Online now: macaddict4life
justine Elitist Beer Lover
Once Upon A Time in Hollywood

And

Jumanji Next Level or whatever it’s called,
justine Elitist Beer Lover
Fantasy Island
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
Singing in the Rain. If you have not seen this movie, SEE IT. If you have seen this movie, SEE IT AGAIN!
macnuke Afar
Pithecanthropus posted:
Singing in the Rain. If you have not seen this movie, SEE IT. If you have seen this movie, SEE IT AGAIN!

I raised my daughters singing to it. Bought the movie and they watched it (and other musicals) more than that dam dinosaur. And I still enjoy them
:up:
I like SITR. It's no Music Man, but there's Cyd. For me that movie is all about Cyd.
Séamas Honorary Consul General
Better Off Dead
I haven't seen it in a couple decades--saw it in the theater when it came out and then once or twice on VHS.
I have often said that my high school years were bookended by Fast Times and Better off Dead.
I remember that the actress Amanda Wyss was in both movies (Brad's GF and the later Lane's GF--she also played Freddy Kreugers' first victim), but I saw that there are 3-4 actors who were in both movies.

My kids thought it was OK, but also found it wierd.

Jaws
Outdoor backyard movie night.

Always good.
Hannah Gadsby Douglas (Netflix, eMule) Highly recommended.
Locke (2013) Tom Hardy, Olivia Coleman, Andrew Scott, Tom Holland. Man tries to keep his life and job on track from his car phone as his life falls apart. Brilliant. Most highly recommended.
ukimalefu Canadized
Star Wars The Empire Strikes Back
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
The Harder They Come (available on youtube TV)

Starring Jimmy Cliff with music by said same, Desmond Dekker, The Slickers, and The Maytals.

Probably the most famous movie from Jamaica, one that perfectly encapsulates the relationship between the modern colonial consumer empire and the tribal and rural cultures of the world. With a damn fantastic soundtrack. The original 'Boys From The Hood.' This is a great movie.
dv
Rise of Skywalker.

It spent too much time trying to undo episode 8. Like, apologizing for itself almost. Otherwise just a silly dumb movie that was a little too dependent on the previous films for context and tried to cram too much in.

They could have spent an entire movie telling the story of the little droids try found, but I guess they needed a sidekick for bb8.

Actually ilikethat idea. A John Wick type film about a refugee Jedi.

What I disliked the most was the sound editing. I had to crank up the volume to hear the whispered dialog and then five seconds later I'm desperately smashing the mute button.
dv posted:
[snip]
They could have spent an entire movie telling the story of the little droids try found, but I guess they needed a sidekick for bb8.

Actually ilikethat idea.
[snip]

Already DONE. In fact the original Star Wars was THAT (yeah, none of that "IV" BS for me) if you ignore those likable HUMAN stars in the foreground.

George Lucas readily admits that for Star Wars he borrowed stole from the best: Akira Kurosawa's 1958 classic The Hidden Fortress. Of course no "droids" in that samurai movie, just the elevation of normally ignored peasants into the foreground.
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
stick fiddling space horses.
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
The First King; a "realistic" take on Romulus and Remus and the founding of Rome. No myth — no Lupercal cave, no she-wolf suckling, no Palatine Hill.
Robert B. posted:
The First King; a "realistic" take on Romulus and Remus and the founding of Rome. No myth — no Lupercal cave, no she-wolf suckling, no Palatine Hill.

Are the actors British? It's not realistic if they aren't British.
Ribtor posted:
Robert B. posted:

Are the actors British? It's not realistic if they aren't British.

They are Italian. And the filmmakers claim they have worked out a proto-Latin dialogue for the actors to speak, but it all sounds Greek to me.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVMDk61aZTU

Full movie (but it's also on Amazon): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hx0rvxrLqTY
Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Brian De Palma's best movie and my favorite cult rock musical.
ukimalefu Canadized
Replicas (2018)

Turns out, you can have famous actors like Alice Eve and Keanu Reeves, cool enough CGI and practical props, and the movie can still be bad.
ukimalefu Canadized
Zombieland Double Tap

Entertaining and funny, or mindless popcorn amusement if you don't have anything better to do

If you liked the first one you'll like this one
obvs To hell with toilet paper. I own a bidet
Both of those movies are definitely worth watching.
Knives Out

Detective Benoit Blanc (Daniel Craig) investigates the mysterious suicide of crime novelist Harlan Thrombey (Christopher Plummer). His main witness is the in-home nurse that vomits every time she lies.

One for the murder-mystery fans. Most of it takes place in a creepy house and the suspects are the uncouth individual family whose motives are the dead man's will.
The Iron Lady (2011) Meryl Streep, Jim Broadbent. Streep at her best.
juice Inadvertently correct
For Juneteenth, I'm watching Hidden Figures with my 14-year-old son.

I'm asking pointed questions as we go along.
The Nightingale. Geeze, these English were horrible to the Aborigines.
ukimalefu Canadized
A Quiet Place

-

Good. Maybe not as good as the hype made it out to be, but good. I'd watch a sequel.
TOS
free fire

star-studded action flick set in a single room, quite entertaining
Da' 5 Bloods (Netflix)

I liked it.
Black Snake Moan (Tubi, 2 days left)

There is some debate over whether this is some high-minded art film or a cynical exploitation filck pretending to be a high-minded art film. I find it veers toward the latter and I found nothing about it believable, but it's an entertaining story at least, and it has a kick-ass soundtrack.
ukimalefu Canadized
Wonderful Days (AKA Sky Blue)

Post-apocalyptic sci-fi korean anime. It combines traditional and CG animation.

Quote:
2142: Pollution and climate change wiped out most of Earth's population. Ecoban city is built to withstand this. Suppression results in revolt. A childhood couple find each other as adults on opposing sides.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XU3FXPjZK4o
Annihilation (2018) - Natalie Portman stars in this S.T.A.L.K.E.R. inspired sci-fi horror, sort of The Thing meets Close Encounters. Loaded with beautiful and horrific visual and makeup effects, heavier on the psychological end. Gets a little artistically arch ala Solaris (Russian version not the shallow US remake), but IMO this is a kickass movie, never gets boring.

Malcolm X (NETFLIX) - Spike Lee's and Denzel Washington's seminal movie, required viewing IMO.
Metacell posted:
Annihilation (2018) - Natalie Portman stars in this S.T.A.L.K.E.R. inspired sci-fi horror, sort of The Thing meets Close Encounters. Loaded with beautiful and horrific visual and makeup effects, heavier on the psychological end. Gets a little artistically arch ala Solaris (Russian version not the shallow US remake), but IMO this is a kickass movie, never gets boring.

I did enjoy that movie and I hear there will be a sequel.

A few things bothered me — aside from the artistic ending, oh well — is that the backpacks they are carrying display no sign of weight. The actors move freely, unaffected as if they stuffed a bunch of bubble wrap in their gear packs; also, nobody on the crew showed them how to properly hold an oar and row. I know it's a movie, but it really takes me out of the story to see these things.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 188, 189, 190, 191, 192