Doctrix Who (Spoilers)

Page: 1, 2
Online now: Google [Bot], juice, Pariah
:awe:

she lives up to the hype.

Last edited by obvs on Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:28 pm. spoilers

Yori Program
She seems a bit Tennant-y to me. Not that that's a bad thing. :)
Metacell Chocolate Brahma
She seems like a Davison to me...but that was Tennant's Doctor.
There are no doctors after Baker. The BBC is perpetuating a massive fraud on its audience and must be punished.
ukimalefu Wasn't me
Yori posted:
She seems a bit Tennant-y to me. Not that that's a bad thing. :)

yeah, I agree
juice Inadvertently correct
Amy Pond 4 EVA
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
I kind of stopped following Dr. Who on a regular basis after Amy and Rory's departure.
I liked the way Moffat kept writing them into these paradoxical situations, and now and then incorporating the 10 year old Amy into the adventure.
After that, it just seemed (to me) that the show just became another monster-of-the-week, even though Clara was cute as a button she just couldn't hold me.
Ribtor posted:
There are no doctors after Baker. The BBC is perpetuating a massive fraud on its audience and must be punished.

Also...the first three Doctors were retconned in just to justify their faces appearing in the psychic wrestling match scene from The Brain of Morbius.
Metacell posted:
Ribtor posted:

Also...the first three Doctors were retconned in just to justify their faces appearing in the psychic wrestling match scene from The Brain of Morbius.

... I don't know enough old series lore to verify that
Betonhaus posted:
Metacell posted:
Ribtor posted:

... I don't know enough old series lore to verify that

No, it's true! They went back and filmed 11 seasons of the show with outdated tech and with a number of actors who had already died!
...ok why does it have a biscuit dispenser now? The new digs are pretty cool though.
Yori Program
Accoridng to IMDB:
The custard cream dispenser was described as a little gift for Jodi Whittaker from the set designers. The head Art Designer, Arwel Jones, asked Whittaker what her favorite biscuit (cookie) was, and installed the dispenser as a surprise for her.
...well okay then. I'm expecting Swedish Fish to go with them though.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Fishsticks and custard 4EVAR !
My favorite Dr. Who line of all time: "You're Scottish. Fry something."
Yori Program
So how are you guys doing with the accents?
obvs Eating chickens is for the bourgeoisie
Not that difficult, really.
They're fun but clear
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Ohhkay... I should've seen this coming, but I would've never expected them to literally open with Rosa Parks and the bus.
DukeofNuke FREE RADICAL
Yori Program
juice Inadvertently correct
Quote:
She lived to be 92 and saw the America change beyond recognition

I would argue it hasn't changed as much as we thought or as much as it needs to change.
I'd say we just need to finish the job we started in the last civil war.
ukimalefu Wasn't me
Ok, I officially want to say that even if I did like 12, I like 13 more, she's just great.

But I just realized something, does she have a saying? a Catch Phrase? I haven't noticed... or maybe not yet.

-fan-tas-tic
-allons-y
-geronimo, "my hat, or bowtie, or whatever, is cool"
Well she claims to be Banksy but that's it. She states that she's still learning what kind of person she is.
Pithecanthropus Roast Master
I still don't understand why making a traditionally male fictional character female is supposed to be so empowering. I daren't say that anywhere where my Dr. Who fanatic friends could hear it, though.
dv
Pithecanthropus posted:
I still don't understand why making a traditionally male fictional character female is supposed to be so empowering. I daren't say that anywhere where my Dr. Who fanatic friends could hear it, though.

The creative bankruptcy of the entertainment industry is hardly news. It's easier than coming up with new characters.

Also, it gets more attention.
maurvir Outlier
Pithecanthropus posted:

The Doctor was always an alien who could regenerate as anyone (s)he pleased, so it's not quite the same as turning Venkman, Spengler, etc. into women.
Pithecanthropus posted:

The timing is a touch tone deaf, but it's been hinted as a possibility for years. The Matt Smith doctor was worried he was a woman when he saw how long his hair was.

The whole point of the doctor is that he changes and his personality changes. That's what's happening here, she has an identity crisis her way and is not pretending to be a grumpy old Scotsman.
Pithecanthropus posted:

I think the point Chibnall (Who only agreed to do the show if he could cast the first female Doctor) is trying to make is that it doesn't make any difference.
ukimalefu Wasn't me
Nobody complained when The Master was a woman

Yes, if you weren't paying attention, Missy is The Master.

So a Time Lord from Gallifrey was a woman before The Doctor.

ooops! sorry, SPOILERS![/riversong]
maurvir Outlier
No one is attempting to argue that all Time Lords were men, because that was already demonstrably false. The issue is that this particular Time Lord became a female after being male for so long, which ignores the fact that physical sex, for Time Lords, is arbitrary in the Doctor Who canon.

It's really a shame that the series didn't switch between male and female more often, as I think the different points of view would have livened things up a bit.
Well, I liken it to the Dalai Lama's claim: that the future Dalai Lama can be female, but only when society has advanced to the point of being able to accept it.
ukimalefu posted:
Nobody complained when The Master was a woman

Yes, if you weren't paying attention, Missy is The Master.

So a Time Lord from Gallifrey was a woman before The Doctor.

ooops! sorry, SPOILERS![/riversong]

Wasn't there's one sort of military guy who died in those episodes where Clara was stuck between heartbeats and came back as a woman who claimed that all other incarnations were women?
maurvir posted:
No one is attempting to argue that all Time Lords were men, because that was already demonstrably false. The issue is that this particular Time Lord became a female after being male for so long, which ignores the fact that physical sex, for Time Lords, is arbitrary in the Doctor Who canon.

It's really a shame that the series didn't switch between male and female more often, as I think the different points of view would have livened things up a bit.

I think it's a great thing. Such a radical change forces the Doctor to become more introspective
user Stupid cockwomble
Metacell posted:
Well, I liken it to the Dalai Lama's claim: that the future Dalai Lama can be female, but only when society has advanced to the point of being able to accept it.

so we got that going for us
I wasn't a big fan of the first four episodes, but the fifth and sixth were very good.
Yeah, that's when I feel the cast all came together.
nobody ever suspects the bubble wrap
I was totally thinking Cybermen.
Subsequent topic  /  Preceding topic

Doctrix Who (Spoilers)

Page: 1, 2