reshoots, delayed release for wonder woman 2 ...

Online now: Google [Bot], iDaemon, Pariah
TOS
it's set in the 80s ... they announced that its release date is being pushed back seven months (to 2020) so they can do a bunch of reshoots and "reshaping" of the movie

apparently they're using elements of the "flashpoint" storyline of the flash comix, in which he changed the timeline to ensure his mother wouldn't die

in the comic he later changed it back, but it seems wonder woman will change the timeline so that her honey steve doesn't die (or something)

the reason for this?

they're turning it into a "soft reboot" that will allow them to start over with the dc movie universe, with new actors for characters like batman and superman, along with new directors, new writers, a whole new look, the works

so ... yeah, basically their most successful franchise will be used to rebrand all the others
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Has Disney bought them (DC) yet?
TOS
warner brothers owns 'em

maybe disney will end up buying wb, but it seems to be run by clowns
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
If they can't figure out how to make good stand alone movies first by people who know the source material...it's gonna' suck like the rest.
Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
I hope we get the invisible plane in this one.
arkayn Aaarrrggghhhh
Robert B. posted:

She has no need of an invisible plane, she can fly herself.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
I actually spent some time researching this last night (my life ... sigh ...)
and it's rather confusing. Through various reeboots and retcons in the comics, WW can either:
A) Fly like Superman
B) Leap great distances like the Hulk
C) Float on the wind like a feather
D) None of the above, has her own airplane
I don't think even the guys at DC know anymore.
TOS
DukeofNuke posted:
and it's rather confusing. Through various reeboots and retcons in the comics, WW can either:
A) Fly like Superman

exactly why i never got into superhero comics ... every time i tried reading one i was baffled as hell
DukeofNuke posted:
A) Fly like Superman

She flies because she's shot from a canon.

Last edited by Ribtor on Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:44 pm.

Robert B. Dandy Highwayman
arkayn posted:
Robert B. posted:

She has no need of an invisible plane, she can fly herself.

She has no need of a tiara, either, but she still has one.
TOS posted:
it's set in the 80s ... they announced that its release date is being pushed back seven months (to 2020) so they can do a bunch of reshoots and "reshaping" of the movie

apparently they're using elements of the "flashpoint" storyline of the flash comix, in which he changed the timeline to ensure his mother wouldn't die

in the comic he later changed it back, but it seems wonder woman will change the timeline so that her honey steve doesn't die (or something)

the reason for this?

they're turning it into a "soft reboot" that will allow them to start over with the dc movie universe, with new actors for characters like batman and superman, along with new directors, new writers, a whole new look, the works

so ... yeah, basically their most successful franchise will be used to rebrand all the others

So the new Flash core timeline is going to use the same Flashpoint comic book storyline that the CW TV show uses? That's... kind of sad.

Then again, it's also sad that the CW Flash show is better than all but one of the DC movies...
DukeofNuke posted:
A) Fly like Superman

That's true.

Originally and into the 1970's TV series Wonder Woman was merely another human. An Amazon who had amazing powers even for an Amazon, but just human.

NOW WW is a demi-goddess with a lot of questions concerning that "demi-" part. In her current movie incarnation, there are questions on whether or not Superman could best her in an all-out fight. Even superhuman Kryptonians are vulnerable to kryptonite exposure and even simple age (in the original comic books they put Superman's longevity at a bit longer than 200 Earth years), but the current WW is not subject to those weaknesses.
maurvir Outlier
I really feel like making Wonder Woman "super human" was a mistake. As a human, she had much more in common with Batman - and was more relatable as a result. As a "super hero" she is just one of many and easily forgettable.

Of course, I wish the movies had played up more of Batman, super detective, than Batman, kicker of asses, but that's just me.
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
DEyncourt posted:
DukeofNuke posted:
A) Fly like Superman

That's true.

Originally and into the 1970's TV series Wonder Woman was merely another human. An Amazon who had amazing powers even for an Amazon, but just human.

NOW WW is a demi-goddess with a lot of questions concerning that "demi-" part. In her current movie incarnation, there are questions on whether or not Superman could best her in an all-out fight. Even superhuman Kryptonians are vulnerable to kryptonite exposure and even simple age (in the original comic books they put Superman's longevity at a bit longer than 200 Earth years), but the current WW is not subject to those weaknesses.

Not quite...I had the DC origins collection. She was originally carved out of clay by Hyppolyta, and Aphrodite then breathed life into her (later changed to Zeus). I really liked the movie for not trying to explain away the Greek mythology.
DEyncourt posted:

Not sure how consistent it was but Superman is susceptible to magic derived powers. A sword Wonder Woman brought from Themyscira could cut him and Shazam can overpower him with brute strength.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Mister Mxyzptlk
Metacell posted:
DEyncourt posted:
DukeofNuke posted:
A) Fly like Superman

That's true.

Not quite...I had the DC origins collection. She was originally carved out of clay by Hyppolyta, and Aphrodite then breathed life into her (later changed to Zeus). I really liked the movie for not trying to explain away the Greek mythology.

Heh. I choose to interpret that as DC getting around the problem of having to explain Amazon pregnancy and getting pregnant to their 10-year-old buyer base back then.

Of course nowadays...does ANY comic book line have that as a buyer base anymore?
DukeofNuke posted:
Mister Mxyzptlk

Gesundheit.
j_tso posted:
DEyncourt posted:

Not sure how consistent it was but Superman is susceptible to magic derived powers.
[snip]

True dat, considering
DukeofNuke posted:
Mister Mxyzptlk

for Superman (though I have some recollection of Mister Mxyzptlk being from so far in the future that his powers basically were indistinguishable from magic, but I may have just mixed things up).

It remains to be seen if Wonder Woman is equally susceptible to whatever kinds of magic. Perhaps there might be a movie where that question could be answered.

BUT on the other hand: I would prefer THAT movie NOT to be made. Mister Mxyzptlk basically created the same problem in the Superman's universe that Q created for "Star Trek: TNG": a being with seemingly unlimited power AND capriciousness on occasion steps in to do rather arbitrary acts which creates havoc for the main character(s), then goes away having gotten his jollies satisfied and/or having taught some sort of lesson (if only to himself). I actually read some of those Superman comics during the late 1960's when Mister Mxyzptlk made appearances maybe once a year or so apparently just to remind readers that Superman was NOT all-powerful, merely VERY powerful.

I suspect that eventually the writers at DC Comics were told to stop using him considering there was nothing to stop Mister Mxyzptlk in Superman (or Q in TNG for that matter) from saying one day: "I'm bored because you are no longer interesting. You are (or Your ship is) now an Earth type of mosquito." >slap< "Now, what will I have for lunch?"

Sure, sure: one can come up with psychological reasons for those characters not doing that such as they shouldn't break their toys, but such explanations are rather arbitrary.

So I am NOT looking forward to a future WW movie which has Hermes/Mercury--he was the trickster god in the Greek/Roman pantheons, right?--playing this role.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

reshoots, delayed release for wonder woman 2 ...