VID-E-OOOOs (YouTube, Vimeo or otherwise)

Page: 1 ... 108, 109, 110, 111, 112
Online now: Google [Bot], iDaemon, juice, Pariah
First, the viral video.

Some people are calling that inspirational, a testimony for perseverance.

BUT "The Problem Behind a Viral Video of a Persistent Baby Bear".

Some biologists AND other video drone operators are complaining:
Quote:
The video, they say, was clearly captured by a drone. And in it, they saw the work of an irresponsible drone operator who, in trying to film the bears, drove them into a dangerous situation that almost cost the cub its life. “I found it really hard to watch,” says Sophie Gilbert, an ecologist at the University of Idaho who studies, among other things, how drones affect wildlife. “It showed a pretty stark lack of understanding from the drone operator of the effects that his actions were having on the bears.” (It wasn’t just scientists, either; several drone pilots were also dismayed by the footage.)

The only information accompanying the video says that it was captured on June 19, 2018, in the Magadan region of Russia. No one knows who shot it, which drone was used, or how close it flew. But “it doesn’t matter how far away it was, because I can tell from the bears’ behavior that it was too close,” says Clayton Lamb of the University of Alberta, who studies grizzly bears in the Canadian Rockies and uses drones to map the area where they live.

The setting of the video is already suspicious, Lamb says. With a cub that small and vulnerable, it’s very unlikely that a mother bear would opt to traverse such a steep and slippery slope. “There’s no reason a female would normally accept that risk, unless they were forced into it,” Lamb says. Throughout the video, he notes, the mother is constantly looking up at the drone and clearly bothered by its presence. At some point, the footage zooms in, probably because the drone itself was swooping closer. That, Lamb says, explains why the mother unexpectedly swats at the cub, causing it to fall. She probably read the drone’s approach as a kind of attack and was trying to push her cub away.

She may, as some biologists have suggested, have parsed it as an eagle (and indeed, the shadow of a bird of prey can be seen in the video [around 40 seconds in]). But Lamb suspects that her concern was more straightforward: A strange, loud object was closing in. “Many people think that drones are silent, like a soaring bird or a paper airplane,” he says, but at close range, they can be very loud.

[links omitted]

maurvir Outlier
A Stay at the Cozy Babblebrook Inn (ASMR)

This is the first one of these videos that actually did anything at all for me. It's also pretty nice - I like the ambience.
ukimalefu Wasn't me
maurvir Outlier
ukimalefu posted:

Holy crap, that was amazing. :up:
obvs Eating chickens is for the bourgeoisie
maurvir posted:
A Stay at the Cozy Babblebrook Inn (ASMR)

This is the first one of these videos that actually did anything at all for me. It's also pretty nice - I like the ambience.
Have you seen this?

War Is Over :: Soothing Angel [Blessing]
ukimalefu Wasn't me
maurvir Outlier
Oh no. Take it from me. Laser hair removal might hurt like a uncouth individual, but when you realize the hair is never coming back, few things compare with that.
maurvir Outlier
ukimalefu Wasn't me
maurvir posted:

there's no bad star wars

ukimalefu Wasn't me
ukimalefu Wasn't me
DEyncourt posted:

The corporate style narrator made the video feel evil. Like something out of Doom.

The video was cool, but I didn't like that voice.
ukimalefu Wasn't me
TOS
maurvir Outlier
The Aesthetic | ContraPoints
Pronouns | ContraPoints

These are interesting on a couple of levels, and yes, she does completely destroy Ben Shapiro's idiotic notion of pronouns in the second video. The first is also an excellent use of the Socratic dialog in the Youtube age. I was distressed to hear some of her own comments about herself, as they are definitely not true.
maurvir Outlier
ukimalefu Wasn't me
maurvir Outlier
maurvir Outlier
ukimalefu Wasn't me
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
Bobcat kitten gets released in Utah.

He was relocated after being caught killing chickens. The guys who released him gave him the name "Mr. Murderbritches".
dv
ukimalefu Wasn't me
ukimalefu Wasn't me
Rat videoed inside vending machine.

OK, I know a bit on the design of such vending machines. There are NO large holes that could accommodate a mouse much less a rat of this size. The doors into the storage area would prevent an animal of this size from getting in UNLESS someone went to effort to seal the rat in the collection area then bought a lot of snacks waiting until the rat managed to climb into the storage area.

This incident was at a high school in Florida.
ukimalefu Wasn't me
DEyncourt posted:
Rat videoed inside vending machine.

OK, I know a bit on the design of such vending machines. There are NO large holes that could accommodate a mouse much less a rat of this size. The doors into the storage area would prevent an animal of this size from getting in UNLESS someone went to effort to seal the rat in the collection area then bought a lot of snacks waiting until the rat managed to climb into the storage area.

This incident was at a high school in Florida.

high school?

yeah, teens would do that (and some adults too)
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Ribtor posted:

Over the years I have watched a bunch of these tyranny of choice lectures and I cannot relate to the concept at all.
Maybe I know myself better than most, maybe I know what I want better than most, maybe I am more decisive than most.
Example: I kicked Apple to the curb because they did not offer enough choice and not a single choice they offered fit my wants and needs. I now have a Dell because Dell offered a vast range of choices including choices that fit my needs.
Is it common to not know what type of salad dressing you like? You can buy a phone that doesn't do much, a mature man who walks into a clothier with no idea what kind of jeans they want is an idiot.

Know yourself, know your needs and understand your wants and more choice is always better because the more choice the more likely it is you will end up with something that is a perfect fit for you.
dv
Pariah posted:
Ribtor posted:

Over the years I have watched a bunch of these tyranny of choice lectures and I cannot relate to the concept at all.
Maybe I know myself better than most, maybe I know what I want better than most, maybe I am more decisive than most.
Example: I kicked Apple to the curb because they did not offer enough choice and not a single choice they offered fit my wants and needs. I now have a Dell because Dell offered a vast range of choices including choices that fit my needs.
Is it common to not know what type of salad dressing you like? You can buy a phone that doesn't do much, a mature man who walks into a clothier with no idea what kind of jeans they want is an idiot.

Know yourself, know your needs and understand your wants and more choice is always better because the more choice the more likely it is you will end up with something that is a perfect fit for you.

So what you're saying is that you've already limited your choices up-front. That's good.
fiddlesticks choice. That is, 'choice' as shorthand for freedom. We've made it a tyranny.
Pariah Know Your Enemy
Ribtor posted:
fiddlesticks choice. That is, 'choice' as shorthand for freedom. We've made it a tyranny.

I disagree.
I think the real problem is not choice but the false belief that something new and shiny will fill a hole in your soul and make you happier. Choice has nothing to do with that.
dv
maurvir Outlier
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

VID-E-OOOOs (YouTube, Vimeo or otherwise)

Page: 1 ... 108, 109, 110, 111, 112