begun, the streaming wars have

Online now: Google [Bot], Kirk, maurvir
TOS
the l.a. times provides a thorough breakdown of the many players in the streaming world

just a recap:

- disney ($7 per month, $70 per year)
- netflix ($8.99 - $13.99 per month)
- nbc (cost unknown)
- warners/hbo (between $16 & $17 per month)
- cbs ($5.99 - $9.99 per month)
- apple ($4.99 per month)
- amazon prime (included with membership - $12.99 per month, $119 per year)

so ... what are your predictions?
maurvir Steamed meat popsicle
Disney, Netflix, Apple, and Amazon. Mostly because AT&T is working overtime to make HBO suck, and NBC/CBS don't have enough content to make a standalone service worth it. That said, I suspect most people will binge the remaining networks, splitting the revenue between them.
I have Prime video, my parents have Netflix, Disney is a maybe as they have a lot of good shows, and if anything else has a good show I'll get it through other means.
macnuke Afar
have Prime.... Have Netflix..... have Kodi.

I'm covered for virtually anything. :up:
ukimalefu dysfunctional
I have Transmission. But that isn't really streaming, so I guess I have youtube.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
Just internet youtube or Youtube TV?
ukimalefu dysfunctional
Metacell posted:
Just internet youtube or Youtube TV?

Just regular, free, internet youtube.
Séamas Honorary Consul General
We've had Netflix for about 4-5 years now.

I've liked it less and less over time. Some of the original programming is excellent. But my main reason for signing up for it initially was for movies, especially classics. They seem to be getting more and more stingy with those lately.
Wait, I thought we were talking about which services would survive. I don't subscribe to any of them. Frankly, if it weren't for my wife, I probably wouldn't watch TV at all.
Séamas posted:

I've liked it less and less over time. Some of the original programming is excellent. But my main reason for signing up for it initially was for movies, especially classics. They seem to be getting more and more stingy with those lately.

What's happened is that when Netflix was the only streaming service, most of the studios were licensing their catalog to them, but now more and more want to restrict it to their own streaming services.
Donkey Butter jerk face
I have netflix and prime and may try out apple's thing when it's available (but only because it will be free when I buy my iPad Pro next year).

I have no plans to sign up for disney or any of those other services and can't wait for them all to go bust so their content ends up back on netflix.
Metacell posted:
Séamas posted:

What's happened is that when Netflix was the only streaming service, most of the studios were licensing their catalog to them, but now more and more want to restrict it to their own streaming services.

What is it about the movie and music industries that attracts so many complete morons into management?
maurvir posted:
Metacell posted:
Séamas posted:

What is it about the movie and music industries that attracts so many complete morons into management?

Their inability to make it anywhere else?
:shrug:
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
It's not just movies and music ...
DukeofNuke posted:

True, but entertainment executives really take the stupid to the next level compared to most C-level execs.
dv
maurvir posted:
DukeofNuke posted:

True, but entertainment executives really take the stupid to the next level compared to most C-level execs.

"Never leave money on the table."

They'd cut off their own arms if you convinced them they'd make more money that way.
juice Inadvertently correct
“Return on investment”
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

begun, the streaming wars have