What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 189, 190, 191, 192, 193
Online now: Google [Bot], maurvir
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
maurvir posted:
I don't think any movie has ever surpassed Airplane! in terms of deadpan delivery of hilarious jokes. Space Balls? Yeah, I kind of agree. It was no Blazing Saddles.

So, was the BJ scene cut?
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
I think The Naked Gun is funnier, and I grew up with Airplane. Airplane was kinda' revolutionary, but it was firmly entrenched in the cocaine-laden cultural values of the 70's (and it's Airport '77 movies which are no longer part of the landscape). The Naked Gun still feels current ('cept for the Reagan jokes). I still think assaulting the Queen with a dildo is one of the funniest things set to film.
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
Metacell posted:
I think The Naked Gun is funnier, and I grew up with Airplane. Airplane was kinda' revolutionary, but it was firmly entrenched in the cocaine-laden cultural values of the 70's (and it's Airport '77 movies which are no longer part of the landscape). The Naked Gun still feels current ('cept for the Reagan jokes). I still think assaulting the Queen with a dildo is one of the funniest things set to film.

My problem with the Naked Gun series is that they make Frank Drebin into an idiot. If you watched the very short-lived Police Squad, he's played just as deadpan as Dr. Rumack in Airplane.
I did watch the show, it was my favorite thing ever. "He's hiding in the Chinese Garden!" Well of course it was a Dragnet spoof, but I'm not sure if he could have pulled that off as the lead in a full-length feature.
TOS
greyhound

pretty good, i quite liked it

it tells the story of a single destroyer in a single crossing of a single voyage to the uk during the battle of the atlantic

kind of ridiculous in some ways -- the constant surface battles with u-boats in broad daylight being just one example, plus the regular taunting by a german sub commander of tom hanks' character via radio -- but very well-paced and watchable
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
I also watched Greyhound. Saw it last night.

I didn't really think it was all that. For an action movie it was ok, but I felt Hanks was reaching for a Dunkirk or 1917 and it just came up short. No character development, no emotion, no tension. Just Hanks barking a bunch of orders at everybody for 90 minutes.
Séamas Honorary Consul General
Pithecanthropus posted:
Metacell posted:

My problem with the Naked Gun series is that they make Frank Drebin into an idiot. If you watched the very short-lived Police Squad, he's played just as deadpan as Dr. Rumack in Airplane.

I remember being absolutely crushed when Police Squad! was cancelled.

Quote:
According to the DVD commentary for "A Substantial Gift" (Episode 1), then-ABC entertainment president Tony Thomopoulos said that Police Squad! was canceled because "the viewer had to watch it in order to appreciate it," meaning that the viewer had to pay very close attention to the show in order to get much of the humor, while most other TV shows did not demand as much effort from the viewer. In its annual "Cheers and Jeers" issue, TV Guide magazine called the explanation for the cancellation "the most stupid reason a network ever gave for ending a series."

TOS
tremors (the original), on netflix

watched it with my kid

still holds up great, is a really fun little movie
justine Elitist Beer Lover
I love Tremors!
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
Ghostbusters (1984). In my world there is no terrible remake.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
Pithecanthropus posted:
Ghostbusters (1984). In my world there is no terrible remake.

What remake?
Is there still a mediocre sequel?
Shaft

Who's the black private dick that's a sex machine to all the chicks?

They say this cat Shaft is a bad mother...
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Séamas posted:
Shaft

shut your mouth
juice Inadvertently correct
ukimalefu posted:
Séamas posted:
Shaft

shut your mouth

He's just talking 'bout Shaft...
juice posted:
ukimalefu posted:
Séamas posted:
Shaft

shut your mouth

He's just talking 'bout Shaft...

Then we can dig it.
Total Recall (1990)
I saw this in the theater when it came out but not since then.
What first strikes me is even though this was highly praised for effects and technical work, it really doesn't look it. Then again, I find that any movie that puts such a stress on those aspects end up aging poorly.
The other thing that took me aback--is I forgot how awful Schwarzenegger is. I mean he looks ridiculous, sounds ridiculous and is just a flat out awful actor. There are parts where Tommu Wiseau could do better.
And in the realm of things that I took no interest in in 1990 I couldn't help but notice in just about all of the crowd scenes (except on Mar's red light district) everyone is white.
Then we meet Benny the cab driver. Jeez.
This was also the era of stupid amounts of violence in movies.

The story is pretty cool. I know they did a remake, but have heard it is awful
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
Séamas posted:
Total Recall (1990)
What first strikes me is even though this was highly praised for effects and technical work, it really doesn't look it. Then again, I find that any movie that puts such a stress on those aspects end up aging poorly.
The other thing that took me aback--is I forgot how awful Schwarzenegger is. I mean he looks ridiculous, sounds ridiculous and is just a flat out awful actor. There are parts where Tommu Wiseau could do better.
And in the realm of things that I took no interest in in 1990 I couldn't help but notice in just about all of the crowd scenes (except on Mar's red light district) everyone is white.

I dunno, I thought it was meh when it first came out, and it hasn't improved with age.

As you say, though, stories that focus on effects almost never age well.
maurvir posted:
Séamas posted:
Total Recall (1990)

I dunno, I thought it was meh when it first came out, and it hasn't improved with age.

I also pretty much thought it meh when I first saw it
And my (faulty) memory was that it wasn't well liked, but have in recent years discovered not only was it well regarded then, but (according to places like Rotten Tomatoes), people still rate it pretty highly.
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Séamas posted:
maurvir posted:
Séamas posted:
Total Recall (1990)

And my (faulty) memory was that it wasn't well liked, but have in recent years discovered not only was it well regarded then, but (according to places like Rotten Tomatoes), people still rate it pretty highly.

(o)(o)(o)
ukimalefu posted:
Séamas posted:
maurvir posted:
Séamas posted:
Total Recall (1990)

(o)(o)(o)

LOL

That was actually a visual effect that was pulled off very well. Then again I think practical effects age better than most.
Séamas posted:

It's better than most Arno movies...but it still has Arno in it. I always thought he was a joke and basically people like his movies because they are ridiculous camp. The only two roles he was appropriate for are Conan and The Terminator.
juice Inadvertently correct
Conan, tell us what is best in life
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women due to the pandemic.
Mad Max: Fury Road in 3D

Great movie, maybe better than The Road Warrior, although I think that has some more memorable characters. This definitely has the best action ever.
Black Water (2007, Tubi, leaving soon)

Australian family boating trip attacked by a saltwater crocodile. Based on a true story, this movie is NOT campy, and WILL give children nightmares and maybe you too. No CGI. Crocodiles are friggin' scary man. "Has a branch of your family tree been eaten' by crocs? You might be Australian, mate!"
The Pirates! In an Adventure with Scientists!
(aka vThe Pirates! Band of Misfits)
From Aardman animations, the same people who did Wallace and Grommet. IMHO this is their most successful and well crafted full length feature.
Clash of the Titans
I think this was the last movie featuring Ray Harryhausen's visual effects and stop animation, and imho not the best of them.
You would think that the cast--at least with Olivier and Maggie Smith, etc, would have made it better.
I mean it is OK fun, but is paced slowly and all the characters are deadpan serious all the time. Very wooden and the story isn't told as well as it could be.
The Old Guard (Netflix) - Charlize Theron plays the ancient leader of a band of immortal A-Team commandos trying and failing to make the world a better place. Kiki Layne plays her latest newly "dead" recruit. It tries hard to be deep and moody, but it's basically, "Highlander: the Next Generation." Amusing enough if you just accept it's cheesy.

Ip Man (Netflix) - Highly fictionalized account of the life of Bruce Lee's martial arts master of Wing Chun during the Japanese occupation of China. Seeing that Ip Man 4 had just arrived, I figured I'd better start over from the beginning since I haven't seen any of the sequels. Although most of the events are not true to life nor particularly plausible, they do deliver on some of the best Kung-Fu Hong Kong cinema ever made, up there with Jet Li's Fearless. Donnie Yen is magnetic and the fight scenes are better than a Baryshnikov ballet.

Ip Man 2 (Netflix) - Documents the post war period in British occupied Hong Kong, with the typical Boxer bully and corrupt upper-crust officials putting the heat on the native martial arts masters. It's not quite as elegant as the first, but it's a lot of fun with it's Rocky-esque setup.

Sharkansas Women's Prison Massacre (Tubi) - featuring Traci Lords. Well, I knew what I was getting. Does any review really matter?
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 189, 190, 191, 192, 193