[Spoiler - Enterprise Photo] Star Trek '08 - The Trailer

Online now: Google [Bot], juice
Conner Of Gallifrey
So, the trailer for the new 'trek launched last night with Cloverfield. I know there is going to be a much better version listed on the tubes sometime this weekend, but you can find a Youtube link here.

Also, huge spoiler (you were warned!):

I got all tingly watching the trailer. :D
Zapski Gaze into my eyes...
I'm so miffed at the ret-con that I may skip this one even though I'm a huge fan of TOS.
Conner Of Gallifrey
Zapski wrote:
I'm so miffed at the ret-con that I may skip this one even though I'm a huge fan of TOS.

Other then some redoing of the look (I mean really, did you expect them to keep the dumb 60's uniform and com panels?), It doesn't look to be much of a ret-con.
Malkin kick 'em in the face; taste the body
I want to boycott it. I'll probably give in and upset myself though.
Conner Of Gallifrey
Boycott? But why! :cry2:
arkayn Aaarrrggghhhh
I will go see it, I like the Star Trek movies.

Too bad we could not have James Doohan in this one as well.
Because I think it's sacrilege. They should learn to leave good things alone.
Conner Of Gallifrey
Malkin wrote:
Because I think it's sacrilege. They should learn to leave good things alone.

That is how we got DS9, so I'm not going to argue with that logic.
I know how much you love D9. And as hard as I try, while I don't dislike D9 and even think it's better than most other shows out there, it just isn't my thing. But DS9 is its own deal.

I don't think anyone else should be playing Kirk, Spock, or any of the others. :(
obvs precoupado
I thought you *liked* DS9, Conner? :brow:
Conner Of Gallifrey
matt wrote:

I <3 DS9. My remark was in regards to how Berman and Braga (the two many feel stick fiddled up 'trek in the last few years) hated DS9 so much that they left it alone... so that's why it was good.

They wanted the Dominion War to be over with in '3 to 4 episodes'. :snicker:
Conner wrote:
Zapski wrote:

Other then some redoing of the look (I mean really, did you expect them to keep the dumb 60's uniform and com panels?), It doesn't look to be much of a ret-con.

Is Captain Pike in it? Is Spock his Science Officer? Not from what I've read. So far from what I've read they have Spock and Kirk meeting at the academy, which seems unlikely given that Spock served under Pike for 11 years, and that the events of The Cage happen 13 years prior to Kirk's command.

I guess they could wedge it in somehow, but it would require them meeting at the academy, then parting ways for 13 years. Remember that at 32 years old, Kirk was they youngest person to have been assigned command of a Starship. So that would mean being 19 years old during the events of The Cage, and that's probably when he graduated. So if the Enterprise is newly constructed, Captain Pike is in command, so Kirk can be no older than 19.

That's all stuff stated clearly and distinctly in TOS episodes. Kirk served as an ensign on the Republic, was made Lieutenant on the Farragut, and then Captain of the Enterprise.

Also, they've already established in TNG, DS9, and Enterprise that the old original com panels were accurate. They had opportunities to change them on set and didn't and they looked just fine.

Actually, I stopped watching Enterprise because of all the ret-conning going on. The ship looked great, I liked the feel of the show for the most part, but they screwed with continuity too much for me.

Also, I think the series is kind of played out.
obvs precoupado
Conner wrote:
matt wrote:

I <3 DS9. My remark was in regards to how Berman and Braga (the two many feel stick fiddled up 'trek in the last few years) hated DS9 so much that they left it alone... so that's why it was good.

They wanted the Dominion War to be over with in '3 to 4 episodes'. :snicker:
It's good that they didn't get what they wanted. DS9 was the only Star Trek in which I was interested enough to watch as it aired.
Conner Of Gallifrey
Zapski wrote:
Conner wrote:
Zapski wrote:

Is Captain Pike in it? Is Spock his Science Officer? Not from what I've read. So far from what I've read they have Spock and Kirk meeting at the academy, which seems unlikely given that Spock served under Pike for 11 years, and that the events of The Cage happen 13 years prior to Kirk's command.

I guess they could wedge it in somehow, but it would require them meeting at the academy, then parting ways for 13 years. Remember that at 32 years old, Kirk was they youngest person to have been assigned command of a Starship. So that would mean being 19 years old during the events of The Cage, and that's probably when he graduated. So if the Enterprise is newly constructed, Captain Pike is in command, so Kirk can be no older than 19.

That's all stuff stated clearly and distinctly in TOS episodes. Kirk served as an ensign on the Republic, was made Lieutenant on the Farragut, and then Captain of the Enterprise.

Also, they've already established in TNG, DS9, and Enterprise that the old original com panels were accurate. They had opportunities to change them on set and didn't and they looked just fine.

Actually, I stopped watching Enterprise because of all the ret-conning going on. The ship looked great, I liked the feel of the show for the most part, but they screwed with continuity too much for me.

Also, I think the series is kind of played out.

Having never been a fan of TOS, any minor changes are fine with me.
Don't fiddlesticks with a good thing, I says. Should be left alone.
Conner Of Gallifrey
Hey now, for every awful remake you get a real gem (BSG anyone?).
OK, I'll give you BSG, but that still don't change my feelings about TOS. I grew up with it when it was the only serious science-fiction show in town.

Oh well, I'll probably see it, just out of curiosity. It's going to have to be really fantastic to win me over.
Conner Of Gallifrey
What are your thoughts on the remastered TOS?
I haven't actually seen them. I'm interested in them mostly because they don't change the story, only the exterior space shots, but I don't really have a problem with the old effects. To me computer generated always looks less real than models.

I don't judge stories by their special effects.

Glitzing it up for people who would be distracted by older effects seems like they're targeting it at a more casual viewer. Which is to say that people who aren't really paying attention to the stories will get more out of it, but people who are actually watching the story closely wouldn't even notice most of the time. Besides, they did a great job for the 1960's and no real budget.
user Stupid cockwomble
Is T'Pol in this one too?
Dan Airman Dan
Zapski wrote:
I haven't actually seen them. I'm interested in them mostly because they don't change the story, only the exterior space shots, but I don't really have a problem with the old effects. To me computer generated always looks less real than models.

I don't judge stories by their special effects.

Glitzing it up for people who would be distracted by older effects seems like they're targeting it at a more casual viewer. Which is to say that people who aren't really paying attention to the stories will get more out of it, but people who are actually watching the story closely wouldn't even notice most of the time. Besides, they did a great job for the 1960's and no real budget.

You might feel this way because you grew up with the crappier effects of TOS. I have no problems with using models (Star Trek Generations used models and looked excellent) but the cheesy effects of TOS for me really detract from the stories. Not that the stories were all that good either.

But the fact that watching TOS is so obviously an anachronism makes it incredibly difficult for me to suspend my disbelief. I'm supposed to be watching a show set in the future, but all I can see is That 70's Show.

I do, however, love the TOS movies, because, with the exception of V (78 decks? TNG sets? WTF?) they actually had the budget to make those look good enough to fit into the story without standing out like a sore thumb.
Get born in 1968 and tell me the difference. My generation is in control of the country right now, so human waste off. ;)

(in the most friendly way, of course)
user Stupid cockwomble
68?

Youngster.
heh.

It's only an opinion anyway. Not really important.
spike attempting to look on the bright side
Dan Airman Dan
Zapski wrote:
heh.

It's only an opinion anyway. Not really important.

Of course your opinion's not important. Mine is. We've already established this.
Zapski's opinion is always important. And quivering.
Conner Of Gallifrey
The trailer is on the official site now.
ukimalefu Rebel? resistance? why not both?
I don't get excited about Star Trek like I used to ... I'll just say that my only hope for this movie is that it doesn't suck.

As for JJ Abrams being involved, I think that's a good thing ... the previous crew of actors and producers was so goddamned tapped out it was embarrassing. So if it's to continue it has to be with new people all round.
Jehannum 2 people shy of a threesome
Banned User(s)
TOS was the only star trek worth the effort.
moff moff Super Happy Fun Time
NERDS!!!

sorry that just slipped out...
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

[Spoiler - Enterprise Photo] Star Trek '08 - The Trailer