What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149 ... 155
Online now: DEyncourt, Google [Bot], maurvir
TOS
try this one

it's more about the end of the war but it includes a lot about the manhattan project

really top-notch stuff, as i recall
Metacell Branch Dravidian
Shin Godzilla

Yeah, really pretty good...almost an art-house Godzilla film (I'm not the hugest Evengelion fan, but I did watch it all and can definitely see the style in this). I'm a little conflicted because I think it's a great one-off experiment, but not sure I'd want a whole series of this Godzilla. I loved the devotion to realism and the fact that they kept a classical Godzilla while trying to make it seem as real and natural as possible. Some of the shots are beautiful in their simplicity...like this is what it would really look like as opposed to the epic fantasy version.

I didn't like the writing or dialog for the "American" Japanese liaison, it felt forced. I'm also going to say that I found it a little anti-climactic, and that the American Godzilla movie actually delivered more on the action front. Thoughtful, unexpected, different...most like Godzilla 1985 if anything.
juice posted:
I saw that movie a few weeks ago. I didn't think it was as bad as ribby has advertised it, though I have seen a better one based on the events. I can't recall what it was called, though.

Probably "Day One" with Brian Dennehy.
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
TOS
Pithecanthropus posted:
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

aka indiana jones and the bucket of stereotypes
Showboat (1936) Irene Dunne, Paul Robeson, Hattie McDaniel, Alan Jones.

Better than the 1951 remake. Robeson and 'Old Man River' loom over the first half of the film to great effect. Watch the film just for that.
Some might think it cringe-inducing but it was as progressive as they could get away with at that time. The '51 version took a step back in that regard. They should have left Ava Gardner's singing in the '51 version because it was at least as good as her voice-double's.

The Paper Chase (1973) Timothy Bottoms, John Houseman, Lindsey Wagner, Lames Naughton, Edward Hermann.

Pleasant. A definitive performance by Houseman as the first year law prof.
TOS
Ribtor posted:
Showboat (1936) Irene Dunne, Paul Robeson, Hattie McDaniel, Alan Jones.

Better than the 1951 remake. Robeson and 'Old Man River' loom over the first half of the film to great effect. Watch the film just for that.
Some might think it cringe-inducing but it was as progressive as they could get away with at that time. The '51 version took a step back in that regard. They should have left Ava Gardner's singing in the '51 version because it was at least as good as her voice-double's.

The Paper Chase (1973) Timothy Bottoms, John Houseman, Lindsey Wagner, Lames Naughton, Edward Hermann.

Pleasant. A definitive performance by Houseman as the first year law prof.

poor old paul robeson, how he suffered

he was a dear friend of my grandmother's, the whol family loved him
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. I really can't see myself watch the Crystal Skull, though.
Pithecanthropus posted:
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. I really can't see myself watch the Crystal Skull, though.

I've tried watching Crystal Skull. It's so appallingly bad that I had to turn it off after about 10 minutes.
TOS
DEyncourt posted:
Pithecanthropus posted:

I've tried watching Crystal Skull. It's so appallingly bad that I had to turn it off after about 10 minutes.

all the sequels are pretty dodgy, if you ask me, but i'd rate crystal skull as being among the best of them despite all it stupidity
maurvir Perfectly balanced - mostly
TOS posted:
DEyncourt posted:
Pithecanthropus posted:

all the sequels are pretty dodgy, if you ask me, but i'd rate crystal skull as being among the best of them despite all it stupidity

Did you even watch Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade? I would put that as being better than the first movie. Now, while I enjoyed Temple of Doom, it was pretty hokey even for Indy, and I will completely agree that the Crystal Skull could have taken the pink off a pig.
user Stupid cockwomble
Crystal Skull had Karen Allen.

That would make me bust my shorts anytime.
juice Inadvertently correct
user posted:
Crystal Skull had Karen Allen.

That would make me bust my shorts anytime.

And with good reason.
Crystal Skull was the best of the sequels on account of its ridiculosity. I find Last Crusade boring and unwatchable.
Metacell posted:
Crystal Skull was the best of the sequels on account of its ridiculosity. I find Last Crusade boring and unwatchable.

Wow. I couldn't disagree more.
ukimalefu Pondering
THERE'S NO BAD INDIANA JONES MOVIE

THERE'S NO BAD STAR WARS MOVIE
ukimalefu posted:

Pithecanthropus posted:

TOS
juice posted:
ukimalefu posted:

Pithecanthropus posted:

ukimalefu Pondering
TOS posted:
juice posted:
ukimalefu posted:

Pithecanthropus posted:

gd Briefs
Luciana Karel Has banal Sex With Her Bf
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Your girlfriends name is Luciana?
gd Briefs
DukeofNuke posted:

No. Now, why would I make a movie like that and upload it for all to see? Not my style
user Stupid cockwomble
Better if you charge.
maurvir Perfectly balanced - mostly
gd posted:
DukeofNuke posted:

No. Now, why would I make a movie like that and upload it for all to see? Not my style

... must resist urge to be snarky ...
The Joker Is Wild (1957) Sinatra, Jeanne Crain, Mitzi Gaynor, Eddie Albert. Another great role for Sinatra. He plays Joe E. Lewis, a promising singer who crossed the Mob, got his face and throat slashed and went on to resume his career as a comedian, MC and even as a singer.
TOS
maurvir posted:
gd posted:
DukeofNuke posted:

... must resist urge to be snarky ...

i think we all went there in our heads
Séamas Honorary Consul General
Superman--The movie

It's more cute than thrilling. I was never a huge comic book reader (except in college when I had roommates with collections the size of a refrigerator helped give incentive to procrastinate), but I assume Gene Hackman's Lex Luthor was something of a departure from the comic books.
Weird that he comes off so charming, witty and fun when he's fixing to kill tens of millions of people.
Séamas posted:
Superman--The movie

It's more cute than thrilling. I was never a huge comic book reader (except in college when I had roommates with collections the size of a refrigerator helped give incentive to procrastinate), but I assume Gene Hackman's Lex Luthor was something of a departure from the comic books.
Weird that he comes off so charming, witty and fun when he's fixing to kill tens of millions of people.

I think that's what I liked about the movie. It was uplifting, and fun. "You will believe a man can fly" was the catchphrase in the ads, and we did. Sure, by today's standards it's super wasteful special effects, but at the time, it looked like Superman was flying!! Today's superhero movies take themselves way too seriously (except for Deadpool, apparently, which I still haven't seen).
The Court Jester (1956) Danny Kaye, Glynis Johns, Basil Rathbone, Angela Lansbury.

"The pellet with the poison’s in the flagon with the dragon! The vessel with the pestle has the brew that is true!"

The knighthood scene is classic but the rescue by circus midgets is the real capper.
Samurai Rebellion (1967)

Toshiro Mifune in a non-Kurosawa samurai movie.
He plays a loyal swordsman who doesn't like to fight and is "too old for this human waste". His son has to take a wife before he can retire, but his wife doesn't like anybody so the clan lord orders them to take one of his mistresses that fell out of favor. They like her afterwards, but then the lord wants her back and drama ensues. Political and social turmoil build up until the big sword fight at the end.

Pithecanthropus posted:
Today's superhero movies take themselves way too seriously (except for Deadpool, apparently, which I still haven't seen).

I think that's more for the DC movies, in the Marvel ones everyone acts like they know they're going to be around for the next 5 movies.
TOS
paths of glory

early kubrick, kirk douglas at his best, some incredible shots, still an amazing flick after all these years
Ribtor posted:
The Court Jester (1956) Danny Kaye, Glynis Johns, Basil Rathbone, Angela Lansbury.

"The pellet with the poison’s in the flagon with the dragon! The vessel with the pestle has the brew that is true!"

The knighthood scene is classic but the rescue by circus midgets is the real capper.

LOVE. That. Movie!! :up:
I know I recognize that catchphrase but I don't remember seeing the movie.
Get it?

Got it!

Good!
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
I remember watching that movie when I was a little kid, and giggling the whole time.
Isn't there an over-the-top sword fight, too? I would expect one with Basil Rathbone in the cast.

aside: The sword fight between Basil Rathbone and Errol Flynn in "Captain Blood" is the best friggin' sword fight in cinema.
dv
DukeofNuke posted:
I remember watching that movie when I was a little kid, and giggling the whole time.
Isn't there an over-the-top sword fight, too? I would expect one with Basil Rathbone in the cast.

aside: The sword fight between Basil Rathbone and Errol Flynn in "Captain Blood" is the best friggin' sword fight in cinema.

Yes, there is. It was pretty epic.
The Ring (2002) Naomi Watts. Good stuff.

Piranha 3DD (2012) An uncompromising look at water-parks, police corruption and paleo-piranhas.
Ribtor posted:
Piranha 3DD (2012) An uncompromising look at water-parks, police corruption and paleo-piranhas.

I think you're reading way too much into this movie.
Metacell posted:
Ribtor posted:

I think you're reading way too much into this movie.

Maybe, but Christopher Lloyd turned in a finely nuanced portrayal of the voice of reason. The film turned on his character's expository presence and of course, the denouement - for those paying close attention -but I won't give anything away. A nice change for Mr Lloyd.

I found Hasselhoff weak but Katrina Bowden was outstanding. I really believed she had a fish lodged in her vagina. That's The Method.

I haven't yet reconciled the fish biting-the-anus tableau, but perhaps I'm overthinking and it's just part of the chaotic mise en scene of the third act. I grant its effectiveness though.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149 ... 155