So I caved and bought a Kindle

Online now: Bing (sucks), juice
I was looking at the price I was paying for physical books sometimes, and at my overflowing shelves. I'm considering purging some of my collection hut I have a few complete series that I loathe to give up. It asked me to register and account for good reads? Anyone use that service?
justine Elitist Beer Lover
I have 2 Kindles. Sign up on BookBub! Lotsa free books!
user Stupid cockwomble
I've got so many bookbub books my phone is running out of space.
arkayn Aaarrrggghhhh
I have a Kindle Fire, but I currently read books on my tablet.
user posted:
I've got so many bookbub books my phone is running out of space.

I had to stop looking at the emails! I found so many good ones, tho!
I found an intriguing gay romance fantasy I'm working my way through now. I loaded up on scifi otherwise
maurvir Meat popsicle
Betonhaus posted:
I found an intriguing gay romance fantasy I'm working my way through now. I loaded up on scifi otherwise

It doesn't feature a certain vice president, does it? :paranoid: :lol:
"Hexbreaker (Hexworld Book 1)" by Jordan L. Hawk.

Start reading it for free: http://a.co/0vCcsuT

Oh... It's good. It's nice to read something that doesn't focus on the wrong equipment. I should find more.
Séamas Honorary Consul General
We have a couple Kindles (Fire) in the house, I like them for the price.

The only books I have on it are a variety of field guides, which is great for hiking, etc.
I actually like my 'i dunno what name' Kindle better than my Fire. I think it was the last version to come with a keyboard. The battery didn't run down so fast and it was more like reading a book. I'm thinking about trading my Fire in for a Paperwhite.
arkayn Aaarrrggghhhh
justine posted:
I actually like my 'i dunno what name' Kindle better than my Fire. I think it was the last version to come with a keyboard. The battery didn't run down so fast and it was more like reading a book. I'm thinking about trading my Fire in for a Paperwhite.

I actually find that my tablet runs much longer than the Fire, and the lighting is much better as well.
dv
arkayn posted:
justine posted:

I actually find that my tablet runs much longer than the Fire, and the lighting is much better as well.

The Fire is a very "value oriented" tablet. Always was. That's why they can sell a three-pack of them for $110.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073HWKLP7/re ... _ps_aus3pk
user Stupid cockwomble
sheet of cardboard with a tablet drawn on it, huh?
maurvir Meat popsicle
Betonhaus posted:
"Hexbreaker (Hexworld Book 1)" by Jordan L. Hawk.

Start reading it for free: http://a.co/0vCcsuT

Oh... It's good. It's nice to read something that doesn't focus on the wrong equipment. I should find more.

I don't like "romance" novels, regardless of orientation. I don't mind queer characters in stories, but as a general rule, a character's orientation should be an aspect of a larger story or character arc, not the whole thing.
I think I discovered a passion for saucy gay romance novels...
Which Kindle did you get?
A paperwhite, but not the latest as I got it off Kijiji. I don't know which model, but it has micro USB and 3gb of storage so I'm betting it's not the waterproof version.
I'm leaning towards the waterproof version thats $99.
justine posted:
I'm leaning towards the waterproof version thats $99.

I'd say go for it. I nearly bought it at $130cad, but after thinking about it I bought one used for a bit cheaper. So far I like it, if i had a bathtub I'd consider upgrading to the waterproof version.
maurvir Meat popsicle
Betonhaus, you might consider the current free e-Book on Tor.
maurvir posted:

I don't believe you are referring to the tor network but I don't have enough context to know of any other meanings.
maurvir Meat popsicle
Betonhaus posted:
maurvir posted:

I don't believe you are referring to the tor network but I don't have enough context to know of any other meanings.

https://www.tor.com/

They focus on science fiction and fantasy, with a free e-book every month to people on the mailing list. The current book's intro strongly implies the lead character is a gay man. I'm not sure it's a requirement, but many of Tor's free e-books have been written by queer authors since I have been on the mailing list.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

So I caved and bought a Kindle