Gilmour's Guitars

Online now: juice, maurvir
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Christie’s are set to auction more than 120 guitars from the personal collection of David Gilmour, including the iconic Fender Stratocaster played on The Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, Animals and The Wall
https://www.christies.com/features/Davi ... BjBrc5t4WU
juice Inadvertently correct
I was wondering if he had alimony and/or divorce proceedings to pay, but the site suggests the funds are going to charity.

That is awesome. I wish I had a few hundred thousand dollars lying around.
ukimalefu Wasn't me
He's selling the #0001 strat!? the first stratocaster fender ever made! I can't believe it!

Estimate: $100,000-150,000?

nonsense, it has to sell for more
I need to win the lottery. Imagine how incredible it would be to own the black strat.
Séamas Honorary Consul General
ukimalefu posted:
He's selling the #0001 strat!? the first stratocaster fender ever made! I can't believe it!

The #0001 Strat is not the first Stratocaster ever made.

It was a custom job--I believe for a friend of Leo Fender's (or possibly a Fender Employee) and was given that number.

Still it is an unusual Strat and it is from '54, so valuable no matter what.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Warin posted:
I need to win the lottery. Imagine how incredible it would be to own "The Black Strat".

FTFY
ukimalefu Wasn't me
Séamas posted:
ukimalefu posted:

It was a custom job--I believe for a friend of Leo Fender's (or possibly a Fender Employee) and was given that number.

Ok, they may have been prototypes, but according to an interview from an old guitar magazine I still have, it was the first out of the production line. And yes, an employee ended up with it, but it's unclear why, and Gilmour got it from someone who worked for him. The things is, according to that interview, that Guitar was important to Gilmour, and he's selling it? ok, it's not like he needs it, I'm sure he can get guitars just by asking, but still.
Séamas Honorary Consul General
ukimalefu posted:
Séamas posted:
ukimalefu posted:

Ok, they may have been prototypes, but according to an interview from an old guitar magazine I still have, it was the first out of the production line. And yes, an employee ended up with it, but it's unclear why, and Gilmour got it from someone who worked for him. The things is, according to that interview, that Guitar was important to Gilmour, and he's selling it? ok, it's not like he needs it, I'm sure he can get guitars just by asking, but still.

I am familiar with that story, but the Gilmour's ( a one-off showpiece) is not the first Stratocaster, and I am not even putting prototypes into the equation.

The first Stratocaster was actually #0100.

https://www.guitarworld.com/gear/meet-f ... al-no-0100
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Gilmour's Guitars