What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 160
Online now: Majestic-12 [Bot]
Post Reply
justine Elitist Beer Lover
User avatar
Either at the theater or on dvd. What did you think of it?


I just saw No Country For Old Men. I thought it was ok, but i really hated the ending and i don't see why the academy liked it as much as they did. It was good, but not great.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
User avatar
Chinatown
on dvd.
I always get a little un nerved by that scene where jack nicholson is slapping faye dunnaway around, beating the truth out of her. I think "thats not right" every time. and I mean in a cinematic kind of way, not a moralistic way. It doesn't play right, to me.
but i love the part at the end where she shoots john houston with her purse .22, and he just puts his hand on the wound and just stands there looking at her like, "WTF?"
mtpalms Booshed
User avatar
At the movies, it was I'm Not There, back in December. Not bad if you think of it like watching a movie through a kaleidiscope. I just sat back and enjoyed it.

Over the weekend I saw Control on video. which really impressed me. The actors that played Joy Division actually played the songs, and had me totally convinced that I was seeing the real band, especially Sam Riley.

Tonight I'm watching The Future is Unwritten. I'm looking forward to seeing No Country For Old Men, too.
arkayn Aaarrrggghhhh
User avatar
I saw Jumper at the theater.

Almost any movie that wins the award for best picture usually just plain sucks from my experience. A lot of them do not even bring in what it took to produce the movie in the first place, but all the critics rated them very high.

Movie critics are so out of touch with what we really like.
obvs or maybe not so obvs...
User avatar
The last movie I saw in the theater was Juno. It was a decent movie, but I didn't think it was as good as many people seemed to think.
I think the last one I saw in theaters was also Juno. The last I watched here was Solaris for my sci-fi class. I wasn't overly impressed.
Zapski Gaze into my eyes...
User avatar
Juno for the trifecta, saw it with a lady friend, we both found stuff to laugh at. Fun film, but not going in my DVD collection.
user Stupid cockwomble
User avatar
My last theatre movie was Golden Compass.

For DVD, I've got a copy of Dr Strangelove sitting on my table waiting for me to open my schedule for it. it's easy to dwadle with DVDs you own. I've got a whole stack of never-watched movies that I burned off my DVR so I could free up space on my drive.
Geesie Couldn't hit it sideways
User avatar
The last movie I saw on DVD was "Videodrome."

I don't remember what the last movie I saw in the theater was. It's been at least a year and a half.
Ein
User avatar
Cloverfield. Anyone else seen that one?

Or was it No Country For Old Men?
Alexander Supertramp this was uncalled for.
User avatar
I saw the Bank Job at the theater a couple days ago. It was good enough.
Malkin kick 'em in the face; taste the body
User avatar
We saw I Am Legend at the cheap seats over the weekend. It was worth the $2.50 my SIL paid. :p

No Country For Old Men was fantastic. We almost saw that one a second time instead.
obvs or maybe not so obvs...
User avatar
evilpoptart414 wrote:
I think the last one I saw in theaters was also Juno. The last I watched here was Solaris for my sci-fi class. I wasn't overly impressed.
The first time I saw Solaris, I didn't think it was that great. The second time I saw it, I thought Solaris was interesting, because the star was somehow alive.
Conner Of Gallifrey
User avatar
Jumper, in theatres - Batman begins on DVD I think.

I might go see Cloverfield a second time @ a $1.00 theatre this weekend.
Stealth - Last night.
I Am Legend in the theater. It was OK up to the big monster attack when it teetered into the nonsensical, followed by an ending which was exceptional in its dumbness. I understand that there is a different alternate movie that can be seen on the DVD version out today, but I have no interest in seeing that.
Yeah, they stick fiddled up that movie but good. Too bad, because Will Smith was awesome and the visuals were stunning.

Oh, and I just watched Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas for the ten millionth time. The strange snarling circus-beast still cracks my ass up.
arkayn Aaarrrggghhhh
User avatar
I will probably pick up I Am Legend sometime this week.
I was thinking of that, but I think I'll only do it if there's a different ending. Otherwise it's a goddamned waste of time.
justine Elitist Beer Lover
User avatar
Malkin wrote:


No Country For Old Men was fantastic. We almost saw that one a second time instead.


Can you use the spoiler tag and tell me why you liked it so much?
matt wrote:
evilpoptart414 wrote:
I think the last one I saw in theaters was also Juno. The last I watched here was Solaris for my sci-fi class. I wasn't overly impressed.
The first time I saw Solaris, I didn't think it was that great. The second time I saw it, I thought Solaris was interesting, because the star was somehow alive.


We watched them after reading the book. It didn't compare.

The ending didn't make sense to me. My class' take on it was that he becomes one of the visitors at the end. They never actually leave Solaris, and since he becomes one of the others, he and Rheya can be together.

I guess I can see that being plausible, but I definitely didn't get that watching it the first time. Especially since he and Dr. Gordon got on the ship to go back to Earth. According to them, that was just part of his fantasy, and they were actually still on Solaris the entire time. :shrug:

Conner Of Gallifrey
User avatar
Shnicky-Poo wrote:
I was thinking of that, but I think I'll only do it if there's a different ending. Otherwise it's a goddamned waste of time.


The ad on TV showed it was on HD-DVD, but they made no mention of it... if it is, I might get it. If not, meh.
Shoot-Em-Up. Good, over-the-top, cartoon-like violence. Good for those of with a somewhat twisted sense of humor. :evil:

Paul Giamatti just about steals the movie. Probably one of the best bad guy performances since Dennis Hopper in Blue Velvet.
Gone baby gone.

That movie was stick fiddling awesome. Go see it.
At the cinema, Jumper. It was good, better than most of the movies that have been on at the cinema in recent years.

At home, Kenny :lol:
Conner wrote:
Shnicky-Poo wrote:
I was thinking of that, but I think I'll only do it if there's a different ending. Otherwise it's a goddamned waste of time.


The ad on TV showed it was on HD-DVD, but they made no mention of it... if it is, I might get it. If not, meh.

I imagine that the HD-DVD version of "I Am Legend" should have the alternate version--gotta fill up that space with something--but there are 2 regular DVD versions. I haven't found anything online (yet) which details the additions that the 2-disc DVD version has over the single-disc version except for the inclusion of a digital copy (big whoop).

There was a posting of the alternate ending here but I'm not sure if this still works (blocked from work).
No Country for Justine...

It is life, Justine. The world is, most often, a bleak and miserable place where the bad guys get away and the good guys give up. The Sheriff was at the end of a career that went from where he likely didnt have to carry a gun to where drug dealers killed people with submachine guns in the street. And that's how the world works. It isnt a happy ending, and I think that is why so many people dislike it. There is no closure or meaning... and that's what the author wrote so well, and the Coen's adapted beautifully. But people want an ending when they pay 12 bucks for a ticket. I think it is probably the best movie that I've seen in a long while.

And this is the last movie I saw on DVD. In the theatre... umm... it was Vantage Point.
justine Elitist Beer Lover
User avatar
Warin wrote:
No Country for Justine...

It is life, Justine. The world is, most often, a bleak and miserable place where the bad guys get away and the good guys give up. The Sheriff was at the end of a career that went from where he likely didnt have to carry a gun to where drug dealers killed people with submachine guns in the street. And that's how the world works. It isnt a happy ending, and I think that is why so many people dislike it. There is no closure or meaning... and that's what the author wrote so well, and the Coen's adapted beautifully. But people want an ending when they pay 12 bucks for a ticket. I think it is probably the best movie that I've seen in a long while.

And this is the last movie I saw on DVD. In the theatre... umm... it was Vantage Point.

Yeah, you're probably right. I just felt unfulfilled by the ending. If you haven't seen it yet, see Gone Baby Gone. I think you'll like for the same reasons you gave above.
its on my need to see list, even if Ben "Wooden Acting" Affleck directed it.

And it is an exceptionally unfulfilling ending. I think that's the point... and also the reason so many people arent comfortable with it.

I guess I like it because I am, at heart, a post modernist. :lol:
mtpalms Booshed
User avatar
justine wrote:
Warin wrote:
No Country for Justine...

It is life, Justine. The world is, most often, a bleak and miserable place where the bad guys get away and the good guys give up. The Sheriff was at the end of a career that went from where he likely didnt have to carry a gun to where drug dealers killed people with submachine guns in the street. And that's how the world works. It isnt a happy ending, and I think that is why so many people dislike it. There is no closure or meaning... and that's what the author wrote so well, and the Coen's adapted beautifully. But people want an ending when they pay 12 bucks for a ticket. I think it is probably the best movie that I've seen in a long while.

And this is the last movie I saw on DVD. In the theatre... umm... it was Vantage Point.

Yeah, you're probably right. I just felt unfulfilled by the ending. If you haven't seen it yet, see Gone Baby Gone. I think you'll like for the same reasons you gave above.


We watched it Friday. My husband hated the ending, and while I was disappointed that it wasn't the usual tidy Cohen Ending®, it made a kind of sense, like Warin said.

What I didn't like was that there seemed to be some holes in the plot, and a rush to reach the end - very unCohen-like in the Fargo or Oh, Brother Where Art Thou sense. (Although I find loose endings and plots acceptable in a Big Lebowski-type film.) One thing I found odd is that the killer's killings were progressively less graphic, until you don't even see the last one (and the hotel clerk's is implied). Using the slaughter bolt was a nasty, ghastly, morbid, frightening touch. ::thumbs up::

The Darjeeling Ltd is probably going to be the next thing I watch.
justine Elitist Beer Lover
User avatar
mtpalms: let me know how you like Darjeeling. I have that in my queue.
mtpalms Booshed
User avatar
Will do. Hopefully tonight, although my husband hasn't heard of it and is resistant; he's under the misapprehension that it's a chick flick.
justine Elitist Beer Lover
User avatar
mtpalms wrote:
Will do. Hopefully tonight, although my husband hasn't heard of it and is resistant; he's under the misapprehension that it's a chick flick.

Men. Sheesh. One of the guys in chat once insisted that True Romance was a chick flick and wouldn't watch it when i recommended it. He eventually saw it and found it couldn't be further from a chick flick. :)
arkayn Aaarrrggghhhh
User avatar
I still need to pick up "I Am Legend", but the others do not interest me at all.
mtpalms Booshed
User avatar
Justine,

I ended up watching Darjeeling Ltd on my MBP, because my husband wanted to watch The Good Shepherd for the 3rd time, or something.

Anyway, I enjoyed it. I remember you recommended The Station Agent, so if you liked that, you'll like this. The train theme has nothing to do with it, it's just coincidental that both have trains in them.
justine Elitist Beer Lover
User avatar
mtpalms wrote:
Justine,

I ended up watching Darjeeling Ltd on my MBP, because my husband wanted to watch The Good Shepherd for the 3rd time, or something.

Anyway, I enjoyed it. I remember you recommended The Station Agent, so if you liked that, you'll like this. The train theme has nothing to do with it, it's just coincidental that both have trains in them.


Cool. Thanks. I was hoping it was going to be enjoyable.
justine wrote:
mtpalms wrote:
Will do. Hopefully tonight, although my husband hasn't heard of it and is resistant; he's under the misapprehension that it's a chick flick.

Men. Sheesh. One of the guys in chat once insisted that True Romance was a chick flick and wouldn't watch it when i recommended it. He eventually saw it and found it couldn't be further from a chick flick. :)


HAHAHAHA! :lol: True Romance. A chick flick. mrrph.

And I dont think it's fair to say "men" like that. Women have just as many preconceived notions as men do... just in different directions.
Conner Of Gallifrey
User avatar
I just saw Cloverfield again on Saturday - it was still epic.
I watched "Enchanted" on my new MacBook Pro last Friday night. Amy Adams is my new favorite actress. :D

Lots of inside jokes pointing to other Disney movies. There is one particular scene where Giselle (Adams) is filmed through a large aquarium looking at the fish in an odd manner and the music in the soundtrack quietly changes to "Under the Sea" (from Disney's "Little Mermaid").
obvs or maybe not so obvs...
User avatar
I was flipping around the channels last night and saw a movie called "Paradise".

I am very sure that that movie could not have been made this year. A seventeen-year-old Phoebe Cates and quite a bit of nudity would lead to calls for the director to be brought up on child pornography charges.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic
Post Reply

What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 160