Star Trek Discovery

Music and video: analog or digital
dv

Re: Re:

Post by dv »

jkahless posted wrote:
TOS posted wrote: admittedly that was fairly silly, and i'm quite surprised they didn't show it being abandoned in order to keep it canon

They did mention quickly that starfleet was giving up on it until they could find an alternative to a generically altered human pilot.

You'd think that would have been a showstopper from the beginning.

"Hey, I have an idea for a new warp drive, but we'll need to violate the Augment laws."
"Denied."
Pariah
Title: Know Your Enemy

Post by Pariah »

I got a kick out of seeing Tig Notaro pop up in s2ep1.
Not even duct tape will fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.
iDaemon
Title: infinitely loopy

Post by iDaemon »

Ok...sorry this is kinda far afield. I’m watching a rerun of Boston Law at the moment. I suppose the particular episode doesn’t really matter for my purposes. Which is - to note that Shatner as Denny Crane is a stroke of sheer genius. He’s great in that role.

Now back to your regularly scheduled Discovery discussion. Thank you.
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams

https://kottke.org/18/02/a-list-of-25-p ... rry-barlow
user
Title: Stupid cockwomble

Post by user »

Shatner grew into acting well after his signature role.
Aw, he's no fun, he fell right over.

Science is Truth for Life. In FORTRAN tongue the Answer.

...so I'm supposed to find the Shadow King from inside a daiquiri?
Warin

Re: Star Trek Discovery

Post by Warin »

I am pretty sure that a significant amount of story is being poured into a reasonable explanation of why the spire drive doesn’t exist in the tos timeline.

in the last few episodes, there is a subplot that involves Tilly being possessed and then abducted by a being from the mycelial network. In theblat st episode, it is revealed that Stamits accidentally pulled the dying Dr Culber into the network with him, where he still exists and is poisoning the network from within. They then manage to rescue both Tilly and Culber. I suspect that the spore drive is going to be completely decommissioned to avoid furth incursions and damage to the network, and thus explain why they didn’t use the tech later on.

I also think the whole debate over the differences in look are a little silly. I doubt you could effectively make a Trek series that looked lower tech then TOS that people would actually watch. Remember, a significant portion of the look of TOS (at least colour wise) had more to do with having to produce effects that people with black and white televisions could appreciate than it did for the technology of the time.
I'm sorry Dave...
Pariah

Post by Pariah »

Warin posted wrote: I am pretty sure that a significant amount of story is being poured into a reasonable explanation of why the spire drive doesn’t exist in the tos timeline.

in the last few episodes, there is a subplot that involves Tilly being possessed and then abducted by a being from the mycelial network. In theblat st episode, it is revealed that Stamits accidentally pulled the dying Dr Culber into the network with him, where he still exists and is poisoning the network from within. They then manage to rescue both Tilly and Culber. I suspect that the spore drive is going to be completely decommissioned to avoid furth incursions and damage to the network, and thus explain why they didn’t use the tech later on.

I also think the whole debate over the differences in look are a little silly. I doubt you could effectively make a Trek series that looked lower tech then TOS that people would actually watch. Remember, a significant portion of the look of TOS (at least colour wise) had more to do with having to produce effects that people with black and white televisions could appreciate than it did for the technology of the time.

Yep, I don't think I saw TOS in color till the 80's. My parents were rocking an old B/W TV well into the 70s and idn't finally get a color set till after I moved out.
Metacell
Title: Chocolate Brahma

Post by Metacell »

They could so easily dispense with this issue by just stop making prequels and reboots.
Remember, people, to forgive is divine. In other words, it ain't human.
ukimalefu
Title: want, but shouldn't, may anyway

Post by ukimalefu »

That was a pleasant surprise, but Tilly is still my favorite.
iDaemon
Title: infinitely loopy

Post by iDaemon »

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams

https://kottke.org/18/02/a-list-of-25-p ... rry-barlow
ukimalefu
Title: want, but shouldn't, may anyway

Re:

Post by ukimalefu »

Not available for me...

or so they think, brb

yeah, cool video
jkahless
Title: Custom Title

Post by jkahless »

Bueno. Looking forward to next season.

Also, I’ve heard there’s a petition going around to make a Pike prequel. CBS has taken notice and Mr Mount is interested.
TOS

Post by TOS »

amazon has purchased the streaming rights for the planned picard series ... so maybe there will be trek on prime?
"TOS ain’t havin no horserace round here. “Policies” is the coin of the realm." -- iDaemon
Metacell

Post by Metacell »

The main reason I'm against premium Star Trek is because it's supposed to be for everybody, and thus represents major fail of humanity.
jkahless

Post by jkahless »

Metacell posted wrote: The main reason I'm against premium Star Trek is because it's supposed to be for everybody, and thus represents major fail of humanity.

If you're going to be that strict about it, Star Trek has always been a major fail. It was always for those wealthy enough to pay for luxuries like entertainment. Roddenberry sure wasn't above cashing in, remember the IDIC was invented specifically to be sold, and he wrote wasteful lyrics to the theme to get a writing credit and royalties.
Metacell

Post by Metacell »

I don't consider entertainment a luxury...I consider restaurant symphonies to be luxuries!

Also, Star Trek was bigger than Roddenberry...flawed people still have good ideas.
macnuke
Title: Afar

Post by macnuke »

Metacell posted wrote: I don't consider entertainment a luxury...I consider restaurant symphonies to be luxuries!

Also, Star Trek was bigger than Roddenberry...flawed people still have good ideas.

There are no illegitimate children...there are illegitimate parents.
jkahless

Post by jkahless »

2 more days!

And now there's rumors of another animated series coming with Janeway, and another series with Sisko... Im OK with this.
DukeofNuke
Title: FREE RADICAL

Post by DukeofNuke »

DISCO S1 is playing on CBS-OTA now. Thursday nights at 10:00. I think E3 is tonight.
intellectual/hipster/nihilist

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts."
-Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Warin

Post by Warin »

The first episode of season 3 was pretty good. I can tell by the flying monkeys wasting all over it in pretty much every Star Trek group I read.
I'm sorry Dave...
Pariah

Post by Pariah »

I have figured out how to enjoy STD. I just keep telling myself that "it's not Star Trek". Now that I have brain washed myself I can enjoy it as just another whiz bang SciFi actioner.
Metacell

Post by Metacell »

I just accept it all as a Captain Pike dream sequence from the matrix. Ahhh human waste, that's Doctor Who.
Pariah

Post by Pariah »

So, I bought All Access from inside Amazon to watch STD and all of a sudden in s2ep7 I am getting ads. WTF??

added: That blonde Paul dude is super bad casting. He has a face that belongs in Portlandia, not a Star Trek.
Pariah

Post by Pariah »

Book....seriously?? :squint:
DukeofNuke

Post by DukeofNuke »

think of it as an homage

Pariah

Re:

Post by Pariah »

DukeofNuke posted wrote: think of it as an homage

I really can't. If the writing were better, maybe, but as it is this is an insulting association.
jkahless

Post by jkahless »

Aaaaah, a whole episode on PTSD. Love it.

Also, the trill joining visuals were phenomenal. The visual effects team does a lot of psychedelics.
Pariah

Re:

Post by Pariah »

jkahless posted wrote: Aaaaah, a whole episode on PTSD. Love it.

Also, the trill joining visuals were phenomenal. The visual effects team does a lot of psychedelics.

STD has it's moments but overall the art direction is a stick fiddling mess. It keeps whipping back and forth between sharp and over saturated to soft and foggy, to tinted blue and blurry, to lens flair absurdities. Head ache inducing is what all that is and ends up with STD just not having what every decent show or movie has which is a unifying pallet of effects, lens' and lighting.
Pariah

Post by Pariah »

I do have to say seeing Tig Notaro as a regular makes me happy. I have been a fan of hers for a long, LONG time and she has had a seriously hard time of things with lots of horrendous medical problems and personal losses, all the while struggling to maintain a middling stand up career.
I like knowing that she is making some decent money and I hope, living a comfortable life after all the human waste I have watched her go through, she has earned that.
Pariah

Post by Pariah »

I have to say, that for all the snark I aimed at STD, season 3 is starting to win me over.
Yori
Title: Program

Post by Yori »

Enjoyed this week's episode. So "Carl" is the Guardian of Forever, then.
DukeofNuke

Post by DukeofNuke »

I'm up to S1-E10, and I'm really liking it so far.
I'ts hard to place this as before TOS in my head, because the technology of DISCO is so much more advanced that that of the Enterprise, so I kind of just ignore that and let it play out on it's own.
I like Lorca. His bad-assery and dedication to duty and his crew tempered by a soft spot that he only reveals in private one-on-ones with Burnham and Staments.
I like Saru. This series resident super smart non-human held back by his paranoia and self doubt.
I hope Burnham loses that chip off her shoulder as the series progresses.
Bingeing to get caught up would be great, but I remain reluctant to sign up for another streaming service.

jkahless

Post by jkahless »

human waste is about to get wild. Enjoy!

I think of the tech level as sort of like the old explanation for klingons. “They always looked that way, we just didn’t have the budget to do it properly.”
DukeofNuke

Post by DukeofNuke »

Yeah, I like the Klingons, too. I always thought they were too humanoid on the other series.