Star Trek: Picard

Page: 1, 2, 3
Online now: DEyncourt, DukeofNuke, Majestic-12 [Bot]
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/10/ ... ek-picard/

Holy crap, now I'm cautiously optimistic that this series isn't going to suck. :up:
"Picard" will have a significant advantage over the current Trek movies: character history. If a TNG fan watched all 7 seasons of TNG, that is a LOT of history for the writers to draw upon. In the new trailer in the linked article there are a lot of automatic "aww"s and "ooh"s (though some "wait...who is THAT?"s).

Unfortunately for the current crop of Trek movies, character history is part of their PROBLEM. Everyone involved in those movies have to draw upon TOS for relationships (except for Uhura-Spock which has significantly altered). This has put the writers for those movies in a tough bind because, of course, the new actors are not those old actors. I'm sure that there have been countless instances where the director had called "cut" then said "Well, that's not how Kirk/Spock/McCoy/Scotty/Uhura/etc. would have handled that. Could you try that again...wait, check this out in THIS episode from TOS...see the difference?" partly because they are catering to all of those Trek fans who have grown up watching TOS in syndication (and probably left at least some of the actors thinking "Then why did you hire me?").

Perhaps it would have been better if producers of the new Trek movies had simply said "We have a universe that has been altered from TOS, so let's make up a new ship and crew so the cast can create their own characters" but that would have lost a lot of nostalgia for TOS.

On the other hand, that idea seems to have worked for The Orville.
TOS
i'm a little concerned that it got developed so quickly, but it does look pretty damn awesome
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
At least it will take place in the future and not the future's alternate past!
I think public knowledge of development is a recent thing, but I would bet that it’s been in development behind the scenes for a lot longer.

I can’t wait!
While this particular preview video was released earlier this week, "Picard" was announced first in August 2018.

It is set to start being shown on CBS' All Access channel--so, yes, you must be a subscriber to watch this--in January 2020.
Vulture 420
Damn Riker really let himself go. And Data got old (obsolete?).
macnuke Afar
Vulture posted:
And Data got old (obsolete?).

still a few G5's running around today.
juice Inadvertently correct
Wake me when I don’t have to subscribe to yet another streaming service to see it.
ukimalefu Canadized
I just saw an image online... it may have spoiled the show... a bit... for me anyway... It may have been from a trailer, I don't know, I try to avoid trailers. I prefer to go in knowing nothing...

Apparently, the Picard show will have Brent Spiner as B4. That is all.

Again, all I saw was an image, no links, no explanation.

Here, have some more ellipses...
For a limited time you can watch the first episode of "Star Trek: Picard" here.

At the time I saw it, this was ad-free.
Lombo Opiofiend
Video is not available :sad:
I downloaded it from Youtube, since the Internet connection at my in-laws is terrible. The first couple of minutes look promising, though.
It's...OK, about the level of an average TNG episode though with a MUCH bigger SFX budget. I do have some questions...which I won't get into because spoilers.

There is a rumor that CBS may do something similar (at least within the US) with episode 2.
Episode 1 is free on AppleTV for now. I watched it, it was ok.
I figured out how to stream from my computer to my Roku so I'll be watching it tonight with my parents.
It wasn't bad, but it also wasn't "great". It felt like one of the better TNG episodes, though as others have pointed out, the production quality is much, much higher.

Not good enough to buy in to CBS All Access, unfortunately.
It's good enough to torrent though. I love the mystery and the storytelling so far.

But if the big secret is "Romulans were synthetically created" I'll be annoyed that I guessed at that.
Betonhaus posted:
It's good enough to torrent though. I love the mystery and the storytelling so far.

But if the big secret is "Romulans were synthetically created" I'll be annoyed that I guessed at that.

I really doubt that. My guess is that the Romulans want to recreate the synths in an effort to recreate their military.
Lombo Opiofiend
TOS
it's not bad, not awesome, but watchable

on par with discovery, i'd say

and like discovery it's important to see it as its own thing with little to no relation to established star trek lore or values
maurvir posted:
Betonhaus posted:

I really doubt that. My guess is that the Romulans want to recreate the synths in an effort to recreate their military.

That doesn't explain why they have a secret so secret that that have a practically mythical secret organization keeping it, or their claimed absolute hatred of synths.

My theory is either that Romulans are synthetically created and that would be discovered by synth reaserch, or something else that we won't see coming.
Vulture 420
Although it looks cheap when they have to employ special effects, the writing is a bit clunky at times, and it's hard to understand why different Romulans have regional Earth UK accents in the 24th century, I still found it enjoyable as they pushed the story forward to wherever they are slowly revealing the big secret to be revealed about these plans to apprehend this synthetic.

I did think at one point how this show would be very inspirational to very old people who need to get out of the house more and do things the way Picard does, and I also find myself being reminded of Picard on American Dad when some of his acting sounds just like one of his comedic voiceovers. Kinda wish I could binge the show like I did Discovery, and I forgot how awesome Romulans are as the hated race of people with roots in some ancient cabal, like the Jews of Space.

I find some of the futuristic storytelling funny, like "Quantum Consciousness" as a field of study in the girl's school. The technology to "scrub" or wipe clean physical matter of any evidence of crimes or occurrences was intriguing also, treating physical reality as if it were just a GUI in a computer operating system, which shows a sci-fi bias toward the possibility that Donald Hoffman's FBT Theory is more correct than incorrect for the advancement of science in the next few hundred years.

It's troubling to think that Picard is still limited physically by what seem to be 20th century limitations of aging and health, unless maybe we find out later somehow that he is actually almost 200 years old (I'm sure he's not). I do like that they have Picard accessing his subconscious mind often through dreaming to "accidentally" discover things by connecting dots he would ordinarily miss or to drive his impulses that are important to him in a sense of wisdom.
To be honest, I was very interested right up until the end. I was hoping this would be more of a slow-burn show in the beginning, but it's shaping up to be more of an action series, and I just don't see how that is going to work well.
The opening credits remind me of DeGrasse's "Cosmos".
TOS posted:
and like discovery it's important to see it as its own thing with little to no relation to established star trek lore or values

Au contraire, this is is the first Star Trek since Voyager to take place in the first established Star Trek continuous future timeline without any franchise prequelitis revisioning.
Vulture posted:
and it's hard to understand why different Romulans have regional Earth UK accents in the 24th century,

That's how we know who the bad guys are.
ukimalefu Canadized
Ribtor posted:
Vulture posted:
and it's hard to understand why different Romulans have regional Earth UK accents in the 24th century,

It's not the romulans, it's the universal translator

:D ;) :p
ukimalefu posted:
Ribtor posted:
Vulture posted:

Yeah, it translates according to your own personal prejudices. Bigot.
ukimalefu posted:
Ribtor posted:
Vulture posted:

You'd think that those two would learn English (and French) by now.
Lombo Opiofiend
French is supposedly an archaic language in 2399
ukimalefu Canadized
Metacell posted:
ukimalefu posted:
Ribtor posted:
Vulture posted:

wut?
Lombo posted:
French is supposedly an archaic language in 2399

Which makes sense, since it is an archaic language in 2020... :trollface:
ukimalefu Canadized
Lombo Opiofiend
Manges moi le cul, Maurvir ! :tongue in cheek: wink
Lombo posted:
Manges moi le cul, Maurvir ! :tongue in cheek: wink

Tongue in cheek, indeed. :lol:
ukimalefu posted:
Metacell posted:
ukimalefu posted:
Ribtor posted:
Vulture posted:

wut?

No, I wasn't calling you a bigot! :heh:
I was replying to the original question, as a joke. Like, for people who hated Russians, all the bad aliens would sound like Russians to them. Then there are those embarrassing moments where the universal translator malfunctions and everybody can hear your prejudices out loud.
ukimalefu Canadized
Metacell posted:
ukimalefu posted:
Metacell posted:
ukimalefu posted:
Ribtor posted:
Vulture posted:

wut?

I was replying to the original question, as a joke. Like, for people who hated Russians, all the bad aliens would sound like Russians to them. Then there are those embarrassing moments where the universal translator malfunctions and everybody can hear your prejudices out loud.

Oh, ok.

But it could be an interesting plot device, when the guy that "sounds like" a bad guy, ends up being a good guy. (or maybe that's not interesting, but just a cliche)

Last edited by ukimalefu on Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:02 pm.

ukimalefu Canadized
ukimalefu posted:
Metacell posted:
ukimalefu posted:
Metacell posted:
ukimalefu posted:
Ribtor posted:
Vulture posted:

wut?

Oh, ok.

But it could be an interesting plot device, when the guy that "sounds like" a bad guy, end ups being a good guy. (or maybe that's not interesting, but just a cliche)

I think it could make for a good comedy episode, at any rate!
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Star Trek: Picard

Page: 1, 2, 3