The war between studios and theaters

Online now: DukeofNuke, Google [Bot], ukimalefu, Warin
ukimalefu Canadized
AMC Theaters will no longer play Universal movies after Trolls World Tour’s on-demand success

(Really? trolls world tour? success? ok, but that's not the topic)

Quote:
AMC Theatres will no longer play Universal films effective immediately after “unacceptable” comments were made from NBCUniversal CEO Jeff Shell on its decision to bypass a traditional theatrical release for Trolls World Tour and make it a digital exclusive, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

Quote:
Shell noted that as “soon as theaters reopen, we expect to release movies on both formats,” meaning some movies would continue with theatrical releases while others would go directly to digital retailers or possibly land on NBCUniversal’s new streaming service, Peacock. The move led to a lengthy statement from AMC Theatres chair-CEO Adam Aron, who claimed that Shell’s comments were “unacceptable.”

I think theaters will lose. Going to the movies used to be a cool experience.

Theaters always complained about how movies were so expensive for them and that's why they sold expensive popcorn and candy. But I never saw anything done about that. I know, maybe because most movie goers kept paying for the expensive stuff?
...and how do they expect to win this fight during the middle of a pandemic?
ukimalefu Canadized
Well, the studios seem to want to keep streaming new movies even after quarantine is over and that's what theaters don't want, they want to get new releases first, as they always had.
Maybe the new normal will be industries designated as "non essential" fighting over that last dollar and litigating in courts and with legislatures to re-define "essential".
jkahless Custom Title
Imagine, theatre having to compete based on the experience they provide and not their exclusive market for new releases.
obvs To hell with toilet paper. I own a bidet
There is no way for AMC to win this. People like doing to movies sometimes, sure, but in general, they'll prefer to watch from home.
TOS
all the theatre chains are in rough shape, but amc's journey to financial ruin is quite fascinating as it involves crooked chinese funds and high-profile corruption scandals
macnuke Afar
going to the movies.... cheap..

buying some stick fiddling popcorn candy and a coke? take out a stick fiddling loan.

fuckem.. theaters usually stink pretty bad anyway.
Regal joins the fight!

I'm pretty sure movie theatre companies are just shooting themselves in the foot and assuming things will be business as usual pretty soon. Trump plans to end lockdowns, sure, but the are likely to restart as soon as the death toll jumps up again.

Producers have the choice of waiting and watching their reserves dry up, or jump into streaming and be basically business as usual for themselves. the death of theatres won't take down producers with it.
macnuke Afar
with the stay at home human waste.. my bet is people learned to stream most of what they want.
going to the movies is going to go away, it will never be packed theaters again.
hollywood stars are going to on demand and streaming.
my only wish is that the kardashians die in the process.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
Maybe theaters should consider booking locally produced plays and music acts. Hah!
ukimalefu Canadized
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

The war between studios and theaters