Radio station stops playing "Baby It's Cold Outside"

Page: 1, 2
Online now: DEyncourt, Google [Bot]
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/cleveland- ... ndertones/
I always thought that song was a bit creepy.
Here's the story on FOX NEWS: https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/o ... o-movement
(auto play warning) THe report is straight-up, but ... the comments!
Quote:
This song was during World War II. People had a reason to live fast and really just live. We need a good war so all of the insulted people can have something real to worry about.

:facepalm:
:shrug: It is a song about seduction. I suppose if the woman sang her part making it obvious that she wants nothing to with him then sure #MeToo, but THAT isn't the ususal way that song is sung.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
Utterly effing stupid. Might as well ban all rock music for containing "innuendo."
obvs Eating chickens is for the bourgeoisie
There's a difference between innuendo about sex and innuendo about rape.
ukimalefu Wasn't me
Metacell posted:
Utterly effing stupid. Might as well ban all rock music for containing "innuendo."

Would you do the fandango?
The planet is on fire and fascists are taking over western social democracies.

Getting a minor seasonal popular song off the air will no doubt count as a victory for some. Are these distractions engineered by Big Corp?

Lenin used to run his own popular anti communist and reactionary opposition groups at arms length. So much easier that way. Mao's Communists distracted people with some of the most inane made-up "crimes" against the state during the Cultural Revolution.

We have this.
user Stupid cockwomble
last time I heard the song a few years ago I did feel a bit uncomfortable with it

and this was way before meetoo started
All sex is rape now. And all forms of touching are assault.

There is nothing creepy about this song: It's pro-getting laid.
I haven't heard it all that much ever. I don't think it was ever a popular song.

Plus the whole "I'm saying no but I want you to make me say yes" concept is stupid.
jkahless Custom Title
If you strip out all but the subtext, what you're left with is...

"Let's bone."

"But society will judge."

"Plausible deniability."

"I love plausible deniability."

It's a coy dance in a prescriptive society.
Metacell posted:

Mhmm.
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
stick fiddling pure blatherskite.

I'm not a fan of the song because I've had to sing it a million times, but the people calling it a rape song are just stupid.
dv
Pithecanthropus posted:
stick fiddling pure blatherskite.

I'm not a fan of the song because I've had to sing it a million times, but the people calling it a rape song are just stupid.

It's an misinterpretation that's been around for a while. I recall reading it on one of those progressive sites (Salon maybe?) like ten years ago.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
I've been hearing it in my head all weekend; in Dean Martin's voice.
Rape is a product of hate and power manifest as violence. I don't think that song captures that.
maurvir Outlier
obvs posted:
Metacell posted:

Mhmm.

In both cases, it seems pretty clear that the "victim" is playing hard to get, and isn't actually opposed to staying. How many times do both parties agree during the course of the song? It's one of those weird quirks of humans that some people have to feel like they are being pursued - sometimes aggressively.

Now, that is not to say you should try this on your own dates. Physically restraining someone from leaving isn't a good thing - unless you have that level of trust where everyone knows it's a "thing". However, calling this "rape", or even rape apologetics, is an extreme insult to the real deal.
This is one of my favourite winter songs because unlike most others it wasn't themed to christmas but wintertime. I have the version from the Mafia 2 game soundtrack that features Buddy Clark & Dinah Shore. People who think the song is rape are the same level of stupid as Incels.

When the lyrics for this song were written, society at that time for a woman to have stayed a night over at a bachelors pad was scandalous (and the song is about her coyly wanting to stay but saying she can't because society forbids it). Woman did not have the freedom they have today and if this song should be branded as anything it should be branded as an example of feminist progress. To have cast off (much to the hatred of Incels) that time when Women were expected to fit in and behave a stereotypical womanaly house wife role and anything else was life ruining for you in society.

Last edited by Aaron_R on Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:39 am.

I think it's interesting how a lot of people who insist that their own perception of the song as okay is more important than the fact that a lot of people find it objectionable.

That seems to reflect the issue itself.

And complaining that "You have to understand the context," ignores the fact that you're sitting there, actively having to provide such context, so any context you're hoping to provide is not something that's inherent to the song and isn't something that everyone who hears the song in the future is going to have heard you provide.

"What's in this drink?" has a particular context now. And it's never going back to whatever anyone wants to argue that it used to mean 60 years ago.
dv
obvs posted:
I think it's interesting how a lot of people who insist that their own perception of the song as okay is more important than the fact that a lot of people find it objectionable.

That seems to reflect the issue itself.

And complaining that "You have to understand the context," ignores the fact that you're sitting there, actively having to provide such context, so any context you're hoping to provide is not something that's inherent to the song and isn't something that everyone who hears the song in the future is going to have heard you provide.

"What's in this drink?" has a particular context now. And it's never going back to whatever anyone wants to argue that it used to mean 60 years ago.

No. Your ignorance does not justify your attempts at censorship.
Ever been on a date with someone capable of raping you?

Or has anyone ever implied to you that they might want to?
dv
That is irrelevant to the matter of banning art you don't understand because the meaning you assign to it makes you uncomfortable.
You don't think that playing a song that reminds people of rape is something that shouldn't be done?

No, I think it's very relevant.

There's a huge difference between a radio station saying "We're not going to air this," and saying "You aren't going to be able to buy this or obtain this for your own use." As far as I know, no one has done the latter.
Sorry, obvs, but seduction REQUIRES two (or more if that's your thing) to tango. Like I wrote before: if the woman being seduced responded coldly then the song completely fails because the man will be seen to be indifferent or even hostile to HER emotions.

Perhaps there are versions where the woman is cool to cold making her responses, but I am also sure they were done for satiric or comic effect.

Frankly I am tired of having to cater to the "trigger-sensitive" brats. For example: I am always extremely insulted watching Mickey Rooney's cringe-inducing protrayal of a Japanese-American in the movie "Breakfast at Tiffany's" because it plays to every worst "Jap" stereotype, but rather than ban that movie from ever being shown again I would rather people watch to be surprised by Rooney's appearances (though I wish I could guaranty that all viewers would cringe).
You don't think a woman can be interested in a guy and be talking sexually but not be willing to go all of the way at this very moment?
Because the woman would bear all the consequences should a pregnancy happen, she should be allowed to control the extent of the seduction, though social norms have considerably changed which before expected the woman to accept passively whatever were the man's demands.

Were you expecting anything different?
obvs posted:

It also has a particular context now in AA...duh, there's alcohol in your drink.
Somebody Put Something In My Drink
TOS
i humbly request the banning of all christmas carols, everywhere, immediately

every year they become this constant, aggravating thing that makes me want to become a serial arsonist
juice Inadvertently correct
TOS posted:

every year they become this constant, aggravating thing that makes me want to become a serial arsonist

YES YES YES YES YES
Séamas Honorary Consul General
It's a dumb reason to ban that song, but I really hate that one.
Also "Santa Baby".
TOS posted:

It's funny, I'm completely atheist, but I really like the old religious carols and hymns.

Other than the Phil Spector Christmas album, I don't have much like for ANY pop christmas music at all.
DEyncourt posted:
S

Frankly I am tired of having to cater to the "trigger-sensitive" brats. For example: I am always extremely insulted watching Mickey Rooney's cringe-inducing protrayal of a Japanese-American in the movie "Breakfast at Tiffany's" because it plays to every worst "Jap" stereotype, but rather than ban that movie from ever being shown again I would rather people watch to be surprised by Rooney's appearances (though I wish I could guaranty that all viewers would cringe).

I watched that movie for the first time several years ago and had no prior knowledge of that part. It was literally shocking. I mean it was right out of an 1870s Mistrel show. That movie was made right in the midst of the civil rights era. Holy crap.
juice Inadvertently correct
Elvis' Blue Christmas and the Bob & Doug version of The Twelve Days are the only two I can think of that I still actively enjoy.
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
obvs posted:
You don't think that playing a song that reminds people of rape is something that shouldn't be done?

Does your radio not have an "off" button? Is it glued to that particular station?

Why should a radio station have to babysit a minority of its listeners?
Séamas posted:
TOS posted:

It's funny, I'm completely atheist, but I really like the old religious carols and hymns.

Other than the Phil Spector Christmas album, I don't have much like for ANY pop christmas music at all.

I love Vince Guaraldi's Charlie Brown Christmas album. We play it at my shop. But only after December 1st and there must be snow on the ground. Those are the rules.

"Baby It's Cold Outside" was typical of the songs that upset a certain Sayd Qutb when he was a teacher in the U.S. in the 50s. He also thought it promoted and glorified an inappropriate relationship common between women and men in the west. Sayd Qutb returned to Egypt, was arrested and tortured by his government, was the teacher and inspiration of another Egyptian by the name of Ayman Mohammed Rabie al-Zawahiri who led al Qaeda when bin Laden was an underling, and still currently leads al Qaeda.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
So, "Baby it's Cold Outside" is the motivation for 9/11.
Whoda thunk ...
DukeofNuke posted:
So, "Baby it's Cold Outside" is the motivation for 9/11.
Whoda thunk ...

That, and his observation that Americans were obsessed with watering their lawns. Really.
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
Most Christmas songs don't make any damn sense when you live in the desert, anyway.
Séamas posted:
It's a dumb reason to ban that song, but I really hate that one.
Also "Santa Baby".

I like the version where she details all of the favours she'll do in exchange for certain gifts. I ahven't heard it in years so I don't remember the details. I do remember the stanza ends on "Santa baby, you're coming down my chimney tonight" and there are references to the back door and the balcony.
Robert B. posted:
Most Christmas songs don't make any damn sense when you live in the desert, anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOrwX11CbsY
Pithecanthropus posted:
obvs posted:

Does your radio not have an "off" button? Is it glued to that particular station?

Why should a radio station have to babysit a minority of its listeners?

The radio station can make a similar claim. "Want to listen to that song? Go get it yourself or tune in to another station. No one is stopping you."
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Radio station stops playing "Baby It's Cold Outside"

Page: 1, 2