What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 181, 182, 183, 184, 185
Online now: Google [Bot]
ukimalefu dysfunctional
Doom Annihilation

-

I didn't know they had made another Doom movie.

Practical effects aren't always good, I mean, at first is like "that monster looks good" and 2 seconds later "that's a guy in a costume", and "the BFG looks cool", and 2 seconds later "that's so obviously plastic". And when they did use CG, probably because they didn't want to make 100 monster costumes, those CG monsters moved exactly like the guy in the costume.

All the money went into the sets, the ship and the base do look good.

*SPOILER ALERT*

Spoiler schmoiler, it doesn't matter.

-They find a dead scientist called "John Carmack", that was a nice touch.

-And, they left an open ending, like, they hope to make another one?

-I don't know why they called it "annihilation". They changed the story a little tiny bit, but it was the same basic story of the video game and/or previous movie.

-

If you're a fan of the video game, play the video game.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Red Sparrow
Meh.
As spy thrillers and suspense movies go, this one is neither.
I will say that it's refreshing that it wasn't all fights and car chases, focusing instead on backstabbing and intrigue; but that couldn't save it from a stilted script and a predictable plot.
TOS
DukeofNuke posted:
Red Sparrow
Meh.
I will say that it's refreshing that it wasn't all fights and car chases, focusing instead on backstabbing and intrigue; but that couldn't save it from a stilted script and a predictable plot.

yeah but jlaw's beeeewbs
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
TOS posted:
DukeofNuke posted:
Red Sparrow
Meh.

yeah but jlaw's beeeewbs

Oh goddammit. That's the con of watching movies on flights. The good stuff is edited out.
ukimalefu dysfunctional
Halloween's coming, time for some vampire movies:

Bram Stoker's Dracula - 1992
Gary Oldman, Anthony Hopkins, Winona Ryder, Keanu Reeves
Deviated from the book a bit to make the story more sexy, but not bad at all. The movie deserved the Oscars it won for costume and make up.
Keanu Reeves deserved the hate he got for the English accent he attempted. He should've went the Kevin Costner Robin Hood route.

The Hunger - 1983
Catherine Deneuve, David Bowie, Susan Surandon
Deneuve is a vampire who's been at it for a couple thousand years and picks a companion to share the blood sucking, promising them eternal life except eternity is not for them.
Vampirism is depicted as a drug addiction. Stylishly filmed. Were lesbian scenes highly sensational back then?

Last edited by j_tso on Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:17 pm.

j_tso posted:
Halloween's coming, time for some vampire movies:

Bram Stoker's Dracula - 1992
Gary Oldman, Anthony Hopkins, Winona Ryder, Keanu Reeves
Deviated from the book a bit to make the story more sexy, but not bad at all. The movie deserved the Oscars it won for costume and make up.
Keanu Reeves deserved the hate he got for the English accent he attempted. He should've went the Kevin Costner Robin Hood route.

I enjoyed the aesthetic of that film and what it tried to do. Anthony Hopkins was terrible.
obvs My password is "contraseña"
Zombieland Double Tap.

Definitely worth seeing.
Gosford Park (2001) A star packed murder mystery but more a dramatic comedy of manners rather than a whodunit. Stephen Fry stands out in a small role as a police detective who is never allowed to give his name to a house full of aristocracy who find the whole business of a murder to be a bit inconvenient. Was intended as a model for the TV series Downton Abbey.
macnuke Afar
Dolemite. Eddie Murphy.
the true godfather of rap. rudy ray.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
macnuke posted:
Dolemite. Eddie Murphy.

Was it good? I'll probably watch it anyway. I've seen Rudy Ray Moore live along with LaWanda Page (Aunt Esther) and it was one of my life's cultural highlights.
macnuke Afar
some is funny as human waste and my wife and I laughed our asses off.
it's not Oscar. but it's good enough to say watch.
Nvmind, just watched it. It's a great inspirational feel-good movie, something I feel Eddie Murphy is better at than direct comedy. Incidentally, while the original Dolemite movie is laugh-a-riffic, "The Human Tornado" is the must see.
Séamas Honorary Consul General
Metacell posted:
macnuke posted:
Dolemite. Eddie Murphy.

Was it good? I'll probably watch it anyway. I've seen Rudy Ray Moore live along with LaWanda Page (Aunt Esther) and it was one of my life's cultural highlights.

I watched Dolemite is My Name Saturday night, having absolutely no clue it was based on real events.
It wasn't until the very end that I realized Rudy Ray Moore was an actual person. I think I would have appreciated it more knowing that.
Séamas posted:
Metacell posted:
macnuke posted:
Dolemite. Eddie Murphy.

I watched Dolemite is My Name Saturday night, having absolutely no clue it was based on real events.
It wasn't until the very end that I realized Rudy Ray Moore was an actual person. I think I would have appreciated it more knowing that.

Must have seemed like a bizarre concept for a movie...but I can almost accept thinking Rudy Ray Moore is a work of fiction, ala Foxy Cleopatra.
Séamas Honorary Consul General
Metacell posted:
Séamas posted:
Metacell posted:
macnuke posted:
Dolemite. Eddie Murphy.

Must have seemed like a bizarre concept for a movie...but I can almost accept thinking Rudy Ray Moore is a work of fiction, ala Foxy Cleopatra.

I thought it was a fictional send-up /homage of the 70s blaxploitation era.
My kids got to hear "stick fiddler" a lot, and see some kung fu and boobies.
ukimalefu dysfunctional
Shin Godzilla

At first I was "the monster is horrible!" as in ugly/bad.

Then I was *SPOILER ALERT* ok, it "evolves" the monster gets better. I ended thinking of the look of the monster as an homage of true classic japanese kaiju movies.

Then I was like, wait, this movie is not about the monster, it's about the humans. Any humans, from any country.

At the end, it's actually a good movie, I really liked it. Definitely not a hollywood blockbuster movie, in this case, that's a good thing.
obvs My password is "contraseña"
Joker.

And I'm really torn.

On the one hand, it's a pretty compelling movie.

On the other hand, it reinforces some really negative stereotypes about mental illness and bullying, and that really bothered me.
Vulture 420
El Camino. It was ok. Walter White made an appearance. I wonder what the movie would be like for people who have never seen the TV show.
Captain Marvel.

Meh. Maybe I'm just superhero fatigued.
Robert B. posted:
Captain Marvel.

Oh no, it was so meh.
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
Robert B. posted:
Captain Marvel.

I got super hero fatigued at the second Captain America movie.
For me it was one of the Superman reboots. Can’t remember which one. Russell Crowe was in it.
Spartacus (1960) Kirk Douglas, Jean Simmons, Charles Laughton, Lawrence Olivier, Peter Ustinov, Tony Curtis. Directed by Stanley Kubrick. Pretty good.

Those rolling flaming logs looked pretty menacing.

Not much of a movie for dialogue.

Ustinov stole his scenes.

The seduction scene between Olivier as "Crassus" and Tony Curtis' "Antoninus the slave" is a nice bit of unintended comedy. After Crassus describes his proclivity for both oysters and snails he turns around an Antoninus has left the room.
Ribtor posted:
Not much of a movie for dialogue.

If it were made today they would all have English accents.
Inglourious Basterds (2009) (on Netflix)

Entertaining enough, but felt oddly undeveloped. Not as good as Jackie Brown.
Vulture 420
Metacell posted:

Christoph Waltz was the star of that movie.
Vulture posted:
Metacell posted:

Christoph Waltz was the star of that movie.

Yeah, he was great, no doubt about it.
Lombo Opiofiend
Hobbes and Shaw. Mindless action flick. Fun to watch.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Vulture posted:
El Camino. It was ok. Walter White made an appearance. I wonder what the movie would be like for people who have never seen the TV show.

El Camino was an epilogue for the series and I would imagine pretty dull for people not Breaking Bad fans.
It was OK as a movie but mostly I enjoyed it because it answered some questions the show left open.
ukimalefu dysfunctional
Men In Black International

Pretty people, pretty aliens, pretty special effects, action, fun.

Just don't expect 2001 or Alien.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 181, 182, 183, 184, 185