justine posted:
The Mule

Was that any good?
justine Elitist Beer Lover
DukeofNuke posted:
justine posted:
The Mule

Was that any good?

It was kinda long and drawn out without any action. It was ok at best. It was pretty much just the same stuff over and over.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
kinda like Clint's career, then ...
justine Elitist Beer Lover
DukeofNuke posted:
kinda like Clint's career, then ...

:lol:

There really wasnt a lot to the movie. Everything you need to know, you already know.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
In the Tall Grass (NETFLIX): based on a Stephen King short story. Sort of like Children of the Corn meets a weird Doctor Who episode, or maybe one of those Outer Limits that doesn't make any sense. If you need closure, this is not the movie for you, but otherwise its amusingly brilliant as it is stupid if you just want some gore and elemental spiritist nonsense. Nice photography, can't say I loved it.

Insidious (NETFLIX): another horror movie by James Wan who created the Saw series (which I despise, but this was highly rated). Anyway, this is a ghost story, essentially a Poltergeist remake, the main gimmick being virtually no gore or effects, all the scares are done using normal practical shots. Amusing and effective for the most part, but another movie (like the previous) where you have to put your brain on pause to believe the characters would act the way they do. Apparently there are three dubious sequels.

SPECTRE (the last James Bond Movie): I missed this one as it didn't get the hype of Skyfall and got some savage reviews, but I really enjoyed it. It's a bit more formulaic with a return to the stunts and humor, but I find this helps Daniel Craig's bond loosen up a bit. Anyway, I think it's silly to try to change the James Bond formula.

The Hitman's Bodyguard (2017): Ryan Reynolds, Samuel L. Jackson. Basically what you get when you combine The James Bond franchise with The Odd Couple. Excessively violent and ridiculous, but the leads are pretty funny. Another big dumb fun if you turn off your brain movie.

So....are there currently any intelligent thrill ride movies available? I hunger for brilliance, but I don't want to watch any 3 hour art movies.
ukimalefu dysfunctional
Brightburn

I knew this even before the movie came out so I suppose it's not a spoiler

Something falls from the sky near a farm. The couple that lives there go find out what it was and find a kid in a spaceship and decide to raise him as their own. BUT, this kid is not like Superman at all, but quite the opposite...
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Frozen II
Not bad. Probably not as good as I.
Elsa has a Gandalf-esque transformation. Anna steps up. And Kristof's song about being "lost in the woods" as a metaphor for indecision in one of those life changing moments plays like an '80s music video. That was an unexpected chuckle.
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
What year was Frozen released? I had successfully avoided it until now. OMG, Olaf is the least charismatic and entertaining of any Disney sidekick to date.
Robert B. posted:
What year was Frozen released? I had successfully avoided it until now. OMG, Olaf is the least charismatic and entertaining of any Disney sidekick to date.

You inspired me to watch it.
I thought it was very entertaining. Olaf had a Jerry Lewis thing going on which I liked.
Metacell posted:
So....are there currently any intelligent thrill ride movies available? I hunger for brilliance, but I don't want to watch any 3 hour art movies.

OK, found it. Get Out (F/X on demand). Fantastic movie, finally caught it. Now I am satisfied. I love how this movie probably makes everybody watching it uncomfortable, but we've all been there one way or another and it is HILARIOUS.

Just to balance out the brilliance:

Step-Brothers (2008, on Netflix): I'm not an automatic Will Ferrell fan. Some of his stuff is good, other times its just stupid. This one kind of straddles the fence, but it's not too bad thanks to John. C. Reilly (Dewey Cox from Walk Hard) and the parents. I'm sure this would have most 15 year olds rolling on the floor, but its not quite witty enough for adults.

And finally, Nightmare Shark (SYFY on demand): It was a choice between this and 5-Headed Shark...and I picked this. This is probably the stupidest movie I've ever seen in my life. However, I completely enjoyed it.
Noises Off (1992) Michael Caine, Carol Burnett, Christopher Reeve, Marilu Henner, John Ritter, Nicollette Sheridan, Julie Haggerty, Mark Linn-Baker and Denholm Elliott in his last movie.

Loads of fun about a group of ridiculous theatre actors.
Séamas Honorary Consul General
The Irishman
Not all that good imho.
There are interesting stories being told, but they aren't being told all that well. Kind of a retread of the same ground Scorsese keeps going back to.

That said Pacino did a good job of chewing scenery, and I thought Pesci was excellent.
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
I agree that Pesci was excellent in The Irishman. I think his was the role he'd been waiting for after years of playing explosive and erratic wise guys.

These were not great performances from DeNiro and Pacino, however. While the filmmakers were able to de-age their faces, their body language betrayed them as the seniors they are. The scene where DeNiro kicks the crap out of the baker was badly acted, and frankly, should have been done by a stunt double. Overall, this movie was pretty unsatisfying.
ukimalefu posted:
Shazam!

It's ok, for kids, if you don't mind that he fights the seven deadly sins, but other than that there's no other religious references

I forgot about this one until you posted about it. News sites were saying Dwayne Johnson was playing Black Adam, but I guess that's for the sequel.

I thought it was going to be more kid friendly since Billy is a preteen in the comics, but there's minor swearing and monsters biting people's heads off.
"Captain Marvel Jr." was annoying as human waste.

They should scratch off "wisdom of Solomon" from Shazam since he forgets he has lightning powers when the main villain shows up and spends most of the movie being a moron. The Superman "cameo" at the end was a nice touch.
Vulture 420
Replicas, with Keanu Reeves. Very bad. Worse that I had imagined it could have been. Avoid.
ukimalefu dysfunctional
Annihilation

I liked it, I really did, but I don't think I liked the ending. I'm not the kind of person that needs everything explained to enjoy a movie, but the ending felt... rushed? extremely stereotypical? and "let's have an open ending in hope we can make a sequel". I mean, they say that the journey is more important than the destination, but, really? the movie ends like that? ok.
Robert B. posted:

Which Disney sidekick is more charismatic or entertaining?

Jiminy Cricket? I suppose, any others?
Timon and Pumbaa

the crab from The Little Mermaid

most of the others from Toy Story
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Mr Potato Head was pretty awesome!
Genie, Abu the monkey, Iago the parrot, Thumper, Tinkerbell, Timothy Q. Mouse, Piglet, Baloo, Cinderella's mice, The 3 Fairys, The 7 Dwarves.
Meh, I don't see any of them as much better at all.
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
Die Hard. It is the Xmas season, after all.
TOS
jumanji

the reboot thingy with the rock and karen gillan and company

quite fun, i enjoyed it, i'm motivated to check out the sequel
ukimalefu dysfunctional
Iron Fists And Kung-Fu Kicks

A documentary about martial arts in movies, tv, and pop culture.

:up:
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 182, 183, 184, 185, 186