What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 184, 185, 186, 187, 188, 189, 190 ... 198
Online now: No visible users
Klute (1971) Jane Fonda, Donald Sutherland, Roy Scheider. A PI and a call girl search for a missing person. Fonda is amazing.
dv
Downton Abbey (2019).

The moral of the story is: your family has your back; do not keep secrets from them. Also, lock that uncouth individual from work in the smallest closet you can find.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
Frozen 2

Not only did it feature a kulning, but it even used it in the proper cultural and literal context. (A calling) Over all, I feel it was better than the first by forcing all of the characters to grow on their own. Even Olaf. I went in with low expectations, but I was pleasantly surprised - it's a genuinely good film.
justine Elitist Beer Lover
Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
Us

Brittany Runs a Marathon
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
Charade (1963) Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn (swoon!) in a romp where Audrey, aided by Cary, is pursued by a group of thieves looking for stolen money. Also featuring James Coburn, George Kennedy, Walter Matthau, and Ned Glass (who you'd recognize even if you didn't know his name). Audrey's character seems way too interested in falling in love with Cary Grant, rather than reacting at all to the fact that people are trying to kill her, but apart from that it was a pretty good flick. Some people say that it was "the best Hitchcock movie that Hitchcock never directed." Those people are wrong. The movie didn't have nearly the suspense that Hitchcock would have put into such a script.
juice Inadvertently correct
Whatever It is, Audrey certainly had It in abundance.
maurvir posted:
Frozen 2

Not only did it feature a kulning

[snip]

FTFY

I lol'ed at one comment to that video:
Quote:
when I turned on the video, my father came into the room. He left the family 10 years ago.

Séamas Honorary Consul General
The Matrix
I've never seen this nor any of the sequels. Interesting that it is 20 years old already.
I'm not big on movies with a lot of special effects, mostly because they don't age well at all. This one wasn't so bad and they don't interfere--or substitute for plot, writing and dialog.
One thing that I can't stand about it, which it has in common with many action movies over the last few decades is the SUPER LOUD ACTION followed by barely audible whispering dialog. It took me about half the movie to find an adequate EQ setting.
Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle (2017).

I had avoided this due to my recall of the original Jumanji (1995) which I had seen only once. That movie was super-frenetic but overall it made no sense: what was the point of that GAME other than to survive to the end?

The newer movie MOSTLY fixes that problem. While there is only a BARELY recognizable game, the players here got to plot some strategies which allowed them to win, very much unlike that first movie.

If nothing else, this is worth watching Jack Black play his "inner girl"--his character within Jumanji is played by a social-media-diva girl outside of the game.

And I did like the resolution of how this movie handled the player who had been trapped within Jumanji for years by having him suspended within the game while it hadn't been played, then returning him back to his original time of 1996 when the game ends.

Huh. I hadn't realized this but in the Trivia section for the original Jumanji, one person pointed out that (among the spoilers) that the later movie is the direct sequel to the first movie. The opening segment of the newer movie has a lone player starting the game in 1996 (which wasn't made particularly clear except solely by dated references). That player's full name is Alex Parish and he is the son of Alan Parish (Robin Williams) who built the "scary house" that became the decrepit wreck following that opening segment. I guess a more observant viewer (not me) would have noted that the Parish house was supposed to be the same house from the original movie.
Star Wars: Episode VIII - the Last Jedi (2017).

Ugh. While not as bad as Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones (after which I have simply refused to watch Episode III), just ugh. Even more inexplicable Jedi mind tricks.

I had watched this with the idea that I MIGHT go to the theater to watch Episode IX, but instead I will pass on that until it gets shown for free (like I did with VIII).
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
DEyncourt posted:
Star Wars: Episode VIII - the Last Jedi (2017).

Ugh. While not as bad as Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones (after which I have simply refused to watch Episode III), just ugh. Even more inexplicable Jedi mind tricks.

I had watched this with the idea that I MIGHT go to the theater to watch Episode IX, but instead I will pass on that until it gets shown for free (like I did with VIII).

III: Revenge of the Sith is much better than II and the only prequel to get generally good reviews (Ebert pointed out that it was the only part of the story that was necessary)...although I think The Last Jedi is the best Star Wars movie since Empire, so YMMV. On the other hand, lots of people at the time detested Empire and loved the inferior ROTJ (I remember), so you might like the final one more as well.
TOS
ford vs ferrari

a really excellent movie

much less of a "car flick" than i expected, it's actually about the fraught relationship between passionate, gifted artists and hardheaded businessmen

really neat, definitely worth watching, and christian bale is excellent as always

though it's puzzling how hollywood still doesn't understand how stickshifts work, acting like going from fourth to fifth is some kind of turbo boost

in some shots however they didn't show him shifting, you just heard the clunk of him working the gears, which was cool
Star Wars IX

What a mess.

At the end, where they trying to imply that: When Rey went to Luke's boyhood home on Tattooine, are the writers trying t imply that Rey's parents are Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru? Because the timing and their ages just don't match up.
TOS
Robert B. posted:
Star Wars IX

What a mess.

At the end, where they trying to imply that: When Rey went to Luke's boyhood home on Tattooine, are the writers trying t imply that Rey's parents are Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru? Because the timing and their ages just don't match up.

i thought the movie said she was palpatine's granddaughter?

my gut tells me they're trying to undo rian johnson's the last jedi theme that nobody is anybody ... rey is like, actually i am special, uncouth individuals
TOS posted:

Yes, the movie did indicate that.

But as far as I recall, none of the movies showed any of Palpatine's children. What if one of them was Beru or Owen? Why should Rey travel to Tattooine to visit Luke's childhood home, and the place where Beru and Owen died?

The end of Episode III did show Beru and Owen taking baby Luke into their care. But I don't know if they are supposed to be related to Palpatine.

Last edited by Robert B. on Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:34 pm.

macnuke Afar
even in the future royals are inbred.
I always thought the name was aunt Paroo, not Beru. Made me think of "The Music Man" whenever I heard that name. The more I know.
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Joker

Good movie, good Joker.

:up:

(But Cesar Romero will always be my favorite)
TOS
Robert B. posted:
TOS posted:

But as far as I recall, none of the movies showed any of Palpatine's children. What if one of them was Beru or Owen? Why should Rey travel to Tattooine to visit Luke's childhood home, and the place where Beru and Owen died?

The end of Episode III did show Beru and Owen taking baby Luke into their care. But I don't know if they are supposed to be related to Palpatine.

well the way they've mess with the lore, anything at all is possible

and presumably that would also make her related to vader, right? i can see j.j. abrams loving that synchronicity
Kiss Me Kate (1953). Stanislavsky taught actors that their character has to seem like they are the very first person to utter the words they do. The main actors in this movie never got that instruction. It's like watching a play from line delivery to blocking, which is great because about 1/3 of the way in they are actually in a play. But up to that point, phew! That's some terrible acting. Then we get some tap dancing, some singing, a spanking, more singing, more dancing, and the estranged former husband and wife team realize that they're still in love after all. I give it 6/10.

Last edited by Pithecanthropus on Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:33 pm.

Metacell Chocolate Brahma
Robert B. posted:
TOS posted:

She just went to her guru's original home to bury his lightsaber. It's one of those Jedi sacred pilgrimage things. That they just made up so they could show those two suns again.

OR....maybe there's a deleted scene out there:
Kylo Ren: You know what this means, don't you?
Rey: No!
Kylo: YES!!!
Rey: WE'RE STEP-COUSINS!!!! NOOOOO

The Hudsucker Proxy 1994

I saw this in the theater when it came out, and maybe once again since.
It bombed when it came our, got mixed reviews. I always liked it, its one of my favorite Coen Bros comedies.
It is a send up of a couple of Frank Capra movies, with several allusions to other movies and other scenes all through it. (Meet John Doe, It's a Wonderful Life, Metropolis and others).
Though it takes place in the late 1950s it seems more stylistically like movies of the mid to late '40s
Jennifer Jason Leigh does an awesome take on the fast-talkin' reporter ala Barbara Stanwyk, Katherine Hepburn & Rosalind Russell.

Paul Newman plays a villain character, and displays six pack abs at one point, pretty impressive for a guy who was almost 70.
dv
So I was a slug today. Watched The Secret Life of Pets 2, Robots, and Joker.

The soundtrack to Joker was stick fiddling amazing.
macnuke posted:
even in the future royals are inbred.

It was a "Long Time Ago" but somehow in the future.
justine Elitist Beer Lover
Girls Trip. I thought it woulda been funnier.
juice Inadvertently correct
The Predator (2018)

So. Bad.
ukimalefu want, but shouldn't, may anyway
Terminator Dark Fate

:up:
Shaun of the Dead. I had forgotten how goddamn funny that movie is.
Manhattan (1979) Woody Allen, Diane Keaton, Mariel Hemingway, Meryl Streep. Nice.

The Curse Of The Jade Scorpion (2001) Woody Allen,Helen Hunt, Dan Aykroyd. Got some bad reviews, even by Woody Allen no less. Flawed buy likable bit of nonsense.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Alien Hunter (2003)
James Spader (bless his little heart ... )

This movie is soooo hilariously bad
A string of Sci-Fi tropes one following the other like cars on a train ...

... that wrecks ... and you can't look away ...
Kingman 2. God that show is hilarious.
TOS posted:
ford vs ferrari

a really excellent movie

much less of a "car flick" than i expected, it's actually about the fraught relationship between passionate, gifted artists and hardheaded businessmen

really neat, definitely worth watching, and christian bale is excellent as always

though it's puzzling how hollywood still doesn't understand how stickshifts work, acting like going from fourth to fifth is some kind of turbo boost

in some shots however they didn't show him shifting, you just heard the clunk of him working the gears, which was cool

I also thought this was excellent. But there is a documentary about Carroll Shelby which is also excellent. The director for Ford V Ferrari has admitted that there are some historical leeway taken in the film.

Christian Bale did an excellent job as always, really living the role. Such a shame what happened to Ken Miles.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
American Beauty (1999)
Man, that stick fiddled UP!
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
DukeofNuke posted:
American Beauty (1999)

That is an amazing film. stick fiddled up, yes; but an incredible piece of film making.
maurvir posted:
DukeofNuke posted:
American Beauty (1999)

That is an amazing film. stick fiddled up, yes; but an incredible piece of film making.

So many truths in that film...and yes, stick fiddled up for sure.
TOS
Ribtor posted:
Manhattan (1979) Woody Allen, Diane Keaton, Mariel Hemingway, Meryl Streep. Nice.

you don't find it a bit disturbing?
Once Upon A Time In Hollywood (2019) Everything works, and so much attention to detail.

Speed 2 (1997) No Keanu, and this time it's a passenger boat. Nothing works.
Cleopatra (1963) Lavish is the word that comes to mind.

The Godfather
Always a great watch. Love the attention to detail and the lighting. Unfortunately it does glamorize the mafia, especially Vito.

The Godfather part 2
While I had thought I had seen this as much as I had seen the first one, I realized I hadn't sat through the whole thing. A good number of scenes seemed new to me.
While this is often considered one of the few sequels as great as the original, I thought it dragged, and/or had a couple confusing plot points. Michael isn't as interesting as his dad.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 184, 185, 186, 187, 188, 189, 190 ... 198