Petition to Disney to release "Hakuna matata" trademark

Online now: No visible users
Petition site.

While hakuna matata was practically unknown in the western world before "Lion King", it was a common Swahili phrase that can be loosely translated as "no problems".

The worlwide trademark also applies to Swahili speakers. Imagine if a Swahili corporation had the economic backing to enforce their trademark of some common English phrase.
macnuke Afar
ukimalefu Wasn't me
DEyncourt posted:
Petition site.

While hakuna matata was practically unknown in the western world before "Lion King", it was a common Swahili phrase that can be loosely translated as "no problems".

The worlwide trademark also applies to Swahili speakers. Imagine if a Swahili corporation had the economic backing to enforce their trademark of some common English phrase.

You mean I could sell t-shirts that said Hakuna matata, just after Disney announced the remake of The Lion King, and pretend I'm not taking advantage of that? hey, it's just some common swahili phrase.

Maybe it could be allowed only for products made in countries that speak swahili, but I doubt it will happen.
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
Nothing wrong here.
ukimalefu posted:
DEyncourt posted:
Petition site.

You mean I could sell t-shirts that said Hakuna matata, just after Disney announced the remake of The Lion King, and pretend I'm not taking advantage of that? hey, it's just some common swahili phrase.

Maybe it could be allowed only for products made in countries that speak swahili, but I doubt it will happen.

Let's say that there was a wildly popular Swahili musical which was in Swahili except for the laugh line of "good morning" so the corporate sponsor got a worldwide trademark for "good morning".

Of course that isn't going to happen considering the dominance of American media, but how fair is it the other way around?

Disney could still have an enforcable trademark if "Hakuna matata" is used in combination with a pictured character from the "Lion King", but just a t-shirt with the phrase alone?
Pariah Know Your Enemy
A malignant case of cultural appropriation.

I hate Disney so much.
obvs Eating chickens is for the bourgeoisie
Yay "intellectual property"!
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Petition to Disney to release "Hakuna matata" trademark