:

Post by justine »

A History Of Violence. I've seen it many times.

Now, i'm watching MIIB. I like it, too.
"The older i get, the less i care about what people think of me. therefore the older i get, the more i enjoy life."

"Life is so constructed, that the event does not, cannot, will not, match the expectation."
User avatar
cyclops
Posts: 2050
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:59 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia
Contact:

Post by cyclops »

I saw Source Code on Monday night. Definitely one I'd recommend. :D
"I mean, how hard can it be?" - Jeremy Clarkson
User avatar
lleviathann
Posts: 3241
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:29 pm
Title: The itch you can't scratch

Post by lleviathann »

Kung Fu Panda 2 in 3D.
It's kung fu is strong.
Ever look at someone and think 'a million sperm and that was the fastest one.'
User avatar
Séamas
Posts: 7042
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:32 pm
Title: Honorary Consul General
Location: Where am I?

Post by Séamas »

American Graffiti.

I think in many ways (acting, scene transitions, storytelling) Lucas did much better in this than Star Wars. Then again I am not much of a Star Wars fan.
And Proteus brought the upright beast into the garden and chained him to a tree and the children did make sport of him.
User avatar
Pithecanthropus
Posts: 6135
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:46 pm
Title: Roast Master
Location: St. Cloud, MN
Contact:

Post by Pithecanthropus »

Metacell wrote: Jaws is still Spielberg's best movie.

Good thing taste is subjective, because I disagree.
set DeusEx.JCDentonMale bCheatsEnabled true
User avatar
Metacell
Posts: 11507
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:58 am
Title: Chocolate Brahma
Location: Lidsville
Contact:

Post by Metacell »

Pithecanthropus wrote:
Metacell wrote: Jaws is still Spielberg's best movie.

Good thing taste is subjective, because I disagree.

Sorry, I was forgetting about "Duel".
Remember, people, to forgive is divine. In other words, it ain't human.
User avatar
ScifiterX
Posts: 7063
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:32 pm
Location: Palm Bay, FL
Contact:

Post by ScifiterX »

Gandhi
User avatar
justine
Posts: 16821
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:35 pm
Title: Elitist Beer Lover
Location: Magrathea
Contact:

Post by justine »

The 60's
"The older i get, the less i care about what people think of me. therefore the older i get, the more i enjoy life."

"Life is so constructed, that the event does not, cannot, will not, match the expectation."
User avatar
Séamas
Posts: 7042
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:32 pm
Title: Honorary Consul General
Location: Where am I?

Post by Séamas »

Glen or Glenda.

Though I must confess I fell asleep about 45 minutes into it, I still recommend it.
And Proteus brought the upright beast into the garden and chained him to a tree and the children did make sport of him.
User avatar
sturner
Posts: 14282
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 12:33 pm
Title: Ancient Soldier
Location: Hunkered in the Bunker

Post by sturner »

Rewatched Charlie Wilson's War. God, the one liners in it!

This sunday we watched Bridesmaids.

This is The Hangover with women in it.
"And beneath the starry flag, we civilized them with a Krag..."
User avatar
DukeofNuke
Posts: 33564
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:33 pm
Title: FREE RADICAL
Location: Scintillating!

Post by DukeofNuke »

I caught Star Trek again on tv. Still, the best ST since "The Cage" pilot episode; irregardless of the excessive lens flare.
intellectual/hipster/nihilist

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts."
-Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan
User avatar
DukeofNuke
Posts: 33564
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:33 pm
Title: FREE RADICAL
Location: Scintillating!

Post by DukeofNuke »

Well, ok, except maybe for Wrath of Kahn.
intellectual/hipster/nihilist

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts."
-Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan
User avatar
Pithecanthropus
Posts: 6135
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:46 pm
Title: Roast Master
Location: St. Cloud, MN
Contact:

Post by Pithecanthropus »

DukeofNuke wrote:irregardless

Not a word.

Sorry, pet peeve of mine.
set DeusEx.JCDentonMale bCheatsEnabled true
User avatar
Séamas
Posts: 7042
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:32 pm
Title: Honorary Consul General
Location: Where am I?

Post by Séamas »

DukeofNuke wrote: I caught Star Trek again on tv. Still, the best ST since "The Cage" pilot episode; irregardless of the excessive lens flare.


Whom Gods Destroy FTW

Reason: Yvonne Craig's dancing.


Honorable mention : Mirror, Mirror
Reason: Uhura's alternate universe uniform is even better than her regular one.

Pithecanthopus wrote:Not a word.

Sorry, pet peeve of mine.


Thank you.
And Proteus brought the upright beast into the garden and chained him to a tree and the children did make sport of him.
User avatar
justine
Posts: 16821
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:35 pm
Title: Elitist Beer Lover
Location: Magrathea
Contact:

Post by justine »

Pithecanthropus wrote:
DukeofNuke wrote:irregardless

Not a word.

Sorry, pet peeve of mine.

It's a peeve of mine, too, but it is a word. It was added several years ago.

"Although it's true that the American Heritage Dictionary, the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary, and the Oxford English Dictionary all list the word irregardless, they also note that it's considered nonstandard. Listing a word as nonstandard is a way that dictionaries concede that a word is in common use, but isn't really a proper word. "
"The older i get, the less i care about what people think of me. therefore the older i get, the more i enjoy life."

"Life is so constructed, that the event does not, cannot, will not, match the expectation."
User avatar
Pithecanthropus
Posts: 6135
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:46 pm
Title: Roast Master
Location: St. Cloud, MN
Contact:

Post by Pithecanthropus »

justine wrote:
Pithecanthropus wrote:
DukeofNuke wrote:irregardless

Not a word.

Sorry, pet peeve of mine.

It's a peeve of mine, too, but it is a word. It was added several years ago.

"Although it's true that the American Heritage Dictionary, the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary, and the Oxford English Dictionary all list the word irregardless, they also note that it's considered nonstandard. Listing a word as nonstandard is a way that dictionaries concede that a word is in common use, but isn't really a proper word. "

It doesn't surprise me that the American Heritage Dictionary would have added it, they blow with the wind of popular culture, but Merriam-Webster and the fricking Oxford?! That surprises me.
set DeusEx.JCDentonMale bCheatsEnabled true
User avatar
DukeofNuke
Posts: 33564
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:33 pm
Title: FREE RADICAL
Location: Scintillating!

Post by DukeofNuke »

:roll:

Is there a list of these non-word words?

I would hate to peeve anybody's pets
intellectual/hipster/nihilist

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts."
-Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan
User avatar
rjprice
Posts: 4943
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:03 pm

Post by rjprice »

Logan's Run
There's drunk, there's Army drunk, then there's Disney Princess drunk.
User avatar
Séamas
Posts: 7042
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:32 pm
Title: Honorary Consul General
Location: Where am I?

Post by Séamas »

Alien Contamination (1980)

Alien Species (1996)

Both really, really bad movies.

It would seem that my 50 movie collection Nightmare Worlds isn't quite up to the quality as my Horror Classics 50 movie collection.
And Proteus brought the upright beast into the garden and chained him to a tree and the children did make sport of him.
User avatar
Metacell
Posts: 11507
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:58 am
Title: Chocolate Brahma
Location: Lidsville
Contact:

Post by Metacell »

Bad movies from the 80's and 90's require a higher level of inebriation to stomach.
Remember, people, to forgive is divine. In other words, it ain't human.
User avatar
Séamas
Posts: 7042
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:32 pm
Title: Honorary Consul General
Location: Where am I?

Post by Séamas »

Metacell wrote: Bad movies from the 80's and 90's require a higher level of inebriation to stomach.


I agree with that.
The "Horror Classics" collection I have is spread out from anywhere from the late silent era to the early 70s. Most of them are late 40s to early 60s. So there is a decent number of bad but watchable flicks.

The "Nightmare Worlds" collection is mostly 70s and 80s and some 90s.

I think after the 70s, gore and gross-out seems the main purpose.
And Proteus brought the upright beast into the garden and chained him to a tree and the children did make sport of him.
User avatar
justine
Posts: 16821
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:35 pm
Title: Elitist Beer Lover
Location: Magrathea
Contact:

Post by justine »

Going to see Bridesmaids tonite. :)
"The older i get, the less i care about what people think of me. therefore the older i get, the more i enjoy life."

"Life is so constructed, that the event does not, cannot, will not, match the expectation."
User avatar
rjprice
Posts: 4943
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:03 pm

Post by rjprice »

Hudson Hawk

Without a doubt, David Caruso's finest performance.
There's drunk, there's Army drunk, then there's Disney Princess drunk.
User avatar
justine
Posts: 16821
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:35 pm
Title: Elitist Beer Lover
Location: Magrathea
Contact:

Post by justine »

justine wrote: Going to see Bridesmaids tonite. :)

Loved it!
"The older i get, the less i care about what people think of me. therefore the older i get, the more i enjoy life."

"Life is so constructed, that the event does not, cannot, will not, match the expectation."
User avatar
DukeofNuke
Posts: 33564
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:33 pm
Title: FREE RADICAL
Location: Scintillating!

Post by DukeofNuke »

POTC, On Stranger Tides

Too dark. Not nearly as giddily fantastic as the previous installments.

Save your money for the DVD. You should be able to get it before Christmas.
intellectual/hipster/nihilist

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts."
-Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan
User avatar
Metacell
Posts: 11507
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:58 am
Title: Chocolate Brahma
Location: Lidsville
Contact:

Post by Metacell »

Kick-Ass. It was better than I was expecting.
Remember, people, to forgive is divine. In other words, it ain't human.
User avatar
TechnoBill
Posts: 4535
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:32 am
Title: Freakazoid
Location: Pube City

Post by TechnoBill »

Yeah Kick-Ass was pretty entertaining.
Your message could be here. Call 1-800-FORUM AD for more info.
User avatar
rjprice
Posts: 4943
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:03 pm

Post by rjprice »

Blood Guts Bullet and Octane

If you like festering slimeballs this is the movie for you.
There's drunk, there's Army drunk, then there's Disney Princess drunk.
User avatar
ukimalefu
Posts: 46215
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:52 pm
Title: Screen toucher
Contact:

Post by ukimalefu »

Be Kind Rewind

-It was cool.
User avatar
Metacell
Posts: 11507
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:58 am
Title: Chocolate Brahma
Location: Lidsville
Contact:

Post by Metacell »

Terror Firma. I am speechless.
Remember, people, to forgive is divine. In other words, it ain't human.
User avatar
ukimalefu
Posts: 46215
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:52 pm
Title: Screen toucher
Contact:

Post by ukimalefu »

Inception.

-Very good.
User avatar
DukeofNuke
Posts: 33564
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:33 pm
Title: FREE RADICAL
Location: Scintillating!

Post by DukeofNuke »

Cars.
I had never watched it before. It was good !
The race scene at the beginning made me want to watch NASCAR
intellectual/hipster/nihilist

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts."
-Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan
User avatar
ukimalefu
Posts: 46215
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:52 pm
Title: Screen toucher
Contact:

Post by ukimalefu »

DukeofNuke wrote: Cars.
I had never watched it before. It was good !
The race scene at the beginning made me want to watch NASCAR


I like the movie, got the DVD, still don't like NASCAR.
Post Reply