I’m changing my mind on Deanna Troi

Online now: Google [Bot], j_tso
jkahless Custom Title
She may not have had a lot to do, but she played a crucial role in the heart of what TNG was.

I’m rewatching, and finding so much of the magic I recognized from childhood, with a whole lot more beneath the surface than I got before. If you take TNG as a series of sci fi sketches, where continuity and perfection are secondary to exploring ideas, even the terrible episodes like the one with the Pakleds in the first season are fascinating. Hell, I even enjoy the cringiness as they tried to force different forms of story into the sci fi realm like when they tried farce.

Anyways, back to my point.

I find her simply reminding the bridge crew of the emotional state and emotional impact of a situation, even obvious ones, often altered their actions, or how those actions were conducted. When this was handled well, it was a surprisingly advanced display of preemptive mental health concerns guiding operations. Very cool.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
I always liked her and I always liked the funny episodes with her and her mom.
jkahless Custom Title
It amazes me that someone with an image of the future as idealistic as Gene Roddenberry was as sexist and disgusting as he was.
Oh come on, he was a horny romantic.

I don't think it was his idea for Kirk to bang a different woman in every episode, I think that was the network's insistence.
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
I bet it was Shatner’s suggestion.
jkahless Custom Title
Metacell posted:
Oh come on, he was a horny romantic.

I don't think it was his idea for Kirk to bang a different woman in every episode, I think that was the network's insistence.

Apparently he was a lecherous sexist hump backstage. Wandering hands and the full bit. It makes the overt sexual positivity of early TNG kinda creepy.
People don't often match their ideals.
Robert B. posted:
I bet it was Shatner’s suggestion.

Shatner himself said he hated it and thought it was ridiculous.
dv
jkahless posted:
It amazes me that someone with an image of the future as idealistic as Gene Roddenberry was as sexist and disgusting as he was.

I don't think it was as much that as it was his reliance on established (cliched) storytelling tropes from Westerns.
juice Inadvertently correct
Not to mention societal mores of the time.
jkahless Custom Title
This is more based on stories of him groping cast members and sexually propositioning them.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

I’m changing my mind on Deanna Troi