What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45 ... 195
Online now: Google [Bot]
Ender bug hunter
I just watched Salt and Nowhere Boy this week. I liked Nowhere Boy, definitely wasn't crazy about Salt.
Colonel Panic space-age Cpt Horatio Hornblower
The Social Network

That movie left wanting to do 2 things. Nuke my FB acct and punch mark zuckerturd in the face.
Saturn 3

Kirk Douglas, Farrah Fawcett and Harvey Keitel - with a cast like that how can you go wrong?

This movie answers the question.

On the plus side, Farrah flashed her boobs and we learn Michael Douglas stole his famous naked, sweaty-ass walk-away from his father.
bratboy so sorry I schooled you
Let Me In

Pretty good, nice casting. Quite similar to the original (but missing the crazy cat scene for some reason).
Séamas Honorary Consul General
The Adventures of Robin Hood.

The Errol Flynn one.
Picked up the dvd cheap. Though it has some silliness, it's a fun movie to watch. The fight choreography is also cool stuff.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Errol Flynn and Basil Rathbone can really do a sword fight, can't they ?!
They go at it in "Captain Blood", too;
You would swear they were really trying to KILL each other!
DukeofNuke wrote:

Yeah, they are swinging those swords with everything they have.
There are a few times they do the deal where one guy ducks just in time as the sword swings where his head was. Even with a stage sword a blow by that'd kill someone.
Same deal with the quarterstaff fight with Little John.
sturner Ancient Soldier
Séamas wrote:
DukeofNuke wrote:

There are a few times they do the deal where one guy ducks just in time as the sword swings where his head was. Even with a stage sword a blow by that'd kill someone.

Rathbone was a very good fencer in real life.
The Green Hornet
sturner wrote:
Séamas wrote:
DukeofNuke wrote:

Rathbone was a very good fencer in real life.

Yeah, I was just reading that. In all the films he did, he only got to "win" one sword fight.

When I was in grammar school, there was an older woman who worked in my school, also went to my church--her husband was a master swordsman/fencer and was said to be the guy who instructed Flynn and other Hollywood swashbucklers (possibly Fairbanks too).
He'd always come to mass with a blue blazer with some fancy crest. Really old dude, but he totally looked the part. I recall a pencil thin moustache.
justine Elitist Beer Lover
I recently watched Dinner For Schmucks. Don't waste your time.
justine wrote:
I recently watched Dinner For Schmucks. Don't waste your time.

Yeah I thought it was terrible.
SomeoneOrOther I switched, and it's all goood.
Colonel Panic wrote:
The Social Network

That movie left wanting to do 2 things. Nuke my FB acct and punch mark zuckerturd in the face.

And his plans for FB include making it even "more" social, according to at least one article from Ars, which means possibly more compromised privacy. Have fun with your existing FB account.
:p

Yet some still think FB is a free lunch....
user Stupid cockwomble
Sherlock Holmes.

I was surprised to like it. On watching the extras, it seems that the movie may actually be closer to the stories than the Rathbone movies. I've never read Doyle; perhaps I should.
user wrote:
Sherlock Holmes.

I was surprised to like it. On watching the extras, it seems that the movie may actually be closer to the stories than the Rathbone movies. I've never read Doyle; perhaps I should.

You are talking about the recent Robert Downey Jr. movie? Not at all according to canon.

If you want to see a version which is very faithful to the original Doyle stories, check the Adventures of Sherlock Holmes which was shown in the US through PBS on Mystery. Basically each episode is a version of one of Doyle's stories, and these episodes are also roughly in their publication order in the Strand Magazine. While I watched the Rathbone movies as a kid, Jeremy Brett's portrayal has become my definitive Sherlock.

On the other hand you should also watch the recent Masterpiece/Mystery series of Sherlock which may be closer to the flavor of the Rathbone movies. This is Holmes as if he were living in OUR times (similar to how most of the Rathbone movies were set in its contemporaneous WWII Britain, although a few of the earliest Rathbone movies were set in Victorian England), and while also not according to canon this series is very faithful to the spirit of the Doyle stories. Currently only 3 episodes have been shown in the US, but as I understand it more are being made.
user Stupid cockwomble
Well, it was a claim made in the extras... Guy's made Holmes into an action hero.
Malkin kick 'em in the face; taste the body
Brett is the best.
user wrote:
Well, it was a claim made in the extras... Guy's made Holmes into an action hero.

There is something to that claim in that in many portrayals of Holmes he is almost exclusively intellectual with almost a distain for physical action, making him more akin to Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe.

You won't find this problem with either of the versions of Holmes I mentioned. Certainly inductive logic is emphasized but these Sherlocks are not hesitant to act when called for.
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Monsters (Not Pixar's)

Not bad, not great.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
Black Christmas (the original)

I suppose It would have been better if not for the thousands of cliche ridden derivatives that litter the cultural landscape.
The Social Network. I liked it, but need to watch it again. Love the 'twins.'
-The Expendables. I liked it

-Splice. Great
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
The Third Man.

Possibly the best movie I've seen in years. Everything about it is brilliant, from the acting to the beautifully composed cinematography, to the awesome zither music score. I'd give it a million stars if I could.
The Social Network. It was entertaining.
sturner Ancient Soldier
The Fifth Element. Just for the lulz.

It was as awful as I remembered it, but yet soooo campy.

The cliches are so thick and gooey you can cut them with a butter knife.
What A Way To Go. This is such a great old movie!
sturner wrote:
The Fifth Element. Just for the lulz.

It was as awful as I remembered it, but yet soooo campy.

The cliches are so thick and gooey you can cut them with a butter knife.

MULTIPASS!
I watched Jan Svankmajer's Alice. It was trippy, but a little too arthouse for my tastes. Still, if you want a genuine dark version of Alice in Wonderland, this is the one to watch.

I also watched The Keep, which is a beautifully directed Nazi horror movie with a soundtrack by Tangerine Dream. Nice looking, but I agree with other critics that the script and characterizations are lacking.

Finally, I watched Fantastic Voyage, an all-time classic. Holds up very well other than the old-fashioned patriarchal attitudes toward Rachael Welch's character.
Metacell wrote:
[snip]
Finally, I watched Fantastic Voyage, an all-time classic. Holds up very well other than the old-fashioned patriarchal attitudes toward Rachael Welch's character.

I read in someone's blog where he and his 7-year-old daughter recently watched this movie together. At the end she turned to her dad and asked: "But what happened to all that stuff they left behind? Wouldn't it grow too?" to which her dad replied: "And that, dear daughter, shows that you are more intelligent than most Hollywood producers."

Someday I'll have to get the original book by Isaac Asimov and see how he answered this girl's question. I suspect that there will be huge differences between what he wrote and what got on the screen.
Mister Roberts, with James Cagney and Henry Fonda. I'm going to order Ensign Pulver. :)

Last edited by justine on Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:25 am.

DEyncourt wrote:
Metacell wrote:
[snip]

I read in someone's blog where he and his 7-year-old daughter recently watched this movie together. At the end she turned to her dad and asked: "But what happened to all that stuff they left behind? Wouldn't it grow too?" to which her dad replied: "And that, dear daughter, shows that you are more intelligent than most Hollywood producers."

Someday I'll have to get the original book by Isaac Asimov and see how he answered this girl's question. I suspect that there will be huge differences between what he wrote and what got on the screen.

Actually the movie answers the question in at-least somewhat plausible fashion, that they have been shrunk small enough not to be considered threats by the immune system, but if they start to grow, the body will attack and break them down.
The American

Surprisingly good. Not exciting or meaningful or even important but Clooney turns in a good performance in a decent character drama.
Dead Snow

Quote:
A ski vacation turns horrific for a group of medical students, as they find themselves confronted by an unimaginable menace: Nazi zombies.

Metacell wrote:
DEyncourt wrote:
Metacell wrote:
[snip]

Actually the movie answers the question in at-least somewhat plausible fashion, that they have been shrunk small enough not to be considered threats by the immune system, but if they start to grow, the body will attack and break them down.

Maybe I'm misrecalling the speed at which Welch and crew were restored to normal size, but given that it was relatively fast--in seconds rather than over, say, a week--I have to say that the movie's "answer" is implausible.

Ah, from IMDB:
Quote:
Isaac Asimov was approached to write the novel from the script. He perused the script, and declared the script to be full of plot holes. Receiving permission to write the book the way he wanted, delays in filming and the speed at which he wrote saw the book appear before the film.

I'll have to dig up a copy of Asimov's version.
Solaris

The 1972 Soviet version. Somehow it made more sense than the remake with George Clooney.
crumble Bow ties are Cool
I'm trying to watch the 3rd Mummy movie, but the new actress playing Evie is terribly distracting. Quite apart from not being the effortlessly charming character played by the first actress, she's also not a stunning beauty. There was chemistry between Rick and Evie in the first two that simply isn't there with the new actress.

I don't know if I'll make it the whole way through. Is it worth it?
I did like it.
DEyncourt wrote:
Metacell wrote:
DEyncourt wrote:
Metacell wrote:
[snip]

Maybe I'm misrecalling the speed at which Welch and crew were restored to normal size, but given that it was relatively fast--in seconds rather than over, say, a week--I have to say that the movie's "answer" is implausible.

Ah, from IMDB:
Quote:
Isaac Asimov was approached to write the novel from the script. He perused the script, and declared the script to be full of plot holes. Receiving permission to write the book the way he wanted, delays in filming and the speed at which he wrote saw the book appear before the film.

I'll have to dig up a copy of Asimov's version.

Ah, well, I did say "somewhat", which is a stretch. But I really meant they at least addressed the issue in a bit of throwaway dialogue.
Geesie Couldn't hit it sideways
Also, since the ship's volume remains the same whether or not it's in a lot of tiny pieces...
I watched Megamind last night. It was cute.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45 ... 195