What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165 ... 183
Online now: Bing (sucks), Google [Bot]
Jim & Andy: The Great Beyond (2017) A behind the scenes documentary, plus current interviews with Jim Carrey, about how he remained in character as Andy Kaufman while filming 'Man On The Moon'. Things get wrapped around themselves as the documentary filmmaker from 20 years ago was actually Andy Kaufman's girlfriend, who was played by Courtney Love. Andy Kaufman's family developed quite a bond with Jim Carrey as Andy.

Sometimes it just seems like Carrey is yanking people's chains but other times his technique seems genuine. Very much like Kaufman himself, which is the point.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
King Kong (1933)
A cinematic triumph!
It was on TCM opposite the SOTU ... not hard to decide which monkey had the more believable tale to tell.
juice Inadvertently correct
DukeofNuke posted:
King Kong (1933)
A cinematic triumph!
It was on TCM opposite the SOTU ... not hard to decide which monkey had the more believable tale to tell.

I watched the same thing. I was surprised at the quality of the effects.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Had you not seen it before?
Yeah, it was the Star Wars of it's day.
Ali (2001) Great. Believable boxing too, unlike a lot of movie boxing, real heavyweight boxers portrayed some of Ali's opponents and they were allowed to hit without faking it.

Ocean's 11 (1960) Not awful but not great. For all that actually happens, the film looks like it could have been made by the stars in their spare time. A lot of actors going through doors for some reason.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
When you get the whole Rat Pack together, the movie is just something to do between drinks and dames.
juice Inadvertently correct
DukeofNuke posted:
When you get the whole Rat Pack together, the movie is just something to do between drinks and dames.

I think the dialogue acknowledges this in a few places.
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
Ribtor posted:
Ocean's 11 (1960) Not awful but not great. For all that actually happens, the film looks like it could have been made by the stars in their spare time. A lot of actors going through doors for some reason.

We watched it a couple of weeks ago. Man, that movie take FOREVER to get going.
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
Three Little Words (1950): Red Skelton and Fred Astaire play the tin pan alley songwriting team of Harry Ruby and Burt Kalmar, who wrote classics such as I Want To Be Loved By You, Who's Sorry Now, Nevertheless, and the title track.

Light, fluffy, funny, and some great singing and dancing.

I was in a fairly dark mood for a few days, and this movie helped lighten me up a bit.
Séamas Honorary Consul General
Walk Hard - The Dewey Cox Story

Funnier than I expected (for some reason I had low expectations for it). Laughed out loud a couple times.
Pithecanthropus posted:
Three Little Words (1950): Red Skelton and Fred Astaire play the tin pan alley songwriting team of Harry Ruby and Burt Kalmar, who wrote classics such as I Want To Be Loved By You, Who's Sorry Now, Nevertheless, and the title track.

Light, fluffy, funny, and some great singing and dancing.

I was in a fairly dark mood for a few days, and this movie helped lighten me up a bit.

I likes Vera-Ellen's dancing the most.
TOS
dv posted:
TOS posted:
thor ragnarok, second viewing

still a great flick

i suspect the whole mcu is coming to an end soon, but it’s great that the movies can still be great

End why? They're just setting up for phase 3 or 4 or whatever, with new actors/characters.

As long as they keep making money...

actor contracts are ending
user Stupid cockwomble
They're getting old and tired anyway.

Except Johansson.
dv
TOS posted:
dv posted:
TOS posted:

still a great flick

i suspect the whole mcu is coming to an end soon, but it’s great that the movies can still be great

End why? They're just setting up for phase 3 or 4 or whatever, with new actors/characters.

That's what I meant by "new actors/characters."

West Coast avengers, Alpha Flight, etc. Lots of places to go and people to kill, resurrect, kill again, have a clone pretend to be them for a while, resurrect again, etc.
TOS
dv posted:
TOS posted:
dv posted:
TOS posted:

still a great flick

West Coast avengers, Alpha Flight, etc. Lots of places to go and people to kill, resurrect, kill again, have a clone pretend to be them for a while, resurrect again, etc.

i have serious doubts as to whether they can keep the momentum going
dv
TOS posted:
dv posted:
TOS posted:
dv posted:
TOS posted:

still a great flick

They have to try. Too much money's on the line.

Those dudes from Supernatural will need a job eventually.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
dv posted:
TOS posted:
dv posted:
TOS posted:

still a great flick

There's a whole slew of forgotten 70's and 80's era comics to draw from: Ms. Marvel, Cloak and Dagger, Nova, Warlock, Dazzler, Master of Kung Fu, etc. THEY WILL NEVER RUN OUT OF EASY TO ADAPT MATERIAL.

TOS posted:

How long have they been making buddy-cop/revenge-fantasy movies? Basically, until superheroes replaced them, they were the perennial staple.

Superhero movies might diversify from Marvel/DC (look at all the Manga oriented stuff coming out), but I doubt they'll end until movies crash as a whole.
Rings (2017) The third Ring movie but without Naomi Watts. Not much to recommend it.

The fascination with blending universes: Atomic Blonde vs Black Widow. They'll fight but join forces after they learn their respective dads used the same barber.

I'd like to see an Anna Karenina franchise take off. Vronsky's PTSD from battling the Serbs on behalf of the czar leads him on a journey of self discovery and he kicks ass while searching for Anna, who survived all this time and is in hiding. She eventually gives birth to a girl who grows up and becomes the grandmother of Lara Croft's butler. Anna herself might find her way to London and become involved in Sherlock Holmes adventures as she searches for her daughter.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
... gotta be a way to tie Alfred Pennyworth in ...
Séamas Honorary Consul General
Shawshank Rdemption

I think I caught the last 20 minutes of it years ago, but this is my first time seeing it in its entirety.

Not sure if it would have made a difference, but his lawyer screwed him by having him testify.

Interesting that the director claims the christian analogies are not purposeful.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
Séamas posted:
Shawshank Rdemption

I think I caught the last 20 minutes of it years ago, but this is my first time seeing it in its entirety.

Not sure if it would have made a difference, but his lawyer screwed him by having him testify.

Interesting that the director claims the christian analogies are not purposeful.

That book/movie is still on my list of favorites. One of King's better efforts.
It Came From Beneath The Sea (1955) Giant octopus terrorizes San Francisco. Not bad. I always like Ray Harryhousen's animation. Lots of 50s men run around in hats through the streets. There's an attempt at a feminist sub-plot.
Ocean's Eleven (2001) More substantial than the original.

Ocean's Twelve (2004) All style and the denouement is a total cheat. But I liked the end credit which read "And Introducing Tess as Julia Roberts".

I'm looking forward to Ocean's 8.
TOS
Metacell posted:
dv posted:
TOS posted:
dv posted:
TOS posted:

still a great flick

There's a whole slew of forgotten 70's and 80's era comics to draw from: Ms. Marvel, Cloak and Dagger, Nova, Warlock, Dazzler, Master of Kung Fu, etc. THEY WILL NEVER RUN OUT OF EASY TO ADAPT MATERIAL.

TOS posted:

How long have they been making buddy-cop/revenge-fantasy movies? Basically, until superheroes replaced them, they were the perennial staple.

Superhero movies might diversify from Marvel/DC (look at all the Manga oriented stuff coming out), but I doubt they'll end until movies crash as a whole.

see, but the business model is high-risk ... the movies have earned healthy returns but they cost a hell of a lost to make (all told, a quarter billion dollars per movie would be a very reasonable estimate, times two or three movies per year)

notice how there are far fewer mid-tier movies these days ... it's either tiny indie movies or huge-ass blockbusters, the comic book movies are sucking up the financing

i feel like a flop or two could bring the whole thing down
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
There have been tons of flops already (Green Lantern, Catwoman, Elektra, all three Punisher movies, The Shadow, Fantastic Four, Hulk, The Spirit, both versions of Judge Dredd, not to mention 80's classics like Supergirl and Howard the Duck) and it still seems full steam ahead. Maybe when they're all flops.
dv
Metacell posted:
There have been tons of flops already (Green Lantern, Catwoman, Elektra, all three Punisher movies, The Shadow, Fantastic Four, Hulk, The Spirit, both versions of Judge Dredd, not to mention 80's classics like Supergirl and Howard the Duck) and it still seems full steam ahead. Maybe when they're all flops.

Dredd (2012) isn't really a good example of TOS's concern - it was a relatively "small" movie (only cost ~$40M to make and barely broke even.) And unlike most superhero flops, it was actually a really good movie with a solid cult following. Nobody watches Ang Lee's Hulk on purpose.
user Stupid cockwomble
dv posted:
Nobody watches Ang Lee's Hulk on purpose.

That's a rather broad and inaccurate statement.
dv
user posted:
dv posted:
Nobody watches Ang Lee's Hulk on purpose.

That's a rather broad and inaccurate statement.

Sorry, I forgot about Hyperbuseyphilia. I'm truly sorry for your struggle; I hope they find a cure soon.
user Stupid cockwomble
The visuals hold up!
DukeofNuke posted:
... gotta be a way to tie Alfred Pennyworth in ...

Afred's grandfather served with Winston Churchill in the Boer War as his batman* and he had a bastard son born to a prostitute in Cairo after that war who became a notorious ancient artifact dealer named Sallah Mohammed Faisel el-Kahir who helped an obscure American professor named Dr. Henry Walton Jones Jr to do some pretty remarkable things.

*A batman is an officer's valet.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
I think Alfred's dad (Sallah's half-brother) grew up to be Churchill's bodyguard during WWII and by this time his son, Alfred, had joined the SOE carrying out clandestine operations in Occupied Europe. It was on these missions that his activities would sometimes involve a certain Steve Trevor and a mysterious female companion.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Were there any covert operations HQ'd at a remote Scottish estate called "Skyfall"?
DukeofNuke posted:
Were there any covert operations HQ'd at a remote Scottish estate called "Skyfall"?

There was an Andrew Bond of Glencoe, Scotland who lived in that ancestral castle. It was said that he had information about some top secret weaponry being developed by the Vickers Corporation hidden on the grounds. But even more mysteriously, there can be found photos of a certain Monique Delacroix of indeterminate parentage in that same castle. She was Andrew's wife. Some say she was descended from minor Russian royalty (her parentage traced to a Russian officer who went mad searching for his wife and daughter in Britain...) and some say she was descended from the Romanoffs themselves. She took on a Swiss name to conceal her origins. Remnants of the Czar's Okrana secret police, hunted down by Beria of Lenin's secret police under orders of "Schmert Spionam" (death to spies), who were said to be interested in the Vickers weaponry. They killed Andrew but Monique survived and was kidnapped, taken back to Russia and traded in exchange for the assassin's lives. She and Andrew had a son in Britain raised by an aunt. In Russia, Monique was again "married" and gave birth to a girl who was to be the foundation of a group of genetically engineered super-spies who...would................................................................................................................................................................................etc etc ad nauseum.
Not a lot of people know that the full family name of Pennyworth was actually Monet-Pennywise and after a contentious inheritance battle one branch of the family changed the spelling.
dv
You're too good at this - I suspect you secretly read and enjoy a lot more comic books and pulp fiction than you admit.
Nah.
Just seen a lot of movies that had John Rhys-Davies in them.
dv
Ribtor posted:
Nah.
Just seen a lot of movies that had John Rhys-Davies in them.

That guy never says no to a gig, does he?

th.jpg
user Stupid cockwomble
justine Elitist Beer Lover
I'm really bad at scrolling back to see if anyone posted about what i saw or whatever, especially when i've been working. So ...

Anyone see The Ritual? I watched it on my iPod so i want to rewatch it on tv. It was very dark, as in brightness, but my initial feeling was it was kinda weird and like the Wicker Man or some M Knight flick. I might have a better opinion after seeing it on a tv, though.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

What was the last movie you saw?

Page: 1 ... 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165 ... 183