Switched-On Bach by Wendy Carlos

Online now: Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot]
ukimalefu dysfunctional
https://archive.org/details/switched-on ... No.+29.mp3

Quote:
Presenting the 1968 album, "Switched-On Bach" by Wendy Carlos (originally published under her birth name, Walter Carlos). These are electronic realizations of well-known works by J.S. Bach under the public domain. Currently it seems that this seminal album is not available anywhere save for used vinyl vendors, so I have uploaded the work here for posterity's sake.

Without this album, the Moog synthesizer likely would not have reached such popularity. By performing these well-known keyboard classics by J. S. Bach on one of the original Moogs, Carlos dramatically transformed the views of the general public toward the instrument and its musical potential. “Switched-On Bach" was the first classical album to go platinum in America, remaining at No 1 in the classical album charts for more than three years (peaking at No 10 in the pop charts). The album won three Grammys, bringing synthesizers out of electronics laboratories and into the musical mainstream.

Pithecanthropus Roast Master
Little known trivia:

Because Moog synthesizers of that era were impossible to tune across more than a few notes (they'd go sharp or flat on either end of a scale), Carlos had to record each note on a separate pass. All the Cs on one pass, all the F#s on another, and so on. It took months to record the album.
TOS
Pithecanthropus posted:
Little known trivia:

Because Moog synthesizers of that era were impossible to tune across more than a few notes (they'd go sharp or flat on either end of a scale), Carlos had to record each note on a separate pass. All the Cs on one pass, all the F#s on another, and so on. It took months to record the album.

that

is

frigging

insane
I scanned my copy. The back of the album has an essay.

I hope it's readable.
dv
I take issue with the "not available anywhere." It's available as an MP3 from Amazon, and also was issued on CD and is available (used) that way.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Switched-On Bach by Wendy Carlos