Star Trek: Picard

Page: 1, 2
Online now: Bing (sucks), Google [Bot], juice, Majestic-12 [Bot], MSN [Bot], Pariah, ukimalefu, Vulture
ukimalefu posted:
Metacell posted:
ukimalefu posted:
Metacell posted:
ukimalefu posted:
Ribtor posted:
Vulture posted:
and it's hard to understand why different Romulans have regional Earth UK accents in the 24th century,

That's how we know who the bad guys are.

It's not the romulans, it's the universal translator

:D ;) :p

Yeah, it translates according to your own personal prejudices. Bigot.

wut?

No, I wasn't calling you a bigot! :heh:
I was replying to the original question, as a joke. Like, for people who hated Russians, all the bad aliens would sound like Russians to them. Then there are those embarrassing moments where the universal translator malfunctions and everybody can hear your prejudices out loud.

Oh, ok.

But it could be an interesting plot device, when the guy that "sounds like" a bad guy, ends up being a good guy. (or maybe that's not interesting, but just a cliche)

Like the hot Romulan? That would be nice but he seems pretty evil.
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
Dude, the ONLY time it is appropriate to call a Romulan, regardless of sex, "hot" is when their ship is on fire. They are the prototypical evil race for crying out loud.
Thays discrimination. Picard's staff seem nice enough.

But I find it intriguing that the Borg ship had a systematic breakdown after assimilating a ship full of Romulans. The Borg have assimilated man many different species without issues, so why not this one? The only other time I've seen a failed assimilation was with Commander Data (and a customized plague but that is unlikely to be relevant). I suspect that the Romulans are so scared of other synthetics because others would recognize their artificialness, like when Data recognized that his own mother was replaced by an android duplicate due to her eyeblinks using the same rng as his.
Lombo Opiofiend
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
The Romulans and Vulcans have shared ancestry.
juice Inadvertently correct
And T’Pol is hot
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle

Ok, so she is the exception that makes the rule...
And how about the Romulan Commander Spock secretly REALLY wanted?
Vulture 420
Saw the third episode, still a steaming pile of $hit but worth watching while eating breakfast. That AI scientist is definitely having sex with that pilot.
The AI Scientist is likely working for or replaced by an agent of Chief of Security Oh. There's a big gap between Oh "Asking her questions" and her showing up just in time to shoot the last assassin with one of their own guns.

Doesn't mean that pilot sex is off the menu, but he has the emergency holograms to keep him company.
Vulture 420
Betonhaus posted:
The AI Scientist is likely working for or replaced by an agent of Chief of Security Oh. There's a big gap between Oh "Asking her questions" and her showing up just in time to shoot the last assassin with one of their own guns.

Doesn't mean that pilot sex is off the menu, but he has the emergency holograms to keep him company.

She'll be blowing him in a dark corner somewhere the first chance she gets.
Vulture posted:
Betonhaus posted:

She'll be blowing him in a dark corner somewhere the first chance she gets.

Only because he's easily manipulated.
squeeeeeeeeeee 7 of 9
Vulture 420
Oh man, I have to watch the new episode from yesterday.
It's a detour, basically just establishes Picard is kind of a dick.
I'm a little confused though... In this series they claim that there has never been a true synth since Data and they need to pick his brain to make new ones, does that mean holograms don't count? Voyager's EMH seemed like a fully fleshed out person (but needed future tech to last outside of a room with projectors), and Rios' ship is full of holograms that look like him. Couldn't they just link a synth to a hologram's computer?

And I'm starting to suspect that either the writing actually is a little wasteful or they are setting up multiple storylines for future seasons, which is still a bit wasteful as they could've pretended that things got resolved then revisited them later.
EMH - That's my TLA (three-letter-acronym) 90's alternopostpunk band name.

It's up to you to be jaded. Personally, I'm loving it. Loving the Romulans-turned-post-war-refugee-idological extremist examination of human nature.
It does seem that when Picard gave star fleet his ultimatum he put his pride on the line and was shocked and deeply hurt when he realized he lost his identity. Yes he mightve still been able to assist the relocated Romulans but he saw himself as no longer star fleet and didn't have their resources.
TOS
Betonhaus posted:
I'm a little confused though... In this series they claim that there has never been a true synth since Data and they need to pick his brain to make new ones, does that mean holograms don't count? Voyager's EMH seemed like a fully fleshed out person (but needed future tech to last outside of a room with projectors), and Rios' ship is full of holograms that look like him. Couldn't they just link a synth to a hologram's computer?

And I'm starting to suspect that either the writing actually is a little wasteful or they are setting up multiple storylines for future seasons, which is still a bit wasteful as they could've pretended that things got resolved then revisited them later.

it's a mistake to connect this show to star trek lore, they're assuming the average viewer hasn't seen, doesn't care about or doesn't remember the previous series

just enjoy the ride and don't ask questions
... Rios is literally surrounded by holograms that seem fully aware, or at least more functional then the pale faces synths. Even taking Voyager out of the equation there lots of lore just in this series.
ST: Picard has been picked up for a second season.

-----

Taking advantage of my new Apple toys, I just now signed up for a free year of Apple TV+. Unfortunately EVERYTHING involved with Apple TV+ uses that "your first taste is free" model including Apple TV+ itself. Yes, I do get a free year but AFTER which it will cost me $4.99/month. Without such a large Apple purchase Apple TV+ is the first 7 days free then $4.99/month.

The connection to ST: Picard is that CBS All Access there does the same thing: free for 7 days and then $9.99/month.

In my general look-around that only thing I had found being offered for "free" on Apple TV+ has been the Carpool Karaoke channel. BTW: the episode with Sophie Turner and Maisie Williams driving around Austin during the 2017 SXSW is adorable.

I guess I could gird up to prepare myself for an onslaught of binge-watching ST: Picard and ST: Discovery during that 7-day period, but I find that I AM generally turned off just by that prospect of binge-watching (which I literally have never done). I like to give MOST episodes some mulling-over time.

So maybe not.
We just pay for a couple months then cancel when we've watched all the current shows we want to see. Then maybe we'll try Disney for a month or two.
If your going to dance around ways and means of paying the least for TV shows, why not just download what you want and be done with it?
Ribtor posted:
If your going to dance around ways and means of paying the least for TV shows, why not just download what you want and be done with it?

The veneer of legality?
Ribtor posted:

If it was just me, I would. But mom is a TV addict and she ain't down for it. And she watches tons of crap every day, so the dollar value is worth it for her. But if the channel only has one or two shows we want to watch, there's no point in keeping it until the next season is out.
OR I could use the route that a friend of mine has selected: he uses VPN to "identify" his location as being in the UK where the entire season of ST: Picard is being offered all at once instead of a new episode per week that CBS All Access has been doing in the US.
Yori Program
DEyncourt posted:
OR I could use the route that a friend of mine has selected: he uses VPN to "identify" his location as being in the UK where the entire season of ST: Picard is being offered all at once instead of a new episode per week that CBS All Access has been doing in the US.

Where? Picard is an episode a week on Prime here.
Vulture 420
Betonhaus posted:

The simple answer is, yes holograms don't count. Unless I'm misunderstanding the holograms, they are not, and are never meant to be, fully diverse individuals in any way, but rather very specifically defined sections of distinct roles of seemingly human behavior. Even if there was one hologram that encompassed all roles into one manifestation, it would still be defined as a sum of distinct roles stitched together into one "person" hologram.

From what seems to be told in this story, the synths have two distinct differences from these holograms, one in that that they are discreet physical entities with no help from the outside (like a wireless hive database similar to current cloud tech or the Borg), so they seem to resemble the human concept of individuality and uniqueness, as each human is unique but synths are not going to be unique and resemble either copies of one template synth being or a facsimile of an actual human as was the case of Data.

Second, and the more sublime difference is that the synths have to actually move in physical space in convincing manners as to be convincing as a fully biological being. Data nicely walked that line of looking human for moments while for other moments being obviously an android, and then being able to have another moment of looking almost human. Data's almost human but clearly android state of being was what made him so exciting as a character, and the more time people spent with him, that entire character trait of how he navigated being almost human made him a unique being in the eyes of his crew members and friends like Picard.

They made a huge point to show that the worker synths that went bad on Mars were totally creepy and weird, and they all looked the same, like they were in some 80s synthwave band with bald heads and jumpsuits with no inner conscience.

All this almost obvious talk of what is and what isn't about synths and droids does lead to the questions the show is deliberately not answering so that we still have a show for quite a while, yet hinting at when the two Romulan spy siblings creepily taunt each other just shy of having sex with each other in some weirdo late night soap opera vibe and say things like "we need to find where the rest of them are" or whatever the hell they said about their mission to seek out these synths that have yet to be "activated". That whole "activation" thing is a main concept of this whole damn show.
Yori posted:
DEyncourt posted:

Where? Picard is an episode a week on Prime here.

Sorry, I know that he does use his VPN to stop the BBC from preventing his viewing some of its programming, but I did not ask where he VPNs to get those episodes of ST: Picard.

I'll ask.
The series hasn't hit tpb in its entirety so I doubt anyone has the complete series already.
:shrug: Nevertheless my friend has seen the entire first season.
Ask him for surprised details for the next one on Freecloud then. Or the exact steps to follow and a link to a torrent.
Vulture 420
Betonhaus posted:
Ask him for surprised details for the next one on Freecloud then. Or the exact steps to follow and a link to a torrent.

I agree, if we can binge this human waste already, we should do it. If we can't, then we're just back as we were.

DEyncourt posted:
:shrug: Nevertheless my friend has seen the entire first season.

I highly doubt this, as there would be torrents available for all episodes, wouldn't there? In my cursory view based on how I watch these episodes, I see no such thing.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Star Trek: Picard

Page: 1, 2