What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183
Online now: Google [Bot], juice, mmaverick
My son and I are going to see Detective Pikachu tomorrow.
Finally saw Infinity War.

It's friggin long. Same reason why I'm going to wait until home release for End Game.

I wished Thanos would've brought Red Skull back with him to the Wakanda battle. It would have livened up the boring CGI bug army fight.
£830,000,000 – Nick Leeson and the Fall of the House of Barings (1996) How one trader brought down a bank run by morons.
juice Inadvertently correct
j_tso posted:
Finally saw Infinity War.

It's friggin long. Same reason why I'm going to wait until home release for End Game.

I wished Thanos would've brought Red Skull back with him to the Wakanda battle. It would have livened up the boring CGI bug army fight.

Having seen End Game in the theater, I agree with your plan.
Séamas Honorary Consul General
Weather was crap on Mother's day.

Plan was for wife and daughter to run a 5K in the morning (which they did), and then go to the New York Botanical Garden afterwards.

The light rain earlier in the day got a little heavier and the wind picked up and the temps went into the mid-40s(F), so part 2 of the day changed.

Did Netflix instead (nothing good in the theater).

The Man who Knew Too Little:
A silly, not all that great Bill Murray movie. Fun, but not something I would reccomend.

Dumb and Dumber
This was my kids' first time seeing it. They loved it, except my son get aggravated by stupid people. This is the type of movie that my wife loves--makes her laugh uncontrollably.

RV
This Robin Williams family movie was so awful we stopped watching 15 minutes in. Wooden, tired jokes, jerky kids with no charisma and no chemistry among the cast.
For a guy with his talent, name recognition and draw, Robin Williams has put out a lot of turkeys.

Mr. Mom
Thought I remember this being popular and being somewhat funny when it came out.
It did not age well at all. The funny thing was my kids recognized most of the cast.
The Secret Of My Success (1987) Michael J Fox, Helen Slater. Ambitious young man works his way up from the mail-room to an executive position through subterfuge, with shenanigans aplenty. Outrageously 80s in fashion, sensibilities and music. If a parody were made of an 80s movie today, some people might think this is a bit over the top.
Ribtor posted:
The Secret Of My Success (1987) Michael J Fox, Helen Slater. Ambitious young man works his way up from the mail-room to an executive position through subterfuge, with shenanigans aplenty. Outrageously 80s in fashion, sensibilities and music. If a parody were made of an 80s movie today, some people might think this is a bit over the top.

It might be because of my personal scope of reference having graduated High School in'85, but I always felt there was a huge difference between early 80s and late 80s --but the whole decade had an awful pop culture parody look.
Detective Pikachu was awesome! However, if you have never been a fan of Pokémon, save your money. Otherwise, it is full of cute stuff, twists and turns, and some genuinely heartwarming moments. Well worth the ticket price, with that one caveat.
Hoosiers 1986
I never saw this before, but recall if having a lot of buzz when it came out. For some reason I thought this was made earlier than '86.
It's decent enough, but definitely well-trod material. Underdog team facing challenges and tries to overcome the odds. Will they win the big game? Will they win it in the final seconds?
I won't spoil it for you.
Get Carter
Something of a classic, and regarded as one of the best films from the UK. Definitely an influence in many underworld / crime movies.
Michael Caine is noted (rightly so) for a portrayal of an ice-cold gangland killer. It took me a bit to get the idea that he wasn't cool, and he wasn't likable.
The setting is great. There is something about the UK that seems to have more grime, decay and corrosion in their bad areas than anyplace else. The row houses and tenements still have outdoor plumbing, you figure the air has a constant smell of coal and outhouses.
John Wick 3.

More of the same, but still fun.
TOS
Warin posted:
Detective Pikachu was awesome! However, if you have never been a fan of Pokémon, save your money. Otherwise, it is full of cute stuff, twists and turns, and some genuinely heartwarming moments. Well worth the ticket price, with that one caveat.

is it okay for kids, do you think? say an 8-year-old pokemon geek?
Empire Records

Didn't finish this. Painfully bad.

A bad '80s movie --but from the mid-90s.
:facepalm:

(though it was from that part of the 90s where the skits were really, really short)
TOS posted:
Warin posted:

is it okay for kids, do you think? say an 8-year-old pokemon geek?

I would think so. Probably 3/4 of the theatre were parents and kids. My inner 8 year old thought it was awesome.
TOS
good news, the boy loved it
dv
Saw Detective Pikachu. Because, well, I've been playing the damn games since forever, so I kinda had to.

It's a solid kids movie. I never liked the anime, but really liked the critter designs here and hope they make a few more "live action" ones - but without cutting the CGI or casting budgets like so often happens.
user Stupid cockwomble
I liked when Pikachu cut off his own hand and it was giving them the finger.
The Ipcress File (1965) The first of the Michael Caine Harry Palmer spy films. He Thwarts a "brain drain" of top British scientists perpetrated by evil mind-washing villains. Supposed to be of the anti-Bond series of movies. Produced by some of the same people as the early Bond films. Not bad.
Somewhere in Time

A guy in 1979 (Christopher Reeve) falls in love with a photograph of an actress from 1912 (Jane Seymour) and travels in time to be with her. Interesting concept, and I liked the setting of Mackinac Island. The set up of the two falling in love is a bit clunky, but it had to happen for the story.
user Stupid cockwomble
Oh, that's nearly always clunky. I've started to get really wasted at all of the hat-drop romances between movie principals.
TOS
j_tso posted:
Somewhere in Time

A guy in 1979 (Christopher Reeve) falls in love with a photograph of an actress from 1912 (Jane Seymour) and travels in time to be with her. Interesting concept, and I liked the setting of Mackinac Island. The set up of the two falling in love is a bit clunky, but it had to happen for the story.

i totally remember that movie
This was my first time seeing the whole thing. I saw a little of it when my mom was watching it when I was ~6 years old and was like, "hey, that's Superman", but then I thought girls were icky and lost interest.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
TOS posted:
j_tso posted:
Somewhere in Time

i totally remember that movie

So do I. It's actually a pretty good film.
j_tso posted:
This was my first time seeing the whole thing. I saw a little of it when my mom was watching it when I was ~6 years old and was like, "hey, that's Superman", but then I thought girls were icky and lost interest.

Hmm, I must have been six or seven when I saw Jane Seymour in the Sinbad movie and I thought, girls (like her) were kinda interesting.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
The Wandering Earth (2018, Netflix)

Chinese megablockbuster about the sun dying in the future threatening to destroy the Earth, so they build giant rocket thrusters around the globe to pilot the whole planet to a new solar system. But it all goes south when they get too close to Jupiter...

Basically Armageddon meets The Core meets The Day After Tomorrow meets San Andreas. It's like they took every Jerry Bruckheimer film and fed it into a computer then calculated how to crank it up to the 11th power of 11. Every cliche in the book as if exponentially self-spawned by Tribbles. There's even a 2001 HAL sequence which they turned into a macho action face-off...so now we know: What would RAMBO do in this situation?

Often as painfully ludicrous as it sounds, I can't help but love this movie with all its awful characters like the overtly chummy Vodka smuggling Russian Cosmonaut (oh Yakov Smirnoff, all is forgiven) or the rustic Australian delinquent. It's pretty much the king of all disaster movies and I have to admire its scale and chutzpah. 10/10 for style...just let your brain go for a walk.
jkahless Custom Title
Metacell posted:
The Wandering Earth (2018, Netflix)

Chinese megablockbuster about the sun dying in the future threatening to destroy the Earth, so they build giant rocket thrusters around the globe to pilot the whole planet to a new solar system. But it all goes south when they get too close to Jupiter...

Basically Armageddon meets The Core meets The Day After Tomorrow meets San Andreas. It's like they took every Jerry Bruckheimer film and fed it into a computer then calculated how to crank it up to the 11th power of 11. Every cliche in the book as if exponentially self-spawned by Tribbles. There's even a 2001 HAL sequence which they turned into a macho action face-off...so now we know: What would RAMBO do in this situation?

Often as painfully ludicrous as it sounds, I can't help but love this movie with all its awful characters like the overtly chummy Vodka smuggling Russian Cosmonaut (oh Yakov Smirnoff, all is forgiven) or the rustic Australian delinquent. It's pretty much the king of all disaster movies and I have to admire its scale and chutzpah. 10/10 for style...just let your brain go for a walk.

The Chinese films I've seen lately are fascinating examples of propaganda. Its particularly fun watching them use the same tropes American propaganda has been using since the advent of film.

I really enjoyed the great wall one, where Matt Damon plays a white man so skilled he could almost be Chinese.
The premise reminds of an old Toho film called Gorath where a small star is heading to Earth so the UN builds a rocket at the South pole to move the planet out of its way. It's a kaiju film because a giant walrus is unearthed at the rocket site and threatens the mission.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
So that's what I watched last night.
I got home and the boys were watching it; I caught about the last 40 minutes or so.
It was the ending explanation before I found out that the action was happening both on Earth and in the giant space station. They both look the same so that was confusing.
After about ten minutes of watching there was a communication from "United Earth Government". Then I thought, If this a "United Earth" mission, where are the black guys?
I just assume they were the first ones to die in the disaster ...
macnuke Afar
DukeofNuke posted:
So that's what I watched last night.
I got home and the boys were watching it; I caught about the last 40 minutes or so.
It was the ending explanation before I found out that the action was happening both on Earth and in the giant space station. They both look the same so that was confusing.
After about ten minutes of watching there was a communication from "United Earth Government". Then I thought, If this a "United Earth" mission, where are the black guys?
I just assume they were the first ones to die in the disaster ...

that would be the red shirts
Double Indemnity (1944) To make an insurance salesman into the greatest noir male lead ever is a testament to writing, direction and acting that went into this classic.

And ms Stanwyck; I can't even...
Yeah, I liked that movie, even though I spent the whole film pretending it was My Three Sons -- the prequel: stuff I'll never tell my kids.
Hail Caesar!
Though I suspect that like other Coen Bros. movies I might like this one better after seeing it a second or third time. Overall I thought it was a little flat and plot-less.

Apollo 13
I remember seeing a documentary about this mission and thought it was amazing--a little baffled that I had never heard it before (I was three at the time, and do remember moon missions and remember the Beatles splitting up--earliest memories).
I thought it would make an outstanding movie.
Then a month or so goes by and this movie came out. I suspect the producers made sure to make a documentary available to prime the audience.
Still an amazing story but not sure if this movie is really better than a good documentary on the subject.

Blues Brothers
Still never gets old. Yeah, great music, great car chases, great jokes and the best supernatural/religious movie ever made.
ukimalefu Rebel? resistance? why not both?
I've seen an Apollo 13 documentary AND the Tom Hanks movie. BOTH are awesome.

Blues Brothers 4eva!
If you like Apollo 13, be sure to watch From the Earth to the Moon by HBO. It’s a 10 part mini series on the entire Apollo program, produced by Tom Hanks. Incredible series.
TOS
there was also recently an apollo 11 documentary released on imax recently ... a truly mind-blowing experience, though i'm not sure it will be nearly as good on a smaller screen
user Stupid cockwomble
It was on a small black and white screen when I saw it already.
TOS
godzilla king of monsters

lots o' fun
Adaptation (2002) Nicholas Cage, Nicholas Cage, Meryl Streep, Chris Cooper. Directed by Spike Jonze. Funny film about a screenwriter tasked to make a script from an un-filmable book. Too meta and complex to sumarise but the cast is great. One of the "good Nick Cage movies". Recommended for film buffs. Those who liked "Being John Malkovich", and "The Player" would get a kick from it.
ukimalefu Rebel? resistance? why not both?
Captain Marvel

:up:
Godzilla king of the monsters

Ghidorah is really beautiful, stunning really.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183