VID-E-OOOOs (YouTube, Vimeo or otherwise)

Page: 1 ... 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115
Online now: Baidu [Spider], Majestic-12 [Bot]
Oops!

Demo on Russian TV of "sophisticated robot" revealed to be man in robot costume. Part of demo video at link.
maurvir Meat popsicle
maurvir posted:

CRAP!

There is a tale that was told after the Northridge (LA) quake in 1991(?). Some people were on I-5 heading south from the Tejon Pass towards LA when all the freeway lights went out along with much of the urban glow of LA in the distance. Since they were in their cars many of them were not aware that a large quake had happened because the power stayed on for some time following the quake. A car or two had stopped wondering what had happened when in their headlights they saw a huge boulder roll down from above the freeway, across it then continue down the other side. Mind you: this part of I-5 had the north- and southbound lanes built on different levels in this hilly region so "only" 4 or so lanes across.

I think they decided to stay put, posting people to warn of more falling boulders and persuading anyone else coming along to stop, using the evidence of the damage of that rolling boulder to convince MOST. They weren't going to make it much further since there was other damage to that section of I-5 that was impassable.
ukimalefu Rebel? resistance? why not both?
Pariah Know Your Enemy
The theory that a comet reset human civilization 12,000 years ago.
I am curious what the better educated members here think of this, the vid is pretty compelling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMTTFLiOwX0
Pariah posted:
The theory that a comet reset human civilization 12,000 years ago.
I am curious what the better educated members here think of this, the vid is pretty compelling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMTTFLiOwX0

First, HEE-roh-Shee-mah.

Next, read the Bad Astronomer's assessment. Do note that the current estimateS range from 12 K to 3 M years ago. This doesn't make that video maker wrong, but do recall that he accuses archeologists of being selective in their data--isn't this the same thing?

The video goes downhill from there.

No mummies found in the pyramids? He doesn't know that the pyramids were basically huge signs proclaiming "HUGE TREASURE HERE!!!" Even after the earliest pyramids were looted the current pharaoh believed "No one will loot MY pyramid!" It took MILLENNIA of looting by their own followers to convince the pharaohs to start hiding their tombs and burial goods first in selected areas--"because my children will protect MY tomb"--west of the Nile then hidden in scattered caves.

Apparently the video maker had never heard of the Rosetta Stone and how it was the BEGINNINGS of understanding Egyptian hieroglyphs and demotic script because the 3 sections--the third section was written in well-known ancient Greek--were translations of each other. Apparently the Egyptian written languages were remarkably unchaging since we can use the Rosetta Stone to make educated guesses to translate texts which are millennia older. Are those right? Of course we cannot know with certainty but many of the texts can be interpreted mostly concerned with mundane events: "Ra blessed <the pharoah> with a bountiful harvest so <the pharaoh> held a feast to honor Ra" (note: not an actual translation).

Shall I go on?
ukimalefu posted:

I probably haven't seen more than half of the movies in that, but THAT was remarkable!
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Man in car at the side of the road starts to record high-speed chase when THAT driver loses control and crashes into first car.

The videographer and his girlfriend(?) and a small child (his? hers?) were taken to a hospital with "serious but not life threatening injuries".

The speeder was not injured.
A warning to tourists to Prague to avoid small stores which can charge much more than state-mandated prices, primarily cheating non-Czech speakers.

The video maker adds at the end a list of chain markets that will not to this.
A full performance of the haka by Jason Momoa and family and friends at "Aquaman" premiere.

I really admire the little girl in the tan shirt because she was joyously committed.
Pariah posted:
Keep your shooting range clean!!

https://i.imgur.com/mewGLd9.gifv

WTF!?
arkayn Aaarrrggghhhh
DEyncourt posted:
A full performance of the haka by Jason Momoa and family and friends at "Aquaman" premiere.

I really admire the little girl in the tan shirt because she was joyously committed.

That is actually Jason's son, his daughter was in the back row.
arkayn posted:
DEyncourt posted:

That is actually Jason's son, his daughter was in the back row.

Ah, my apologies to Momoa's son. Still a joy to behold.
Commercial for Chicken Licken--a South African franchise--on a South African's discovery of a new land.

The company has already withdrawn this commercial due to complaints.

Last edited by DEyncourt on Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:07 am.

DEyncourt posted:
Commercial for Chicken Licken--a South African franchise--on a South African's discovery of a new land.

The company has already withdrawn this commercial due to complaints.

I see nothing wrong with it.
DEyncourt posted:
The ultimate discouragement for porch-package thieves.

The maker is Mark Rober, a former JPL engineer.

That was awesome.

Sends robot to Mars, says he "peaked" with a glitter/stink bomb.
There won't be a Doctor Who Christmas special this year, there will be one for new years day, but at least they made this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=066GxEbNPMw
Pariah Know Your Enemy
ukimalefu posted:
Pariah posted:

WTF!?

Apparently some unburnt gun powder blasts out with bullet and can accumulate to a dangerous degree if not cleaned up.
This is the result that can happen.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
ukimalefu posted:

I lived through the vinyl to CD process. As I mentioned before, CDs got off to a bad start because producers did not know how to mix for a CD and that soured a lot of audiophiles and audio enthusiasts on the platform.
The reason that distaste has persisted has nothing to do with the potential capibilities of CDs but that just about the time producers figured out how to properly master a CD the loudness wars began and the loudness wars have stripped the nuance out of popular music, there are no quiet parts to contrast with the louder parts of a song, it's a very flat dynamic range with does degrade the listening experience but that is not the fault of the platform, it is a choice that producers choose.
A choice that simply was not really available when mixing for vinyl.
In fact, CDs offer that opportunity for greater dynamic range than Vinyl. If you listen to CDs from boutique Jazz and classical studios you can hear that CDs can sound head and shoulders better than Vinyl.
So, today CDs are "better" but most producers do not take advantage of the greater capabilities of CDs but would rather degrade the music with very high dynamic compression which sounds like ass.
macnuke Afar
Pariah posted:
ukimalefu posted:
Pariah posted:

WTF!?

Apparently some unburnt gun powder blasts out with bullet and can accumulate to a dangerous degree if not cleaned up.

human waste departmental reloads. properly loaded rounds and you won't accumulate enough power to do that.
google home alone

I'm not saying google: "home alone". It's an ad, for the Google Assistant.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
macnuke posted:
Pariah posted:
ukimalefu posted:
Pariah posted:

WTF!?

human waste departmental reloads. properly loaded rounds and you won't accumulate enough power to do that.

Departmental reloads????
obvs precoupado
dv
Pariah posted:
macnuke posted:
Pariah posted:
ukimalefu posted:
Pariah posted:

WTF!?

Departmental reloads????

Self-reloading is cheaper if you go through a lot of rounds. Could definitely be a thing.

Although the way most police departments are run anymore, it's probably subcontracted out to the chief's nephew, paid for with federal anti-terrorism money, and it costs the department more than just buying ammo at Walmart. But that's just me being cynical.
WARNING: do NOT click this unless you are prepared to see blood and a huge, gross cyst being extracted.
"Heisei Samurai" Isao Machii uses sword to slice in half a ball pitched near him by pitching machine at 100 MPH from 30 feet away. Narration and on-screen notes in Japanese.

To be sure: a pitching machine can be set to throw the ball nearly exactly the same every time, but it looks like he was able to place the location and timing after only two pitches.

It also looks like they used tennis balls. The stitching on a baseball which is deliberately thrown without much spin on it can cause the pitch to wobble through the air unpredictably--isn't that called a screwball pitch?--such that even catchers have difficulty catching them, so I suspect that they chose to use tennis balls (though I suppose a pitching machine could be designed which added a predictable spin on a baseball).

Still impressive.
DEyncourt posted:
The ultimate discouragement for porch-package thieves.

The maker is Mark Rober, a former JPL engineer.

obvs posted:

Bummer. :(
"YouTuber admits aspects of viral homepod glitter bomb video were faked".

Rober said that every part of the bomb worked as seen, but some of the steals were faked.
So a "thief" gets some annoying glitter, but still gets four smart phones?
Is this clever? What did I miss?
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

VID-E-OOOOs (YouTube, Vimeo or otherwise)

Page: 1 ... 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115