Black Panther gets best movie Oscar nomination

Online now: Google [Bot], juice, Metacell, Pithecanthropus
ukimalefu Rebel? resistance? why not both?
https://www.theverge.com/2019/1/22/1819 ... ath-ledger

A superhero movie

A popular movie

It totally deserves it, IMHO, but it's a change for The Oscars.

But I still won't watch the show. I'll find out the results the next day.
TOS
they previously were going to add a category for "most popular" movie (or some such), mostly to make room for black panther ... but a tsunami of mockery led them to junk that idea, then magically the movie appears among the best picture nominees

after years of racism accusations they're desperate to seem woke
Séamas Honorary Consul General
I don't know what should or shouldn't win an Oscar, or what should deserve one.
I saw Black Panther, and it was fairly entertaining, but it just seemed like just another superhero movie --other than it featuring a mostly black cast, which only made it look like a movie that should have been done 20-30 years ago.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
As far as plot and action it's pretty much the same as the rest, but I thought the art design was uniquely superior.
dv
Metacell posted:
As far as plot and action it's pretty much the same as the rest, but I thought the art design was uniquely superior.

Me: "best picture? It was just a superhero movie, and it wasn't that good..."
Also Me: "but... did I see any movies last year that were better?"
Me: "Not really."
macnuke Afar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-diB65scQU won best song at the grammy's.
ya never know.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
it won't win, but, "It's an honor just to be nominated ... "
(especially as the token minority ... )
DukeofNuke posted:
it won't win, but, "It's an honor just to be nominated ... "
(especially as the token minority ... )

Blakkklansman also nominated
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Thing is (for me), the Oscars are awards given by the inside people; the moviemakers who are inside the process and know the difficulties faced by their peers. They can watch a movie and "see" the issues faced by the people involved. Technological breakthroughs, amazing performances, editing, music ... these are things the average consumer of popcorn doesn't even think about. The Oscars is not a popularity contest.
That said, I'm irritated by the way super hero movies and Sci-Fi get snubbed at almost every opportunity.
It's an incestuous circle jerk of favours, backscratching and backbiting.

My only connection to the Oscars is when I watch a movie that pops up the "screener for academy members only" text at the bottom.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Ribtor posted:
It's an incestuous circle jerk of favours, backscratching and backbiting.

Well; Hollywood then ...
TOS
the golden globes are far worse ... open bribery in a huge way
obvs precoupado
Why are awards shows relevant anymore?

Do we really think that these are the best?

Most of the movies produced each year aren't even in the pool of movies selected from to be put in consideration.
dv
obvs posted:

Most of the movies produced each year aren't even in the pool of movies selected from to be put in consideration.

... but most of the movies produced each year are terrible.
obvs posted:

who is this "we" you ask about?

what "we" think doesn't matter it's not a popularity contest. (IMO, it is, but not officially)

The academy gets to decide, hollywood, actors, directors, people who are supposed to know about movies. But yeah, too often popular movies win oscars, and worst thing is when a movie or someone gets an award "because they should".

Anyway, why is it relevant? it must still make money, or they wouldn't do that super long tv show every year.
user Stupid cockwomble
it's been falling off rapidly - I wouldn't be surprised to see it cut back and/or canceled in the future
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
Sorry, but beyond the race of its actors, it's just another cookie-cutter superhero movie.

My one thought while watching that movie, and all the scenes that took place in Wakanda: where the hell does all that water come from, and where does it go?

Final thought: fiddlesticks the Oscars. They lost me when they picked "Shakespeare In Love" over "Saving Private Ryan" for best pic.
Pithecanthropus posted:
My one thought while watching that movie, and all the scenes that took place in Wakanda: where the hell does all that water come from, and where does it go?

Pithecanthropus posted:
superhero movie.

There's your answer. It doesn't matter.

Extended comic book universe answer: They have super advanced technology, and super powers, and they're the good guys in a superhero movie. They want or need water, they get it.

:p
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
I liked the bar fight and car chase scenes ...
obvs precoupado
ukimalefu posted:
obvs posted:

who is this "we" you ask about?

what "we" think doesn't matter it's not a popularity contest. (IMO, it is, but not officially)

The academy gets to decide, hollywood, actors, directors, people who are supposed to know about movies. But yeah, too often popular movies win oscars, and worst thing is when a movie or someone gets an award "because they should".

Anyway, why is it relevant? it must still make money, or they wouldn't do that super long tv show every year.
I've watched the Oscars before. I've often seen shows given awards and disagreed with the awards given, or thought that different shows deserved the award.

The Oscars aren't "This was the best." They're "A bunch of people liked this."
dv
obvs posted:
I've watched the Oscars before. I've often seen shows given awards and disagreed with the awards given, or thought that different shows deserved the award.

The Oscars aren't "This was the best." They're "A bunch of people liked this."

A bunch of people who make movies for a living. Their opinion matters a little more than ours, at least within their peer group, and I'm sure they don't really care if we disagree with them.

Most industries have their equivalent of the Oscars, (e.g., the Pullitzer prize, Grammy's, etc.)
TOS
Pithecanthropus posted:
Final thought: fiddlesticks the Oscars. They lost me when they picked "Shakespeare In Love" over "Saving Private Ryan" for best pic.

thank harvey weinstein for that .. he bought and bullied his way to that oscar
I'd choose SIL over SPR. SPR Gets bogged down in its own Bocage after the landing. It was an exercise in movie-making technique rather than solid storytelling. I think Dunkirk had the same flaw. SPR is good movie and Hanks and the cinematography and effects certainly deserved recognition, but SIL is original and demanded more of the cast and the audience.
Ribtor posted:

I agree with Bill Maher on that one, and I'm a huge Marvel fan. I don't think its harmful...I liken it to sports. Millions of people around the world love sports and make a huge deal out of them. But its just a hobby, people who think either Super Heroes or Sports are important are deluded.
obvs precoupado
I disagree on both counts.

Superhero comics involve a lot of moral questions, and situations that relate to major political issues. If you look at the X-Men, for example, it's about a group of people facing major discrimination from others while at the same time working to help the people discriminating against them. Superhero comics can touch on obligations, risking your own well-being for others you care about, loss, illness, and other issues. Reading about those things gets people to consider them when they might not have otherwise developed the ability to do so.

Bill Maher loves to bash anything related to youth, and he's really getting to be a pain in the ass on that issue, especially given that it's his generation (and not the younger ones) who's stick fiddled up so much of the world. But he keeps bashing youth and things liked by young people.

As for sports, I don'r care for sports, but I understand that energy that's put toward sports is not put toward other more harmful activities like violence and war. I would much rather people care about football than commit violence against others.
user Stupid cockwomble
"things liked by young people"??

You think only young people like sports and superhero comics?

BTW, the younger ones will have their hand at stick fiddling the world.
obvs precoupado
No, I don't think that only young people like sports and superhero comics.

He has a long history of going after young people, and in his rant he explicitly complained of comics as something for young people.

Don't try to make his argument into mine.

As for sports, I really don't think it was referenced by him or by me in that way. My mention of sports was specifically in regard to the post before mine.
user Stupid cockwomble
You said "he keeps bashing youth and things liked by young people" and the subject in question is sports and superhero comics.
obvs precoupado
Generally in a conversation people address the topic at hand, the statement made immediately previous, and any pre-existing knowledge.

I never said that only young people like sports and comics.

I referenced sports because it was in the post immediately preceding mine, and I mentioned that Maher has a tendency to go after young people and things liked by young people. That's relevant, because he argued that comics are something that should only be liked by young people.
Metacell posted:
Ribtor posted:

I agree with Bill Maher on that one, and I'm a huge Marvel fan. I don't think its harmful...I liken it to sports. Millions of people around the world love sports and make a huge deal out of them. But its just a hobby, people who think either Super Heroes or Sports are important are deluded.

Maher's schtick is that he stirs the pot by going overboard with his outrage. He's got a valid point about the rise of infantilism in society. His bit on social media "Adulting" was particularly funny. The "glow-y thing" was also funny.
I'm the one who mentioned sports, because I see it has similar obsessive qualities in fandom and disproportionate amount of attention focused on it relative to its importance, by adults. And sure comics touch upon all kinds of important topics, but usually in a very escapist way. I could be reading a whole lot of political essays and biographies about real-life heavy topics if I didn't keep up with 5 Avenger series and their TV spinoffs...but I recognize that I watch them for fun and escapism, not to be enlightened.

When I was growing up, these kind of fantasies were few and far between. A lot more movies were adult dramas about real world issues. Now roughly half the movies I see advertised are some modernized Twilight Zone episode. A lot of this is down to technology, but a lot of it is that generations are growing up without a sense of real culture or belonging to this world and just devote their whole lives to not engaging with it, be it through movies, video-games, or social media.

I have no issue with fantasy, I love it, I grew up watching monster movies and I love mythology in general and I do think it is a worthwhile storytelling mode that speaks to the child-heart in all of us (although TBH, a lot of historical mythology is much more adult in its themes). That said, most of the characters are shallow ciphers usually played for laughs and spectacle. Even doom-laden Batman has just become a goth wish-fulfillment with very little relatable humanity.

I'm not trying to harsh the fans, I'm one of them. I'm from the Star Wars generation and I enjoy this stuff as much as anyone, but I've talked about this stuff with my friends, and we've all noticed that at one time mainstream media catered to adults first and the kids stuff had not nearly the amount of focus and money and advertising reach. I mean look at Transformers, arguably the most vapid toy commercial of all time, yet seared into the ids of so many kids they think defeating the Decepticons is the struggle of our lifetime (and these are all adults now). I mean, sure I'm as guilty as the rest with my Ren and Stimpy dolls and whatnot (I'm 49), but I think there's some kind of self examination needed of what kind of society we will be creating that promotes perpetual childhood.
Many years ago I read an article in a psychology magazine detailing the rise of the infantile. One takeaway was the potential for industries to cater their products to this. Toys, basically. This would have the effect of strengthening this trend through feedback. This was before social media but was during the change of cell phones from analogue to digital and the rise of faster internet. The new bandwidth was going to open up the opportunities for entertainment and be a driver for the growing infantilism. It was a prescient article. I wish I could find it.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Black Panther gets best movie Oscar nomination